Winner announced in Windows XP on Intel Mac contest

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Now we have 2 unique ways (neither proving the 'fix' just yet...

Not quite. Bambios is still in progress, they haven't actually got it to work yet, have they?

Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

Buying a Mac to boot windows is STOOOOOOOOPID!!!

Sure. But buying a mac to boot OSX most of the time and boot windows a little bit is smart. Way smarter than wasting the cash on a second machine.

Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The more narf is dragging his feet on this, the more I think this is a...

You called "fake" AFTER it was announced that his solution was confirmed? What are you, nuts? He didn't drag his feet, he went through the proper channels of verifying the solution with independent testers before releasing it.

Quote:

Originally posted by bitemymac

Nothing special about iMac booting windows...

Well, nothing but saving a few hundred bucks from not buying a PC. I consider that pretty special.

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Even with special deals & coupon codes, I haven't seen another claim of a core duo Dell for under $1100 or so, and I think that was a base model.

Inspiron E1505 for $749.

FYI, the solution instructions and needed files have been posted on the contest website. Anyone who's interested can give it a shot now.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by journeygaut

Why would anyone want to run the Windows OS natively on a Mac. Running it in Virtual PC would be the only option for me.

Because they want to run apps full speed, which VPC doesn't do. Not to mention that VPC doesn't run AT ALL on the intel boxes right now.

XP and OSX are on different partitions. At this point we don't even know if the XP boot can see the OSX partition, I doubt it. If that's the case, you're completely safe.
  • Reply 23 of 112
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    On a general note, pooling small amount together to form a large reward fo someone coming up with a solution is pretty smart (although some must be very pissed they didn´t come first).

Is this a "normalised" thing? Does it have a name?
  • Reply 24 of 112
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

I know, I've been hearing so much of exactly that, what's sad is how many of these people will be a little surprised to realize their Windows partition has been doing little more than gathering dust for several months.

Or, more likely, they'll find out that their OS X partition is gathering dust for months on end. If they need windows, they'll probably end up staying in windows sooner or later, rather then deal with the reboots back and forth.

Esp since they're not going to want to buy all new software to do anything on the mac side of things.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    Quote:

Because they want to run apps full speed, which VPC doesn't do. Not to mention that VPC doesn't run AT ALL on the intel boxes right now.

Of cource VPC won't run full speed on PowerPC chips...there's a lot of emulation going on there. Hopefully Microsoft will be able to elimiate MOST of the emulation on their VPC solution for the Intel based mac, making it quite speedy indeed.
  • Reply 26 of 112
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Dual-booting is too time-consuming and complicated for the average user so I don't see if really influencing the average user. I wouldn't want to restart my computer every-time I wanted to use a Windows program and running an emulator isn't ideal either. Most users don't even know what they're running they just want word and msn messenger.
  • Reply 27 of 112
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

The firmware types aren't the same, which makes it a big deal.

Can you please back this up? Even with special deals & coupon codes, I haven't seen another claim of a core duo Dell for under $1100 or so, and I think that was a base model. Not a bad deal, but not cheaper than a mini duo.

I think there's too much platform bigotry and exclusivism going on here. I don't think it is stupid to want to run Windows. Frankly, there are plenty of apps that don't have a Mac counterpart, and similarly functioning programs aren't necessarily adequate substitutes. Until there is a good substitute that allows Windows software to run within OS X Intel, this would be a necessary first step to make the Mac a viable platform for a lot of people. Something like this would make it easier for some people to keep a fall-back position in case they don't like OS X. OS X is very nice but it still has annoying things that make it hard for people that have used Windows for a decade to get used to.

Dell coreduo labtop @ 1.66Ghz starts at $699.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=19&oc=E1505L1

Well.... firmware difference can be overcome..... heard of xpostfacto runing older 1st generation G3 macs on current OS X.

Anyway, Dell labtop it contains basically same internals, but comes with alot more. With some coupon/sales you can get something with better GPU (currently offers ATI x1400 or Nvidia 7800) and turn this mama into OS X machine.......... and I'll be excited. Of course, it will also boot windows.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

On a general note, pooling small amount together to form a large reward fo someone coming up with a solution is pretty smart (although some must be very pissed they didn´t come first).

