Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha

Comments

• Reply 61 of 169
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

I currently use FileVault and have had no issues...

Placebo darling, is that empathy I hear? Look, I'm not demonizing or trashing Windows users, I used to be one, sweetie. And in order to label a group drones, they'd have to be a much more vast amount of people. PC users possess a bigger population, hence my statement. And by the way, for future reference, it's in a Mac user's nature to act and speak in such a tone...we're the minority. I'm not mad at the users, I'm mad at the corporation that subjects the users to such technological plagiarism. Also, what I've also found that the reason Macs have a bigger price tag is because: 1. They're built to last a long time, and 2. Often, many of the things you'd have to buy separately with a PC is already included or built in to a Mac.

Oh yeah, if you're going to pose a counterargument, please do so in a more composed, grammatically correct manner.

First, an extra bracket doesn't constitute a grammatical error, honey.

Second, how about we stop trying to be condescending and look at the facts, sweetcakes. I can buy a $1500 computer with off-the-shelf parts that absolutely throttles a Powermac a grand more. Add Windows for a hundred something, set aside three hundred for miscelaneous apps, and I'm still getting better performance at a lower price from the Mac. And I know it's going to last a long time because I was actually able to choose, from thousands of intercompatible parts, what I wanted in my computer.
  • Reply 62 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

eh, don't mind placebo. he's having some issues right now, having decided to switch to windows, and is desperately trying to rationalize the decision, and gets defensive whenever anyone brings up the point that it may have been, in fact, a bad decision. he'll be on dr. phil inside the month.

I'll be laughing all the way to the bank, buddy.
  • Reply 63 of 169
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

First, an extra bracket doesn't constitute a grammatical error, honey.

Second, how about we stop trying to be condescending and look at the facts, sweetcakes. [/i].

Wow, I think you need to take your own advice.
  • Reply 64 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Wow, I think you need to take your own advice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
  • Reply 65 of 169
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

The ironic thing here is that if you are saying that your "sweetcakes" post was ironic, then you are wrong (edit: IMHO). It was sarcastic.

If you are aware that the post was sarcastic, and you are saying that it's ironic that Flounder didn't notice, then fair enough.

That is all.
  • Reply 66 of 169
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Something that I'm interested in is the price structure of vista. Apparently there will be six versions with six differnt prices. It'll be interesting to see how much the vista version that is eqivalent to tiger/leaopard finally costs. I'm guessing that version will be vista home ultimate. Anyone care to guess what that will cost?
  • Reply 67 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Something that I'm interested in is the price structure of vista. Apparently there will be six versions with six differnt prices. It'll be interesting to see how much the vista version that is eqivalent to tiger/leaopard finally costs. I'm guessing that version will be vista home ultimate. Anyone care to guess what that will cost?

Yes, I'm interested in this too. I don't know when Microsoft are planning on elaborating on pricing; all we have to go on at the moment is XP pricing.

This would suggest the nearest Vista equivalent to OS X Leopard will be between 50 and 100% more expensive at retail (going by UK prices).
  • Reply 68 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Yes, I'm interested in this too. I don't know when Microsoft are planning on elaborating on pricing; all we have to go on at the moment is XP pricing.

This would suggest the nearest Vista equivalent to OS X Leopard will be between 50 and 100% more expensive at retail (going by UK prices).

Apparently vista (ultimate) will have some features like iLife.

I'm gonna throw this number out. Bear in mind, I found this in my ass. $250 USD for ultimate. 20% more than tiger and iLife combined.
  • Reply 69 of 169
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

The ironic thing here is that if you are saying that your "sweetcakes" post was ironic, then you are wrong (edit: IMHO). It was sarcastic.

If you are aware that the post was sarcastic, and you are saying that it's ironic that Flounder didn't notice, then fair enough.

That is all.

No, I noticed the sarcasm. I just still think he needs to take his own advice.

I'm sure Placebo wouldn't confuse irony and sarcasm. He's been reading at a college level since third grade!
  • Reply 70 of 169
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

I'll be laughing all the way to the bank, buddy.

WTF?

Are you STILL here
  • Reply 71 of 169
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't think you have to go all the way up to Ultimate to get feature-competitive with Tiger.

Vista Home Premium will outstrip Tiger feature-wise simply because it includes Windows Media Center, which Apple has no duplicate for.

And there are only 3 versions for the home user.

Vista Home Basic

Vista Home Premium

Vista Ultimate

I'd bet that all you'd ever see on store shelves are Home Premium and Ultimate. Currently XP has Home and Pro versions, so it won't really be any different.

I'd also bet that Basic will only show up installed on OEM systems.
  • Reply 72 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Windows Media Center, which Apple has no duplicate for.

Er... Front Row?

I know that Front Row is closed, whereas Media Center has a plugin architecture and is therefore much more flexible, but whether we like it or not, Front Row is Apple's answer to Media Center.
  • Reply 73 of 169
    Quote:

I don't think you have to go all the way up to Ultimate to get feature-competitive with Tiger.

