Apple unveils Mac mini Core Duo

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple today unveiled the new Mac mini with the Intel Core Duo processor, delivering performance up to four times faster than its predecessor and providing even greater expansion in the same compact design.

Starting at $599, Apple says the Mac mini is the most affordable way to enjoy iLife ?06, the next generation of its award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications. Each Mac mini features the Apple Remote and Front Row, letting users play their music, enjoy photo slideshows, watch DVDs, iMovies, music videos and television shows from across the room.

"With the new Mac mini, Apple has now moved 50 percent of its entire product line to Intel within 60 days?a record transition," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. ?The new Mac mini is now up to four times faster with the Intel Core Duo, includes even greater expansion in the same incredibly compact design, and is the most affordable way to enjoy Front Row and iLife ?06."

Featuring the next generation of Apple?s Front Row media experience, the new Mac mini gives customers a simple way to enjoy their digital lifestyle content on the computer, including music, photos and videos from across the room using the Apple Remote. With the latest version of Front Row, customers can now effortlessly access shared iTunes playlists, iPhoto libraries and video throughout their home via Bonjour, Apple?s zero configuration wireless networking built into Mac OS X.

The new Mac mini also offers a completely new system architecture for performance up to four times as fast as the previous Mac mini, including a 667 MHz front-side bus and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory expandable to 2GB.

With the latest high-performance connectivity options, every new Mac mini now includes built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g WiFi for fast 54 Mbps wireless networking, built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) and a total of four USB 2.0 ports, twice as many as the previous generation. The compact computers also pack a DVI interface and a VGA-out adapter to easily connect to a variety of displays, including many of today?s most popular flat panel televisions. The system also features both analog and digital audio outputs to easily connect to a home stereo.

Each Mac mini includes iLife ?06, the next generation of Apple?s award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring major new versions of iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand and the new iWeb -- a new iLife application that makes it super-easy to create amazing websites with photos, blogs and Podcasts and publish them on .Mac for viewing by anyone on the Internet with just a single click. All the iLife ?06 applications are Universal applications that run natively on the new Intel-based Mac mini for maximum performance, Apple said.

Pricing & Availability

?The new Mac mini is shipping today and will be available through the Apple Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new 1.5 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $599 (US), includes:

1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo processor;512MB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable up to 2GB;a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive;60GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;Intel GMA950 graphics processor;built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000 BASE-T);four USB 2.0 ports;one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately); andthe infrared Apple Remote.

The new 1.66 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $799 (US), includes:

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor;512MB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable up to 2GB;a slot-load 8x SuperDrive? with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);80GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;Intel GMA950 graphics processor;built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;

Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000 BASE-T);four USB 2.0 ports;one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately); andthe infrared Apple Remote.

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 80GB, 100GB and 120GB Serial ATA hard drives, iWork ?06 (pre-installed), AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme Base Station, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Wireless Mouse, Apple USB Modem and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The new Mac mini line is also available to education customers in the US and Canada through the Apple Store for Education.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 781
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    It looks like the chipset reserves 64MB of main memory for use with the Intel built-in graphics hardware. This is probably not going to be a World of Warcraft speed demon by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 2 of 781
    GMA950 Graphics albeit with some dedicated memory, no included consumer word processor, and its more expensive. It has a lot of cool new features, but it's not something I'd want to buy.
  • Reply 3 of 781
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    BAD.

People buying the mini don't want 4x the speed for almost twice the price. They want maybe 2x the speed for the same price.

PC users are looking for shitbox bargains.

This is a problem I have with the mini. It solved a problem no one had. Why artificially constrain it to using laptop parts which are slower and more expensive just so it looks "cool" because it's so small?

IDIOTS. Make it a little bigger and cheaper. And perhaps a third model that is slower, or something, anything, to get the cost back to the magic $499.

No wonder stock went down. They just don't get it. Same with the iPod Hi Fi. Good idea perhaps, but that's a kind of pricey boombox.