Is this a "normalised" thing? Does it have a name?

Venture funding.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Nothing special about iMac booting windows... It's an intel reference board design just like Dell. What would get me excited would be booting OS X on Dell..... I would definately buy a dell labtop to boot OS X, but wouldn't buy iMac to boot windows...... atleast buying a dell coreduo labtop seems to be cheaper than getting the macmini coreduo.

Well, I'd be more excited about booting OS X on a Tablet PC and having Inkwell work with it.

Unfortunately, I don't see Apple allowing that anytime soon, but we can always dream.
  • Reply 30 of 112
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Nothing special about iMac booting windows... It's an intel reference board design just like Dell. What would get me excited would be booting OS X on Dell..... I would definately buy a dell labtop to boot OS X, but wouldn't buy iMac to boot windows...... atleast buying a dell coreduo labtop seems to be cheaper than getting the macmini coreduo.

Aside from the macintels don't have a bios, and instead have EFI.. the macs don't know they're PCs, in a sense.

this is VERY impressive

As someone said before, a mac running windows simply ALLOWS some people to buy macs.

The opportunity cost of owning a mac just went down:

About to buy a new computer? Can't live without your windows stuff? Why not pay an extra few hundred dollars and get the best OS out there?

Before this, people would say "well I can't live without windows" so they'd effectively have to buy 2 computers.

Given that macs are 50% more expensive than PCs, people who need/want both OS's can now save 40% (100% PC / [150% mac + 100% PC]).

I have a PC and a mac.. maybe my next computer will be a macintel powermac.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Dual-booting is too time-consuming and complicated for the average user so I don't see if really influencing the average user. I wouldn't want to restart my computer every-time I wanted to use a Windows program and running an emulator isn't ideal either. Most users don't even know what they're running they just want word and msn messenger.

While the average user won't be interested, other will.

VPC won't be able to run video at full speed, even on an Intel Mac. Gamers who otherwise want a Mac won't have a problem in dual booting. It really isn't such a big deal.

Many of us on Mac's over the years used to have different System folders on each partition or drive. I still do that. That's what the "Startup" Control Panel was for, and now the icon in System Prefs. If this Win partition, or drive can be accessed from System Prefs, then it is real easy. Even if we have to turn the machine off and on again to access it, it isn't a big deal to get complete Win functioning and speed?when you need it.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Dell coreduo labtop @ 1.66Ghz starts at $699.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=19&oc=E1505L1

Well.... firmware difference can be overcome..... heard of xpostfacto runing older 1st generation G3 macs on current OS X.

Anyway, Dell labtop it contains basically same internals, but comes with alot more. With some coupon/sales you can get something with better GPU (currently offers ATI x1400 or Nvidia 7800) and turn this mama into OS X machine.......... and I'll be excited. Of course, it will also boot windows.

Not that you were comparing this to the MacBook Pro but just so people don't get the idea that the MacBook Pro is not a good deal.

Add XP pro, 80 Gig hard drive, 1.83GHz processor, increase the screen somewhat and still have lower resolution and dimmer screen, the Inspiron you cited comes with integrated graphics, the price jumps to over $1300. And you're still stuck with integreated graphics, lower resolution screen, no built in isight and whatever else Dell skimped on the get this price down, which includes the pain in the arse $250 rebate.

Please remember, I didn't say you were comparing the twoand I'm not trying to start a big argument, I just wanted to point out that yes the Insperion will meet many people's needs, but that in no way should it detract from the value of the, now dual boot wonder, MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 33 of 112
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

VPC won't be able to run video at full speed, even on an Intel Mac.

Neither does this...
  • Reply 34 of 112
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Neither does this...

This DOES run at full speed. There are just a few driver issues, most notably for the video card. So they don't have video acceleration working yet, but the apps themselves are running at full speed.

Also, we don't know what speed VPC will run at, there is the possibility that it could run at full speed.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    I just dont understand why any Mac user would want to boot Windows to begin with!! I mean arent we all Mac users because we dont like the way Windows runs? I know for me, Windows became increasingly frustrating and laborious. Macs run so much smoother and more sisinctly. Not to mention the entire OS is soooo much more stable.

I guess I just dont get the whole interest in the ability to boot Windows.

