Apple's iLife suite may gain Web tools

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Nothing is free. You're paying for them with a new Mac too.

I imagine that when iWork is capable of doing enough of what AppleWorks does then it too will be included with new Macs and AppleWorks will be dropped. It's not there yet.

They'd have to add a spreadsheet, a drawing program and a database. If they do all that next week I'll be impressed and the credit card will be straight out for it although I suspect it'll be out anyway just for a Pages update.

I've no real interest in the Intel Macs at all just yet (6 months to a year maybe I will) but software improvements I want now.

I'll pay if they bring out a spreadsheet and/or database. I get a nice educational discount.

I'm just thinking - surely an iWeb application would be better suited as part of iWork and iLife. It would be useful to both. Consumers want to be able to create a website - iWork. Consumers want digital content on their website - iLife. I suppose iLife is bought by more people so makes sense to be part of it. I just doubt I'll be upgrading iLife this year - it will need a substantial upgrade to iPhoto - it's the only app I use!
  • Reply 62 of 110
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I do like iTunes 6 but would prefer a platinum (mail) style design - without those horrible buttons, obviously.

I think Aperture has got the compromise right - not too dark and legible plus aesthetically pleasing.

It's not really the colour I object to although yet another different blue and grey theme you can't change that is different to the other blue and grey themes is annoying. It's the thin divider lines that don't change the mouse pointer when you hover, the lack of borders on dragable areas, ok/cancel buttons in dialogs and the horrible prefs with options hidden inside other options, the fake spotlight search which doesn't let you save a search, the radius on corners and buttons different to everything else on the Mac, the way drag and drop works in some parts of iTunes but not others, the busy pointer, the way you can't resize some panes....

You get the idea. ;-)
  • Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I'll pay if they bring out a spreadsheet and/or database. I get a nice educational discount.

I'm just thinking - surely an iWeb application would be better suited as part of iWork and iLife. It would be useful to both. Consumers want to be able to create a website - iWork. Consumers want digital content on their website - iLife. I suppose iLife is bought by more people so makes sense to be part of it. I just doubt I'll be upgrading iLife this year - it will need a substantial upgrade to iPhoto - it's the only app I use!

I'm hoping iWeb isn't tied to .mac. If I can integrate it in to my hosting company (I own a hosting company) like Frontpage does or preferably more so, then it might be quite useful to a number of my customers, and me obviously.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sabon

I'll tell you what. Why don't you spend millions and come out with a app suite so all of us can tell YOU to release it for free.

If you add: then either open source or abandon it, you'd pretty much have Sun's software business model in a nutshell.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    I can't wait.... iWeb. If it's good I may finally be able to stop using a windows based comp to make my sad website. It looks like it was made in 1995.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I can't wait.... iWeb. If it's good I may finally be able to stop using a windows based comp to make my sad website. It looks like it was made in 1995.

iWeb, if it is what the name suggests it is, couldn't come at a better time for me. I need desperately to get a business web site up and running by next week! I'm placing my order now!
  • Reply 67 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

iWeb, if it is what the name suggests it is, couldn't come at a better time for me. I need desperately to get a business web site up and running by next week! I'm placing my order now!

iLife06 is not available till next week, if indeed it does do what you're after anyway.

Why not use ...

RealMac's RapidWeaver - http://www.realmacsoftware.com/

NVU - http://www.nvu.com/

or any other of the editors currently availble.

or learn to code - http://www.htmldog.com

or ask a pro
  • Reply 68 of 110
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Don't forget that Apple also owns Filemaker, one of the most successful databases around.

Successfull on a persentage of Mac desktops maybe, but here is what I see and hear in the world of databasing

Small office/homeoffice - Access rules the day, as sad as that is

Back end - SQL...much like Baskin Robins, there are dozens of flavors, pick any

High end - Peoplesoft/orical/SAP or a one-off custom design (usually done by one of the big three.)

Does Filemaker have any windows userbase? I have never acctually seen filemaker on a non-mac box, and the only Macs I have seen it on are inthe apple store.

I am not talking down the quality because I have never used it but I dont know if being the best means anything now-a-days with the MS machine fighting against you and OOo Base being decent competition to Access with a big fat price of $0

How do you define success? user base not a factor for you?
  • Reply 69 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Successfull on a persentage of Mac desktops maybe, but here is what I see and hear in the world of databasing

Small office/homeoffice - Access rules the day, as sad as that is

Back end - SQL...much like Baskin Robins, there are dozens of flavors, pick any

High end - Peoplesoft/orical/SAP or a one-off custom design (usually done by one of the big three.)

Does Filemaker have any windows userbase? I have never acctually seen filemaker on a non-mac box, and the only Macs I have seen it on are inthe apple store.

I am not talking down the quality because I have never used it but I dont know if being the best means anything now-a-days with the MS machine fighting against you and OOo Base being decent competition to Access with a big fat price of $0

How do you define success? user base not a factor for you?

It has a very large PC userbase. I know few SMB or home users who use Access. It's mostly corporations who have custom software running from it.

Yes, there a large base of small and medium companies who use it for the back end. It's also popular for web sites.

