Rolo - wherefore art the plasmas, Rolo?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Forget the Plasmas. They were a long shot anyway. I'll be glad to wait for the real SED units. What happened to Think Secret's movie streaming service thingy. While we're stinging up Rolo, do we get to lynch Nick, too? BTW, I brought a rope.

And Rolo was right about one thing (points to stock ticker on front of AppleInsider) up almost 9 bucks a share since Rolo started his/our journey...
  • Reply 22 of 79
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Agreed.

Unless...

They just throw a computer behind the screen (somewhere between iMac and Powermac capabilities) and then add TV functionality. I really wish I could use my iMac as a computer/tv simultaneously, like a picture-in-picture deal. I could work like usual and resize the TV window down small and place it where was best for me, like with DVD player or Quicktime.

I really don't watch much TV, but this kind of functionality would be uber handy on football sundays and hockey games I want to see.

Except that a TV monitor really makes a poor computer monitor. Apple's 23" Cinema Display has more pixels than a full-resolution 1080 TV monitor. I hardly see the point then of using such a display in PIP mode. Since you prefer your computer to your TV, it would make much more sense to get an Apple 30" Cinema Display. It will allow four (4) simultaneous 720p images onscreen at full-resolution. Take away three of these, you have a lot of computer real estate and a darned good TV picture.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Except that a TV monitor really makes a poor computer monitor. Apple's 23" Cinema Display has more pixels than a full-resolution 1080 TV monitor. I hardly see the point then of using such a display in PIP mode. Since you prefer your computer to your TV, it would make much more sense to get an Apple 30" Cinema Display. It will allow four (4) simultaneous 720p images onscreen at full-resolution. Take away three of these, you have a lot of computer real estate and a darned good TV picture.

Hey, I didn't say it was all that doable,, just saying what I'd like to have eventually.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think Rolo was the first subscriber to Steve's Super Secret Apple Rumors podcast!!!

That just might have been a shot across the rumor sites bow!

Anyway, glad I didn't have to apologize to Rolo.

I still will, if the plasma thingy comes out this 1/2 of a year though.

• Reply 25 of 79
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

I love the fact that you try to legitimize your ramblings with the "planting misinformation" excuse instead of just admitting you have no sources and have no idea what you are talking about. Classic.

I think your little game was ridiculous, but probably more ridiculous were all the legitimate news sources that actually picked up on it. That was kind of funny.

Jeez, what a cynic. Everything I said was the truth. It was the rumor that wasn't true. Someone put a rumor out to different rumor sites and it wasn't me, as I said several times. I got it from one of the rumor sites before it was published anywhere. Got that? All you have to do is read what O'Grady and TS said.

Please excuse me for mentioning a rumor I heard before it was published. Seems this isn't the place to do that sort of thing.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I think Rolo was the first subscriber to Steve's Super Secret Apple Rumors podcast!!!

That just might have been a shot across the rumor sites bow!

No kidding! When Steve discussed his rumored iPod product I though it clearly was a nod to the plasma screen rumors.

Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Nice job... Now you get to join the AI Hall of Shame

Rolo

Kormac

DorsalM

No Worker Bee kudo?s for you.

Anyone care to remind me of the previous failed rumors? When I think of the AI Hall of Shame I tend to think more of Junkyard Dawg's "Truth Train" shenanigans more than anything else.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:

You got your ego stroking 15 minutes drawn into three full days. Nice job. It's easy (and cheap) to try to cover your tracks with Jason's tin-foil hat strategy. Just own up to making the whole thing up yourself and emailing it to TS. Nick wasn't a gullible asshat though and refused to bite.

O'Grady was just a fortunate dupe that read the boards.

Now you get to join the AI Hall of Shame

Rolo

Kormac

DorsalM

No Worker Bee kudo?s for you.

Jeez, what a freakin' idiot!! Where in the hell do you think I got the rumor????? Man, you folks are such a bunch of unbelievable DOLTS!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Sorry for the anger but it's frustrating having a bunch of dummies make me out to be something I'm not. There are lots of great people in this forum and just a few rotten apples. Par for the course, I guess. It was an interesting and exciting rumor so I thought I'd share it.

I've learned my lesson the hard way. Next time I get a hot tip, I'll keep it to myself.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Sorry for the anger but it's frustrating having a bunch of dummies make me out to be something I'm not. There are lots of great people in this forum and just a few rotten apples. Par for the course, I guess. It was an interesting and exciting rumor so I thought I'd share it.