I'll be buying when they are back to under that magic $499. Remember $479 edu pricing everyone? Can't wait till it gets back to that. Well I hope it does.
  • Reply 4 of 781
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

GMA950 Graphics albeit with some dedicated memory

The GMA does not have any dedicated memory. It uses a minimum of 80 MB of system RAM, according to Apple's spec. page.
  • Reply 5 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

BAD.

People buying the mini don't want 4x the speed for almost twice the price. They want maybe 2x the speed for the same price.

PC users are looking for shitbox bargains.

This is a problem I have with the mini. It solved a problem no one had. Why artificially constrain it to using laptop parts which are slower and more expensive just so it looks "cool" because it's so small?

IDIOTS. Make it a little bigger and cheaper. And perhaps a third model that is slower, or something, anything, to get the cost back to the magic $499.

No wonder stock went down. They just don't get it. Same with the iPod Hi Fi. Good idea perhaps, but that's a kind of pricey boombox.

I'll be buying when they are back to under that magic $499. Remember $479 edu pricing everyone? Can't wait till it gets back to that. Well I hope it does.

Apple is all about coolness and innovation. Unfortunately that also causes them to miss the big picture sometimes. Apple really needs two brand names: The innovative and Stylish Apple and something a little more conservative and practical that still delivers what Apple as a company has to offer.
  • Reply 6 of 781
    Overall I'm pretty impressed with the upgrades..the only killer, Integrated graphics. Come on apple get with the program, I gurantee the top of the line mini still chokes just trying to watch the HD trailers you can get off itunes. A simple upgrade option would of been nice. 100 dollars for a 256MB x1300 still would of made them profit. That alone stopped me from buying one today.
  • Reply 7 of 781
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

GMA950 Graphics albeit with some dedicated memory, no included consumer word processor, and its more expensive. It has a lot of cool new features, but it's not something I'd want to buy.

blech.

I donno how it compares to the 9200 of the previous minis, but I doubt it's going to look too much better.

I like the processor upgrade, I'd like to see some PVR features.. maybe an all-in-wonder or something.

I mean, just a modicum of respect for the gaming crowd. This would've been a bargain 2 years ago, but now it pales in comparison to much of what's on the market.
  • Reply 8 of 781
    Hmm, FrontRow was expected. I'm disappointed there's no TiVo killer feature out the box and glad there's no built-in iPod dock.

It'd be neat if Apple built a TiVo killer, but a) they're just too damn politically correct and b) it's not in their best interest when they can get $2 a show from iTMS users.

If some other company develops a device and software that can be plugged into the Mac Mini to record shows then play them back in FrontRow, I might be interested in this. I'm not saying I'd buy it, but I might at least want it...
  • Reply 9 of 781
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I like it.

GigE networking

Front Row

More USB

Duo Core

AP/BT

You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere.
  • Reply 10 of 781
    5400rpm drives, more USB and an audio input - all of my thoguhts on my mini have been addressed. I'll hold out til 10.5 at the end of the year and update my mini then, so hopefully rev B intel will be out with slightly better specs still. Anyone think the base model is missing? Will we see a new addition to the line soon?
  • Reply 11 of 781
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Integrated graphics would be fine on a sub $500 model but it really kills the higher end models. The Mac mini serves two groups of people. Those looking for a cheap entry level computer and those who want to pack in as much power into as small a computer as possible. They could have easily separated the Mac mini for these two distinct groups.

Imagine...

An entry level Mac mini with 2 USB ports, internal modem, 10/100BaseT ethernet, analog audio, integrated graphics and core solo.

A high end Mac mini with 4 USB ports, no internal modem, Gigabit ethernet, digital audio, ATI x1300 graphics and core duo.

