Intel iMacs and 15-inch Mac Book Pro expected in hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

OMG! And end of an era if true.

The grapewine has been rumbling about 'MacBooks' though.. So...

If this is true, that the 'Powerbook' moniker is to be replaced, it will be sorely missed. 'Mac Book Pro' just doesn't have the same ring to it. To inelegant.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    ...iMacintel runs like a G5 now. No telling what the actual "speed" is comparable to at this time...
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nautical

If this is true, that the 'Powerbook' moniker is to be replaced it will be sorely missed. Mac Book Pro just doesn't have the same elegance to it.

Absolutely true, but from a marketing standpoint it makes perfect sense. If they could have called it the Similar-to-an-iPod-BookPro, I think they would've.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    twotwo Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

...iMacintel runs like a G5 now. No telling what the actual "speed" is comparable to at this time...

2-3x faster with Intel Core Duo processor. Each processor is faster than the G5. 10.2 on iMac G5/32.6 on iMac Core Duo. 3.2x faster. FPU (13.0/27.1 for 2.1x). Every iMac now has dual processors.

Makes sense, iMac was the only single proc G5 with powermacs being dual core. If it's that much faster, why not go ahead?

Hopefully powerbook is one more thing. If intelmac is that fast, hopefully new powermacs well before the end of the year.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Steve's talking about the PowerBook now. Looks like Appleinsider dominates the rumor sites once again. ThinkSecret continues its downward spiral.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Mac Book is a fine name... but I would miss "PowerBook"! The first Mac I (secretly) wanted when I still hated Macs was a PowerBook...

Power is associated with PowerPC. So I suppose ot makes sense. MacBook Pro isn't as bad as Mac Book Pro - anyway it's announced, 5x faster and who cares about the name - I want one. Finally the big PowerBook update is here!
  • Reply 27 of 49
    No more Powerbook!

15.4inch LCD. bright as cinemas.

Hair thinner than the 17".

Fastest notebook ever.

2 processors in every Macbook pro.

Intel duo Core.

New laptop computer.

Today - MacBook Pro!
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

For years intel chips have been bored in a PC"

HEH HEH what a statement!!!!!! I love Steve.......

about the new macbook: shock and awe the hammer just HIT!!!!

but what about stickers and the G monikor?????
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Looks like the MacBook Pro lost Firewire 800 and PCMCIA. It still has Firewire 400 and now something called ExpressCard/34 which looks smaller.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    I guess this means that future iBooks will be renamed too. To MacBook or MacBook Home or something. This means that all future Mac computers will have 'Mac' in their names. Apple is strenghtening their focus on the Mac-brand.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I really hate the name of the MacBook. Trying to make people think the processor has nothing to do with what make the Mac great why did they have to change the name. Powerbook started with the very first laptop with the original 68K processor it had nothing to do with the PPC.

I was part of the PB team and remember going through the entire naming of the product line and everyone loved the Powerbook name when it was first heard. We also considered the Macbook name and we thought it was way too obvious of name that this what made Powerbook so much better.

I can not beleive Jobs changed the name, it was probably because it was not his idea...
  • Reply 32 of 49
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Good thing you don't work for Apple.

gg.

OK - I eat crow on this one. Wonder if my restocking fees will be worth the switch.

But who the hell will buy an iMac G5 if they don't lower the price?
  • Reply 33 of 49
    MacBook nano? iMacBook?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Looks like the MacBook Pro lost Firewire 800 and PCMCIA. It still has Firewire 400 and now something called ExpressCard/34 which looks smaller.

Expresscard is replacing cardbus. It is the PCI Express version of PCMCIA. E/34 slots accept two different sized cards.

Apple's done well with the laptop. It should be competitive with your garden variety PC
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by livatlantis

MacBook nano? iMacBook?

MacBook probably.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    has anyone noticed...there is no mention of battery life
  • Reply 37 of 49
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    So what will the new PowerMacs be called?
  • Reply 38 of 49
    so apple switches to intel processors and still offers slower chips than what are made. ridiculous. this is a powerbook (or "macbook pro" as they so eloquently put it) costing over $2000 yet it has the speeds in acer's budget line. ridiculous. couldnt they at least redesign the thing ??? the hardware STILL sucks
  • Reply 39 of 49
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

So what will the new PowerMacs be called?

Mac Pro

apple line will look something like this:

- Mac Pro

- MacBook Pro

new subnotebook:

- MacBook mini or

- MacBook nano

- iMac

- iBook

- Mac mini
  • Reply 40 of 49
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

OK - I eat crow on this one.

I did, too. Apple's pumping out new iMacs almost as fast as iPods now.

I'm satisfied with my rev. B iMac G5 for awhile. I'd rather ignore the first wave of issues with the new hardware and non-native software anyway.