Apple to ditch iBook brand alongside notebook launch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fezzasus

The reason I suggested that is because I can't think of much other reason to have a 20" laptop other than making presentations.

One thing you could do is at least give others the benefit of the doubt that there may be other uses.
  • Reply 102 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

EDIT: the spec sheet lists 1600.1200 as a supported resolution for data...now THAT is how to give a powerpoint!

For a digital display, supported resolution and native resolution are different things. The native resolution is what actually hits the wall or screen. Any other resolution is rescaled to the panel. I have an XGA projector that can accept a 1080i signal, but it has to drop maybe three fourths of the image detail to do display it.

Feeding it a signal that is higher than the native resolution almost never gains a better of a picture. Often, it degrades the picture quality due to scaling artifacts.

That does look like a pretty nice unit though.
  • Reply 103 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

UXGA is more like $30k+. 1080p starts at $10k.

Not quite. There are UXga projectirs for arounf $17,000. You can a 1080p unit these dayd for less than $7,00, and I've seen a couple for $5,000.

But, that's still a lot of money, and they're not portable, lugable, yes.
  • Reply 104 of 170
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    A 20"iMac is also luggable (very luggable, out of experience).

and a lot cheaper.

So stop suggesting a 20" MBP because it's a solution in search of a problem.
  • Reply 105 of 170
    Quote:

they are the "mobile" home of PCs, mobile in name only, for those who cant deside between the RV and a house -- or portable and desktop, the downside of both worlds, the upside of neither

I don't think the comparison translates well. Even if you just call it a desktop computer, I think a 20" powerbook (er, "MacBook Pro") would look better than any current desktop computer. Also, it would need fewer cables and other external devices and take much less space in or around the computer, with a built-in UPS to boot, which that is a bulky thing if you have one for a desktop.

That isn't to say I would buy one, I am not sure, but I still think it would be pretty cool.
  • Reply 106 of 170
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    I love the 17" PB, and am waiting for the 17" MBP, but I must say, a 19"/20" would work for me as a "home" computer (load it up with external HD's, another monitor, etc). Not a big iMac fan as far as looks, and a giant laptop would be much more fun, and if I did need to move it, it would be fairly easy. I would probably get one, but I'm probably not a good example -- I get Ferrari's, too (or did until I had a kid).

Also, almost every artist I know walks around with a giant portfolio (I mean, they can be four feet or more): large surface-area, but thin, and I know a lot of them around Hollywood who would love to have a similar thing digitally. If it stayed 1" or less, it would be the ultimate digital portfolio. Could show layouts, b.g.'s, storyboards, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 107 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I mean read into it, Apple wants to grow as a company but will limit themselves to only 2 lines with 2 configurations all the while forgetting their 12" powerbook user base? I don't see it happening, this redesign allows them to make the ibook not so toy-like as well as leaving room to almost merge the product lines.

I agree with this. Me and a friend switched less than a year ago, and despite the 12" iBook being the better deal and despite us being consumers, we went for the 12" PowerBook because it looked physically like a higher quality computer. I also wasn't a fan of the white (IMO, too much of it is offputting, while something like the iPods are fantastic). The keyboard didn't have as sturdy a feel, either.
  • Reply 108 of 170
    Quote:

It's funny to see people getting all angry and some going:

"Where's my goddamn 12" pb replacement!?"

Look at the names MacBook and MacBook Pro are that simliar for a reason, they're sister systems and will probably sport similar designs only being separated by specs and MacBook being plastic.

This I believe allow the 12" pb to move into MacBook territory without making the machine look extremely consumer.

Firstly, I agree with FireEmblemBlade, one of the reasons I got a PowerBook over the iBook, was the better quality feel. The other main difference was the Superdrive. I really didn't care for the extra 0.13Ghz, although it's another bonus that came with getting a PB. For me, it's not the specs you listed which would be a problem, it's the things you don't get with a consumer machine; I've said it before, but I really want a dual-link DVI small notebook, and I cannot see this being a feature of a MacBook, hell I could only just imagine a 13" MBP with that feature! When I'm in lectures, I want to sit there with a small notebook taking notes. Back home I want a large display. I only want one machine, mainly due to files being on one machine is a lot easier to handle.

I know my whole post is based on non-confirmed, non-existant speculation that a 13" MBP would have dual-link DVI. (I'd also like a backlit keyboard, and the ability to span monitors amongst others.)
  • Reply 109 of 170
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    The Superdrive should be standard on ALL Apple computers - it's nearly mid 2006 !!!!! $1000 for a computer with a combo drive is terrible.
  • Reply 110 of 170
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by macinmurphy

[B]Cute, but you may be missing the point since none of these suggested solutions are acceptable to DoD/DSS under Chapter 8 Industrial Security Guidelines.

