Sources weigh in on Apple's MacBook Pro and iBook plans

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer's new MacBook Pro line of laptops simply represents a re-branding of its previous PowerBook G4 line and will not affect the company's consumer iBook offerings, which will see their own share of updates in the coming months, sources have told AppleInsider.

Sources familiar with the company's Intel plans say the Mac-maker will continue to build on the MacBook Pro product line later this year with the addition of new models, but will first introduce a fresh wave of iBook consumer laptops in the second calendar quarter.

Come April or May, sources maintain that Apple will revamp its iBook line with a new eye-catching industrial design built around a 13-inch widescreen display and low-end Intel Yonah processor. The new iBooks are also expected to be slimmer than their predecessors, but retain robust enclosures that are ideal for education markets.

At this time, it's likely that Apple may also choose to re-brand its iBooks under a different name. As part of its transition to Intel chips, sources say Apple wants to display its "Mac" trademark more prominently on its personal computers in an effort to both leverage and better distinguish the Mac brand.

Inline with speculation, sources agree that renaming the iBook to "MacBook" would make the most logical sense. This would allow Apple to distinguish is consumer (MacBook) and professional (MacBook Pro) laptops with the "Pro" identifier. However, this remains pure speculation at this time.

Although both the iMac and 15-inch MacBook Pro reportedly entered into a design freeze during the same week of December, Apple has announced that the MacBook Pro won't begin shipping until next month, while the iMac is readily available.

Consumers looking to adopt a new MacBook Pro should not fret, however, as sources say the shipping delay stems almost completely from the company's accelerated transition scheduled and lack of production quality parts -- such as Intel's new Core Duo processors -- and not technological issues.

According to the first set of shipping estimates, Apple is looking to begin delivering the first MacBook Pro orders on or after February 7th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    I'm all for these wonderful new Mac laptops but Apple should really rethink the name. 'MacBook' ??? That sounds entirely too similiar to WinBook...
  • Reply 2 of 107
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

I'm all for these wonderful new Mac laptops but Apple should really rethink the name. 'MacBook' ??? That sounds entirely too similiar to WinBook...

I agree. The name stinks

-K
  • Reply 3 of 107
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

I agree. The name stinks

-K

It's too late now. Why didn' they ask us first?

• Reply 4 of 107
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

I personally favor iPowerMacBook ProNanoShuffle.
  • Reply 5 of 107
    The name is awful, absolutely awful. Hopefully when they come out with the real Intel PowerBooks they'll just call them PowerBooks.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    One strong indication that they aren't renaming the iBook is that they didn't rename the iMac. I think they just wanted to get rid of the Power naming to distance themselves from PowerPC. "i" is pretty much Apple's branding (iPod, iLife, iWork, iMac, etc.), and unless they start renaming those other products, iBook should be safe.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    why not Macintosh iBook and Macintosh ProBook?

okay, yeah, macintosh is a bit old school. but mac probook sounded just as weird to me.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nightshift

One strong indication that they aren't renaming the iBook is that they didn't rename the iMac. I think they just wanted to get rid of the Power naming to distance themselves from PowerPC. "i" is pretty much Apple's branding (iPod, iLife, iWork, iMac, etc.), and unless they start renaming those other products, iBook should be safe.

I'm not sure. Jobs did say that they were through with Power, but I think he also said that they wanted to get Mac into all of the names.

I would assume that would mean for the hardware, not the software.

The only machine that will probably remain safe is the XServe.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by awinn233

The name is awful, absolutely awful. Hopefully when they come out with the real Intel PowerBooks they'll just call them PowerBooks.

Because the "power" in PowerBook refers to the PowerPC processor in the PowerBooks. Now that the PowerPC CPU is not longer inside it would be stupid to continue to use that name. It would confuse a LOT of people as to whether an intel or IBM Power PC chip was inside.

As for the name MacBook or MacBook Pro I don't like it either. Maybe it will grow on us over time or Steve Jobs will change the name. My guess is that the name won't change.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Sure. I hear it's going to be called the MacServe Extreme
  • Reply 11 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

XMac?
  • Reply 12 of 107
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    The new nomenclature does open the possibility for a MacBook mini.

Okay half-speculating/half-teasing.

However, think of this. By the end of this summer we might have:

MacBook Pro

MacBook

Mac Pro

iMac

Mac mini
  • Reply 13 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sabon

Because the "power" in PowerBook refers to the PowerPC processor in the PowerBooks. Now that the PowerPC CPU is not longer inside it would be stupid to continue to use that name. It would confuse a LOT of people as to whether an intel or IBM Power PC chip was inside.

This is untrue. The PowerBook name was introduced when the 100, 140, and 180c models came out (1991, IIRC). These and subsequent laptops (until the PPC603 chip came out in the mid 90's) used 680x0 (x=0,3,4). The Powerbook was (and is) a great name signifying a laptop.

After nearly 15 years, people may have come to associate power with powerpc; however, it was not the original link.
  • Reply 14 of 107
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

As for the name MacBook or MacBook Pro I don't like it either. Maybe it will grow on us over time or Steve Jobs will change the name. My guess is that the name won't change.

They were Powerbooks long before they sported the Power processors. I had a Powerbook 170 with a 68030 processor.

edit - my post button is no match for that of the poster above me
  • Reply 15 of 107
    Hey Sabon.... My PowerBook Duo 280c doesn't have a PowerPC processor in it... Sorry to blow a hole through your logic...

PowerBook is the name Apple has given thier laptop computers since 1991. PowerPC chips weren't used in PowerBooks until 1995.

I think the name MacBook is awful... but it ain't gunna change...

It just doesn't sound... well... powerful.

I just hope the iBook remains the iBook.

edit- my posts reflect the speed of my 280c! HA!
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

XMac?

I don't think so, guys.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    This is what I'd like to see:

Mac Pro

iMac

Mac mini

MacBook Pro

iBook

MacBook mini
  • Reply 18 of 107
    Quote:

Then why keep the name iMac?
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Because Apple wants the name Mac in their HW products.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

You're correct. It should now be the iiMac. As in intel internet Mac.