Apple unveils Mac mini Core Duo

Comments

• Reply 341 of 781
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bitemymac

Intel's releasing G965 to support conroe, but is it pin compatible with older chipsets?....

Excellent question and at the price differential between that and the 950 it makes you wonder which systems this chipset would be provided.

The one system no one gives two shits about having decent graphics, XServers, is the one system Apple should feel confident in having an integrated graphics system on-board and enabled.
  • Reply 342 of 781
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I would expect Apple to use the new chipset once it becomes available.

mini, imac, no-way-in-hell mini-tower?
  • Reply 343 of 781
    zengazenga Posts: 267member

..I didn't realize until now the beauty of the mac mini.. honestly what else do you people want apple to come up with better that this precious little piece or tech-art??? and now it's just even better!! I the the mac mini to be the center of your digital life in the not so distan future.. it already is for many people, but i think that soon will be for more.. imagine the future mini with blu-ray or hd-dvd.. wirelles keyboard & mouse... front row 2.0 + Leopard "awesome" hooked up to your "big ass" TV set & home theater, movies, music, you name it.. i see it as a family home center for everything you need, you name it..

but wait, what future am i talking about.. it's here today!!!

enjoy!
  • Reply 344 of 781
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Yes.

Person "A" is considering switching. All they need is the simple stuff as I outlined before. But they've seen a PC that costs $399. If a Mac Mini costing $499 existed, they may consider the $100 premium worth it for OS X, and iLife, and better physical appearance. But $399 vs $599? Apple looses.

A huge number of people are very price driven. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Apple should be trying to obtain 100% market share by offering every single type of machine currently offered by the myriad PC makers. But what I am asking is what the hell is wrong with giving customers the choice, rather than forcing features upon them that they may not want?

The 399 dollar crowd is not the crowd Apple wants. Razor thin if any margins, any profit will be killed by the numerous calls to tech support etc.. The 399 dollar PC buyers are the same folks who go to Buffet Halls and eat for 8 people. Who wants that business. I payed BTO for the Airport and bluetooth for the first mini so 599 is no price difference for me compared to last year.
  • Reply 345 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

..I didn't realize until now the beauty of the mac mini.. honestly what else do you people want apple to come up with better that this precious little piece or tech-art??? and now it's just even better!! I the the mac mini to be the center of your digital life in the not so distan future.. it already is for many people, but i think that soon will be for more.. imagine the future mini with blu-ray or hd-dvd.. wirelles keyboard & mouse... front row 2.0 + Leopard "awesome" hooked up to your "big ass" TV set & home theater, movies, music, you name it.. i see it as a family home center for everything you need, you name it..

but wait, what future am i talking about.. it's here today!!!

enjoy!

And I suppose the Integrated Intel Graphics are going to drive the HD video.
  • Reply 346 of 781
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hugodrax

The 399 dollar crowd is not the crowd Apple wants. Razor thin if any margins, any profit will be killed by the numerous calls to tech support etc.

Apple could make a $499 computer with the same margin as the $599 one. When the Celeron 4xx comes out, they could do $449 or perhaps even $399 at the same margin.

Really I don't get the mini. Hardly anyone buys it because it is really, really small. They buy it because it is inexpensive. Secondary attractions are the fact that it's smaller than a normal tower (note that it needn't be really, really small to be smaller than a normal tower), and it is quiet.

If Apple had made the mini big enough to contain a full-size hard-drive and optical drive, they still could have made it run quiet and smaller than a normal tower. The component costs would also have been lower, and much better hard-drive options would be available. There would also be enough room for full-size RAM dimms.
  • Reply 347 of 781
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

That doesn't seem to be a problem. The cpu is decompressing the codec.

The 950 is designed for video. It can output 2500 x 1500. It has balls enough for that.

Someone tested the Solo 1.5GHz model, and it ran 720p without a problem.