I don't really see how this is an issue since the Department of Defense doesn't use Macs and the government as a whole is pretty windows based. Somehow I don't think that Apple is going not put a built in iSight into the MacBook just so that Admiral Nader can bring his personal Mac into the war room.
  • Reply 111 of 170
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

Here's a chart of my predictions: (Note: They may add a third MacBook model to bridge the gap of the high end MacBook and low end MacBook Pro).

MacBook

MacBook Pro

*The 20" model is purely speculative, of course.

I disagree with the optional graphics upgrade, this would require two motherboards to be made which would raise the cost of making them considerably.

If you want a graphics performance boost you will have to wait 6 months for the slight model boost (usally a slight processor speed increase, graphics card upgrade and hard disk size boost)

In addition the feature list for the iBook replacement is far too rich when compared to the MacBook Pro, either the iBook replacement will cost more or will have less features - $700 difference for a 0.16Ghz increase, screen size increase and slightly improved graphics is a joke.

The 20" model is a joke, and if it is made i'll pull steve job's ankles off
  • Reply 112 of 170
    the 17 inch or the 20 (personaly i think it will either be 19 or 21) will either come with or have the option to have a 2.33 ghz chip. With the 20 inch option they could even have support for dual graphics cards due to the extra space inside the machine, maybe dual harddrives. I know this would drain the battery heavily but while unpluged could have the option to switch to a single graphics card. this would be a desktop replacement luggable rather than a laptop. If i had the money i would buy one in an instant.
  • Reply 113 of 170
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

all 512 MB ram

all integrated graphics (to seperate the Pro line)

That's what the x13/1400 are for.

What I'd like to see:

Low end

1.5ghz core solo

64mb x1300

combo drive

$999

High end

1.67ghz core Duo

128mb x1400

Superdrive

$1299
  • Reply 114 of 170
    I'm still waiting for 1920x1200 displays in the 17" MBP.
  • Reply 115 of 170
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

Here's a chart of my predictions: (Note: They may add a third MacBook model to bridge the gap of the high end MacBook and low end MacBook Pro).

MacBook

MacBook Pro

*The 20" model is purely speculative, of course.

No way an x1800 is fitting in something that thin. A 1", the 1600 is the best you're going to do.
  • Reply 116 of 170
    Heat, heat, heat.
  • Reply 117 of 170
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

The Superdrive should be standard on ALL Apple computers - it's nearly mid 2006 !!!!! $1000 for a computer with a combo drive is terrible.

I 1 million percent agree. I didn't put in my configs because I was trying to be realistic and unfortunately apple won't smarten up.

Practically any run of the mill pc vendor puts a dvd buner in everything, it's not like it cost much more.

Hell the money apple would save in offering no combo drive(because not a lot of companies order or offer them anymore) would probably cover the cost of having super drive standard.

They're like BLUETOOTH AND AIRPORT STANDARD MOTHER F**KERS!!!!! YEAH!!!! .....dvd burner......(think european accent)....is extra.
  • Reply 118 of 170
    Quote:

Hell the money apple would save in offering no combo drive(because not a lot of companies order or offer them anymore) would probably cover the cost of having super drive standard.

I doubt anyone, even Apple, would pay more for a read-only drive than they would for a similar writer. Personally, I really don't care, I almost never write DVDs, my storage is all done over the LAN.
  • Reply 119 of 170
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

[B]
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinmurphy

Cute, but you may be missing the point since none of these suggested solutions are acceptable to DoD/DSS under Chapter 8 Industrial Security Guidelines.

I don't really see how this is an issue since the Department of Defense doesn't use Macs and the government as a whole is pretty windows based. Somehow I don't think that Apple is going not put a built in iSight into the MacBook just so that Admiral Nader can bring his personal Mac into the war room.

Maybe DOD doesnt, but DOE does. Machines that have cameras in them cannot go into some areas. Most areas they can go into, but the camera has to physically disconected. And there are macs, Dells, HPs.... there are more Linux boxes than Macs, but Macs are not uncommon in US Government facilities.
  • Reply 120 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

Maybe DOD doesnt, but DOE does. Machines that have cameras in them cannot go into some areas. Most areas they can go into, but the camera has to physically disconected. And there are macs, Dells, HPs.... there are more Linux boxes than Macs, but Macs are not uncommon in US Government facilities.

NASA is pretty full up with Mac's. Almost all of the engineers have PB's.