Apple introduces Aperture

Comments

• Reply 441 of 537
    I would max mine out but a 2gig stick of DDR2 ram in Canada is not cheap.

Im just going to have to live with a 1gig stick.

• Reply 442 of 537
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I was looking at Adobe Bridge and it seems to offer a few of the features found in Aperture.. For example, rating and minor adjustments. Obviously there is the matter of non-destructive editing.

I was just wondering if anyone here had used both and would like to tell me that I'm wrong etc! As it i Is can't afford an upgrade to CS but I can afford Aperture.

EDIT: Downloading Photoshop CS 2 now so I'll soon see what it's like.
  • Reply 443 of 537
    I'll answer my own question!

It seems that Bridge is an advanced finder - great for multiple platforms because it provides a consistent interface. It also has good metadata support and would be great for storing project information. However, I have the same problem with this as I do with Version Cue, I prefer a Finder driven workspace. This is due to the integration Finder has with other applications. I know Bridge is just another way of browsing your stuff but I think Finder is easier to use and faster. This is only after a few minutes use though!

Aperture will be ordered in January.
  • Reply 444 of 537
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I'll answer my own question!

It seems that Bridge is an advanced finder - great for multiple platforms because it provides a consistent interface. It also has good metadata support and would be great for storing project information. However, I have the same problem with this as I do with Version Cue, I prefer a Finder driven workspace. This is due to the integration Finder has with other applications. I know Bridge is just another way of browsing your stuff but I think Finder is easier to use and faster. This is only after a few minutes use though!

Aperture will be ordered in January.

Bridge was really designed (as was Version Cue) to give Windows users the functionality that Mac users have with file organization.

Adobe will look very hard at Aperture, you can be sure. I expect to recieve my first beta within a couple of months. I'm very interested in seeing whether Adobe has incorporated any new functionality into these products. They have said that they intend to expand their abilities.

CS3 could be a very interesting upgrade.
  • Reply 445 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

CS3 could be a very interesting upgrade.

Indeed, there is no question about my giving up CS - it's just whether to purchase Aperture in addition. The browse tool in CS1 is quite good - in fact it's very useful for multiple image editing.

Any idea when CS3 is expected. I was thinking of getting CS2 but I bought CS 1 last July and then CS2 came out in April so thought I could have waited. I want to get it when it's new - so to speak.
  • Reply 446 of 537
    Quote:

Indeed, there is no question about my giving up CS - it's just whether to purchase Aperture in addition. The browse tool in CS1 is quite good - in fact it's very useful for multiple image editing.

Any idea when CS3 is expected. I was thinking of getting CS2 but I bought CS 1 last July and then CS2 came out in April so thought I could have waited. I want to get it when it's new - so to speak.

I usually get my first beta about 6 months before the release.

But this year, I wonder what will happen. with Adobe working on the universal binary as well, the product could be delayed further.
  • Reply 447 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I usually get my first beta about 6 months before the release.

But this year, I wonder what will happen. with Adobe working on the universal binary as well, the product could be delayed further.

Yeah I was wondering that. Cheers
  • Reply 448 of 537
  • Reply 449 of 537
    Not in the UK yet. To the Apple store next week then to test it though!
  • Reply 450 of 537
    Hello, I am by no means a pro photog. but a contractor. I have been using iPhoto to view tiff files of plan sets because Preview is painfully slow, and opening files individually in Safari is a pain.

My problem is that iPhoto is very slow at panning around the image. Is aperature any faster...

17 PB 1.67, 1GB ram
  • Reply 451 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

Hello, I am by no means a pro photog. but a contractor. I have been using iPhoto to view tiff files of plan sets because Preview is painfully slow, and opening files individually in Safari is a pain.

My problem is that iPhoto is very slow at panning around the image. Is aperature any faster...

17 PB 1.67, 1GB ram

Wait until it gets out for a few days to get several views on that. Right now we are basically guessing.

I'm assuming that your model also has 128MB RAM. If not, it won't install at all, according to Apple.
  • Reply 452 of 537
    baker did list his specs which was 1 gig of ram.
  • Reply 453 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

baker did list his specs which was 1 gig of ram.

I'm sorry, I meant 128MB VIDEO RAM.
  • Reply 454 of 537
    Hoiw do I find Video Ram?
  • Reply 455 of 537
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Apple menu-> About this mac-> more information... -> Graphics/screens

The exact words can be a little different. I am on a danish system right now...
  • Reply 456 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Apple menu-> About this mac-> more information... -> Graphics/screens

The exact words can be a little different. I am on a danish system right now...

You can install Aperture on 64MB VRAM - you just need the modern cards. Either an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or a 9600.
  • Reply 457 of 537
    Quote:

You can install Aperture on 64MB VRAM - you just need the modern cards. Either an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or a 9600.

Apple says 128MB.

Have you installed it on a machine with less? The compatibility app seems to give the wrong answere too often.
  • Reply 458 of 537
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Aperture is now shipping:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ts/AppleStore/

Hmm : I ordered mine the 10/20 and it will be shipped the 15/12. Something is wrong here.
  • Reply 459 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Hmm : I ordered mine the 10/20 and it will be shipped the 15/12. Something is wrong here.

Maybe they're using European dating?

The 15th of December? Still sounds a bit late, but it is possible.
  • Reply 460 of 537
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I'll say, there's only 12 months in the year :P

It'll probably get bumped up though.