I'd like to know how it does with 1080i as well. 1080p is out of the question for the Solo, but I think there's a good chance that the Duo can run it.

Not that there is any useful 1080p material, other than demo's, out there now.
  • Reply 348 of 781
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Picky, picky. Anyone with a $3000 super HD TV is not going to worry themselves with a Mac Mini, they'll just sit there in their massage chair or Home Theater with surround sound and leave the "computing" to the peasants.
  • Reply 349 of 781
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

I believe Apple CAN'T include a consumer word processor with Mac's anymore. There is no other logical reason why they don't. I think Steve had to bend over and take one for the team on this issue.

When you think of the amazing power and completeness of the iLife suite for most any consumer tasks, it makes no sense that Apple wouldn't include Pages in iLife even if it meant raising iLife's price a bit. Therefore I submit that it is a part of an Apple/Microsoft deal where Microsoft agrees to keep making Office for Mac and Apple agrees not to bundle iWork or try making an Office quality replacement suite.

In the end, if it is for work you buy Office. If you have Office at work and can afford it, you buy Office for home. Office is an institution so Apple needs it to stay available. It's like the QWERTY keyboard which will won't die in the US until decades after the US finally manages to go metric...

Corey

They include one and have for over a decade. They've decided not to update that program because it's not innovative enough for Steve Jobs. They'd rather you spend $70 on a cool suite that can do really cool presentations and page layout type things. However, most people just want to write letters, and make some lite spreadsheets and databases. That iWork isn't so good at. iWork would be perfect if it were a companion to an updated AppleWorks.
  • Reply 350 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

They include one and have for over a decade. They've decided not to update that program because it's not innovative enough for Steve Jobs. They'd rather you spend $70 on a cool suite that can do really cool presentations and page layout type things. However, most people just want to write letters, and make some lite spreadsheets and databases. That iWork isn't so good at. iWork would be perfect if it were a companion to an updated AppleWorks.

Yeah. I don't know why Apple didn't just take the database and spreadsheet from Appleworks. with a bit of rework, they would have been fine for iWork. They had already been rewritten for OS X. These weren't bad programs either.
  • Reply 351 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yeah. I don't know why Apple didn't just take the database and spreadsheet from Appleworks. with a bit of rework, they would have been fine for iWork. They had already been rewritten for OS X. These weren't bad programs either.

Like I've said before, I think Apple is so wrapped up in innovation that they've completely ignored practical considerations in some cases. If they cannot do it in a new and stylish way, they won't do it at all. The entire company has become more or less an R&D lab.
  • Reply 352 of 781
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Like I've said before, I think Apple is so wrapped up in innovation that they've completely ignored practical considerations in some cases. If they cannot do it in a new and stylish way, they won't do it at all. The entire company has become more or less an R&D lab.

I somewhat agree with this. I think practical consideration is still there in some cases. Just look at Spotlight and Dashboard. These have practical use and Apple incorporated into the OS ... granted it was in a new way, but they still have practical use.

Apple is still a computer company, though. It's both it's triumph and it's bane. We want Apple to make innovative products for our homes because we've come to believe over the years that Apple is better than just about everbody at creating sleek, easy to use items that combine power and art, and while you can build a PC box cheaper, it just isn't going to have Apple design ... or Mac OS X.

Before the iPod, what portable device did Apple have? The Newton ... yeah, I had one of those ... LOVED it, but it was for a niche market and it didn't sell terribly well. That's why I find all the talk of an Apple PDA somewhat interesting. We went down this road before and it didn't turn out so great, but like you noted, innovation is King at Apple, and if they can reinvent the PDA, you can be damn sure Steve will sell it. When the iPod came out, people moaned that Apple shouldn't take a nosedive into the MP3 player market, and now look ... the iPod has completely redefined the way we carry, play and think about digital media.

