Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 221 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I wonder how much it costs to press an HD-DVD?

A lot more. Guy over on AVS said his own personal quote as $50k for Blu Ray and like a tenth of that for HD DVD for a small run. If you're not a big studio you're not going to get subsidized and then you will feel the effects of the higher costs.

Quote:

Even with a universal player I feel that the competing standards are going to work against widespread consumer acceptance of either HD or BR. Both formats are starting to look more and more like niche products

Only until someone purchases a HDTV and see's what quality they get. I thought ComcastHD was good but HD DVD was better in every way.
  • Reply 222 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Only until someone purchases a HDTV and see's what quality they get. I thought ComcastHD was good but HD DVD was better in every way.

I bet once the HD DVD comes out, full 1080i HD-DVD title on 1080p display will look better than on the 720p displays and can end the 1080p vs. 720p display discussions... lol

As much as I want a High Definition movie format, I would hesitate to purchase HD-DVD alone player, but I would buy a BD alone player(I must be biased towards BD.... not sure why),...... However, the universal player will come as my first choice.... Hope one of the company makes a decent one under $1K, possibly around $600....
  • Reply 223 of 2106
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    After reading this article:

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6582

Blu-Ray is my choice!

I see the "New PowerMacs" (Mac Pro?) to be the first Blu-Ray on the Macintosh.

• Reply 224 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Bestbuy is now taking preorders on the Sony BD-player. ETA on the website states 7/2/06 to 7/10/06..... much earlier. However, $1K for uni-format player is hard to swallow. I'll definately stand on the sideline and wait for the reviews on the player first. I would expect the player to breeze through some of the videophile performance requirements at $1k price tag. Well, if it also plays SACD better than my Denon2900, then I might bite to the early adopter path...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....19&lid=P1_m31a
  • Reply 225 of 2106
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I've found Comcast's HD service to be hit and miss. I can't wait for Blu-Ray so I can satisfy my lust for HD content!

I'm not sure when I'll by a player, but I can say for sure that I won't until there's some discs out there. I'm glad Netflix is supporting both disc formats though.
  • Reply 226 of 2106
    After seeing the HD DVD demo's I'm certainly looking forward to a Blu Ray roadshow with some quality demos
  • Reply 227 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Samsung is releasing a triple-writer Blu-ray drive for only $600 in May...

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/pers...blu-ray-burner

Quote:

Samsung Blu-ray burner out in May

PC drive will cost £340 wholesale, and write CDs and DVDs as well as Blu-ray

Clive Akass, Personal Computer World 21 Mar 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

Samsung will have a Blu-ray read-write drive on the market as early as mid-May for a wholesale price of around $600 (£340 approx), the company revealed today. The drive will be 'triple write', which means it will also burn CD and DVD disks.

The price is just $100 more than that of Toshiba's first high-definition player using rival HD-DVD technology ? and that cannot burn disks.

The Samsung announcement came as a surprise as at Cebit the company said it would launch its first Blu-ray player on 24 May, to coincide with the release of the first Blu-ray movie titles, and that a burner would not be available until later this year.

There has also been speculation about copy-protection problems, after Sony cited Blu-ray troubles as a reason for postponing its Playstation 3 launch.

But Chas Kalsi, European technical manager for optical media solutions, said today: 'We have developed a chip implanting AACS [Advanced Access Content System ? the digital-rights system adopted by both HD camps]. My understanding is that production of drives will start in the first week of May and that they should be available in Europe a week later.'

The first drives will have a 2X Blu-ray burn speed, with a transfer rate of 9Mbits/sec and have an IDE interface. 'I am trying to persuade them to offer a serial ATA interface,' Kalsi said. A USB external drive will follow shortly.

A triple-write 4X drive, and a slimline 2X model for laptops, are planned for early next year with a 4X slimline in the second half of 2007.

Kalsi said the release of multi-layer drives depended on the availability of media and he understood that Verbatim would have quad-layer disks capable of holding 100GB by early next year.

The new drives will require high-end PCs, with dual-core processors and a graphics card capable of supporting HD resolutions and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), the digital-rights system for DVI and HDMI interfaces.

Blu-ray discs are expected to cost around ?15 (£10 approx) single layer and twice as much for dual.

