Apple's "Boot Camp" beta runs Windows XP on Macs

Comments

• Reply 321 of 510
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Oh yes, they can do damage if you catch them while you run Windows. From Apple's own page:

Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it?ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

I read that. They aren't saying that your Mac partition will get a Windows virus. They are saying that your Windows partition will get a Windows virus.

It has nothing to do with the fact that they are on the same machine. A Windows virus simply doesn't attack OS X. And. if it should ever come to it, the same thing is true for an OS X virus.

I got virus's through Windows when running VPC, but they never caused a problem for OS X. That hasn't changed. It's been debunked that because Mac's are now on x86 that they are more susceptible to Windows virus's.
  • Reply 322 of 510
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Deep down personally, I think OSX is strong enough to prosper. But please, please, please Apple, give us something really shit-hot for 10.5 that makes Vista look like Windows 3.0 by comparison.

shit-hot? so...lukewarm and smelly? I'll settle for a new finder.
  • Reply 323 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

shit-hot? so...lukewarm and smelly? I'll settle for a new finder.

A new finder! Ha ha ha!

we've been expecting a new, or at least a fixed finder for years.

While it's always possible, like the holy grail, the rez independent finder. You should spend your efforts hoping for something that is much more likely to arrive like, well, anything else!
  • Reply 324 of 510
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    One of the biggest Diggs since Digg was formed in 2004! This is a big deal. Even people who know little about computers were talking to me about it today!

• Reply 325 of 510
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

He has a Mac already. Before Bootcamp/Parallels he'd have bought say VectorWorks to do CAD and produce AutoCAD format files. VectorWorks is a great application and arguably better than AutoCAD. However, it's file output isn't perfectly compatible. Now he buys AutoCAD as it's 100% compatible with AutoCAD. Mac developers 0, Windows 1.

He has a Mac already. Boot camp was just announced yesterday and before that no one knew it was going to exist. If VectorWorks was fine enough why doesn't he own it already? That leads me to believe he really wanted AutoCAD.

Also as far as I can think this is one rare occasion where major software dominates its industry is Windows only.

I can't think of much other major software in that same position.
  • Reply 326 of 510
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    To look at it another way.

What if Macs market share grows to the place where AutoDesk sees it has an important platform to develop for. Would that improve or erode sales of other Mac CAD developers?
  • Reply 327 of 510
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by aegisdesign

So, there's ten ways in which VirtualPC is more useful than BootCamp which IMHO make it ten times more useful. Some of us don't really care about it's speed. All it has to do is run the app. What we do care about is having all our Mac software at hand instead of a reboot away. And that's the real truth.

Someone really needs to try the beta of Parallels VPC and see how performance and features stack up:

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

• Reply 328 of 510
    Originally posted by Placebo

Check out this video of a guy running Battlefield 2 with nice framerates on his 1.8GHz dual-core iMac!

http://web.mac.com/richardpride/iWeb/Site/Movie.html

GPU, Games and Directx(hopefully 9.0c) compatibility is really awesome. I bet tons of iMac users that want to play PC games like Quake4, Battlefield 2, HL2, F.E.A.R or RTS or whatever are jumping for joy. The x1600 is no slouch, it supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0C and OpenGL 2.0. 3800 3dmark05s is not bad, it means it'll play most modern games on "medium" settings* at decent frame rates.

We've seen Battlefield2 is compatible and plays decently. Hopefully a lot other PC games will show up as compatible as well.

*say 2x AA, 8x AF, medium textures and shaders, etc.
  • Reply 329 of 510
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by Placebo

Check out this video of a guy running Battlefield 2 with nice framerates on his 1.8GHz dual-core iMac!

http://web.mac.com/richardpride/iWeb/Site/Movie.html

GPU, Games and Directx(hopefully 9.0c) compatibility is really awesome. I bet tons of iMac users that want to play PC games like Quake4, Battlefield 2, HL2, F.E.A.R or RTS or whatever are jumping for joy. The x1600 is no slouch, it supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0C and OpenGL 2.0. 3800 3dmark05s is not bad, it means it'll play most modern games on "medium" settings* at decent frame rates.

We've seen Battlefield2 is compatible and plays decently. Hopefully a lot other PC games will show up as compatible as well.

*say 2x AA, 8x AF, medium textures and shaders, etc.

I saw an even better video demonstrating HL2. I'd say that the Mac game companies do not have long for this world, and good riddance.
  • Reply 330 of 510
    For me HL2 was one of the best FPS I have ever played, with an absolutely chilling storyline. The static-y Combine voices will resonate in my head for quite some time. And the laser-guided rocket launcher battles with the gunships, phew. And the last bit *spoiler warning* with using the gravity gun to chuck energy balls at Combine forces.... absolutely awesome.

F.E.A.R. IMHO not as good as HL2 but freaky and fun bullet-timing pumping rounds of ammo into Replicants up close.

Mac users deserve now to experience these sort of games. Well, the violence is a bit over-the-top sometimes, but, whatever

HL2:Lost Coast looks fracking superb too. HDR is fun
  • Reply 331 of 510
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I have mixed feelings on this.

In effect Steve went "all in" with this move.

In the short term it will make the stock go nuts and make Apple sell 'puters.

The long term is the unknown. The Commodore Amiga went this route by being able to run multiple OS's. In the end, it died a horrid death as developers didn't bother to make Amiga software or made piss poor Amiga versions... As customers could boot in other OS's, why bother making an Amiga version?

The long-term future? Here's hoping that Steve made the right call...