Well, at least now we know the specs of the upcoming MacBook (iBook) don't we?
  • Reply 12 of 781
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    4 usb slots ? damn i wanted that for my macbook.

i also agree the 499 price point was a good one.

maybe down the road?

i mean look at all the apps you get for 599 though.
  • Reply 13 of 781
    Lost me with the integrated graphics decision.

I'll wait to see if they rethink this decision. If not I'll target a different system.
  • Reply 14 of 781
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Too expensive, integrated graphics??? Yuck.
  • Reply 15 of 781
    Stupidest. Move. Ever. The Mac mini ALSO needs to be for entry level people that DON?T need gigabit Ethernet, or optical audio in or any of those other features that they added that make it 20% more expensive. It?s good that Apple added them? but they should be an OPTION, and people that want an ENTRY level Mac shouldn?t have to pay the extra $100 for a bunch of stuff they?ll never use.
  • Reply 16 of 781
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Stupidest. Move. Ever. The Mac mini ALSO needs to be for entry level people that DON?T need gigabit Ethernet, or optical audio in or any of those other features that they added that make it 20% more expensive.

What do you mean? How do you know they don't need Gigabit or Optical Audio In? What you want is Apple to create a bland box for %20 cheaper. Wrong platform if that's the case.

Hell I really don't give a rip about the integrated graphics. If you want to game the iMac is your better solution. If you want a hightly functional unit then the Mac mini is a winner. I have BT and Airport standard. I have a nice suite of software.

I expect that in 2007 mine will become dedicated to the 55" HDTV that I purchase then. Once you see Front Row in action all makes sense.
  • Reply 17 of 781
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't know about the core duo version... I think It's too much $$$ for what you get, but I think the core solo version may be my new intel transition computer. I'm still weighing in on the options, and waiting for some reviews. The built in Graphics they used was a mistake, but it has to be built in to fit it in the box so it';s hard to say. That may have been the best one they could have used with out going over the price point they needed.
  • Reply 18 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I mean, just a modicum of respect for the gaming crowd. This would've been a bargain 2 years ago, but now it pales in comparison to much of what's on the market.

Wrong. Intel's integrated graphics was supposedly in 47% of all PC's shipped last year. Gaming is a very small proportion of the market.

It does suck somewhat that they upped the price of entry. In the UK, the cheapest G4 1.25Ghz model was available for £279. The cheapest Core Solo is £449. The Core Duo Mini though makes the iMac look like a bargain.

They do however leave themselves room to slot in a Celeron M 4xx model at about $100 less when Intel start shipping that chip. And don't say they won't do it. People were saying yesterday "No Integrated Graphics".
  • Reply 19 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

If some other company develops a device and software that can be plugged into the Mac Mini to record shows then play them back in FrontRow, I might be interested in this. I'm not saying I'd buy it, but I might at least want it...

Done. Elgato EyeTV 200/500 turns your Mac into a DVR, and use Equinux MediaCentral (freeware) instead of Front Row.

The downside: $5-600 for a Mac mini + $3-350 for the EyeTV.

The upside: no monthly fee (a la Tivo), also puts Mac OS X in your living room.
  • Reply 20 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by ctachme

Stupidest. Move. Ever. The Mac mini ALSO needs to be for entry level people that DON?T need gigabit Ethernet, or optical audio in or any of those other features that they added that make it 20% more expensive. It?s good that Apple added them? but they should be an OPTION, and people that want an ENTRY level Mac shouldn?t have to pay the extra $100 for a bunch of stuff they?ll never use.

The Gigabit ethernet is standard across Apple's line. The need for such speed will become apparent shortly. This media center is flawed with it being overkill, as you say, for the average consumer and way underkill for the above average user who likes the idea this compact system can be connected and used for much more than just word processing, web browsing and emailing.

Apple is saving themselves considerable amounts of time in manufacturing by going with a standard mobo from Intel and at the same time not going to woo people other than those who already have 3 workstations, 2 laptops and could use this for extra projects without the heavy expense of the workstation or laptop form factors.