Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 261 of 2106
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    In the end it isn't the media that matters to me. It's the DRM. I rarely DL something for free and even then it is usually because I can't get it any other way.

What matters to me (as far as video applications go) is that I can pump it from my basement home theater to the other HDTV's in my house. If the DRM prevents that, then I won't invest in it. Period. I will just use a signal processor/line doubler with regular DVD's and save the "data" on a MythTV server.

In the end, while I love a good picture, the convienece factor will help me make the final determinaion. If the studios can protect themselves without trashing the use of the product for legal consumers, most people won't care.

Corey
  • Reply 262 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Panasonic announces $1499 Blu Ray player

The BDA is going to have to do some cost containing here. There are almost as many players over $1000 as under.
  • Reply 263 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Panasonic didn't announce a price they only said <$1500. Keep in mind the blu ray group always had the PS3 for the low price ranges too.
  • Reply 264 of 2106
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    NIETHER!

Are you kidding me?

Removable media is soon to be obsolete, that includes HD or Blu-Ray.

DVD's of any kind will be replaced with downloadable and streamable HD movies on demand through iTunes, just like what happened to CD's.

I mean common people, that's like debating what the next typewritter standard is going to be.

I have a post on this on my blog
  • Reply 265 of 2106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

I have a post on this on my blog

That's great. Good luck with your blog. Clearly it's new, seeing as this is only the second post on it. Please keep in mind that pointing people to your blog like this is "not cool", i.e. against netiquette.
  • Reply 266 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    PS3 will not sell for less than 400.

PS3 will lose this generation.

if anyone can remember me a few years down the road remember what i have said here today.
  • Reply 267 of 2106
    I seriously doubt the PS3 will lose. The xbox 360 is a remarkably unimpressive machine and is far too noisy to be in a lounge room. The early games are for the most part distinctly average. For instance Perfect Dark Zero's physics is completely horrendous and even Oblivion isn't that amazing outside of some visuals. Most games so far for the system just look badly rushed. There are better games out for the xbox and PS2. The early purchasers are those that will buy a PS3 as well so that won't win it for Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong the xbox 360 isn't a bad system but I doubt it'll be the leading console when all is said and done. Sad as it is I think Sony's pretty safe in this one.
  • Reply 268 of 2106
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Myself have a PS2 and previous to that PS1 and both have been superb machines. I had a good play on the 360 and found the control pad being awful to use compare to the PS2 and to be honest the games I played call of Duty 2 and Halo 2 just didn't do it for me. I put this down to the controller. I don't play the Ps2 very often and infact the Mrs uses it for the Sing Star Kareoke!. Sony have more users than XBox and the fact the games are downwards compatabile means they will retain market share so hence beat the competion. Like anything in the techno world its not the hardware that counts but the software just like the old vhs/betamax and video 2000!

Toshiba have brought out the first HD player in Japan today so the "War" starts now but again it's what film titles are avilalble for either format that will win over the consumers.

• Reply 269 of 2106
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

PS3 will lose this generation.

if anyone can remember me a few years down the road remember what i have said here today.

Oooh. Predictions. Here's mine: Microsoft will be bankrupt in 5 years. Mark my words.

-- and I hardly ever use the LOL smiley.
  • Reply 270 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Oooh. Predictions. Here's mine: Microsoft will be bankrupt in 5 years. Mark my words.

-- and I hardly ever use the LOL smiley.

Me thinks that this was a post you should have saved for tomorrow.
  • Reply 271 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I seriously doubt the PS3 will lose. The xbox 360 is a remarkably unimpressive machine and is far too noisy to be in a lounge room. The early games are for the most part distinctly average. For instance Perfect Dark Zero's physics is completely horrendous and even Oblivion isn't that amazing outside of some visuals. Most games so far for the system just look badly rushed. There are better games out for the xbox and PS2. The early purchasers are those that will buy a PS3 as well so that won't win it for Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong the xbox 360 isn't a bad system but I doubt it'll be the leading console when all is said and done. Sad as it is I think Sony's pretty safe in this one.

see this is where you lack experience right now. i dont know if you follow the gaming community, websites, or anything like that but many investment firms keep track, including mine and right now the xbox is scoring big here in teh states, europe , and australia.

it is very rare to get a smash title on launch, the further down we go, the hard this will be. however games right now coming out for the 360 are amazing.

oblivion is prob one of the best role playing games out there, its going to take the genre by storm. ghost recon is another huge title , great game.

by time the PS3 comes out the xbox will have so many great games out, then considering the very slow launch ps3 will have......

ya know we'll just wait...... i promise i wont back down when my predictions are right, everyone will feel my wraith.
  • Reply 272 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

see this is where you lack experience right now. i dont know if you follow the gaming community, websites, or anything like that but many investment firms keep track, including mine and right now the xbox is scoring big here in teh states, europe , and australia.

it is very rare to get a smash title on launch, the further down we go, the hard this will be. however games right now coming out for the 360 are amazing.

oblivion is prob one of the best role playing games out there, its going to take the genre by storm. ghost recon is another huge title , great game.

by time the PS3 comes out the xbox will have so many great games out, then considering the very slow launch ps3 will have......

ya know we'll just wait...... i promise i wont back down when my predictions are right, everyone will feel my wraith.