For those of you old enough to remember when the Commodore 64 brought the clueless masses online and trashed the party... I'm praying we don't see a repeat performance.

Corey
  • Reply 332 of 510
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

if im not mistaken, XP and OSX use different file systems?

is the XP partition accesable from within OSX and vice versa?

What im hoping is to use the windows partition for photoshop only until CS3 comes out, but i need to have access to my picture from within both operating systems.

Sorry if this question has already been asked/answered...

Short answer: You can read and write to mac os x from windows but you can't read and write to the windows partition from mac os x. you can only read.

Basically NTFS is a closed standard, but there is open source code for it. To be able to read the HFS+ format from windows you will need Macdrive. I actually stuck an HFS+ formatted harddrive in my PC because it had all my mp3's on it and Macdrive let me modify it normally.

There have been posts confirming this already.
  • Reply 333 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I saw an even better video demonstrating HL2. I'd say that the Mac game companies do not have long for this world, and good riddance.

Wow... really? Kind of snide eh? I think that is sad. Mac gaming companies have brought us years of entertainment and that is how you treat them? Pardon my french but that's f*cked up. These developers have taken low wages and countless hours of work in order to bring a small piece of entertainment to the mac. If this is how loyal of a mac user you are... I say go buy a pc and be gone.
  • Reply 334 of 510
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Wow... really? Kind of snide eh? I think that is sad. Mac gaming companies have brought us years of entertainment and that is how you treat them? Pardon my french but that's f*cked up. These developers have taken low wages and countless hours of work in order to bring a small piece of entertainment to the mac. If this is how loyal of a mac user you are... I say go buy a pc and be gone.

+++
  • Reply 335 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

To look at it another way.

What if Macs market share grows to the place where AutoDesk sees it has an important platform to develop for. Would that improve or erode sales of other Mac CAD developers?

Right now, except for Versa CAD, there is no competitor to Auto CAD, in its space. While it's nice to think that several other programs compete, they don't any more than other programs compete with Photoshop in its space.
  • Reply 336 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

The long term is the unknown. The Commodore Amiga went this route by being able to run multiple OS's. In the end, it died a horrid death as developers didn't bother to make Amiga software or made piss poor Amiga versions... As customers could boot in other OS's, why bother making an Amiga version?

For those of you old enough to remember when the Commodore 64 brought the clueless masses online and trashed the party... I'm praying we don't see a repeat performance.

Corey

The Amiga died a horrible death because it was owned by a company that was useless. The Amiga didn't receive support from Commodore. It had nothing to do with multiple OS's.
  • Reply 337 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Corey

It doesn't matter if steve made the decision or not. It was going to..... / ALREADY did happen. And from this point it was only going to get easier and easier to dual boot. Steve made the decision a long time ago when he decided apple was moving to x86.
  • Reply 338 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The Amiga died a horrible death because it was owned by a company that was useless. The Amiga didn't receive support from Commodore. It had nothing to do with multiple OS's.

What about OS/2?

I'm honestly asking, because I heard that Windows support was how we never heard of that OS again.

I'm betting, though, that OS X's advantage over these two is that it is just SO much nicer to use. To an incredible degree. Efficiency, beauty...you guys know the drill.

On another bright note, I'm seeling my PC.
  • Reply 339 of 510
    Quote:

Originally posted by Haberdasher

What about OS/2?

I'm honestly asking, because I heard that Windows support was how we never heard of that OS again.

I'm betting, though, that OS X's advantage over these two is that it is just SO much nicer to use. To an incredible degree. Efficiency, beauty...you guys know the drill.

On another bright note, I'm seeling my PC.

OS/2 was a different story.

Back when IBM still had over 27% marketshare, and they were working with Apple on an OS called "Pink", they were also selling OS/2.

At the time, OS/2 was the most advanced OS out there for PC's.

So, when the software division proposed that IBM, which was selling their machines with Windows installed, sell their machines instead, with OS/2 installed, and make Windows optional, instead of the other way around, the hardware division screamed bloody murder! They were sure that doing that would cut into hardware sales. They refused. There wasn't much direction at the top in IBM at the time to force the change.

The thing was that there was a good community of OS/2 developers growing, at the time, and it was considered to be a good move by analysts in the industry.

But, the failure of IBM to do that, and subsequently, to essentially stop pushing for it on the desktop, led to its slow death.

Banks, and other large financial institutions relied on OS/2 for years after the general marketplace abandoned it.

Everything that Windows 2000 was, was already in OS/2 when MS was still struggling with 95. Except that OS/2 didn't crash nearly as often, and was far more secure from the get go, as it was designed for that purpose.
  • Reply 340 of 510
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Let's just say we have a difference of opinion.

I suppose something is better than nothing. But let's face it. How many original games have these companies come out with? We have seen one not so good port after another, crumbs from the rich man's table. Where are the great Mac only FPS? Where is pool? Where are the really great board games? I know, there are a few, but very few. Very few games appear on Mac shelves and most of those require classic if they work at all with OS X. I am tired of searching for shareware or free-ware for a decent game of dominos. I am not a high-end gamer but even I am not satisfied with the options available. How long will you be happy with the fact that gaming and Mac is an oxymoron? This is not cool and not necessary. Don't ask me to shed crocodile tears over the fate of companies who allowed us to remain the laughing stock of that particular industry for so long. They could have made great games for what the Mac could do. They just didn't. Now that Windows can run natively on Macs, and soon, with virtualization, (if not already, think Parallels), I will probably never buy another Mac game again. Thanks for the bad port one year later. But how about making a game so creative that PC users would want to port to Windows?