Intel iMacs and 15-inch Mac Book Pro expected in hours

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer in just a few hours will take the wraps off its first Intel-based Mac laptop and desktop computers, reliable sources have confirmed to AppleInsider.

Inline with predictions made by AppleInsider in November, the company at this year's Macworld Expo is expected to show both a new Intel iMac (17- and 20- inch) and the first 15-inch PowerBook. However, sources say Apple has decided to change the name of the PowerBook to "Mac Book Pro."

The new iMacs, which Apple chief Steve Jobs will use to demo new iLife and iWork applications, are expected to ship immediately. The 15-inch Mac Book Pro will be shown on stage and ship sometime next month, sources said.

Jobs' opening keynote is scheduled to begin at 9:00 am pacific time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Now I bet Buyers of the Rev.C iMac will be severely pissed... :3

Can´t wait to see the new ones, and the Powerbooks :3
  • Reply 2 of 49
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Apple did a great job of keepings things under wraps this time. I?ve been looking for leaks for the past 30 days with little to show for it.

Why rename the Powerbook? Apple got its money?s worth when they hired the firm that came up with that name. Mac Book Pro sounds awkward. Don?t mess with success.

• Reply 3 of 49
    OMG! And end of an era if true.

The grapewine has been rumbling about 'MacBooks' though.. So...
  • Reply 4 of 49
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    NEW iMACS? No way...

I call BullS**t.

This would alienate a lot of people, and doesn't make sense strategywise. Apple needs new laptops, and would likely not have the resources to

And yeah, I would be PO'd cuz I just got my 20" iMac last month.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

To early to tell. It depends on what they put in the new iMac and what software you need to run. I need to run a lot of software that is PowerPC only and will be for at least a year so an Intel iMac would be pointless.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Looking forward to the announcements.

I've held out on the purchase of an Apple laptop since the Intel announcement last June. I'm ready to purchase today.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Can´t wait to see the new ones, and the Powerbooks :3

I'd love to see the new ones.

Not me on the regrets. My PowerBook DL already paid for itself. Though, if I wanted to I could, but I don't see running my pro apps at 3/4 speed or whatever would be very beneficial to me...? I'll wait until Adobe streamlines all their interfaces (including Macromedia apps... except for Freehand, eh who cares about that thing? ) and ships Intel-native apps., along with every other project management, scheduling, billing, development, yadda, yadda, yadda applications ship Intel-native.

US$.02
  • Reply 8 of 49
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

Why rename the Powerbook? Apple got its money?s worth when they hired the firm that came up with that name. Mac Book Pro sounds awkward. Don?t mess with success.

Agreed. Mac Book Pro sounds like someone was playing with a marketing word dartboard.

At least they could have called it iPowerBook
  • Reply 9 of 49
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

NEW iMACS? No way...

I call BullS**t.

This would alienate a lot of people, and doesn't make sense strategywise. Apple needs new laptops, and would likely not have the resources to

Why? I also bought a 20" iMac last month and am extremely pleased with it and expect it to last several years before I need to upgrade. I also expect the software I really use to be no problem and fully expect at least a couple of upgrades during the PPC to Intel change over.

Even if a new Intel iMac comes out in a couple of hours, be happy, you have an extremely powerful, beautifully designed computer.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Mac Book is a fine name... but I would miss "PowerBook"! The first Mac I (secretly) wanted when I still hated Macs was a PowerBook...
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Hot Damn!!!!!!!!!!!

Great but hopefully their will be some surprises still as well if this is true...

well maybe the name change "if true" signals that the new notebooks are up to speed more along the lines of a portable desktop.... think about it,macbook! like a power "MAC" the mac name sets it apart from other notebooks as being a real powerhouse worthy of the mac monikor....

BTW is it just me or is waiting for the macrumors keynote countdown ticking down like getting a bong hit....... wait wait wait "inhale.... ahhhhhh........."

jones..... jones..... jones oh yes wait... wait... "inhale.... ahhhhhhh......"

or am I just a geeked out drooling macfan?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    I too think it doesn't seem right to have an Intel iMac released today... unless if maybe the keep the PPC iMac for a while as well? Would that make sence? I don't know... it just seems to me like the iMac is enough of a pro machine that people using it would be using a lot of high-end apps that won't be intel-ized for a while yet.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Steve needs to stop playing around with the damn software and get to the good stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

Steve needs to stop playing around with the damn software and get to the good stuff.

yeah how much more hype and anticipation do we need?

Something like and heres........ "new macs etc." and here is the awesome stuff that will run on it. then the software.

"Hi, I'm Steve, welcome to my podcast of Super Secret Apple Rumors"

Is that a shot at us??? LOL Steve you tease,maybe this will lead into a and yes its true schpeale "like last time" and then into the new macs... here is hoping
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Steve Jobs has got some great sources for Crazy Apple Rumors!
  • Reply 16 of 49
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    I think he's taking a shot at the idiots in these forums who say "That's not going to happen because it's not market-feasible" or whatever other bulls*** you guys come up with.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    New iMacintel! Core Duo! Yes!
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:

The iMac - built in isight camera. front row. incredible reception.

10:12 am\tFirst Mac with Intel processor today.

I just had an Inteligasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but what about stickers?
  • Reply 19 of 49
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

NEW iMACS? No way...

I call BullS**t.

Good thing you don't work for Apple.

gg.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    New iLife '06! New iWeb with photocasting and GarageBand with built in podcasting capabilites! Thank the lord I can finally create a web site... snif! (tears in eyes)