Also, I thought the contest was interesting at first but I def see where the prize money stopped all the creative conversations that we usually see on these forums about a solution to a particular problem. Like someone else said, it stopped everyone from working together. Was a bad idea imo. ( For everyone other than the winner that is.)

Plus the solution is crazy!!!! I would have thought the solution was going to be relatively easy. Like something we all could do. I dont know about anyone else but I havent owned a PC since WIndows 98 and try not to ever even sit in front of one let alone own one. Seems like the solution that won the money was and is very difficult for the average user. So i just dont see how ANY of this helped any of us.

Only thing prize money does is create greed, and stiffles a community from working together to achieve something. IMO anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

This DOES run at full speed. There are just a few driver issues, most notably for the video card. So they don't have video acceleration working yet, but the apps themselves are running at full speed.

Also, we don't know what speed VPC will run at, there is the possibility that it could run at full speed.

The first part is correct. But, from what I've been reading, VPC for Intel (if it ever does come out) will still have to emulate the video card, as only one OS can have control of that hardware at once. And that would be OS X.

Therefore, while the programs themselves could run at near full speed, any graphics acceleration will still be pretty slow.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dean812

I just dont understand why any Mac user would want to boot Windows to begin with!! I mean arent we all Mac users because we dont like the way Windows runs?

Plus the solution is crazy!!!! I would have thought the solution was going to be relatively easy. Like something we all could do. I dont know about anyone else but I havent owned a PC since WIndows 98 and try not to ever even sit in front of one let alone own one. Seems like the solution that won the money was and is very difficult for the average user. So i just dont see how ANY of this helped any of us.

Only thing prize money does is create greed, and stiffles a community from working together to achieve something. IMO anyway.

Funny, it looks like in this case, "stiffling" ended up getting the job done. Now that the prize has been claimed, they're taking it open source and others are pitching in to improve it. If prize money was really so bad, we wouldn't have this solution.

The solution is actually pretty simple, the trickiest part is that you have to create your own install disk. And if you don't care about being legal, if you torrent an install disk it won't be much trickier than installing OSX.

And there's a simple answer why some mac users want to run this. Because there are some apps that aren't available on mac, and we need to run them.

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The first part is correct. But, from what I've been reading, VPC for Intel (if it ever does come out) will still have to emulate the video card, as only one OS can have control of that hardware at once. And that would be OS X.

Therefore, while the programs themselves could run at near full speed, any graphics acceleration will still be pretty slow.

What's your source on that? Sounds like it may just be speculation.

Regardless of whether VPC comes out, there will probably be other solutions that allow running windows apps without a reboot (wine, Q, etc).
  • Reply 38 of 112
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Why would I want to boot windows on my gorgeous 20" iMac? For the odd time I want to play a $2000 (Canadian) Xbox. Seriously.

If the game has a Macintosh version, I'll buy and play that version. If not - and I want to play it, I'll boot Windows. Be that as it may, it'll be a stripped down, barebones Windows that only has what it needs to get the gaming done.

Damn I'm going to have to slipstream a thin (HA!) Windows SP2 when I get home. Now they just have to get the video drivers inline!
  • Reply 39 of 112
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by jms698

According to Macworld:

... native graphics drivers aren?t in place yet, for example, so there is limited video performance ? a blow to Mac gamers who had hoped for a solution that would let them play Windows games on their new Mac hardware.

?There is no chance you could play a game using this solution, aside from minesweeper,? said Nederkoorn. ?It looks like a fix for this may be a ways off yet.?

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

that just blows it for me.

FUCK. and i'm being serious here.
  • Reply 40 of 112
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

The contest:

http://windowsxp.onmac.net/The%20Contest.html

The forum:

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=64

The photo proof:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32436196@N00

Looks like (if this is legit and I think it is) 'Narf' is going to be paying the taxes on a cool $12,598 bucks!

Dave

If you go to OSNews you can download a QuickTime movie (.MOV) that shows Windows getting installed and running on an iMac. There is no sound and the video quality is kinda poor but that is probably because of the auto focusing and small file size since it clears up when the camera is held still. It would have been nice to see how we would choose which OS to boot, but I am sure there will be more articles on this subject in the near future, with screen shots.