Rolo - wherefore art the plasmas, Rolo?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

there's only one sentence in paragraph 2.

Tired eyes. Belay my last, just make it para 2.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

I really want to ban this guy.

Definitely banning is a bad idea, the entertainment value it too high. We just all value it for different reasons.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I thought it was a great rumor. As far as testing the waters we sure know what we want, and that was it. I never expected it to be true as I never do with rumors. You never know what's coming until the SJ says it's here. I hope Apple caught wind of what a positive reaction there was with the rumor, not necessarily even the HDPTV part of it, but the media side of it more so. Although the HDPTV was the most awesome icing on that cake.

We want the whole package in our living rooms soon, not eventually. I want the iTMS at a touch of my remote, but not in my computer, I don't even get the reasoning behind having a remote for my computer. iPod devision needs an expansion. I'm sure they can afford it.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Nevertheless, I still think it's a good idea.

Maybe the economics aren't there at the moment, but it's pretty obvious some kind of computer/entertainment center/TV thing is well underway.

Making the screen the computer eliminates, at one go, a great deal of the complexity and set-up of current home theater rigs.

As I think I posted before, I don't think it makes sense to think of such a critter as a Mac with a really big screen, albeit with low resolution, but rather a big screen with a Mac brain. People buying plasmas right now would be delighted to get one that offered extra functionality and ease of set-up and use, and if they can check email, look at pictures of the kids, download movies and music etc., do you think the problem would be "meh, this doesn't have the resolution of my desktop computer"?

Apple, with its integration of iApps. .mac and Front Row seems to be in a position to do this really well.

As far as "where they're at", I would imagine they're looking to leverage the success of the IPod towards further incursion into the CE space. No need to go into the large screen manufacturing business, just partner up with a supplier. After all, the Cinema Displays don't oblige Apple to invest in LCD fabs, and any time someone can offer a better part at the right price they can drop it into into their industrial design.

I think something like this is inevitable, especially as the price of a chipset capable of running OS X continues to drop.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Nevertheless, I still think it's a good idea.

Maybe the economics aren't there at the moment

If I take that out of it's original context that's more relevant than anything else. US citizens as individuals are in a deeper debt than they have been since Carter drove us into a downward spiral in the early 70's. The war certainly hasn't helped us out of the uncontrollable downward spiral Clinton started us on either. It took Reagan, and the first George Bush years of heavy planning while they endured heavy criticism that trickle down economics wouldn't and didn't work, but in 10 years it grew into the strongest US economy in history. When he was voted out of office (the first George Bush) left the US economy as a growing Tsunami tidalwave of fortune that seemed endless. It took Clinton 8 years of economic "change" to pull the foundation out from under it. How a guy won an election on "Change" when change was the last thing the country actually needed I will never understand.

I guess you can get so used to good prosperity that you don't even realize you have it, and then you think there is something more that you need, but in reality you probably just asked for a little too much, and didn't even realize it.

An oddly worded moral summary, but it seems like the moral of the story is: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Lets not rush to judgement on poor Rolo - he may have been right:

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofm...try_id=1385976
  • Reply 47 of 79
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smhub1

Much like rolo, this article offers ZERO details.

you guys continue to perplex me with your gullibility.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    I hate to say it(not really... ), but Rolo seems rather immature in his post about us being "dummies calling him something he isn't!" And if he's so tired of it, then it's probably happened elsewhere... So! No need to ban, If he's really fed up he'll pack up his e-pack and gtfo. If he stays, maybe he's determined to clear up his name, so let him stay.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by smhub1

And what is it that we are supposed to gather from this? Apple has more cool products on the way! Yeah, um I think we all know that. That's why we are all here. We love the products they make.

Further, if there is any hint at all in this post it would be towards some sort of new laptop or mobile device. Do you think the supposed source is telling him "don't be so quick to buy a MacBook Pro when you can get a 50 inch plasma Mac and carry that around!"
  • Reply 50 of 79
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    you can carry an apple mac-mini-dvr-super-PROJECTOR-device around maybe there's truth to the projector rumors afterall!!
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Next time I get a hot tip, I'll keep it to myself.