High end. Well, you've got me there. They don't have a several thousand buck/seat configuration. But then, MS's high end software isn't doing that well either.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I, for one, would love to move my blog to my .Mac account and give people an RSS feed for it. I could then integrate it into my .Mac site. I'm looking forward to iWeb and any improvements to .Mac.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I'm hoping iWeb isn't tied to .mac. If I can integrate it in to my hosting company (I own a hosting company) like Frontpage does or preferably more so, then it might be quite useful to a number of my customers, and me obviously.

Where are you based? If you don't mind me asking?
  • Reply 72 of 110
    I think iWeb will be a client version of 'Homepage' that is available to .mac accounts. It will have the same templates, but we will be able to mix and match them on the same page and also arrange them as we see fit instead of being stuck in column format. iWeb will most likely be geared to work with .mac and some features might require a .mac account, but it will also work with any (most) web hosts.

It might seem like iWeb should be included in iWork because it is a productivity suite, but if iWeb is designed for people to build personal web sites then it makes sense to be included in iLife where people have personal/digital content
  • Reply 73 of 110
    iWork will continue to lag in success until they figure out that it needs to go on windows also. The vast majority of people on macs are those in creative, education and scientific disciplines, only a small percentage regularly create or present documents that don't need to work with people on windows--especially in traditional business.

From my point of view (creative) I could sell at least 20 iWork suites right now to my clients if they knew that they could open and use the beautiful documents that I create for them (and all it cost them was $75). Heck, they might just start using it themselves and take an interest in Apple...we've seen that halo effect before....
  • Reply 74 of 110
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Don't get me wrong - I would cheer an all-out assault on the Redmond empire.

But realistically, I don't see it as necessary. Microsoft would go bonkers if Apple only adopted OpenDocument as the iWork file format.

That's really all we need to make things interesting.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The original comment was that GarageBand deserves to have a different look based on the fact that it's the only iLife application that focuses on content production. I would strongly argue that. iMovie is in many ways for video what GarageBand is for music.

Absolutely. I didn't intend to argue about that subject.

My point of view was and is: GB is within the iLife suite

a, say, singularity. GB is a Music content creation tool

for Beginners.

Musicians - especially in the hobbiest field -

really like "different" GUIs. Apple serves this likeing.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuretheory9

iWork will continue to lag in success until they figure out that it needs to go on windows also. The vast majority of people on macs are those in creative, education and scientific disciplines, only a small percentage regularly create or present documents that don't need to work with people on windows--especially in traditional business.

From my point of view (creative) I could sell at least 20 iWork suites right now to my clients if they knew that they could open and use the beautiful documents that I create for them (and all it cost them was $75). Heck, they might just start using it themselves and take an interest in Apple...we've seen that halo effect before....

Why don't you send them PDFs? That's what I do, and my clients ask me...

"How did you do that in Word?"

Arrrgh!
  • Reply 77 of 110
    Quote:

It has a very large PC userbase. I know few SMB or home users who use Access. It's mostly corporations who have custom software running from it.

Yes, there a large base of small and medium companies who use it for the back end. It's also popular for web sites.

High end. Well, you've got me there. They don't have a several thousand buck/seat configuration. But then, MS's high end software isn't doing that well either.

I just don't see this. There's certainly some use of Filemaker in some sectors, particularly accounting, but it's dwarfed by Access (and JET/VB) and SQL Server in business and always has been in the Windows world. I've developed both Access and SQL Server (and Oracle) based software for businesses as big as American Express and the Bank of England and as small as a truck leasing company and never, ever were we asked to do a Filemaker based solution on Windows.

'Popular for web sites'. You're kidding! Maybe small catalogue based sites edited offline but again, MySQL, Postgres and SQL Server rule here.

Nobody would develop a serious DB application without SQL today.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Quote:

Where are you based? If you don't mind me asking?

I'm in the UK (near Manchester). Datacenter is in Atlanta.

Bandwidth in the UK is about 10 times more expensive than the USA which is why I use US based servers.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    Quote:

Why don't you send them PDFs? That's what I do, and my clients ask me...

Sure, but it doesn't always work like that. Business proposals, presentations, etc. that need to be shared and worked on as a team have to live in a editable format. If it was something that was going into final form and never had to touched by anyone other than me, I would just do it in a pro app like indesign.

iWork isn't about heavy creative work as much as it is about easily producing "work-oriented" documents that happen to look great. Unfortunately, "work-oriented" also means collaboration (usually with people that have PCs), Apple allowed for this with a cross-platform solution...so guess what? Windows/Office solutions win.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuretheory9

Sure, but it doesn't always work like that. Business proposals, presentations, etc. that need to be shared and worked on as a team have to live in a editable format. If it was something that was going into final form and never had to touched by anyone other than me, I would just do it in a pro app like indesign.

iWork isn't about heavy creative work as much as it is about easily producing "work-oriented" documents that happen to look great. Unfortunately, "work-oriented" also means collaboration (usually with people that have PCs), Apple allowed for this with a cross-platform solution...so guess what? Windows/Office solutions win.

IME, if you insist on cross-platform editable document formats that Windows users are happy with it always comes back to using Word. I've tried with RTF but Word's RTF support is terrible.

I'm reminded that Apple bought up a company a few years back who's speciality was writing conversion software for Microsoft Office like DataViz do but I can't remember the name of it. We've not seen the outcome of that purchase yet AFAIK.