Do you actually own a xbox 360? Have you even played one? Oblivion is an ok RPG but it is far from the best, it just looks pretty.

The xbox 360 failed to meet initial sales guidances in the US and in Australia it only sold two thirds of the expected units in the first week. I know at least one major retail chain was rather disappointed with the console launch and their promotional DVD they stopped showing because they were afraid it'd turn people away from buying the console. It'll do well enough but the same investment firms you are talking about are the very ones that are anticipating Sony to hold a 50% or so market share with the PS3.

Edit: The fundamental problem for Microsoft is they still don't have anything for the younger market. They have nothing to compete with the EyeToy or SingStar, they remain weak in appealing to the Japanese market and regurgitating the same old stuff with prettier graphics isn't going to be enough. It doesn't help that the console lacks backwards compatibility as well. 200 games does not make a console backwards compatible. A lot are missing and that hurts.
  • Reply 273 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

ghost recon is another huge title , great game.

And you can get Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for the PS2, and regular XBOX anyway. It's not like these games are offering much more than current titles for the last systems. PS3 is far beyond the 360, and going to lay the mack down on it. I think a lot of 360 Owners are going to regret that purchase when PS3 comes out. I already know a few that do.
  • Reply 274 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

And you can get Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for the PS2, and regular XBOX anyway. It's not like these games are offering much more than current titles for the last systems. PS3 is far beyond the 360, and going to lay the mack down on it. I think a lot of 360 Owners are going to regret that purchase when PS3 comes out. I already know a few that do.

i dont want to start a console war because those are pointless.

i will just say wait and see.
  • Reply 275 of 2106
    apparently no-one wants to comment on this.

why?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4857306.stm
  • Reply 276 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

apparently no-one wants to comment on this.

why?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4857306.stm

It said the technology could eventually lead to a holographic disc that could hold more than 100 DVD-quality movies.

Mainly because this technology has been "eventually leading" to nothing for quite some time. There are very few backers to this technology, and from the information I've read, this technology is still quite a ways off. Like, after 2010 ways off. So, I think in regards to HVDs competing with the current competing HD formats in Blu-ray and HD DVD, the perceived copetition is no more than wishful thinking. Maybe, in 5 years HVDs could make dent into the market, but by then I think Blu-ray will have already become the norm.
  • Reply 277 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I wouldn't hold my breath for that holographic storage. Now, if there were a Blu-ray carousel holding 100 discs, sort of like an Imation Disc Stakka with a built-in burner, I'd be all over it. Imagine 100 50GB discs available at the click of a mouse. That's 5 terabytes, enough to satisfy the storage needs of any individual or small business. Considering the Stakka only costs $100, it shouldn't cost too much to graft something like it onto a Blu-ray vertical slot-load drive. Heck, they were using automated selector mechanisms in jukeboxes back in the '50s. Come on, Sony, get on the ball!
  • Reply 278 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Holographic storage may have its time in the future but I'm thinking that it's going to be a bit too expensive by that time.

Blu Ray and HD DVD will both be strictly consumer formats. Neither is fast enough or capacious enough to suit the needs of SMB and Enterprise clients. They'd need to be on the level of Ultrium 3 capacity and speed (400/800GB and 80MBps)

LTO4/Ultrium 4 will bump this to 800/1.6 Terabytes at 120MBps. Now what fool of a company is going to replace this horsepower for a Blu Ray drive that does at best 50GB per disc and what 8MBps???

Yes Holographic storage will have its place but it will NOT be a movie distribution format for prerecorded content.
  • Reply 279 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I figured I'd post this little bit of news before I started hearing how Sony's PS3 was going to be hella expensive.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15937

Fornay's comments are not an indication of PS3 pricing - Sony

Quote:

Rob Fahey 12:02 06/04/2006

Statements made on French radio have been "mistranslated or misunderstood"

Comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment France boss Georges Fornay which appeared to indicate the price point for PlayStation 3 have been misinterpreted and do not allude to the price of the system, the company has told GamesIndustry.biz.

The idea that Fornay's mention of 499 to 599 Euro price ranges was an indication of the PS3's price point is "a mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player," according to SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples.

The SCE France boss' discussion of the pricing on French radio station Europe 1 was focused on the fact that the PS3 would be priced very competitively compared to other Bluray products if it were to emerge at $500, but that this price point is well above the range of other game console products, according to Sharples.

"Mr Fornay explained that, with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly below this price," Sharples told GamesIndustry.biz.

"At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect.

"He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the current price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good value when looking at the BD and HD technology inside," he concluded.

While Sharples' clarification of Fornay's comments doesn't actually shed any new light on the question of PlayStation 3's price point - the opposite, if anything - it does open up the possibility that the firm could be planning to introduce the console at a price lower than the 500 Euro / $500 mark.

When the company talks about "current video games machines," it is almost certainly excluding the Xbox 360 from the equation, and talking specifically about the PSP and PS2 platforms - with the implication being that the pricing will fall somewhere well above their price points (between 150 and 180 Euro) but well below the pricing of Bluray devices (between 600 and 800 Euro).

That's an enormous range, of course, but it does leave open the potential for the PS3 to launch at the 400 Euro price point - exactly the same space that was occupied by the Xbox 360 premium pack when it arrived late last year.

• Reply 280 of 2106