Edited post. Now @ end of page.
  • Reply 82 of 170
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fezzasus

is 20 inches of laptop still portable?

Kinda. Compared to an iMac, at least.

Quote:

If I needed a large screen, i would carry around a iBook and a projector, it would take up the same amount of room and cost similar

Very true, but some people might need/want the one-piece-to-carry convenience. It was just a thought I had.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

If I needed a large screen, i would carry around a iBook and a projector, it would take up the same amount of room and cost similar

That is an option to consider for those needing to make presentations, but most of the very small projectors in that price range have a fairly low resolution.
  • Reply 84 of 170
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

I remember some PC manufacturer selling a notebook with specs VERY similar to the MacBook Pro's, but for a hundred dollars more... anyone remember?

I think it was Acer, I could be wrong though. Acer had the same graphics card, same processor and the equal amount of ram without the remote control, maybe the camera and no OS X for a hundred dollars more.
  • Reply 85 of 170
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Quote:

About 15 years or so ago the laptop were like the small briefcases and pretty heavy too, so 20" laptop does not seem completely illogical.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by a_greer

My prediction:

All core duo, varying speeds.

all 512 MB ram

all integrated graphics (to seperate the Pro line)

all iSight

all 13.3 inch display

all mini DVI, mirror only

Low end $899-1099

60 GB hdd

combo drive

High end. (low end+200)

80GB hdd

superdrive

frontrow remote

I'm guessing

Radeon Xpress 200M graphics not Intel integrated.

http://www.ati.com/products/Radeonxp...tel/index.html

I hope they all have 5400rpm drives...

The good news there is that 4,200 drives are on the way out altogether. They may not be making them after this year, except for small capacity models, 30GB and less.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by tensdanny38

Thats not what i'm saying at all. I'm saying they should offer more options to consumers. I feel my market has been eliminated with the 12" mbp because I want a dual core system that is small, and has a gpu. I want something more powerful than a x1300. Preferably an x1600.

Apple will never please everyone. They can't have too many models.

But, it's possible that they will have a new category, at some point, which will be a series of ultra-light machines, in the 2 pound class, as Sony, I think, and others have. Those would have 12", and possibly smaller screens. Many have asked for that, mainly for the the K-6 educational market, where even the iBooks were considered to be too heavy.

We also have to give them time to assess the market. If the 12" PB sales were seriously off, then they would, rightly, feel as though a machine in that category wasn't a good idea any longer. That fact that a few people would want one simply isn't enough of a reason to produce it.
  • Reply 88 of 170
    Quote:

You can't think of those as portables, they are in the category of desktop replacements.
  • Reply 89 of 170
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

That is an option to consider for those needing to make presentations, but most of the very small projectors in that price range have a fairly low resolution.

and beleve me, anything less than 1200 lines of resolution (vert or horiz.) looks like shit on a screen >6ft wide
  • Reply 90 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You can't think of those as portables, they are in the category of desktop replacements.

they are the "mobile" home of PCs, mobile in name only, for those who cant deside between the RV and a house -- or portable and desktop, the downside of both worlds, the upside of neither
  • Reply 91 of 170
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's funny to see people getting all angry and some going:

"These are consumers laptops people!"

and others going

"Where's my goddamn 12" pb replacement!?"

And not noting what the article says:

Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Unlike Apple's entry-level Mac mini consumer desktops, which are available with either an Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processor, each MacBook is expected to pack at least a 1.67GHz Core Duo chip. The notebooks will be available in several configurations, each built around a vibrant 13-inch widescreen display.

Several almost always indicates more than 2 and while this is simply more speculation that leads me to believe this:

$999 MackBook

13.3" Widescreen

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)

40GB 4200rpm HD

Combo Drive

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$1299 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

60GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$1499 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

80GB 5400rpm HD

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$2899 MacBook Pro

17" Widescreen

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

1GB memory

100GB 5400rpm HD

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

I mean read into it, Apple wants to grow as a company but will limit themselves to only 2 lines with 2 configurations all the while forgetting their 12" powerbook user base? I don't see it happening, this redesign allows them to make the ibook not so toy-like as well as leaving room to almost merge the product lines.

Look at the names MacBook and MacBook Pro are that simliar for a reason, they're sister systems and will probably sport similar designs only being separated by specs and MacBook being plastic.

This I believe allow the 12" pb to move into MacBook territory without making the machine look extremely consumer.
  • Reply 92 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

and beleve me, anything less than 1200 lines of resolution (vert or horiz.) looks like shit on a screen >6ft wide

Do you happen to use or own such a device that meets or beats that?
  • Reply 93 of 170
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    Quote:

The reason I suggested that is because I can't think of much other reason to have a 20" laptop other than making presentations.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    off/langoff/lang Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Several almost always indicates more than 2 and while this is simply more speculation that leads me to believe this:

It makes sense for them to move to one base and then offer several options. I hope that they offer >=2.0 GHz Duos as online store options.
  • Reply 95 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

[B]It's funny to see people getting all angry and some going:

"These are consumers laptops people!"

and others going

"Where's my goddamn 12" pb replacement!?"

And not noting what the article says:

This article is just an article. It is NOT a statement from Apple.

I still think that Core Solo chips will be used, though, as Apple raised the minimum speed of the MBP fron 1.67 to 1.83, we might see a top model using that 1.67 Duo.

But, it depends on the form factor Apple going to use. I don't know if it's true or not, but I hear that the MacBooks will be different from the older iBooks.
  • Reply 96 of 170
    Quote:

That's really high end. $15,000 and up.
  • Reply 97 of 170
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

This article is just an article. It is NOT a statement from Apple.

I still think that Core Solo chips will be used, though, as Apple raised the minimum speed of the MBP fron 1.67 to 1.83, we might see a top model using that 1.67 Duo.

But, it depends on the form factor Apple going to use. I don't know if it's true or not, but I hear that the MacBooks will be different from the older iBooks.

Oh I know that, that's why I said "though it's simply more speculation."

But I still believe there is room for 3 configs, because I think that the high end macbook I outlined has enough pull to make up for the poor showing for 12" pb, even though it does have a following.
  • Reply 98 of 170
    Quote:

That's really high end. $15,000 and up.

UXGA is more like $30k+. 1080p starts at $10k.
  • Reply 99 of 170
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Here's a chart of my predictions: (Note: They may add a third MacBook model to bridge the gap of the high end MacBook and low end MacBook Pro).

MacBook

MacBook Pro

*The 20" model is purely speculative, of course.
  • Reply 100 of 170
    Quote:

Sorry, not being at the office, I thought the projectors were 1600.1200, a quick check shows that I was using projectors with a native resolution of 1440. 1050, usually feeding content from PCs at 1280.1024, but when I crank the res to 1600.1200, the projector can handle it, and it looks damn good.

here is what I use

http://www.infocus.com/Products/Projectors/LP860.aspx

EDIT: the spec sheet lists 1600.1200 as a supported resolution for data...now THAT is how to give a powerpoint!

Supports 1080p/24 video too...we paid like $3500

edit#2

It could also be this model that also supports the same resolutions, just with a lower native res.

http://www.infocus.com/Products/Projectors/LP850.aspx