I've learned my lesson the hard way. Next time I get a hot tip, I'll keep it to myself.

Don't feel that way, I for one am glad you posted. It certainly made for lively discussion and that's what a rumor site is for!

Besides, I don't think you ever used the infamous words "Confirmed". People need to relax.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Don't feel that way, I for one am glad you posted. It certainly made for lively discussion and that's what a rumor site is for! ...

I'm glad you posted too. It has been a lot of fun. Next time cut a little of the smugness ("I know something you don't know") and you'll be fine.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Rolo,

Hang in there. People like you make this place a pleasant place to hang out and read up on new rumors. Your input has allowed us all to engage in greatly entertaining, informative and thought-provoking debate.

If anyone's absence has the potential to improve AI, its those lashing out at you.

Cheers,

Jose
  • Reply 32 of 79
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    I think Rolo was pretty straightforward about his information from the get go. He never said "Confirmed" He never said he saw 'actual' product, that he was "Making Plastics", he never posted elevator photos and he didn't pretend to get an Apple Marketing guy 'drunk'. He simply stated what he had heard, and that he trusted the source. More specifically, he said that he had an inside track on some information that ThinkSecret had and that they were continuing to investigate before they posted. He was basically giving this Forum the scoop on that info... with no promises.

You all got so frothy over the possibilities that you now want to crucify him. He never added flames to the fire. He simply participated in the very lively and interesting disscussion that ensued based on the probability of such a product.

Not that I believe(d) the exact rumor per se, But I still see a similar capability very much as a possible somewhere down the road. If the current iMac is a 20" LCD with an on board computer, essentially contained in the bezel. It is not so radical a concept to think the apple could marry their 30" or a larger screens to an integrated CPU as well. The 20" iMac resoultion (1680 by 1050) isn't far off HDTV specs anyway. Not to mention the new iMacs DO support a 23" additional display now.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Jeez, what a cynic. Everything I said was the truth. It was the rumor that wasn't true. Someone put a rumor out to different rumor sites and it wasn't me, as I said several times. I got it from one of the rumor sites before it was published anywhere. Got that? All you have to do is read what O'Grady and TS said.

Please excuse me for mentioning a rumor I heard before it was published. Seems this isn't the place to do that sort of thing.

First of all, anyone who believed that Apple was going to release Plasma display Macs this week was crazy. It just isn't where they are right now. If you would have chosen a more plausible concept to post, you may have had some sliver of credibility left after the smoke cleared.

It's not your bogus rumour that people find objectionable, it was you're obsessive perpetuation of that fictional story and your subsequent inability to admit that you either made it up or got completely duped by bogus info from a "source".

It's just such a rookie mistake that you can't expect for people to take you seriously when you pop back on the boards the next day. If you engage in that kind of behavior you have to be prepared for the consequences, that's all.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

First of all, anyone who believed that Apple was going to release Plasma display Macs this week was crazy.

Apple will eventually release a SED display with video service and built in computer - I have Faith that this is true, it is my new religion. My plasma come, my will be done, on my wall as it is in my head.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

First of all, anyone who believed that Apple was going to release Plasma display Macs this week was crazy. It just isn't where they are right now. If you would have chosen a more plausible concept to post, you may have had some sliver of credibility left after the smoke cleared.

It's not your bogus rumour that people find objectionable, it was you're obsessive perpetuation of that fictional story and your subsequent inability to admit that you either made it up or got completely duped by bogus info from a "source".

It's just such a rookie mistake that you can't expect for people to take you seriously when you pop back on the boards the next day. If you engage in that kind of behavior you have to be prepared for the consequences, that's all.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a Winnah! Extra Kudo's for paragraph 2, sentence 2!
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I'm glad you posted too. It has been a lot of fun. Next time cut a little of the smugness ("I know something you don't know") and you'll be fine.

I agree, feel free to post Rolo, just decide ahead of time if you are going to spill the beans or not and then be truthful about the level of believability. All you have to say is i heard this second hand and I'm tossing it out for discussion.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a Winnah! Extra Kudo's for paragraph 2, sentence 2!

there's only one sentence in paragraph 2.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

there's only one sentence in paragraph 2.

• Reply 39 of 79
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

I really want to ban this guy. 8)
  • Reply 40 of 79
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

I really want to ban this guy. 8)

I think we ought to cut him a little slack this time, with the idea he'll be more forthright next time.