Apple to ditch iBook brand alongside notebook launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

hopefully they make one with an x1600 for 1500!!

That would defeat the point of a consumer laptop and enters the pro range.

Quote:

i hate losing an inch! sony has a 14 inch widescreen with a camera!!! dammit apple do the right thing.

Some people complain Apple should make one even smaller. 13.3 actually fills a good point. Its small, but not so small that normal laptop features have to be compromised.

Quote:

i think we will see all duo, the core solo was a bit of a waste of time, no one really wants it.

There's a give and take to everything. Solo Core would generate less heat and require less power for a longer battery life. Plus $999 price point would have to be solo core.

Quote:

Does anyone know if intels virtualizattion technology require dual core chips? More specifically, would Parallels software work on a core solo macbook?

It does and it wouldn´t.

Yet another reason to skip core solo.

I wouldn't wager that virtualization is high on Apples priority list. Especially for its consumer laptop.
  • Reply 22 of 170
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My prediction:

All core duo, varying speeds.

all 512 MB ram

all integrated graphics (to seperate the Pro line)

all iSight

all 13.3 inch display

all mini DVI, mirror only

Low end $899-1099

60 GB hdd

combo drive

High end. (low end+200)

80GB hdd

superdrive

frontrow remote
  • Reply 23 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by ATPTourFan

Ha... well I've been registered and posting at MacNN forums forever...

I had to set the man straight before he gets people worried that they can't virutalize with parralels' SW on a Solo.

Before the smackdown is layeth on Anders:

Ahh ... but have you tried in on a Core Solo Mini? There's a checkbox in the Parallels' software for enabling Intel VT support. I'd like to know if that check box works on a Core Solo.
  • Reply 24 of 170
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

It does and it wouldn´t.

Funny, I was running Parallels on my Mac mini Core Solo just last night. I must have been imagining things I guess!
  • Reply 25 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Before the smackdown is layeth on Anders:

Ahh ... but have you tried in on a Core Solo Mini? There's a checkbox in the Parallels' software for enabling Intel VT support. I'd like to know if that check box works on a Core Solo.

It doesn't. Parallels reports that your chip has Intel VT-x support but its disabled in the BIOS.

Whether this is due to Apple disabling it or VT-x being fundamentally broken on a Core Solo is up for debate.
  • Reply 26 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

My prediction:

All core duo, varying speeds.

all 512 MB ram

all integrated graphics (to seperate the Pro line)

all iSight

all 13.3 inch display

Low end $899-1099

60 GB hdd

combo drive

High end. (low end+200)

80GB hdd

superdrive

frontrow remote

frontrow will be in all the new macs that are released.
  • Reply 27 of 170
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Only his second post, and he's pulling out the "ummm" card on Anders!

Now it's on!

Nah thats okay. I was under the impression Parallels used Intels hardware virtualization and it only was implemented in Core Duo chips. Sorry if I gave wrong information.
  • Reply 28 of 170
    Quote:

This is logical in that is the current iBook set up.

But I've seen no evidence that Intel GMA offers mini DVI.

Wouldn't it cost more for Intel to manufacture separate chip sets for Apple to offer mini DVI?

edit: in a google search anything about mini DV was mostly about 12" PowerBooks and iBooks. Looks as if no one in the rest of the industry deals with it.
  • Reply 29 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

That would defeat the point of a consumer laptop and enters the pro range.

Thank you for telling me as a consumer myself what I need. Last time I checked you don't see many people gaming while at work. I don't know many programmers that get paid to play css

or graphic designers that make their big bucks playing oblivion.

x1600 is a midrange graphics card. It is not their high end card by any means.

I don't know why there needs to be such titles as professional and consumer. I think that is a snoody way to say metal case or plastic case. Let me ask you this, who has the most powerful computer you know? Is it a programmer, graphic designer or film editor? More than likely its a geeky teenager who plays wow or cs:s.

If I wanted a high-end card, i'd expect a mobile 7800 or a mobile x1800. I want a dual-core machine that can play games and fill the spot the 12" mbp would have.
  • Reply 30 of 170
    Quote:

Wouldn't it cost more for Intel to manufacture separate chip sets for Apple to offer mini DVI?

edit: in a google search anything about mini DV was mostly about 12" PowerBooks and iBooks. Looks as if no one in the rest of the industry deals with it.

This seems really unlikely since they appear to be differentiating the two mbp and mb using specs instead of features. It'll be DVI-out with spanning support.
  • Reply 31 of 170
    Quote:

Is there any difference between DVI and mini-DVI apart from the size of the plug/socket?

The GMA 950 supports DVI (as seen on the Mac Mini) as would any modern GFX chip, so I would expect it to support mini-DVI as well.
  • Reply 32 of 170
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

They want "mac" in the names of all of their computers. They didn't change the name of the iMac because "Mac" was already in the name so there wasn't really any reason to. Besides, what would they change it to? MacMac?

hahaha @ MacMac
  • Reply 33 of 170
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tensdanny38

If I wanted a high-end card, i'd expect a mobile 7800 or a mobile x1800. I want a dual-core machine that can play games and fill the spot the 12" mbp would have.

You won't be getting that with a MacBook. Buy a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 34 of 170
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    are they going to have an event for this
  • Reply 35 of 170
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    I don't believe the iBook replacement will have an iSight camera - the main reason being the ibook has always been aimed at a laptop for education and with the current (in my opinion petty) views on cameras in schools, i doubt they would be available with built in cameras.
  • Reply 36 of 170
    Quote:

I don't know why there needs to be such titles as professional and consumer. I think that is a snoody way to say metal case or plastic case.

Every computer manufacturer separate product lines that suite different needs. Apple has it down to two basic product lines.

Quote:

Let me ask you this, who has the most powerful computer you know? Is it a programmer, graphic designer or film editor? More than likely its a geeky teenager who plays wow or cs:s.

I don't understand your point with this.

Quote:

The tag "high end card" is such a sliding scale its almost meaningless. By the end of the year the x1800 will be a midrange card.

Apple cannot fill the wants of every individual user. Apple looks over the needs of its the general user base and has to weigh different variables.

What consumers need/ what consumers will pay/ the cost of manufacture/ profit margins.

Quote:

Is there any difference between DVI and mini-DVI apart from the size of the plug/socket?

Intel is efficiently producing 99.8% of its GMA chip sets with a full DVI output. Apple orders .2% of its GMA chip sets for a mini DVI output breaks the efficiency of the line. That's going to cost more money to artificially create a difference between the MacBook and MB Pro.
  • Reply 37 of 170
    Quote:

I don't believe the iBook replacement will have an iSight camera

Yes it will.

Apple is selling MacBooks to more than just education. They should however offer computers without iSight to those who need them that way.
  • Reply 38 of 170
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Yes it will.

Apple is selling MacBooks to more than just education. They should however offer computers without iSight to those who need them that way.

The easy solution:

Stick one of those over it. Voila.

For a more sturdy solution:

And if you *REALLY* want it gone...

• Reply 39 of 170
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

My prediction:

I think the low end one may be Core solo, same as the Mini. Other than that, I'm with you on the rest of your prediction.
  • Reply 40 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

They want "mac" in the names of all of their computers. They didn't change the name of the iMac because "Mac" was already in the name so there wasn't really any reason to. Besides, what would they change it to? MacMac?

How long until they discover they now need to rename the iPod to... the MacPod!!!