Being an R&D lab isn't a bad thing ... you get your product to market faster ... if it's a hit, then you make all the money and market before your competitors can hit back. If it flops, then you're out some money and take some hits on the boards and in the press. It's a double-edged sword. Right now people EXPECT Apple to innovate and lead digital media. It's one of the reasons everyone was pissed off at "paltry" announcements yesterday. A new computer and brand new product aren't exactly paltry, but Apple didn't release expected innovations, and took a hit on the streets for it. Thank God Ars reviewed the MBP yesterday or they'd still be fuming on the boards over there.

We're 2 months into 2006, and so far Apple is half-done with the transition. Despite people's opinion that the Hi-Fi will flop and the mini's "high price" and "sucky graphics" will kill entry level computing for Apple, I remain ever the optimist and expect Apple to do some pretty spectacular stuff between now and 2007.
  • Reply 353 of 781
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Beats the shit out of ms works. Not as full featured as ms office but is a lot easier to learn for the average user. I hope they integrate the spreadsheet and database in iworks. It would be a great suite. It wouldn't necessarily take users awy from ms works, but would give the averge user an alternative. I could then use ms works only when i HAVE to. I still hate word.
  • Reply 354 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

I somewhat agree with this. I think practical consideration is still there in some cases. Just look at Spotlight and Dashboard. These have practical use and Apple incorporated into the OS ... granted it was in a new way, but they still have practical use.

Apple is still a computer company, though. It's both it's triumph and it's bane. We want Apple to make innovative products for our homes because we've come to believe over the years that Apple is better than just about everbody at creating sleek, easy to use items that combine power and art, and while you can build a PC box cheaper, it just isn't going to have Apple design ... or Mac OS X.

Before the iPod, what portable device did Apple have? The Newton ... yeah, I had one of those ... LOVED it, but it was for a niche market and it didn't sell terribly well. That's why I find all the talk of an Apple PDA somewhat interesting. We went down this road before and it didn't turn out so great, but like you noted, innovation is King at Apple, and if they can reinvent the PDA, you can be damn sure Steve will sell it. When the iPod came out, people moaned that Apple shouldn't take a nosedive into the MP3 player market, and now look ... the iPod has completely redefined the way we carry, play and think about digital media.

Being an R&D lab isn't a bad thing ... you get your product to market faster ... if it's a hit, then you make all the money and market before your competitors can hit back. If it flops, then you're out some money and take some hits on the boards and in the press. It's a double-edged sword. Right now people EXPECT Apple to innovate and lead digital media. It's one of the reasons everyone was pissed off at "paltry" announcements yesterday. A new computer and brand new product aren't exactly paltry, but Apple didn't release expected innovations, and took a hit on the streets for it. Thank God Ars reviewed the MBP yesterday or they'd still be fuming on the boards over there.

We're 2 months into 2006, and so far Apple is half-done with the transition. Despite people's opinion that the Hi-Fi will flop and the mini's "high price" and "sucky graphics" will kill entry level computing for Apple, I remain ever the optimist and expect Apple to do some pretty spectacular stuff between now and 2007.

to a certain extent, I agree with both you and Ben.

I think they are trying, but don't want to use anything that's older. They want everything new.

What bothers me about this, in some areas, because basically, I don't see a problem (look at iLife!) with it all of the time, is that they sometimes ignore an important market that they own already!

We're talking about Appleworks. That's a perfect example. Many people don't realise this, but it has been a standard in schools almost from when it first came out. That's for both PC's and Macs, because it's (was?) cross platform. It ALWAYS recieved better reviews that MS Works, also cross platform (not now though, I think).

So, schools used that program as a standard. But Aple let it lapse over the past five years or so, and now it's fallen out of favor.
  • Reply 355 of 781
    This whole thing is out of control. Nothing Apple could have presented would have satisfied everyone.

When the iPod 5G came out, people went bezerk complaining about the poor graphics, based on the specs. The actual graphics are drop-dead georgeous and the device is selling like hot-cakes.

