• Reply 163 of 174
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merlion

stupid

Grow a sense of humor.
  • Reply 164 of 174
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    overall, for pc switchers with existing displays and keyboard/mouse, the mac mini updates make a very compelling package. i am really puzzled about the stealth updates though, like i said, we are in the christmas frenzy financial quarter, apple really *should* announce the updates. although i agree most people picking up a mac mini wouldn't really know or care... obviously pc and mac "enthusiasts" are not a major part of the mac mini target audience \
  • Reply 165 of 174
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Jobs will be announcing the new powerbooks and minimacs next week and will NOT announce the video ipod but he will be announcing something else very big. PIXR Stock will soar.
  • Reply 166 of 174
    the full pixar catalog available as downloadable h.264 hi def 1080p, 720p and also EDTV 480p ?
  • Reply 167 of 174
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

the full pixar catalog available as downloadable h.264 hi def 1080p, 720p and also EDTV 480p ?

Ho ho ho.
  • Reply 168 of 174
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

Jobs will be announcing the new powerbooks and minimacs next week and will NOT announce the video ipod but he will be announcing something else very big. PIXR Stock will soar.

The cancellation of Cars?
  • Reply 169 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The cancellation of Cars?

You don't like CARS?
  • Reply 170 of 174
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i am really puzzled about the stealth updates though

Ive thought about it a lot, and can only come up with one reason. Apple has run out of inventory for their online store, and perhaps, the retail stores as well. But their other channels are still holding significant inventory of the older models. If they released the new model then it would cost them a lot of money to refresh their partners inventories. So rather than do that they just started shipping the new models to stores that need the inventory, and are waiting for the old models to run dry.
  • Reply 171 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Ive thought about it a lot, and can only come up with one reason. Apple has run out of inventory for their online store, and perhaps, the retail stores as well. But their other channels are still holding significant inventory of the older models. If they released the new model then it would cost them a lot of money to refresh their partners inventories. So rather than do that they just started shipping the new models to stores that need the inventory, and are waiting for the old models to run dry.

That does sound logical. I can't think of why it wouldn't be correct. But who knows? They usually make sure that the web store and their own have better supplies than the third party retailers.
  • Reply 172 of 174
    given apple's track record these past few years with their 3rd party dealers, they don't give a rat's ass about their dealers. but yeah, looks like we are all still in the dark about this.

you do have a point though, in that AFAIK these dealers do not have price guarantees. that means that if 3rd party dealers have a lot of older mac mini models in their channel, if apple announces price cuts, the dealers have to sell the older models at the lower retail price even though they bought it at the higher price from apple. so this means their margins will be seriously eroded or worst case, they make a loss on the older models.

if the stealth upgrades are because of apple being nicer to their dealers then i'm happy for that. if not, then it's still somewhat bizzarro.
  • Reply 173 of 174
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Has anyone pointed out that the eMac still tops out at 1.42Ghz? Perhaps Apple is preparing an updated eMac, and doesn't want to list a Mac Mini with a 1.5Ghz processor until the eMac is ready to be announced. Perhaps the eMac got delayed a few weeks, or old supplies for the Mini depleted sooner than they anticipated, so they had to start using the new components in the Mini and are just keeping it hush hush until the new eMac is ready.

Of course, they seem to have no problem selling their entry eMac with 256MB of RAM while every other machine they make ships with 512, but it's an idea.
  • Reply 174 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Has anyone pointed out that the eMac still tops out at 1.42Ghz? Perhaps Apple is preparing an updated eMac, and doesn't want to list a Mac Mini with a 1.5Ghz processor until the eMac is ready to be announced. Perhaps the eMac got delayed a few weeks, or old supplies for the Mini depleted sooner than they anticipated, so they had to start using the new components in the Mini and are just keeping it hush hush until the new eMac is ready.

Of course, they seem to have no problem selling their entry eMac with 256MB of RAM while every other machine they make ships with 512, but it's an idea.

It's tough to say about this. I've been thinking about the eMac. I wish I knew what percentage of sales went to the education market vs. the home market. The Ed. market is very conservative. They are also behind in almost every area. They don't care as much. They mostly want consistency.

I know something about this as I do work for the Bd of Ed here in NYC (unpaid consultant).

So I also wonder when it will get the x86 treatment. People can guess, but it's not easy.