Apple unveils Mac mini Core Duo

Comments

• Reply 321 of 781
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

When most of the orders are one way, and some are the other, those have to be removed from the ass'y lines and have the additions placed by other methods. The lines are constructed for the mass production of standard items. Anything that isn't standard has to be done seperately. Very often, this means hand placement.

The build-to-order products have their "specials" assembled off-line.

The ass'y line looks like a tree. Every time the product comes to a branch where a "special" must be done, it exits the line at that point. It's complex. But it works.

The equipment is not as verstile as you think. They do a run. The entire run must be the same. At the end of the line is the test jig. It tests the boards. All boards must be the same. That's the way mass production works.

I really doubt that. If that's how Apple's production line works, they should spend more money on developing it. (Yes, I know it isn't Apple's production line, it is Quanta's or Asustek's or whatever. Apple could still contribute to its improvement, as it is in their interests to do so).

It really would not be difficult to put some intelligence into the production line. Taking the wireless thing as an example, and considering the two different possibilities of: wireless on daughter-card or wireless direct on motherboard:

Wireless on daughter-card:

Have a production line that makes the daughtercards.

The mac mini production line then has a robot at some point in it that fits the daughter cards. Lets say your production run is for 1000 minis and 800 of them should have wireless. You just have a counter on the robot that fits the daughter cards, and when it reaches 800, it stops fitting them. It should not be hard to make sure the test rig at the end knows that the first 800 minis will have wireless and the next 200 will not.

Wireless on motherboard:

At some point in the motherboard production, chips are placed. You program the pick and place machine to place 800 motherboards with wireless chips, and 200 without.

Apple's BTO systems seem to lag behind Dell's in their capabilities. I would suggest that they should invest in making them better.
  • Reply 322 of 781
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I really doubt that. If that's how Apple's production line works, they should spend more money on developing it. (Yes, I know it isn't Apple's production line, it is Quanta's or Asustek's or whatever. Apple could still contribute to its improvement, as it is in their interests to do so).

It really would not be difficult to put some intelligence into the production line. Taking the wireless thing as an example, and considering the two different possibilities of: wireless on daughter-card or wireless direct on motherboard:

Wireless on daughter-card:

Have a production line that makes the daughtercards.

The mac mini production line then has a robot at some point in it that fits the daughter cards. Lets say your production run is for 1000 minis and 800 of them should have wireless. You just have a counter on the robot that fits the daughter cards, and when it reaches 800, it stops fitting them. It should not be hard to make sure the test rig at the end knows that the first 800 minis will have wireless and the next 200 will not.

Wireless on motherboard:

At some point in the motherboard production, chips are placed. You program the pick and place machine to place 800 motherboards with wireless chips, and 200 without.

Apple's BTO systems seem to lag behind Dell's in their capabilities. I would suggest that they should invest in making them better.

I suggest that you call the manufacturers of the machinery and computers. They would be interested to hear your ideas.

Production lines are notoriously difficult to alter. Dell's lines are no different.
  • Reply 323 of 781
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I suggest that you call the manufacturers of the machinery and computers. They would be interested to hear your ideas.

Production lines are notoriously difficult to alter. Dell's lines are no different.

If they really are that hard to alter, they are poorly engineered. You're an engineer, right? How hard can it be to fit a programmable counter onto a robot? The things are computer controlled, yes?

edit:

I know that setting up a production line is hard, and I'm not surprised. Getting all the tolerances right and making sure you do everything in the correct order in the correct amount of time is a daunting task. The things I am suggesting would add a very small amount of time to the setup prodedure.
  • Reply 324 of 781
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by neumac

...$1,200 Core Duo mini tower anyone?..

You'll have a whole ton of takers on that one. Plus if we are talking GPU-wise the sweet spot of price/performance - a nVidia 6600GT or 6800GS card (these outperform ATi's x1300 and x1600 at openGL stuff, however nVidia enabling hardware h.264 encoding and decoding would be the icing on the cake...)
  • Reply 325 of 781
    rgreenrgreen Posts: 2member
    forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't the new Mac Mini be a good machine for programming?
  • Reply 326 of 781
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

GMA950 Graphics albeit with some dedicated memory, no included consumer word processor, and its more expensive. It has a lot of cool new features, but it's not something I'd want to buy.

