Apple introduces Aperture

Comments

• Reply 401 of 537
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Well then it's not JPEG anymore, is it?

If you go back and look at my post where I first bring up editing JPEGs in Aperture, you'll see that I was using Aperture as something that breaks the long-held truism in Photoshop: Never work with JPEGs. Always convert them to PSD or TIFF, because each time you re-save the image as a JPEG you are degrading the image.

This a workflow that anyone who knows Photoshop knows not to do:

1. Open JPEG.

2. Make change (e.g. contrast, channels, whatever).

3. Save & close file.

4. Change mind.

5. Open JPEG.

6. Make new change.

7. Save & close file.

Every time you save the JPEG in Photoshop you degrade it. (Unless you backed up the original JPEG, you have lost the "digital negative" after even the very first Save.)

That workflow is perfectly fine in Aperture (as long as you think JPEGs are OK). The JPEG is treated as a digital negative. No changes are made to it no matter how many times you make corrections. Only when you export it out of Aperture does it get modified.

So if you change your mind, just edit it again in Aperture and export it out again--you get a fresh copy with none of the degradation from the first time you exported it.

Purty nice!

I agree with you on this.

I'm only saying that if the file is saved (exported) to another program such as inDesign or Quark. as a JPEG, the same problem still occurs no matter which program was used to edit it. The final save (export) should never be made as a JPEG. That's all.
  • Reply 402 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I'm only saying that if the file is saved (exported) to another program such as inDesign or Quark. as a JPEG, the same problem still occurs no matter which program was used to edit it. The final save (export) should never be made as a JPEG. That's all.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about intermediate saves. That was always a no-no in Photoshop.

Intermediate saves are not a no-no in Aperture--because they're not destructive.

For some reason, you beat around the bush and refuse to acknowledge this point.

Are you running for political office?
  • Reply 403 of 537
    Quote:

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about intermediate saves. That was always a no-no in Photoshop.

Intermediate saves are not a no-no in Aperture--because they're not destructive.

For some reason, you beat around the bush and refuse to acknowledge this point.

Are you running for political office?

What is wrong with you? Can't you read something and understand what is being said?

I said "I agree with you on this."

I said that when the file is within the program, you are right. Is that difficult to understand? Because you seem to miss most of a post if the post agrees with you, and burrow down to a point in the post that is saying something that you don't want to acknowledge.

I doubt if anyone else could have missed what I said.

One last time. When you export the jpeg as a jpeg there will be losses.

When you are in Aperture there might not be, if Aperture handles jpeg's the way it handles RAW files.

That's really pretty clear.

And since you don't know how Aperture handles jpegs within the program you can't say if it's true or not at this time.

I never beat around the bush. I say exactly what the situation is. You just don't want to understand what I'm saying.

And so I suppose I can do this too -
  • Reply 404 of 537
    double post
  • Reply 405 of 537
    Quote:

What is wrong with you? Can't you read something and understand what is being said?

I said "I agree with you on this."

One last time. When you export the jpeg as a jpeg there will be losses.

When you are in Aperture there might not be

Person 1: "The world is round."

Person 2: "I agree with you that the world might be round."

Huh?

That's not agreement.

Anyway, nice talking to you, but 10.4.3 has killed my wife's machine. So I won't be around these parts for a while.
  • Reply 406 of 537
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Oops, meant to add this very good article from the site as well.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7887-8063

I posted a link to Rob's Oct 30th article on Oct 30th.
  • Reply 407 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

I posted a link to Rob's Oct 30th article on Oct 30th.

Sorry, I didn't remember.

But the truth is, on these threads, if it's two posts back, people won't see it.
  • Reply 408 of 537
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
  • Reply 409 of 537
    Very helpful!

• Reply 410 of 537
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

One is that video is every electronic delivery mode of moving images, i.e. movies, TV shows.

This one is up for debate. But strictly speaking uncompressed data is not really considered a video format.

Quote:

Right now, there are three completely different standards in theater digital projectors. Sony and Warner have been negotiating (fighting) about what standard will be used. Right now, Disney is also in the middle of it because of its 3D flick whuch will only work on digital projection.

The reason for this is as in all technology. Several companies want their proprietary system to become standard.

The studios established the Digital Cinema Initiative to settle much of this debate. Sony and Texas Instruments will still battle it out whether Sony's SXRD chips or Texas Instruments DLP sensors are better.

Also Sony and Warner Bros are battling over Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Avid for the Mac is using Core Image

Quote:

Integrated real-time Core Image effects

Avid offers the only professional editing solutions that directly integrate Mac OS X v10.4 Core Image technology for dynamic real-time effects with Noise Industries Factory Tools. You can even use Quartz Compositions, including those you design yourself, as custom real-time AVX filters.

avid.com/mac

• Reply 411 of 537
    And some more info about Aperture is finally coming out.

PDN is a pretty respected mag in the photo business here in NYC. We used to advertise in it, and did comp work for them as well.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...005/11/14/1830
  • Reply 412 of 537
    Quote:

10.4.3 has killed my wife's machine. So I won't be around these parts for a while.

It turns out the 10.4.3 update quite literally killed my wife's machine!

