Apple slashes 20-inch PowerPC iMac pricing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First on AI -- In a move aimed at depleting inventory of older PowerPC Macs, Apple Computer on Wednesday slashed the price of its 20-inch 2.1GHz PowerPC-based iMac desktop.

The 20-inch PowerPC iMac now carries a suggest retail price of $1499 -- a $200 price reduction from $1699 -- Apple told its reseller partners in the United States. Apple also reduced the cost of the model in several other regions, AppleInsider was told.

Meanwhile, the company's 17-inch PowerPC iMac pricing remained unchanged. According to contacts, Apple has had little problem clearing inventory of this model at its original suggested retail price of $1299.

Last week limited inventories caused Apple to halt large reseller orders of the 17-inch PowerPC model in the United States. The model was also declared "end-of-life."

Apple's online store will continue to offer both the 17-inch and 20-inch PowerPC iMacs for individual customer orders while supplies last. The desktops are priced at $1299 and $1499, respectively.

Shoppers looking for additional savings may turn to Amazon.com, which is offering its customers $125 back on the 17-inch model ($1174.99) and $150 off the 20-inch ($1349.99).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    I'll be holding off on any new purchases at least until next year when the Pro apps are all updated and relatively bug-free. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 49
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Currently £1199 for the 20" iMac g5, vs. £1229 for the 20" iMac Intel. Subtracting VAT, that's $1813 in the UK for the iMac G5, and $1860 for the new Intel iMac. Thanks, Apple. Really.

20" Cinema Display is still a ridiculous £549 as well...
  • Reply 3 of 49
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

In a move aimed at depleting inventory of older PowerPC Macs, Apple Computer on Wednesday slashed the price of its 20-inch 2.1GHz PowerPC-based iMac desktop.

On Wednesday they slashed (past tense) prices. Is it tomorrow already? How about, on Wednesday they will lower prices instead, future tense? $200 isn't slashing, I would say 1/2 price or more is slashing.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I'll be holding off on any new purchases at least until next year when the Pro apps are all updated and relatively bug-free. 8)

This is only the G5 Model that's slashed. The intel is still 1699
  • Reply 5 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'd have thought Apple should drop prices on all iMacs, and 15" PowerBook, right away. But I guess they've let demand dictate the price instead.

(Have bugs been a problem in native Intel apps? I'm not too worried about that. I'll jump to a new machine as soon as I see the right model--maybe a 12-13" MacBook Pro. I don't care if every app is native yet or not: new purchases of software will of course wait for native versions, but meanwhile, the PPC apps I already own will generally run faster on Intel than on my G4 anyway.)
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Apple Store customers in Canada now save $250 on the 20" iMac G5.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just curious: when will we see a "I am infuriated... again!" thread from SDW?
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Woot! Prices are updated in EDU store as well.

Just ordered

20" iMac G5 - $1399

Applecare - $119

Grand total $1518 (plus tax) from Apple Education Store

That is a deal.

Now to find a 2GB memory module without paying the $1080 Apple was asking.... should be pretty easy hahaha Hard part is paying off the credit card bill next month.

Well I'm happy now.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Domino

Woot! Prices are updated in EDU store as well.

Just ordered

20" iMac G5 - $1399

Applecare - $119

Grand total $1518 (plus tax) from Apple Education Store

That is a deal.

Now to find a 2GB memory module without paying the $1080 Apple was asking.... should be pretty easy hahaha Hard part is paying off the credit card bill next month.

Well I'm happy now.

why don't you get the 20" from amazon instead? they don't charge for ship and tax. then, buy the applecare from the apple edu store.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

why don't you get the 20" from amazon instead? they don't charge for ship and tax. then, buy the applecare from the apple edu store.

Because I'm one of the lucky few to live in a state that Amazon charges tax in.... Ordered my iBook G4 in Nov 2004 from them, no tax, free shipping plus rebate. In 2005 they added a shipping warehouse in-state, so now they add tax for Kentucky.

Taxed on both ends, the final "price" with rebate isn't too far off from Apple EDU, plus I don't have to fill out paperwork and wait 8-10 weeks for a rebate check.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperbolic monkey consolidated

Apple Store customers in Canada now save $250 on the 20" iMac G5.

That is what? $1.50, or a a cup of coffee here in the USA?

• Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

$218 US as of today.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Think again. The U.S. dollar is rapidly depreciating against the Canadian dollar.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...submit=Convert

A Canadian dollar is now worth 1.1397 U.S.

Three years ago, it was worth about 1.60 U.S.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...CAD&amt=1&t=5y

This doesn't take into account the fact that the Chinese and Japanese governments are artifically propping up the U.S. dollar by buying U.S. dollar denominated bonds profusely. Were it not for the Chinese and Japanese governments, the U.S. dollar would be at par with the Canadian dollar, or possibly worth even less.

So, please, check your facts before making a joke at the expense of our currency.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I think you have those backwards. US $1 was worth Cdn $1.60 but now is only worth Cdn $1.14. Right? If you change "now/was worth" to "used to cost / costs", then your original post makes sense
  • Reply 15 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

So, please, check your facts before making a joke at the expense of our currency.

Wow, I can't believe you take national currencies so seriously. It's all just a con you know.

People gave up real gold for these pretty pieces of paper, and now the government can just print more of them whenever it wants, effectively giving it unlimited funds. And the only side effect is the value of *your* savings goes down! Best con in history.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

Currently £1199 for the 20" iMac g5, vs. £1229 for the 20" iMac Intel. Subtracting VAT, that's $1813 in the UK for the iMac G5, and $1860 for the new Intel iMac. Thanks, Apple. Really.

The 20" iMac G5 in the UK is now £1049. Ie. they've knocked £150 off the price.

That's $1,590.916 without VAT so only about $100 more than the USA.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Great price for the 20" iMac G5..

The only bummer about buying the G5 version is regarding the "rumored" movie store coming this year..

According to rumor, this Movie service may only be compatible with intel-based Macs.. Apparently the only DRM that the big Hollywood studios would allow is both hardware and software based.. Something that only the Intel Macs will be able to provide..

Again, this is only rumor, but it does sound plausible.. There are several stories i've read stating that apart from getting a faster chip inside the laptops, DRM and Hollywood are another major reason for the Intel switch.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

Wow, I can't believe you take national currencies so seriously. It's all just a con you know.

People gave up real gold for these pretty pieces of paper, and now the government can just print more of them whenever it wants, effectively giving it unlimited funds. And the only side effect is the value of *your* savings goes down! Best con in history.

Luckily they don´t do that (or at least haven´t done so since the 70s) because the implications would be worse than not doing so.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

The only bummer about buying the G5 version is regarding the "rumored" movie store coming this year..

According to rumor, this Movie service may only be compatible with intel-based Macs...

Which rumor?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Think again. The U.S. dollar is rapidly depreciating against the Canadian dollar.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...submit=Convert

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...CAD&amt=1&t=5y

This doesn't take into account the fact that the Chinese and Japanese governments are artifically propping up the U.S. dollar by buying U.S. dollar denominated bonds profusely. Were it not for the Chinese and Japanese governments, the U.S. dollar would be at par with the Canadian dollar, or possibly worth even less.

Owned! lol