Winner announced in Windows XP on Intel Mac contest

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

MS licenses Vindows for just one machine. After installing, it either calls home to register, or you have to do it manually.

The question is whether this was a new purchase, or one that was already installed somewhere else.

You are allowed to reverse engineer a product to get it to work with something else, but you are not allowed to install it on two machines.

It's tough to know what MS would say if this was a new purchase.

they should get real excited about all the new sales of winblows...
  • Reply 82 of 112
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

they should get real excited about all the new sales of winblows...

Yeah, exactly.
  • Reply 83 of 112
    rosserrosser Posts: 10member
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. I swithed a year ago with a mac mini and loved it. Last week I talked my girlfriend into buying a 17inch imac core duo and I must say its amazing.

I do however miss certain apps from XP so I have managed to follow Narf's instuctions to dual boot.

Its the fastest that I have seen XP go !

I do know that I will be using Tiger 95% of the time but its nice to have the choice.

I thought that i'd let you guys know that it does work well.

Thanks
  • Reply 84 of 112
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    For those adventurous souls that want to dual boot Windows I happened across this website over at Arestechnica.

Good luck.
  • Reply 85 of 112
    migmig Posts: 2member
    I wonder how Microsoft is feeling about all this. I mean, knowing VPC runs on the PowerPC processors, they're obviously okay with their OS running on a mac (hey, they're gonna cling to whatever revenue they can get) but with all the modifications you have to do to XP to get it to run on an Intel mac... could lead to a bit of conflict...
  • Reply 86 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiG

I wonder how Microsoft is feeling about all this. I mean, knowing VPC runs on the PowerPC processors, they're obviously okay with their OS running on a mac (hey, they're gonna cling to whatever revenue they can get) but with all the modifications you have to do to XP to get it to run on an Intel mac... could lead to a bit of conflict...

That's true, it could. But, it depends on what they're doing. They seem to be modifying the boot loader, not the OS itself. If that's so, then it might not be a problem for MS.

In fact, if that's all it really requires, it's possible that MS might decide to offer that themselves. If so, it wouldn't require that another PC be involved. Even if they don't, others might come up with a way around that, that doesn't actually involve modifying any of MS's code?now that they know how it can be done.

Also, for those about to try this, the lack of a video driver for the 1600 is only a problem if you are going to play 3D games, or do work that involves 3D transformations.

For 2D work, it seems to be just fine. The performance doesn't "jump out" at you, but it's quite usable. A friend did this, and it's surprising at just how fast even the video is after using VPC. No comparison at all!

Audio works through the headphone out, so all is not lost there either.

I suspect that by the time the developers convention rolls around, most, if not all of these problems will have been solved.
  • Reply 87 of 112
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Anybody know if Service Pack 4 (SP4) can be used instead of (SP2) ??? I'm gonna try and make a slipstream CD. Problem is, I got no Macintel to test it on
  • Reply 88 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Anybody know if Service Pack 4 (SP4) can be used instead of (SP2) ??? I'm gonna try and make a slipstream CD. Problem is, I got no Macintel to test it on

You seem to putting the cart before the horse.
  • Reply 89 of 112
    Yeah. Considering aborting the project at this stage
  • Reply 90 of 112
    The idea was make the slipstreamCD, then try and activate some local apple dealers/ enthusiast contacts to try and do the install.
  • Reply 91 of 112
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would expect a Mac App will eventually be released that will handle the entire process, including slipstreaming an XP CD and partitioning your HD. Its not here yet, but a shareware developer could get pretty far with this or at least parts of the process.

I think that if Windows users actually start using a setup like this, they will less and less frequently boot in to Windows and will become full Mac converts if they can.
  • Reply 92 of 112
    Well there?s really some tremendous potential here, isn?t there. The only danger is some legal smackdown, however senseless, from the big boys (well, Microsoft, because Apple has publicly said it doesn?t care).
  • Reply 93 of 112
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I would expect a Mac App will eventually be released that will handle the entire process, including slipstreaming an XP CD and partitioning your HD. Its not here yet, but a shareware developer could get pretty far with this or at least parts of the process.

Rightly so. A simple GUI that guides you through the whole process step by step. All you'll need is XP install disks and maybe an external HD to keep the systems separate. It would be nice to be able to run Office XP now and again.
  • Reply 94 of 112
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Well there?s really some tremendous potential here, isn?t there.

Without a doubt.
  • Reply 95 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

There is no XP service pack 4 that I've heard.
  • Reply 96 of 112
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

There is no XP service pack 4 that I've heard.

He must be talking about Win2k. XP is on SP2.
  • Reply 97 of 112
    I'm pretty sure that by the time the new PowerMac equivalent comes out later this year, and possibly a fair amount sooner (perhaps in time for the dev conf), most of these problems will be solved. There is already a section on Sourceforge that is being setup that will be devoted to this issue.

You just know that there are a lot of open source programmers on both the Mac AND PC side that will be working on this.

This might be the first time that both Mac and PC people have the same goal!
  • Reply 98 of 112
    Originally posted by groverat

*slaps head* duh. okay, you are right there..... my neighbour still has my Win XP cd!! arghhgh ... but i don't have a macintel anyway so, ah well....
  • Reply 99 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

*slaps head* duh. okay, you are right there..... my neighbour still has my Win XP cd!! arghhgh ... but i don't have a macintel anyway so, ah well....

You better get yourself back in the jungle. you were doing better there!
  • Reply 100 of 112
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You just know that there are a lot of open source programmers on both the Mac AND PC side that will be working on this.

Oh, open source? They suck.