Apple readying significant Mac mini update

1234568

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 174
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    I don't know why people can't simply wait a few weeks. By then all of the older units should have gone by by.



    Because too many people want it NOW!



    I wonder what Freud would have to say about this "I want it when I want it, which is now" attitude.
  • Reply 142 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i wonder if the apple store guys will get real suspicious when you go in and you're like... hey, i wanna like, get a mac mini... umm.... can i see the box first, just to, you know, see if ummm....
  • Reply 143 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ka2357

    Because too many people want it NOW!



    I wonder what Freud would have to say about this "I want it when I want it, which is now" attitude.




    Children have that attitude. It is supposed to disappear when someone matures. Adults are supposed to understand that putting something off today will gain them a greater benefit later. As in waiting until it can be assumed that the old units have been sold through,



    Other than the sold through part, that is what Freud did say.
  • Reply 144 of 174
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    Children have that attitude. It is supposed to disappear when someone matures. Adults are supposed to understand that putting something off today will gain them a greater benefit later. As in waiting until it can be assumed that the old units have been sold through,



    Other than the sold through part, that is what Freud did say.




    There wouldn't be too many banks offering credit cards if people actually took on this adult attitude you speak of.
  • Reply 145 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

    There wouldn't be too many banks offering credit cards if people actually took on this adult attitude you speak of.



    No, if you don't spend more than you can afford to pay back on a monthly basis it could be a benefit. Only those who allow their purchases to reach levels that they can't pay back fit that catagory.



    We use our AmEx card for almost everything, but we have to pay in full every month. No interest charges. We also pay off our Visa and MasterCard every month.



    It can be done - if one thinks it through.



    If you do need to buy on time, don't pay the minimum, pay as much as you possibly can. Don't go out Saturday. Sacrifice for something you really want or need. We can't have it all.
  • Reply 146 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by melgross

    No, if you don't spend more than you can afford to pay back on a monthly basis it could be a benefit. Only those who allow their purchases to reach levels that they can't pay back fit that catagory.



    We use our AmEx card for almost everything, but we have to pay in full every month. No interest charges. We also pay off our Visa and MasterCard every month.



    It can be done - if one thinks it through.



    If you do need to buy on time, don't pay the minimum, pay as much as you possibly can. Don't go out Saturday. Sacrifice for something you really want or need. We can't have it all.






    ah.. the hard lessons i have learnt after getting into $6000 AUD worth of debt after buying a powermac g5 and a dodgy/troubled housemate not paying $1000 or so in rent and bond



    1 year later, with some part time work and the help of my parents its all down to $1500 in debt now and i've cleared one of my credit cards ( i have since cut both credit cards up and just use online banking to check on them )
  • Reply 147 of 174
    I know from first hand knowledge that MacMall has 250 of these units in stock.(as of this afternoon) It appears that all you have to do is ask. Do not go to the consumer side. Two of the three people I have spoken to really have very little knowledge of what they are selling. I would say that 99% of the people that visit this site know more than they do...and yes I am including the newbies and recent switchers. Go to business sales. They will work with you and tell you what you will receive. I don't like MacMall, but they got what you want...without paying tax. Demand free shipping. they'll give it to you...probably.



    Dovetail
  • Reply 148 of 174
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman

    i wonder if the apple store guys will get real suspicious when you go in and you're like... hey, i wanna like, get a mac mini... umm.... can i see the box first, just to, you know, see if ummm....



    wait, you mean to tell me that if I go to the applw store today, i can get a 1.5Ghz Mac mini, if i check the number? or is it only from the online store?
  • Reply 149 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    well, all depends on whichever way you play the game... i have not verified this myself but according to hardmac.com, if you can know the serial number of the mac mini (its on a sticker on the side of the mac mini box as with most macs AFAIK), then you can "know" that you're getting an upgraded machine:



    http://hardmac.com/news/2005-09-30/#4559

    "Apple has sent to its certified Support Centers information related to the new Mac mini models.

    To make it short, Apple explains that modifications are considered as minors and Apple will not communicate them to the public immediately.

    Officially, the known Mac mini specifications are becoming the minimal specifications.

    But we have good news, the reference numbers for Mac mini models have been changed, so if you want to play this game hereafter are the beginning of the serial numbers for each models :

    YM531001TACG Best (M9971*/B)

    YM531001TAAE Better (M9687*/B)

    YM529022TA8M Good (M9686*/B)



    In summary, till Apple has sold out its stocks, you will have a good surprise or a "bad" surprise when receiving your computer and checking out the serial number."
  • Reply 150 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    well, tuesday morning in NYC, tues afternoon in europe, and apple has made a big announcement !! NOT. i think steve runs a gambling business on the side related to mac announcements and stuff. he's taken the guessing game up a notch this year
  • Reply 151 of 174
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman

    well, all depends on whichever way you play the game... i have not verified this myself but according to hardmac.com, if you can know the serial number of the mac mini (its on a sticker on the side of the mac mini box as with most macs AFAIK), then you can "know" that you're getting an upgraded machine:



    http://hardmac.com/news/2005-09-30/#4559

    "Apple has sent to its certified Support Centers information related to the new Mac mini models.

    To make it short, Apple explains that modifications are considered as minors and Apple will not communicate them to the public immediately.