But then she had one of those 2003 iBooks with the logic board problem. I brought it in to an Apple store to be fixed, 3 years and a day after we bought it. Luckily, Apple acquiesed and ignored the 1-day-late problem, and we should be getting a fixed machine in a few days.

Thank you, Apple. (I wonder if they even stock a 3-year-old 800 MHz G3 board?)
  • Reply 413 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Avid for the Mac is using Core Image

Via Noise Industry Factory Tools. If we're going to go that far, InDesign also uses CoreImage.
  • Reply 414 of 537
    So do we know what of the newer dSLR cameras are supported by Aperture yet?

The Nikon d50 and d70s are not supported (or at least arent on Apples list of supported cameras) and who knows if the new Canon 5D and Nikon 200 will be supported and how long it will take to make them that way.

I hope Apple makes this a priority with Aperture as it would be a shame to have a $500 program made for RAW pictures and not be able to use the RAW pics you take with your dSLR.
  • Reply 415 of 537
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlyafterdark

So do we know what of the newer dSLR cameras are supported by Aperture yet?

The Nikon d50 and d70s are not supported (or at least arent on Apples list of supported cameras) and who knows if the new Canon 5D and Nikon 200 will be supported and how long it will take to make them that way.

I hope Apple makes this a priority with Aperture as it would be a shame to have a $500 program made for RAW pictures and not be able to use the RAW pics you take with your dSLR.

Aperture works with the CR2 format (used by Canon) but does not mention some of the specific cameras which use it, I assume that list is for extended support.

I have a Canon EOS 350D - the same model as the Rebel XT and the Rebel XT has recently been added but there's still no EOS 350D. However as it uses the CR2 format there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 416 of 537
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

It turns out the 10.4.3 update quite literally killed my wife's machine!

But then she had one of those 2003 iBooks with the logic board problem. I brought it in to an Apple store to be fixed, 3 years and a day after we bought it. Luckily, Apple acquiesed and ignored the 1-day-late problem, and we should be getting a fixed machine in a few days.

Thank you, Apple. (I wonder if they even stock a 3-year-old 800 MHz G3 board?)

They do, they replaced my 700 MHz G3 ibook logic board last July.
  • Reply 417 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Aperture works with the CR2 format (used by Canon) but does not mention some of the specific cameras which use it, I assume that list is for extended support.

I have a Canon EOS 350D - the same model as the Rebel XT and the Rebel XT has recently been added but there's still no EOS 350D. However as it uses the CR2 format there shouldn't be a problem.

An interesting point about Canon's software is that it makes its changes in a seperate file that can be changed later (non-destructively!) for the same image, or, can be applied to ANY other image.

I wonder if Apple got some of their ideas from Canon.

The software also tracks offline image libraries, unlike Aperture.
  • Reply 418 of 537
    Quote:

An interesting point about Canon's software is that it makes its changes in a seperate file that can be changed later (non-destructively!) for the same image, or, can be applied to ANY other image.

Making changes to a copy of the same file is not editing non-destructively. That's what we do in Photoshop all the time(duplicating layers). What Aperture does is on the original file except it's not permanent so you don't have copies cluttering up your hard drive.

I doubt they took that from Canon since that been around in PS for a long time in the form of layer styles. Essencialy every Core Image filter is a layer style it's applied on top and can be modified or deleted at any time. Unlike PS filters from the from the FILTER menu.
  • Reply 419 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

Making changes to a copy of the same file is not editing non-destructively. That's what we do in Photoshop all the time(duplicating layers). What Aperture does is on the original file except it's not permanent so you don't have copies cluttering up your hard drive.

I doubt they took that from Canon since that been around in PS for a long time in the form of layer styles. Essencialy every Core Image filter is a layer style it's applied on top and can be modified or deleted at any time. Unlike PS filters from the from the FILTER menu.

You're not listening, are you? Reread what I said. No copies of a file are being made.
  • Reply 420 of 537
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

A JPEG doesn't reveal the "native image" off the sensor. Only RAW files do that. It's why they are called RAW. A JPEG is a HIGHLY processed lossy representation of the original image file.

Yes a jpeg or any other pic format other than raw (TIFF used to exist) is a dematrixing process. Excepting the foveon, any sensor use the Bayer's matrix technology.

Because basically the sensor have 4 kinds of pixels : two green, one red, one blue. This 4 square pattern is repeted all the way in the sensor. The DSP of the camera, has to interpolate the result of all adjacents photosites in order to know the color of the central photosite. But DSP are doing much more than color interpolation, they are doing some accentuation, level corrections, noise reduction .... and jpeg compression. All these post processing enhance the quality pic, but supress the original information, and let's say detail.

The raw do not do this, it's only the collection of the signal coming from each photosite.

The dematrixing has to be done by the computer, and the dematrixing in itself is destructive.

Photoshop start by a dematrixing, in order to have a pic, and then you work in the pic.

Aperture work on the raw, and the dematrixing and the filters applied are displayed in real time in order to be able to watch them on the screen, but the truth is that aperture really work with the raw, and not by a transformation of the raw like photoshop.

So photoshop is

you take a raw, and obtain a photoshop file (with all the layers you want)

but aperture is

you take a raw and add all the layers you want. The raw is never converted in aperture at the difference of photoshop. It's only converted by core image in real time in order to display a pic. That's why this software is so power hungry.

I hope I have been clear