I believe Apple CAN'T include a consumer word processor with Mac's anymore. There is no other logical reason why they don't. I think Steve had to bend over and take one for the team on this issue.

When you think of the amazing power and completeness of the iLife suite for most any consumer tasks, it makes no sense that Apple wouldn't include Pages in iLife even if it meant raising iLife's price a bit. Therefore I submit that it is a part of an Apple/Microsoft deal where Microsoft agrees to keep making Office for Mac and Apple agrees not to bundle iWork or try making an Office quality replacement suite.

In the end, if it is for work you buy Office. If you have Office at work and can afford it, you buy Office for home. Office is an institution so Apple needs it to stay available. It's like the QWERTY keyboard which will won't die in the US until decades after the US finally manages to go metric...

Corey
  • Reply 327 of 781
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rgreen

forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't the new Mac Mini be a good machine for programming?

I think it would make a nice little xcode box. the only drawback is...no dual monitor support unless you buy one of those dvi splitters, and that's a horrible way to live. I guess you could attach a 23" monitor but nothing beats duals for coding...I'd get an iMac and use the dvi out for a nice dual rig.
  • Reply 328 of 781
    rgreenrgreen Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I think it would make a nice little xcode box. the only drawback is...no dual monitor support unless you buy one of those dvi splitters, and that's a horrible way to live. I guess you could attach a 23" monitor but nothing beats duals for coding...I'd get an iMac and use the dvi out for a nice dual rig.

Thanks for the response. I only have one 20" LCD so it would work for me. I never really cared for the appearance off the imac (like that really matters. ;-))but maybe I should reconsider.
  • Reply 329 of 781
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    This model is pricey for the feature set. The integrated graphics card is a bottleneck too. I like the concept of the mini, but there is a limit on the compromises you can make for the form factor. A larger box with more power is more appealing. YMMV.
  • Reply 330 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

If they really are that hard to alter, they are poorly engineered. You're an engineer, right? How hard can it be to fit a programmable counter onto a robot? The things are computer controlled, yes?

edit:

I know that setting up a production line is hard, and I'm not surprised. Getting all the tolerances right and making sure you do everything in the correct order in the correct amount of time is a daunting task. The things I am suggesting would add a very small amount of time to the setup prodedure.

It isn't that they can't use a programmable counter. The lines simply aren't designed to do that. That doesn't mean that they couldn't be designed to do that. But the added complexity would only result in coding errors, extra machinery, more space in the plant, and still wouldn't be flexible enough to cover recipe changes. even if they could do that, where do these specials go when they are off the line/ How will anyone know which units are which? They all get loaded for the next step in the assembly process. They would still have to be off-loaded at the end.

You have to remember that these systems are designed to put out millions of the same devices. Lines that only put out a couple hundred thousand are somewhat more flexible, but not to the extent that you would like.

This all goes back to Henry Ford. "Give them any color they like, as long as it's black." That's the way to get the price down. specials are always assembled by hand. Even at Dell. There are certain operations that the robots simply can't do. They are really very simple beasts. Up, down, turn. That's easy. Insert is much harder. Sideways motions are very difficult. That has to be done by hand. There are rows upon rows of women doing that.

Certain soldering operations must be done by hand as well. Stuffing a board into a molded case almost always is done by hand, as are the screws. Assembly of the parts of the cases are done by hand. Even the placing of the labels and the protective plastic on the surface is done by hand.

These aren't chip plants.
  • Reply 331 of 781
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple include Pages in iLife even if it meant raising iLife's price a bit.

At the very least include Pages with every new Mac, just as they do iLife.
  • Reply 332 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

At the very least include Pages with every new Mac, just as they do iLife.

I would like them to give us the choice. But the software is already installed, so I don't know how they would do that.

The idea is to give us the machine ready for use.
  • Reply 333 of 781
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

That's for the 945G. The 950 is a much better chip. The 950 is certified for Vista, I don't think the 945G is. Correct that, if I'm wrong.