I've got a better idea. Next time you get a hot rumor, shove it up your ass.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:

Jeez, what a cynic. Everything I said was the truth. It was the rumor that wasn't true. Someone put a rumor out to different rumor sites and it wasn't me, as I said several times. I got it from one of the rumor sites before it was published anywhere. Got that? All you have to do is read what O'Grady and TS said.

Please excuse me for mentioning a rumor I heard before it was published. Seems this isn't the place to do that sort of thing.

But, wasn't the rumor that this device wasn't going to be out before March anyway? And that it (therefore) might not be announced anyway at MWSF? If your original posts had any modicum of truth in them, then why have you abandoned your rumor, which might could still be valid?

I do hope Apple has something like this in the works. Onlooker was right: let's hope someone at Apple reads the rumor boards for to test product reaction.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inslider

I've got a better idea. Next time you get a hot rumor, shove it up your ass.

ROFLMAO
  • Reply 54 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

you can carry an apple mac-mini-dvr-super-PROJECTOR-device around maybe there's truth to the projector rumors afterall!!

Oh yeah, now it occurs to me that if nothing else, Rolo's rumor seems to have precluded the usual "The time is now for Apple to release a projector" thread.

Silver linings and all.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    I don't really want to keep Rolo's rumour running, but even Cringley's now expecting Apple to release the large screen plasma televisions:

Apple will eventually announce all the products they were supposed to have announced at this week's MacWorld show, but didn't, including a bunch of media content deals, a huge expansion of .Mac to one TERABYTE per month of download capacity per user, a new version of the Front Row DVR application, and two new Intel Macs with huge plasma displays, but with keyboards and mice as options -- literally big-screen TVs that just happen to be computers, too.

The full post is here.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Those of you who feel hostility towards someone who posts a rumor, and truthfully aknowledges such, should get some help. to the moderator who wants to ban rolo, what are you running a rumor site for? What is your product? What did he do that warrants such drakonian measures? Did he violate some rule? I say, give the guy some grace. He obviously got sucked in. If you believed it, then obviously it was a believable rumor, so isn't that what you want here? If you didn't believe him, why are you so angry? I thought it was great fun reading all the posts. I don't enjoy reading posts dripping with vitriol. 8)

Just my .02
  • Reply 57 of 79
    It's not the rumor that deserves our ire. It is how he took advantage of so many others desires for revolutionary new announcements by grandstanding, when he obviously didn't have anything to grandstand about. All to stroke his own ego. It's sad really.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    What, then, is a rumor for? If Rolo is truthfull in saying that he got it from somewhere (TS and the other guy did, too), then the originator of the rumor is laughing his head off at all of us - right up to His Steveness - right now. Unless it was true, in which case he is shaking his head in disgust (They just don't get it, man!).

-----

Guys, look at all the attention this is getting... it's priceless! I have said all along that it was a good and well-told story, whether true or not, and sure enough, here we are, still talking about it. How many threads die an early death and are forgotten just as quickly? This one certainly did not, and will continue to lead to discussions for some time. This is a trip.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

It's not the rumor that deserves our ire. It is how he took advantage of so many others desires for revolutionary new announcements by grandstanding, when he obviously didn't have anything to grandstand about. All to stroke his own ego. It's sad really.

Hate to disillusion anyone but I could care less about the ego thing. I heard a hot rumor and shared it. Seems like that was a really bad thing to do. I also shared my excitement about it and that, too, was a very bad thing to do.

So, to sum up, if you hear a rumor, don't mention it, don't get excited about it, keep it all to yourself because after all, this isn't a place to share ideas or discuss rumorsÑit's a place where anonymous cowards can engage in character assassination at will and say things you wouldn't say to anyone's face, right?

Very, very sad.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Hate to disillusion anyone but I could care less about the ego thing. I heard a hot rumor and shared it. Seems like that was a really bad thing to do. I also shared my excitement about it and that, too, was a very bad thing to do.

So, to sum up, if you hear a rumor, don't mention it, don't get excited about it, keep it all to yourself because after all, this isn't a place to share ideas or discuss rumorsÑit's a place where anonymous cowards can engage in character assassination at will and say things you wouldn't say to anyone's face, right?

Very, very sad.

Are you still here?