Intel iMacs and 15-inch Mac Book Pro expected in hours

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

I did, too. Apple's pumping out new iMacs almost as fast as iPods now.

I'm satisfied with my rev. B iMac G5 for awhile. I'd rather ignore the first wave of issues with the new hardware and non-native software anyway.

Well, I still have a few days before my 30 day return period ends. If reports are positive about the rev. A intel iMacs, I might eat the restocking fee and get it.

Emulation issues aside, the new iMacs have a better vid card, two processors, and can do DVI to an external monitor w/o mirroring.

However, I want to hear some real world reports about the intel iMac - it may not be so hot.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Hmm.. I find you rather crazy TigerWoods99.

Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

so apple switches to intel processors and still offers slower chips than what are made. ridiculous. this is a powerbook (or "macbook pro" as they so eloquently put it) costing over $2000 yet it has the speeds in acer's budget line. ridiculous. couldnt they at least redesign the thing ??? the hardware STILL sucks

Well, TigerWoods99. I don't think I could disagree with you anymore than I am right now.

What on earth are you talking about? - "The hardware STILL sucks" ?

1) Apple's hardware Don't suck, havn't or isen't going to. Apple's hardware have always been good - execpt the very begining.

2) - ".. offers slower chips than what are made." Would you like to go around with a 'Book looking like that massive AlienWare? I rather not, and I doubt many would.

3) - ".. over $2000." .. .. are you dumb? (sorry to ask, just had to.)

The PowerBook G4 15" = 1999 (as the "slowest" of the new MacBook Pro)

PowerBook 17" = 2499 (as the big daddy of the new MacBook Pro)

Don't know if you have read about it.. But it is the "Fastest notebook ever." I don't know if that is "slow and ridiculous" in your book, but in mine - that's good .. .. about as good as it gets.

And 1 last thing, as mentioned earlier on in this thread, why mess with success? - Don't do that. So that's why they didn't redesign it, they just made it better - much better (not that the "old" G4 wasnt't good, because it was, but no where near as good as this new beast.)

And to all you out there trashing the new name. Why?

Do you think that it's the name that sells it and the name only? I think it will be easier (for "switchers") to understand Apple's lines. And MacBook Pro is a rather attractive name.

M4hl3r
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by M4hl3r

2) - ".. offers slower chips than what are made." Would you like to go around with a 'Book looking like that massive AlienWare? I rather not, and I doubt many would.

I presume you weren't paying attention to CES last week. There were plenty of 2Ghz+ Yonah based Windows laptops released with about the same form factor, size and weight as the new MacBook Pro.

For example...

http://engadget.com/2006/01/10/asus-...-it-on-the-dl/

Asus 13.3" laptop with a 2.33Ghz Yonah.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I presume you weren't paying attention to CES last week. There were plenty of 2Ghz+ Yonah based Windows laptops released with about the same form factor, size and weight as the new MacBook Pro.

For example...

http://engadget.com/2006/01/10/asus-...-it-on-the-dl/

Asus 13.3" laptop with a 2.33Ghz Yonah.

Only that wasn't released
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Only that wasn't released

If we're going to play that game, neither was the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    thats one fucking ugly laptop.

you go enjoy that aegisdesign
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

thats one fucking ugly laptop.

you go enjoy that aegisdesign

My we're tetchy today in RDF-land.

I've no intention of buying a Windows laptop. Just pointing out that other manufacturers are coming out with faster Core Duo based laptops. Some with smaller form factors too. We're of course always going to have this problem now that we share the same CPU. Get used to it or you'll always look like an apologist.

I was a little disappointed they didn't release a 2.x Ghz, that's all.

Personally, I'm waiting for a smaller, cheaper laptop from Apple. I don't like carrying around something so large for the few times I do need a laptop.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

If we're going to play that game, neither was the MacBook Pro.

Well the MacBook Pro actually had it's prices and details shown. The Asus tabletPC plans to use an unreleased Intel processor. Hmm...which is actually released...I wonder Lets move away from the fantasy land, eh?

CES is used for concept models sometimes. That's all Asus showed not a product they are releasing now for shipping in a month. Plenty were actually released at 2.16 GHz but there could be issues on availabilities given they are already not expecting to fill orders until February, or price that make those less appealing. 2 GHz certainly would have been doable but no doubt they had their reasons for not. These were put together awfully fast.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    I venture there is a good reason Apple didn't use the fastest core duo processor available. Perhaps stability? Availability? Who knows. There could be a new product coming shortly that WILL use the top spec--like the 17" (that seems kinda obvious/likely doesn't it ). Maybe it's none of those, Apple's just rakin in the money on 'lesser' technology . You could do like me and just wait and see.