This past August Article is quite poignant.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...805045323.html

Excerpt:

Quote:

?The new graphics capabilities in Windows Vista will require a powerful graphics engine if you want to take full advantage of all the new and cool stuff, such as the new Aero Glass look. You probably want to avoid the low-end of the current GPU range and make sure you get a GPU that supports DirectX 9 and has at least 64MB of graphics memory,? a special article by Microsoft dedicated to hardware requirements of Windows Vista explains.

Windows Vista Aero Glass, Aero Express and Diamond themes (interfaces) use DirectX 9.0 pixel shaders to render the GUI and everything on the screen. This puts pretty high requirements for graphics processor used for rendering, as rapid appearance of dialog boxes and windows is crucial for comfortable and fast work of a user. Given that graphics cores integrated into chipsets generally provide relatively slow performance under substantial workloads, Microsoft seems to be correct in advising customers not to expect those to be sufficient choice for Windows Vista.

It should be noted that DirectX 9.0-supporting graphics card with 64MB of memory is an entry-level of Microsoft?s recommendations, which means that higher-end graphics cards are preferable for the Vista?s advanced interfaces, such as Aero Glass, Aero Express and Diamond.

?If you chose a system that has built-in graphics, again make sure that the system has a PCI Express or AGP slot that will let you add a graphics card later in case the onboard graphics chipset doesn't fully support Windows Vista,? Microsoft advices.

Intel's 965 GMA out Q2 2006.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipset...223041305.html

Quote:

Intel Corp.?s next-generation integrated graphics core will reportedly provide a lot of innovations among graphics capabilities, according to leaked slides from the company?s roadmap. Particularly, the new core that is to be found in Intel G965-series chipsets will sport new 3D capabilities as well as high-definition video acceleration.

Intel G965 core-logic will support Shader Model 3.0, including pixel shaders 3.0 and vertex shaders 3.0 as well as hardware decoding of WMV9b HD high-definition video streams. In addition, the new integrated graphics core from the world?s largest chipmaker will provide HDMI output, according to slides published by HKEPC web-site. It is unclear whether the new graphics core will support HDCP encryption as well.

According to the web-site, the first A0 samples of the Intel G965 graphics and memory controller hub (GMCH) have been out and their testing is complete. At this point Intel is reportedly testing the B0 samples of the chipsets, whereas the final C0 or C1 samples will be out in 14th ? 18th week (May, 2006). The availability of the Intel G965 chipset is expected in the third quarter of the year.

Intel controls over one third of the graphics market. In particular, the company shipped over 37% of graphics solutions in Q4 2005, according to Mercury Research.

The new Intel G965 GMCH product will be the second mainboard-integrated core-logic solution supporting Shader Model 3.0 capabilities. Nvidia Corp. was the first last year to unveil its GeForce 6100 and 6150 solutions with similar feature sets, however, those chipsets were intended for processors by Advanced Micro Devices.

Reported Tech Specs:

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5155/

ntel 965 Broadwater chipset to be available in 2006Q2

William Henning - Monday, November 14th, 2005 | 11:31AM (PST)

Intel plans to introduce the Broadwater chipset in the second quarter of 2006.

Digitimes reports that the "Broadwater" 965 chipset will be available in both Consumer and Enterprise versions.

For the consumer market:

P965:

* 533/800/1066 MHz FSB

* Dual channel DDR2 800 memory interface

G965: Adds GMA to P965

* Intel GMA (integrated video) to P965

For the enterprise market:

Q963:

* 533/800/1066 MHz FSB

* Dual channel DDR2 533/667

* Intel GMA (integrated video)

* SIPP (Stable Image Platform Program)

Q965: Adds following features to Q963

* DDR2 800 dual channel support

* dual display output

* iAMT (Intel Active Management Technology)

Prices for the chipsets vary from $38-$42

It will be interesting to see how this new chipset performs. The dual DDR800 memory channels will theoretically allow up to 12.8GB/sec memory bandwidth; and the 1066MHz FSB will allow for 8.5GB/sec bandwidth to the CPU - leaving up to 4.3GB/sec bandwidth for the GPU or peripherals for accessing memory (ignoring memory contention overhead) - in practical terms this means that even 32 bit color 1280x1024 Windows desktop display will have a negligable impact on memory bandwith.
  • Reply 334 of 781
    Quote:

I would like them to give us the choice. But the software is already installed, so I don't know how they would do that.

