Apple releases Final Cut and Pro apps for Intel Macs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Firewire 400 is fine or DV and HDV.

SDI cards, Fiber Channel, and RAID storage are only needed for heavy duty work such as multi-stream uncompressed SD and mildly to uncompressed HD.

Dual Core and Quad PowerMac's will carry the pro market fine for the next year or so.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Unfiltered

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=212

Yeah, it's kinda' weird. The list looks the same as the topics covered in initial release of Soundtrack Pro. They have any topics like "What's New in Version 2" and the like. I think they're just anticipating Apple bumping it up next month.

Then again, Larry Jordan is an Apple Certified Instructor and has worked closely with Apple development in the past, so who knows.

heh , Lynda.com changed the title to Soundtrack Pro essentials. So was "2" really a typo or apple contacted them.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

No. It's not completely clear.

Right now, the latest version is 5.1. Even though the site says "upgrade to the latest version", that doesn't mean that it will mean 6, when it comes out. At least not for the same amounts.

Under Terms and Conditions, it is stated, in bold type:

Apple reserves the right to change the terms of this offer at any time without notice.

right. that's what i was thinking. but it would be very odd of them to keep old versions of their software just for this purpose. i'm sure they don't want inventory of outdated final cut studios hanging around. but the upgrade offer lasts until the end of the year. i'll wait it out i suppose.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Just got my Final Cut Suite upgrade today. Yippee! Looks like it's gonna take a fortnight to install. :-)

Quote:

Of course, even if you pay $99, or $199 for the Univ version of 5 now, you would still have to pay for the full upgrade to 6 when it comes out. So, if you wait, it might be a wash.

Yeah, I totally agree. Apple's not gonna give FCS 6 to people who are using the special FCS 5 UB upgrade. It'll be a separate upgrade (think $$$).

Quote:

Hmurchison, there hasn't been talk of FCP 6 for NAB, though it MIGHT happen. I hope it does.

Have you heard something?

Well there's this from that "other" site:

http://thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

right. that's what i was thinking. but it would be very odd of them to keep old versions of their software just for this purpose. i'm sure they don't want inventory of outdated final cut studios hanging around. but the upgrade offer lasts until the end of the year. i'll wait it out i suppose.

The discs (I got them in the mail today) don't say "upgrade", they say "crossgrade".

You're not paying for an upgrade to FCS 5. You're paying for a crossgrade to a Universal Binary.

If you want FCS 6 when it comes out, I guarantee that'll be a separate "upgrade" from FCS 5.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Just got my Final Cut Suite upgrade today. Yippee! Looks like it's gonna take a fortnight to install. :-)

Yeah, I totally agree. Apple's not gonna give FCS 6 to people who are using the special FCS 5 UB upgrade. It'll be a separate upgrade (think $$$).

Well there's this from that "other" site:

http://thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html

What that says is that Apple will demo it at the end of April. That's when the NAB show opens. I can see an early technology demo then. That doesn't say much about its readiness. We'll have to wait for the show. I doubt it's been demoed before.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:

What that says is that Apple will demo it at the end of April. That's when the NAB show opens. I can see an early technology demo then. That doesn't say much about its readiness. We'll have to wait for the show. I doubt it's been demoed before.

Yeah, they couch it in all sorts of interesting verbs:

demonstrate

unveil

announce

They don't actually say "release". \

Towards the end, they talk about some features in FCP 6 "nearing completion", but whether that means the whole thing is nearing completion is unclear.

And it's just a rumor. An old one at that.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Firewire 400 is fine or DV and HDV.

While Firewire 400 works well for basic DV work, but the more bandwidth you have, the more video layers you can work with simultaneously.

For home & small business, I am leaning more towards eSATA for more storage.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    So it seems everyone is getting their new Studio. I sent 5 FC discs in in Feburary. How is being shipped? (UPS, Fedex, USPS) I also see you must have Tiger to run the aps. Any heads up notice before I upgrade six machines?
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by DJ Rodman

So it seems everyone is getting their new Studio. I sent 5 FC discs in in Feburary. How is being shipped? (UPS, Fedex, USPS) I also see you must have Tiger to run the aps. Any heads up notice before I upgrade six machines?

Mine came with TNT, I had to call in three times though to get things going. They'd only received the disc but not the form I've sent in, I was told (it was all in the same envelope). Anyways, it's 7 discs + 2 Trainings, no box, no manuals, very much unlike Apple. Yeah I know, it's great stuff, great price, but it's a bit poor when you get great things this way, my2c's.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris_here

Mine came with TNT, I had to call in three times though to get things going. They'd only received the disc but not the form I've sent in I was told. Anyways, it's 7 discs + 2 Trainings, no box, no manuals, very much unlike Apple. Yeah I know, it's great stuff, great price, but it's a bit poor when you get great things this way, my2's

What about serial #? Where is that put?