    Officially, the known Mac mini specifications are becoming the minimal specifications.

    But we have good news, the reference numbers for Mac mini models have been changed, so if you want to play this game hereafter are the beginning of the serial numbers for each models :

    YM531001TACG Best (M9971*/B)

    YM531001TAAE Better (M9687*/B)

    YM529022TA8M Good (M9686*/B)



    In summary, till Apple has sold out its stocks, you will have a good surprise or a "bad" surprise when receiving your computer and checking out the serial number."




    This is incorrect. These serial numbers belong to the first bump in the mini's performance back when they upgraded the RAM to 512MB.



    If you want to get the newest upgrade check my post here for the correct serial numbers.
  • Reply 152 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    rongold, apple is giving away the full version of iWork with every mac mini ???? WTF ?? i think you're mistaking it for "(30-day trial)" as on the tech specs page
  • Reply 153 of 174
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    You may be correct. I never actually use these programs so I have not yet checked.

    Nevertheless; the information they posted is off by 2 months in manufacturing dates. You will not get the new Mac mini if you have packaging with serial numbers that predate the 37-36 week manufacturing period.
  • Reply 154 of 174
    I walked into the Dallas, Know Street Apple Store last night to see if they had they had the newest of the new. The sales dork talked to me as if I were a gullable idiot. (I may be , but that isn't the point of this story)He told me that the "small" changes were due to, and only due to, part constraints. I rambled off three of the changes that I am aware of, the 32 to 64 mg vram, dual layer 8 x's DVD and somewhat major drive speed increase. He continued to tow the company line by insisting these were minor changes, not upgrades. I swear Apple brainwashes their employees worse than Wal-Mart.



    Dovetail
  • Reply 155 of 174
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dovetail

    I walked into the Dallas, Know Street Apple Store last night to see if they had they had the newest of the new. The sales dork talked to me as if I were a gullable idiot. (I may be , but that isn't the point of this story)He told me that the "small" changes were due to, and only due to, part constraints. I rambled off three of the changes that I am aware of, the 32 to 64 mg vram, dual layer 8 x's DVD and somewhat major drive speed increase. He continued to tow the company line by insisting these were minor changes, not upgrades. I swear Apple brainwashes their employees worse than Wal-Mart.



    Dovetail




    Well in Britain all the Apple reps I've spoken to seem intelligent - I've had chats with them in the past and you can tell where the company line starts - but you can basically get them to agree with the unofficial stance. Maybe it's a stupid rep or he's just sticking to the company line like he's told.



    Do you remember the iPod mini's that has 5GB hard drives - this was due to part restrictions but firmware blocked the better features - also the old PowerMacs had better optical drives which were blocked.



    If Apple admit there are new computers people will stop buying the current ones - and let's be honest they must have a lot Mac Minis left -or it's a major change in strategy.
  • Reply 156 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dovetail

    I walked into the Dallas, Know Street Apple Store last night to see if they had they had the newest of the new. The sales dork talked to me as if I were a gullable idiot. (I may be , but that isn't the point of this story)He told me that the "small" changes were due to, and only due to, part constraints. I rambled off three of the changes that I am aware of, the 32 to 64 mg vram, dual layer 8 x's DVD and somewhat major drive speed increase. He continued to tow the company line by insisting these were minor changes, not upgrades. I swear Apple brainwashes their employees worse than Wal-Mart.



    Dovetail




    It's very strange. They simply didn't carry this off well. Why they didn't stick to their standard procedure of waiting until the supply chain was almost out of stock before releasing this is something that will be talked about for some time.
  • Reply 157 of 174
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It's very strange. They simply didn't carry this off well. Why they didn't stick to their standard procedure of waiting until the supply chain was almost out of stock before releasing this is something that will be talked about for some time.



    maybe because the rumours are getting more mainstream because of Apple's popularity - if supply begins to run low people will stop buying?
  • Reply 158 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    maybe because the rumours are getting more mainstream because of Apple's popularity - if supply begins to run low people will stop buying?



    That's always possible, but what is sometimes forgotten on these threads is that almost no one reads them. Despite the fact that there are thousand of people that go to the Apple rumor sites as well as other sites that discuss Apple products and such, like Arstechnica, the VAST majority of potential customers have NO idea about any of this.



    They read the mass media and talk to their friends and colleagues, then make up their mind. They go in to buy a computer. All they know here is that it's that "cute" little Mac. They have no idea as to what's in it. No idea about the software except maybe for some vague rememberence of something someone told them, or that they might have read. They might know that it burns DVD's but they probably won't be doing that anyway, etc.



    It's why most people I speak to have no idea that Apple is going to Intel.



    As a matter of fact, most people aren't even aware that Apple isn't on Intel NOW.



    Those are the typical consumer customers.
  • Reply 159 of 174
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    The MHz increase isnt great, its 0.08GHz, 80MHz, less than 6%. The hard drive and graphics are the bigger change.
  • Reply 160 of 174
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ajprice

    The MHz increase isnt great, its 0.08GHz, 80MHz, less than 6%. The hard drive and graphics are the bigger change.



    Dude... for Moto, 80MHz is huuuuge... I remember when 50MHz was a big Moto bump \
Sign In or Register to comment.