I suppose this is the choice. The software comes installed but you have to pay for it to keep it.

Maybe Apple doesn't give it away as to avoid too much competition with MS Office. Most people would take a free Pages over spending another $500 for Office.

But if you have to spend money anyway might as well go ahead and buy Office.
  • Reply 335 of 781
    Quote:

I would expect Apple to use the new chipset once it becomes available.
  • Reply 336 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Excerpt:

Reported Tech Specs:

Digitimes reports that the "Broadwater" 965 chipset will be available in both Consumer and Enterprise versions.

For the consumer market:

P965:

* 533/800/1066 MHz FSB

Q963:

* 533/800/1066 MHz FSB

* dual display output

It will be interesting to see how this new chipset performs. The dual DDR800 memory channels will theoretically allow up to 12.8GB/sec memory bandwidth; and the 1066MHz FSB will allow for 8.5GB/sec bandwidth to the CPU - leaving up to 4.3GB/sec bandwidth for the GPU or peripherals for accessing memory (ignoring memory contention overhead) - in practical terms this means that even 32 bit color 1280x1024 Windows desktop display will have a negligable impact on memory bandwith.

That was the one I was thinking about. Thanks.
  • Reply 337 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I suppose this is the choice. The software comes installed but you have to pay for it to keep it.

Maybe Apple doesn't give it away as to avoid too much competition with MS Office. Most people would take a free Pages over spending another $500 for Office.

But if you have to spend money anyway might as well go ahead and buy Office.

Most people don't need Office. Student/Teacher edition is pretty much the same thing, and costs no more than $135, even at Apple, and they don't have the lowest prices. I've seen it for $99 at times here in NYC.
  • Reply 338 of 781
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Excerpt:

Reported Tech Specs:

For the consumer market:

P965:

* 533/800/1066 MHz FSB

Q963:

* 533/800/1066 MHz FSB

* dual display output

Intel's releasing G965 to support conroe, but is it pin compatible with older chipsets?....
  • Reply 339 of 781
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Consumers look at the ghz rating, thats all they know. This was the same argument going on for the G4 and G5.

We may know better, but most folks don't.

My Mac-using friends either do know better or simply don't known (or care) enough about hardware specs to be misleadingly influenced by them. When I've helped the latter make purchasing choices they're most interested in (and ask questions about) software-related issues that might apply to what they want to do with the system. Any hardware-related interest has to do with peripherals (e.g. will their printer work).

It's obvious that people making significant purchases owe it to themselves to be accurately informed about influential factors they're unsure of. It's challenging to make that a less intimating and time-consuming process with complex products. It's easiest (and often fun) helping someone who's actively looking for sufficient pre-purchase assistance but not everyone realizes they may need it. And not everyone is prepared or qualified to help even if they'd like to.

I don't have patience with anyone's helpless habit of stubbornly shirking responsibility for cluelessly presumptuous purchasing decisions and blaming someone else for their ineptness.

Oh, yeah, there's a Mac mini update...
  • Reply 340 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

My Mac-using friends either do know better or simply don't known (or care) enough about hardware specs to be misleadingly influenced by them. When I've helped the latter make purchasing choices they're most interested in (and ask questions about) software-related issues that might apply to what they want to do with the system. Any hardware-related interest has to do with peripherals (e.g. will their printer work).

It's obvious that people making significant purchases owe it to themselves to be accurately informed about influential factors they're unsure of. It's challenging to make that a less intimating and time-consuming process with complex products. It's easiest (and often fun) helping someone who's actively looking for sufficient pre-purchase assistance but not everyone realizes they may need it. And not everyone is prepared or qualified to help even if they'd like to.

I don't have patience with anyone's helpless habit of stubbornly shirking responsibility for cluelessly presumptuous purchasing decisions and blaming someone else for their ineptness.

Oh, yeah, there's a Mac mini update...

Sometimes I think this argument is overrated. I've been in Best Buy where people look at the price and what the machines come with, but don't really seem to look at how much memory is in the machine, how big the HD is, or what the speed of the machine is. The size and type of monitor is important, and so is whether it comes with a printer, so that they don't have to think about making the choice themselves.