Apple's iLife suite may gain Web tools

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

...and am now asking Apple to introduce a "modern spreadsheet" on the platform so that small to medium sized businesses can take the Mac seriously again.

But they still can with Office: mac.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Well this discussion whether Apple should provide

a full featured Office suite or not became a loop

(in this thread).

My daily workflow urges me to use Office Word. EoS.

Funny thing is i even haven't installed Access, when

i am asked to do so in the office installation

process. Powerpoint i haven't either.

Anyway, I think competition is good.

my2cents
  • Reply 103 of 110
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

My daily workflow urges me to use Office Word. EoS.

Funny thing is i even haven't installed Access, when

i am asked to do so in the office installation

process. Powerpoint i haven't either.

You'll never be asked to install Access. There is no Mac version.

IMHO, lack of Access in the Mac version of Office is the one thing that stops the Mac being accepted in mostly Windows based offices as so many small and medium sized businesses use Access derived business systems. I'm sure Microsoft have not provided Access for the Mac deliberately so that it's penetration into the office is held back.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

True. What I meant to type was home and small businesses, not small to medium.

There are plenty of small businesses that were fine with the AppleWorks feature set and preferred not to pay the Microsoft tax. It's one of the reason many of us switched to the Mac in the first place.

Update: Think Secret says they can't confirm an iWork update at MWSF. I feel ill already!
  • Reply 105 of 110
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Just to get this back on track - Karelia have done what they'd said they'd do and released a beta of their Sandvox website tool today.

It's pretty good with some very nice designs as standard and it generates good code too from what I've seen. It lets even complete novices produce sites with weblogs, photoalbums, movies, rss feeds and such. Still some rough edges - I seemed to have problems with it recognising I'd clicked on the design bar until I'd clicked somewhere else then back. But it is beta software. Very promising. Miles better than RapidWeaver in scope. I guess we're just waiting for Apple now though.

You can download a time limited copy to play with at http://www.karelia.com/?refid=269847
  • Reply 106 of 110
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

You'll never be asked to install Access. There is no Mac version.

Yeah sorry, i confused Exel with Access.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Update: Think Secret says they can't confirm an iWork update at MWSF. I feel ill already!

That just means that they do not have the inside scoop that they would like to have right now.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    gjwgjw Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

AppleWorks costs $79

iLife costs $79

Neither are free. Yes you get them with a new Mac but those aren't free either.

Last time I checked, AppleWorks was only included with those models designated as "consumer" machines. I think I copy came with the mini I bought a few months ago. I know it didn't come with my G5 tower, though.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    gjwgjw Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

[B]A lot of people don't know that apple owns it. It's under the name of Filemaker Inc.

They do that so when the professional catalogs have the pages for the various products, Filemaker doesn't come up as an Apple product, just Filemaker Inc.

Actually, they do that because a long time ago Apple lost a class-action lawsuit arguing that it was unfair for application software to be branded with the same name as the hardware and OS. So they spun off their application development to a wholly owned subsidiary called Claris. Years later (but still years ago) they reabsorbed all of the Claris' product line except the one that had a large following outside the Mac world and Claris renamed itself after that one (cross-platform and very successful) product.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gjw

Actually, they do that because a long time ago Apple lost a class-action lawsuit arguing that it was unfair for application software to be branded with the same name as the hardware and OS. So they spun off their application development to a wholly owned subsidiary called Claris. Years later (but still years ago) they reabsorbed all of the Claris' product line except the one that had a large following outside the Mac world and Claris renamed itself after that one (cross-platform and very successful) product.

I remember those days very well. The president of Claris used to come to our MUG meetings to show off new software.

He said that They spun Filemaker off to neutralize its ownership for Windows shops. I believe that.