What I found interesting as well was the availability of 100GB discs, ahhhhh yeeah, here comes That 70s Show Seasons all on one disc. All kidding aside, I wonder how may TV Series sitcoms we will see by next year on Blu-ray? Anyhow, here's to increased storage!
  • Reply 228 of 2106
    Wow. Here is some big news...Microsoft is delaying Vista until 2007. Here is the story...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188691,00.html

So much for the Microsoft HD DVD factor for this year. I think this is very good news for the Blu-ray format. It can only aid in the Blu-ray foothold the Sony Playstation 3 will give once released in November. Honestly, I'm not very suprised. I kind of expected a delay in Vista. Maybe now they'll throw in native Blu-ray support!

Hopefully this will give ample time to Apple as well to incorporate a Blu-ray drive in their next Mac Pros and further aid in the format. When is Leopard out? Any chance that it'll be released before Vista?
  • Reply 229 of 2106
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    100GB discs are not part of the spec and thus will probably never come to market. (The spec for movies cannot be changed at this point to maintain backwards compatibility. Maybe someday there will be 100GB data-only discs, but I doubt it.)

When I think of HD, sitcoms are not exactly on the top of my list...

In theory you could put TV shows on a lot fewer discs, but the price will end up the same and people will complain about paying $40 or more for 1 or 2 discs.
  • Reply 230 of 2106
    Some Blu-ray movie covers...

Also, a interesting site with a side by side comparison between Blu-ray and HD DVD...

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/highdef/
  • Reply 231 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

100GB discs are not part of the spec and thus will probably never come to market. (The spec for movies cannot be changed at this point to maintain backwards compatibility. Maybe someday there will be 100GB data-only discs, but I doubt it.)

When I think of HD, sitcoms are not exactly on the top of my list...

In theory you could put TV shows on a lot fewer discs, but the price will end up the same and people will complain about paying $40 or more for 1 or 2 discs.

Ok, oohhh yeah, here comes the Matrix Trilogy with bad-a$$ special features all on one 100GB disc. Sound better? This, one is in fact on the TOP of my list. Can't wait to see it in HD.
  • Reply 232 of 2106
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

Ok, oohhh yeah, here comes the Matrix Trilogy with bad-a$$ special features all on one 100GB disc. Sound better? This, one is in fact on the TOP of my list. Can't wait to see it in HD.

The maxtrix movies came out already in like a 7-8 disk box set that I own(called Ultimate Matrix). Once re-released in hd nothing will be added, just the same stuff on less disks.

For movies that they pulled out all the stops on once released on dvd it's kind of unrealistic to expect them to add MORE footage. No one is gonna sit down again and make mor bts that simply do nothing but re-iterate the original stuff.

I wish, but won't happen.
  • Reply 233 of 2106
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Oh I don't know about that. I'm sure in the HD version of Star Wars George Lucas will replace Grand Moff Tarkin with his brother-in-law or something.
  • Reply 234 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

The maxtrix movies came out already in like a 7-8 disk box set that I own(called Ultimate Matrix). Once re-released in hd nothing will be added, just the same stuff on less disks.

For movies that they pulled out all the stops on once released on dvd it's kind of unrealistic to expect them to add MORE footage. No one is gonna sit down again and make mor bts that simply do nothing but re-iterate the original stuff.

I wish, but won't happen.

it's a 10 disk set.
  • Reply 235 of 2106
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

it's a 10 disk set.

My bad I didn't count my disks. \
  • Reply 236 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i to have have that matrix collection.

im' sure they could find some crazy shit to add to the series.

anyways, i'd just like high definition versions of those films.

i'm for HD-DVD still.
  • Reply 237 of 2106
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    go, Blu-Ray, go go go !!!!
  • Reply 238 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    This just in: Reuters reports Toshiba is thinking about pushing back their release date for HD-DVD players.

Article here.
  • Reply 239 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

This just in: Reuters reports Toshiba is thinking about pushing back their release date for HD-DVD players.

Article here.

They probably need to. Doesn't make much sense to buy a player that won't have enough movies to play.
  • Reply 240 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Funny, most people around here have been saying the same about HD-DVD in general.