iPod nano sales off to slow start

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chameleon

I'm not surprised that sales are slow. It's the same price as a Mini for half the storage space. That's no deal.

The Nano just isn't priced to match its value.

There are several posts that have pretty well established that pretty much no store has any stock of these devices, they come in and sell out quickly.

I suppose having longer lasting, much more reliable and durable media storage type in a device that's less than half the volume has poor value. Also, the previous device didn't have a color screen. Overall, I think it's clearly a better value than the mini it replaced. As a flash-based device, I think these things are an incredible value, the 2GB unit is priced about the same or only a bit more than some competing 1GB flash devices that have a monochrome screen.
  • Reply 142 of 149
    Quote:

I'm not surprised that sales are slow.

IF they are. No reliable indications that they are...and some signals that the opposite is true.

Quote:

It's the same price as a Mini for half the storage space.

I'd bet money they found that customers wanted smaller/lighter/thinner/better battery...AND...that they weren't actually using the space that they had on their iPod minis.
  • Reply 143 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I'd bet money they found that customers wanted smaller/lighter/thinner/better battery...AND...that they weren't actually using the space that they had on their iPod minis.

Bingo bango:

I currently have 3900 files in iTunes, I think around 20 are videos. What would I want to put on a iPod nano?

- Well for a start lets put on every track that I have rated 4 or 5 stars. Thats currently 2.6GB.

- Next up I should probably add any unplayed podcasts. I don't need ones that I've already played really. At the moment there sits 12 podcasts to be listened to and they're 168.2MB. Total: 2.76GB.

- Okay so loads of space left. I guess every song that I've played more than 10 times is probably decent. So lets mix those in: there's 475 tracks at 1.74GB. **I'll explain here that I have a folder containing smart playlists, clicking the folder reveals all tracks in the playlists contained, so if the track is in Top Rated and 10+ Plays, it only shows up once** The total is 2.78GB.

- Right, so I'm now having to find out what else I can put on. I'm thinking any recently added albums or songs that I haven't yet rated so I can listen and review. Say the added in the last 3 months. That's 301 tracks and 1.09GB. The total now coming to 3.78GB and 1002 tracks. Perfect for a nano.

The 3/4 of my music is most likely not too interesting album tracks and such. If I wanted to listen to specific albums, I have a few MBs free to add them to a playlist in the nano folder. I'll stick to my 40GB iPod for the moment, but after seeing how much I can get on a nano, I must say it's mighty tempting...!
  • Reply 144 of 149
    you know, if most of the iPod fan/user base says "nah, don't want a nano", that's actually a good sign. it means apple has targeted the non-iPod-using market, which means they are targeting to grow the iPod line outside of people who already have iPods and hence are less likely to buy the nano.

i think this is the very first time on the apple website IIRC that you can clearly see a non-apple-branded desktop or laptop, running, windows of course, on their website:

for chrissakes its a bloody HP pavillion of all things

my mind is blown...
  • Reply 145 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

you know, if most of the iPod fan/user base says "nah, don't want a nano", that's actually a good sign. it means apple has targeted the non-iPod-using market, which means they are targeting to grow the iPod line outside of people who already have iPods and hence are less likely to buy the nano.

i think this is the very first time on the apple website IIRC that you can clearly see a non-apple-branded desktop or laptop, running, windows of course, on their website:

for chrissakes its a bloody HP pavillion of all things

my mind is blown...

What you see in the picture above is Apple target marketing. If you are on a P.C. viewing the site, you see an iPod plugged into a P.C. If you view the same page with a Mac, then you would see in plugged into an iBook

Voila:

• Reply 146 of 149
    that's cool
  • Reply 147 of 149
    "Never Leave A Song Behind"

(from this american campaign as spearheaded by Bush )

http://www.ed.gov/nclb/landing.jhtml?src=pb
  • Reply 148 of 149
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

If you view the same page with a Mac, then you would see in plugged into an iBook

Voila:

Uh, that's a Powerbook.
  • Reply 149 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Uh, that's a Powerbook.

You say tomayto, I say tomahto.