When the new mini hits people's desks we will see how the integrated graphics work; I bet they will be more than satisfactory for the people who buy the mini because they are not geeks like us. If you aren't happy with IG on a mini, you have the option of a Quad with a Quadro FX 4500. Jane and Joe Average don't know the difference and probably couldn't care less.

The mini's price is also fine. If you want a 399 box, go get one. Based on specs, you can get something faster and cheaper. By the time you add in software on par with the mini's (there is none that I am aware of that is all made by the same maker and therefore interconnected and intuitive) you will surpass the mini's cost with these extra ghost costs. Check out this page to see what they have to say about the cost of the mini.

Lastly, never, never forget that warm fuzziness you feel knowing it's a Mac.
  • Reply 356 of 781
    Apple Store Japan is down... We'll Be Back Soon!

Something going on?
  • Reply 357 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

This whole thing is out of control. Nothing Apple could have presented would have satisfied everyone.

Lastly, never, never forget that warm fuzziness you feel knowing it's a Mac.

That is all too true ... on both counts. Wasn't it the guy from ML yesterday saying that if Apple wants to keep bringing the press to their events, they'd better have something more? WTF? What else did you want ... sometimes its as if analysts get their predicitions straight from message boards and rumours. While I love AI as much as the next person, I don't consider it "concrete" proof of Apple doing something. More than a few people have forgotten this. Also, Steve ended his show by telling everyone they'd see them really soon. With less than a month before the 30th, I'm willing to bet an brand new and innovative products will be waiting until then. It's less than a month folks, so don't get all flustered about it.

Quote:

What bothers me about this, in some areas, because basically, I don't see a problem (look at iLife!) with it all of the time, is that they sometimes ignore an important market that they own already!

We're talking about Appleworks. That's a perfect example. Many people don't realise this, but it has been a standard in schools almost from when it first came out. That's for both PC's and Macs, because it's (was?) cross platform. It ALWAYS recieved better reviews that MS Works, also cross platform (not now though, I think).

I did always wonder why Apple abandoned AppleWorks. It's pretty much gone the way of Sherlock - but at least Sherlock got replaced by another OS feature (Dashboard). Sure, MS Office is pretty much standard ... I do have a copy of it and I'm forced to use it because all of my profs want digital copies of reports and research ... but they won't take PDF for whatever reason, so I'm forced to send .doc files. I find Office's interface very annoying. Everything is at your mouse tip, but hell, with all that crap on the screen there's barely enough room to type the damn paper. It's the one app that more than anything has made me want dual monitors. Maybe Apple should consider splitting iWork and AppleWorks into two distinct categories. Develop iWork to have spreadsheet and database functions as well in am iWork type way, and then revamp AW to make it look like it actually goes with OS X and update some of the features ... if they did that, I'd be hooked.

I think iWork was an attempt to reinnovate AW, but of course its incomplete, and right now, people are so interested in Apple hardware, that they could care less about productivity software ... and so Apple has put it on a really big backburner.
  • Reply 358 of 781
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Apple Store Japan is down... We'll Be Back Soon!

Something going on?

AppleStore US is fine ... maybe they're adding the new Mini and Hi-Fi to the store?
  • Reply 359 of 781
    They were already there because I checked the prices (74,000 yen and 99,000) for the mini.

Dunno...
  • Reply 360 of 781
    Quote:

to a certain extent, I agree with both you and Ben.

I think they are trying, but don't want to use anything that's older. They want everything new.

So, schools used that program as a standard. But Aple let it lapse over the past five years or so, and now it's fallen out of favor.

The worst mistake Steve Jobs made since returning was spliting up Claris and putting CW under Apple's thumb. When left alone, they made a great product and Apple reaped the benefits. Since then it hasn't been really updated, MS Works has become a better product, and its "replacement" doesn't exactly do the same thing. I move we continue this discussion in a seperate thread.