Vista Home Premium will outstrip Tiger feature-wise simply because it includes Windows Media Center, which Apple has no duplicate for.

And there are only 3 versions for the home user.

Vista Home Basic

Vista Home Premium

Vista Ultimate

I'd bet that all you'd ever see on store shelves are Home Premium and Ultimate. Currently XP has Home and Pro versions, so it won't really be any different.

I'd also bet that Basic will only show up installed on OEM systems.

I went back and checked an article on vista over at ars and it looks like premium is the Tiger eqivalent . Still anxious to see the pricing. MS knows how to make a buck. I wonder if they go ahead and stick it to the consumer.
  • Reply 74 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

No, I noticed the sarcasm. I just still think he needs to take his own advice.

I'm sure Placebo wouldn't confuse irony and sarcasm. He's been reading at a college level since third grade!

It's ironic that I'm using condescending terms to reprimand someone for being condescending. It could also be termed to be sarcastically hypocritical, but it definitely falls under the category of being ironic.

Just to clear some things up: I'm going to try to run Mac OS X on the PC to the best of my ability, but failing that, use Linux/Windows.
  • Reply 75 of 169
    Quote:

It's ironic that I'm using condescending terms to reprimand someone for being condescending. It could also be termed to be sarcastically hypocritical, but it definitely falls under the category of being ironic.

Not that I want to get into an argument about semantics, but this would be a matter of opinion rather than fact. Your post was unquestionably sarcastic. Quoting from the Wikipedia article, emphasis added mine:

"Some psycholinguistic theorists suggest that sarcasm ... should ... be considered [a kind of] verbal irony."

Well, I reject that suggestion. It's just my opinion, but I do not think that sarcasm should be thought of as a sort of irony.
  • Reply 76 of 169
    Well, in any case, it was used in a manner intentionally ironic/sarcastic/hypocritical.
  • Reply 77 of 169
    Quote:

Just to clear some things up: I'm going to try to run Mac OS X on the PC to the best of my ability, but failing that, use Linux/Windows.

Why don't you use multiple platforms? Most of us here have to use windows for something, ie games or apps not written for mac. Go get a windows machine and use it for games and keep your mac for internet and general stuff that's easier in the mac.
  • Reply 78 of 169
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Er... Front Row?

I know that Front Row is closed, whereas Media Center has a plugin architecture and is therefore much more flexible, but whether we like it or not, Front Row is Apple's answer to Media Center.

Argument in SAT question form.

Front Row::Media Center as housecat::lion

It's not even Front Row that means anything, it's the little remote that matters. I honestly do not understand why Front Row is considered any kind of breakthrough. It's a pretty nice little application with extremely limited uses.

Windows Media Center does everything Front Row does and a ton more. The main feature, of course, being DVR/TiVO functionality.

So to meet the level of Vista Premium you have to buy Tiger and at least two other software packages (iLife and something like El Gato's EyeTV). And not even that can get it because only Vista's Media Center will have CableCard support which will allow recording of HDTV off cable.

It should be disturbing that when it comes to software Apple is ahead of the game on tiny things like little widgets (Konfabulator Apple Style) and Automator (that no one uses) but when it comes to things millions of people would find useful in their computers they often find themselves behind the curve (CD Burning, DVR); iMovie being the most notable exception.

Front Row is insanely frustrating. I can't believe they just kludge this thing together and the most obvious funcionality for it languishes.
  • Reply 79 of 169
    Quote:

Argument in SAT question form.

Front Row::Media Center as housecat::lion

It's not even Front Row that means anything, it's the little remote that matters. I honestly do not understand why Front Row is considered any kind of breakthrough. It's a pretty nice little application with extremely limited uses.

Windows Media Center does everything Front Row does and a ton more. The main feature, of course, being DVR/TiVO functionality.

So to meet the level of Vista Premium you have to buy Tiger and at least two other software packages (iLife and something like El Gato's EyeTV). And not even that can get it because only Vista's Media Center will have CableCard support which will allow recording of HDTV off cable.

It should be disturbing that when it comes to software Apple is ahead of the game on tiny things like little widgets (Konfabulator Apple Style) and Automator (that no one uses) but when it comes to things millions of people would find useful in their computers they often find themselves behind the curve (CD Burning, DVR); iMovie being the most notable exception.

Front Row is insanely frustrating. I can't believe they just kludge this thing together and the most obvious funcionality for it languishes.

Well said. The only problem is Steve bloody Jobs and his attitude towards TV. Someone just needs to lock him in a cupboard and only let him out once DVR functionality is in Front Row and it's too late for him to do anything about it.
  • Reply 80 of 169
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Apparently vista (ultimate) will have some features like iLife.

I'm gonna throw this number out. Bear in mind, I found this in my ass. $250 USD for ultimate. 20% more than tiger and iLife combined.

Well, maybe for upgrade pricing $250USD would work. Right now a non-upgrade of XP Pro retails at $299.99. Ultimate is supposed to be even more expensive.