I'm gonna send in my STP and so when getting the other stuff I'd need serials.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

What about serial #? Where is that put?

I'm gonna send in my STP and so when getting the other stuff I'd need serials.

It's on the frontpage of the software install guide, as usual. Oh: they didn't forget to include the software license agreement!
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:

A point of interest on performance (if true, though it should be)

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9084/

Here's another set of data points:

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=38816

It's too bad that it is at a site so messy with ads that it outdoes the PC hardware sites at their own game.

On the few compute-intensive tasks, a top-end MacBook Pro (2.16) is generally competitive with or faster than a dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Here's another set of data points:

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=38816

It's too bad that it is at a site so messy with ads that it outdoes the PC hardware sites at their own game.

On the few compute-intensive tasks, a top-end MacBook Pro (2.16) is generally competitive with or faster than a dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5.

Interesting. The Yonah is looking pretty good. The 2.33GHz version, when it comes out before too long, will make the comparison seem even worse. The only problem tests require heavy use of Altivec, and while SSE 2 and 3 are pretty good, they still lack in some areas. They are missing a few commands that would have moved that along quicker. But, after having said that, SSE 4 which will be out on Merom, and the rest of the newer Core chips, uses 128 bit paths, as Altivec does. The current versions have to move it through 64 bit paths because the cpu itself doesn't have a 128 bit memory path, while the newer chips do. Thats supposed to make a very noticeable difference.

It will be interesting, therefore, to see this test again with a 2.65GHz Merom version of that in a MBP.

But, I didn't notice no stinking ads.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Woo! The intel macs are faster than 2003's G5 PowerMac.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Woo! The intel macs are faster than 2003's G5 PowerMac.

I know what you like to sneer at the concept, but what this means is that a portable Mac is actually reasonably powerful now, unlike the previous product. The fact that it is a convenient 6lb mobile product versus a stationary 60lb product makes it more impressive. Given that I know people are still using older Powerbooks and Power Mac G4s for very creative video work, the new iMac and MBP would be a terrific step up for them.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I know what you like to sneer at the concept, but what this means is that a portable Mac is actually reasonably powerful now, unlike the previous product.

Although they didn't actually compare it against the previous laptop so I don't see the point of the review.

If it was about portability then comparing it against the previous G4 would have been useful even if comparing it to a desktop is a useful reference point. Speed is secondary since you're lumbered with a laptop unless you've got a porter to carry around a PowerMac.

If it was about speed, then the desktops (except for the now low end PowerMac) are still quicker and offer greater storage potential.

It just highlights that the speed just simply isn't there yet for desktops from Intel if that's what you care about. We'll get there but we're not there yet. I'm really looking forward to the PowerMac replacement though if the reports of Yonah running overclocked up to 3.4Ghz are true. If Intel are right in Core being about 25% more efficient than Yonah per clock the PowerMac will be interesting even without Adobe native.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Although they didn't actually compare it against the previous laptop so I don't see the point of the review.

If it was about portability then comparing it against the previous G4 would have been useful even if comparing it to a desktop is a useful reference point. Speed is secondary since you're lumbered with a laptop unless you've got a porter to carry around a PowerMac.

If it was about speed, then the desktops (except for the now low end PowerMac) are still quicker and offer greater storage potential.

It just highlights that the speed just simply isn't there yet for desktops from Intel if that's what you care about. We'll get there but we're not there yet. I'm really looking forward to the PowerMac replacement though if the reports of Yonah running overclocked up to 3.4Ghz are true. If Intel are right in Core being about 25% more efficient than Yonah per clock the PowerMac will be interesting even without Adobe native.

Unfortunately, Apple won't overclock. Not only that, but unlike many PC manufacturers, they deliberately remove any ability to overclock.

In one sense, that's good, as it prevents the Windows type of blue screens that so many get from overclocking,. But, it also prevents Apple's machines from achieving the kind of performance that faster memory timings and chip overclocking could achieve.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:

Unfortunately, Apple won't overclock. Not only that, but unlike many PC manufacturers, they deliberately remove any ability to overclock.

In one sense, that's good, as it prevents the Windows type of blue screens that so many get from overclocking,. But, it also prevents Apple's machines from achieving the kind of performance that faster memory timings and chip overclocking could achieve.

Totally agree. However, it's been a long time since you could overclock an Intel chip from 1.83Ghz to 3.4Ghz - almost double - which shows there's some growing room in their 65nm process for applications where you're not so bothered about heat, portability or battery life. When Intel get around to some desktop parts instead of mobile parts they could be pretty decent.