Apple to introduce new hardware at Apple Expo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer is expected to make at least one hardware-related product announcement during this week's Apple Expo, despite the company's decision to cancel its opening keynote presentation at the Paris show, AppleInsider has learned.

Based on previous reports, the company appears ripe to update either its PowerBook G4 laptop line, its Power Mac G5 line, or both product lines.

Apple has been working on one last PowerPC-based PowerBook G4 update that sources said would include higher resolution displays, DDR2 memory (and the Intrepid 2 chipset), larger hard disk drives, slightly improved battery life and dual-layer DVD burning SuperDrives.

The PowerBook update was previously expected to obtain Freescale's new PowerPC 7448 chip at 1.7GHz, though sources recently said ongoing developmental problems with the update may force Apple to continue to use the existing 1.67GHz PowerPC 7447 processor if it refreshes its PowerBook offerings.

Meanwhile, Apple has also been working on updates to its Power Mac G5 line of professional desktops since the latter half of 2004. Details of the update are scant, but sources previously indicated the models would each obtain two of IBM's dual-core PowerPC 970 processors for a total of four cores. The chips are each expected to run beyond 2GHz, but are not expected to reach the now mythical 3GHz PowerPC benchmark.

Indeed, our friendlies at the Mac Treasure Tracing Club have provided some early setup photos from Apple's booth at the Apple Expo, which show black curtains draped over at least one Macintosh product display area -- a telltale sign that unannounced product information lies beneath.

Apple last updated its PowerBooks in February and its Power Macs in April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    This better be true.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

This better be true.

Or else...everyone on AI will throw a temper tantrum.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    would like to see the mini get at least a 1.67ghz CPU update an a better graphix card.

I may consider updating my 1.5 Al book if the new displays are indeed a much higher res.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

I may consider updating my 1.5 Al book if the new displays are indeed a much higher res.

I'll second that. I'd love a 15" with a little bit more real estate.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Please let there be a Powerbook update as I am in the market for a new laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    PowerMacs please, I'll pass on the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

PowerMacs please, I'll pass on the PowerBooks.

I'll take what I can get. Dual-dual cores sounds almost like too much to hope for. PCI Express would be nice, too.

I'm looking to buy, if they're looking to ship...
  • Reply 8 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

I'll take what I can get. Dual-dual cores sounds almost like too much to hope for. PCI Express would be nice, too.

I'm looking to buy, if they're looking to ship...

Express is what I've been waiting for as well. That and two dual core 2.5GHz chips would be the minimum configuration for me. But I'd wait until January. I don't like to get the first rev of products like this.

PCI X is also living on borrowed time. Most companies using it have already gone to Express. Since it was mostly used by server companies, getting boards for it will become difficult end of 2006 or thereabouts.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it , does anyone else remember just what the Intrepid 2 chip is supposed to offer over the current one?

And, so much for a 2GHz 7448. I never thought we would see that.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I guess it makes some sense. We know Jobs doesn't do speed bumps at keynotes. Maybe this Powerbook and/or PowerMac speed bump just happened to coincide with the keynote, but since he didn't have any new products to announce, with the nano coming earlier, they just decided to cancel the keynote and press-release announce the new Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Shipping times at the Apple Store:

iBooks: 1-3 days

12" PowerBook w/SuperDrive: 1-2 days

Other PowerBooks: 24 hours

Dual 2.7Ghz PowerMac: 2-4 days

Other PowerMacs: 24 hours

\
  • Reply 11 of 36
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Mac mini: 24 hours
  • Reply 12 of 36
    If it's not too much trouble, maybe someone at AI could tell us when Apple Expo officially starts.

I'd rather not sit here for the remainder of the week.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    It won't be the iBooks or Mac minis. Both of those got updates this summer.

I'd venture that it's the PowerMacs given Think Secret's story, but even then I'm hesitant to make any definite claims. We have so very little information right now that people are making educated guesses at best. All we know is that there's black cloth covering at least one banner and part of the booth.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

If it's not too much trouble, maybe someone at AI could tell us when Apple Expo officially starts.

I'd rather not sit here for the remainder of the week.

You could always check their website!

It's tomorrow, the 20th.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    If they've got it covered up, it'd have to be something physically different to what has gone before.

It's pretty tricky spotting the difference a CPU upgrade brings without being able to actually use the machines. There could be quad core 3Ghz PowerMacs and dual-core 2Ghz G4 laptops sat there right on display and you'd never know unless you could go up to them and run sysinfo.

I bet the bit covered up is just where they've stashed the posters for anything that does get released. Or just covering up something unsightly that the stand fitters haven't finished yet. Maybe it's just a bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

That or it's where the pan-au-choclats are stored. Donuts in Paris? Sheesh, you New Worlders. Donuts! Sacre Bleu! ;-)
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Who knows? It could even be a new software package. There's been enough rumors about something in that line.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Who knows? It could even be a new software package. There's been enough rumors about something in that line.

There's a big iLife banner sat above the covered over bit. Perhaps they've sacked the whole iTunes interface team and iTunes 5.1 is released with an interface that an intern created in his lunch hour - can't be any worse than the 5.0 effort.

Then the intern went on to solve the iPhoto bloated library problem, reinstated the old red-eye algorithm and stopped it beachballing if you don't keep using it every 17 femtoseconds.

Seriously though, isn't it about time for an iWork update. There's a couple of niggles I have but a simple spreadsheet program to go with iWork would be nice. Then I'd have one less reason for using Office which has been driving me nuts this week as I've got a large font folder at the moment.

As long as they don't change the interface though.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    The conventional wisdom says iWork '06 is coming at MWSF in January.

But I would love to be wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

There's a big iLife banner sat above the covered over bit. Perhaps they've sacked the whole iTunes interface team and iTunes 5.1 is released with an interface that an intern created in his lunch hour - can't be any worse than the 5.0 effort.

Then the intern went on to solve the iPhoto bloated library problem, reinstated the old red-eye algorithm and stopped it beachballing if you don't keep using it every 17 femtoseconds.

Seriously though, isn't it about time for an iWork update. There's a couple of niggles I have but a simple spreadsheet program to go with iWork would be nice. Then I'd have one less reason for using Office which has been driving me nuts this week as I've got a large font folder at the moment.

As long as they don't change the interface though.

Apple needs a few things. Adobe isn't going to come out with another version of Photo Elements for Mac after 3. So iPhoto needs to really be beefed up.

Pages is great, my daughter now uses it for all of her schoolwork, but it is lacking. A simpler version of Filemaker for iWork wouldn't be a bad idea either.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

The conventional wisdom says iWork '06 is coming at MWSF in January.

But I would love to be wrong.

I think we agree with that.