Apple releases Final Cut and Pro apps for Intel Macs

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 79
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JohnnySmith

    Because Video Editors NEVER use Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects.



    I don't care if Apple has to buy Adobe to do it, but they need to figure out some way to have those three programs out for intel macs before 2007. Otherwise Apple is going to be shooting themselves in the foot.




    Apple has no control over Adobe's development cycle, aside from buying them there's not much they can do.



    So really Adobe is shooting Apple in the foot.



    At least they're using smaller caliber bullets than IBM and Moto were when they went Apple foot hunting. At least now Apple can sell a bunch of boxes to consumers and people who don't use third party apps much in the meantime.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    I was trying to develope a good reply and you beat me to it...agreed



    Refresh my memory, how exactly do you run a 30 inch display, a video monitor/output/input IO (like an AJA card), 4 GB ram, and fiber channel into an iMac again?




    Fourthed.



    Anyway, if FC Studio has now gone "gold" and is shipping, then that must mean they've finalized 10.4.6, which means it should be out today or tomorrow?? *crosses fingers* That's what we'll need for Aperture 1.1, presumably.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bikertwin

    Fourthed.



    Anyway, if FC Studio has now gone "gold" and is shipping, then that must mean they've finalized 10.4.6, which means it should be out today or tomorrow?? *crosses fingers* That's what we'll need for Aperture 1.1, presumably.




    Aperature isn't part of this suite. Do the FCS apps need 10.4.6?
  • Reply 24 of 79
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JohnnySmith

    Because Video Editors NEVER use Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects.



    I don't care if Apple has to buy Adobe to do it, but they need to figure out some way to have those three programs out for intel macs before 2007. Otherwise Apple is going to be shooting themselves in the foot.



    If they expect Motion to fill in the gaps they are out of their mind.




    I'd imagine running those on a PowerMac more than fills the gap just now being as it's much much faster than anything from Intel just now.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm debating whether I should spend the $699 to upgrade from my old (OS 9-only) version of FCP 2.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I think people here need to realize that you don't need a $6,000 system to be a video editor. A 20" Dual Core iMac would do very, very well as an editing system, especially for someone who's upgrading from an old Powermac G4. The need for PCI cards has lessoned greatly over the past few years, especially with break-out boxes like the AJA Io. Hell, the iMac can even run dual monitors now. Granted, if you've got the budget for a $3,300 Quad Powermac G5 and a $2,500 30" Cinema Display by all means go for it, but that's' overkill for a lot of today's small-shop editors.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Cory Bauer

    I think people here need to realize that you don't need a $6,000 system to be a video editor. A 20" Dual Core iMac would do very, very well as an editing system, especially for someone who's upgrading from an old Powermac G4. The need for PCI cards has lessoned greatly over the past few years, especially with break-out boxes like the AJA Io. Hell, the iMac can even run dual monitors now. Granted, if you've got the budget for a $3,300 Quad Powermac G5 and a $2,500 30" Cinema Display by all means go for it, but that's' overkill for a lot of today's small-shop editors.



    Hell, it probably runs fine on a duo mini. I'll probably get around to upgrading and trying it out one of these days.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by minderbinder

    Aperature isn't part of this suite. Do the FCS apps need 10.4.6?



    Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was.



    But the fact that both FC Suite and Aperture were both due at the end of the month--presumably the same timeframe as 10.4.6--suggests that they all need 10.4.6.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    I don't care if Apple has to buy Adobe to do it, but they need to figure out some way to have those three programs out for intel macs before 2007. Otherwise Apple is going to be shooting themselves in the foot.



    This isn't necessarily true.



    I gave a pretty long diatribe in the thread about Universal CS3.



    But basically most professional video/film post houses will be in no big rush to run out and buy new hardware and software.



    When you run a business you don't buy new equipment just because it exists. You want to get the most out of your investment in your current hardware and software. You buy new equipment when its proven the new workflow will be more productive and worth the investment.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Wow, an Apple company software update thread turns into an argument about Adobe. Where did that come from again?



    I know After Effects can be CPU intensive, but what proportion of Photoshop and Illustrator users use them to the extent such that they really stress the system, especially to the point that they are desperate for a faster one?
  • Reply 31 of 79
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Now I just have to pick up a MacIntel.



    It'll be interesting to see comparisons since we can run the Pro apps on both PowerPC and Intel. Think a Core Duo MacBook Pro will hold up against a dual processor / dual core G5 PowerMac?
  • Reply 32 of 79
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JeffDM

    Wow, an Apple company software release turns into an argument about Adobe. Where did that come from again? I know After Effects can be CPU intensive, but what proportion of Photoshop and Illustrator users use them to the extent such that they really stress the system?



    Every little helps and if I'm not having to sit there twiddling my thumbs watching the progress bar in Photoshop as it reprocesses a RAW 80MB image then it's good for me.



    In design work though, you still also need fast workflows.



    I know when we went from producing PDF's of 100 page mags with a G4-450 PowerMac to an iMac 1.25Ghz G4 we gained a day in post processing taking the Quark files, flight checking, RIP, distilling them and producing output. It's less of an issue today because frankly anything past about 2Ghz G5 is as fast as you need for most print/photo work. Still, if I could do 6 hours work in 30 minutes when needed it'd mean I've 5.5 more hours before deadline. ;-)



    It'd be nice to take a mag PDF of about 600MB and create a web version in a few minutes instead of hours too.



    And that's why we need Intel native CS3. Of course, it's not really needed until there's Intel computers faster than the PowerMacs so it's a strictly academic argument for serious deadline work. Where it would be useful now is in normal everyday design where an iMac is just perfect for most work, web design in particular.



    I'd add that many Photoshop users rely on quite a few plugins too so until AlienSkin et al are on board too, it's still worth a wait.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What really irks me at the moment is the lack of updated system requirements on the Final Cut Studio website. C'mon Apple...what gives?
  • Reply 34 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    As far as Aperture goes, this is an important app for Apple and I think they want to make it right.



    There was quite a bit of complaining about various shortcomings in the original version, I would assume if Aperture takes a bit longer to go UB is might have to do with actually improving things under the hood and adding features. Hoping, anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    From the Apple web page at http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/



    "The Universal version of Final Cut Studio requires Mac OS X Tiger version 10.4.4 or later."



    Quote:

    Originally posted by bikertwin

    Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was.



    But the fact that both FC Suite and Aperture were both due at the end of the month--presumably the same timeframe as 10.4.6--suggests that they all need 10.4.6.




  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:

    Originally posted by godrifle

    From the Apple web page at http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/



    "The Universal version of Final Cut Studio requires Mac OS X Tiger version 10.4.4 or later."




    Ow. That hurt.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Well, Apple's site is none-too-clear about this upgrade.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by bikertwin

    Ow. That hurt.



  • Reply 38 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,574member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by minderbinder

    But if they're shipping the universal version, shouldn't their main site reflect that in their system requirements? And shouldn't they update "Available in March 2006"? And shouldn't their universal upgrade page (which the store sends you to if you have individual apps) say "shipping now"?



    It's nice that the store has been updated. But I would think they'd want to update the outdated info on their main page as well, wouldn't you?




    It's not whether they should. They probably should. It's just that it's extremely rare that they do.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,574member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Xool

    Now I just have to pick up a MacIntel.



    It'll be interesting to see comparisons since we can run the Pro apps on both PowerPC and Intel. Think a Core Duo MacBook Pro will hold up against a dual processor / dual core G5 PowerMac?




    It sure does when you're in the field!
  • Reply 40 of 79
    So does this mean no FCP6 at NAB 2006?
Sign In or Register to comment.