Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Some Google-fu.

Heh!
  • Reply 863 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Close but your prices are too low. I'd say you're prices may be feasible with a 2/2.33/2.66 span of speeds.

A dual Xeon 5160 would be $3499 at the very least. We're talking about $1600 of processors alone here.

Here's some pricing info. no actual prices, but information on what Intel is doing now.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32650
  • Reply 864 of 946
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the top-end will remain $3,299. But I think there's some possibility that Apple could lower prices on the bottom tier pro towers, making an incredible value over previous low-end pro towers in Apple's line-up.

My true hope, actually, is that Apple allows the customer ? like Dell is presently offering to their customers ? the ability to custom configure any model of the pro tower with one dual-core for an optional 2nd Dual Core Woodcrest processor. This would allow a lot of flexibility in the pricing, I would think.
  • Reply 865 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think the top-end will remain $3,299. But I think there's some possibility that Apple could lower prices on the bottom tier pro towers, making an incredible value over previous low-end pro towers in Apple's line-up.

My true hope, actually, is that Apple allows the customer ? like Dell is presently offering to their customers ? the ability to custom configure any model of the pro tower with one dual-core for an optional 2nd Dual Core Woodcrest processor. This would allow a lot of flexibility in the pricing, I would think.

I'm thinking they will have to bring standard memory, and other BTO options way down just to make $3,499 on the 3GHz model. I think they'll try, and do whatever it takes. I always get my options like memory, and drives elsewhere anyway so it's no sweat off my back.
  • Reply 866 of 946
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I'm thinking they will have to bring standard memory, and other BTO options way down just to make $3,499 on the 3GHz model. I think they'll try, and do whatever it takes. I always get my options like memory, and drives elsewhere anyway so it's no sweat off my back.

Instead, I think that dual Xeon 5160 may be a BTO option (+ $500) for the top of the line Mac Pro, which I expect will contain dual 5150.
  • Reply 867 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I wonder what Apple actually pays. The prices we always see is for one bin ? 1,000 chips. Prices go down again for ten bins, and then again for 100. After that, I don't know. But Intel did say that they were dropping the manufacturer by manufacturer pricing they were using. I imagine that's because of the lawsuit.

While this isn't a Powermac/Conroe tidbit, I though it might be of interest. The next to last paragraph is what interests us.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32628

Mind linking us to the article?
  • Reply 868 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by mwswami

Instead, I think that dual Xeon 5160 may be a BTO option (+ $500) for the top of the line Mac Pro, which I expect will contain dual 5150.

That could work too, but I have not seen a BTO processor drop down from Apple in a long time. I'd rather get the less memory, and drive space though because Apple could offer a better price if they minimized the other options.
  • Reply 869 of 946
    Quote:

That could work too, but I have not seen a BTO processor drop down from Apple in a long time. I'd rather get the less memory, and drive space though because Apple could offer a better price if they minimized the other options.

15 inch MBP? that has a BTO processor option.

Apple can afford to put together the rest of the Mac Pro for $1000 (See any of my breakdowns on this board). At $1600 for the processors, they can price it anywhere from $3000 to $3500 for the dual 3.0

Also, remember that the G5 could never get to 3 GHz. It's sort of a mythic line for Apple, after Steve got embarassed on that score. And there has to be a large jump over quad 2.5 G5s, which Quad 2.67 won't quite make.
  • Reply 870 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

That's not what I mean. That is 2 MBP's in their own category on the page. Apple used to have drop down menus after you hit the configure button where you could select the processor the same way you upgrade your memory, and hard drives with the button options now.
  • Reply 871 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

It temporarily did.
  • Reply 872 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Mind linking us to the article?

It's from several different places. What part? I'll try to find it.

EDIT: I just realized that you might have meant the link I provided, so I tried it. You're right, it doesn't link directly to the article for some reason. I'll try again, and I hope that was what you were talking about.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32628

I hope that worked because the article did show up. If not, it's called "AMD and Dell sign deal for millions of chips". on the home page.
  • Reply 873 of 946
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

EDIT: I just realized that you might have meant the link I provided, so I tried it. You're right, it doesn't link directly to the article for some reason. I'll try again, and I hope that was what you were talking about.

I hope that worked because the article did show up. If not, it's called "AMD and Dell sign deal for millions of chips". on the home page.

It works.
  • Reply 874 of 946
    Quote:

Lets hope Apple has a handbag full of good news from intel, and Nvidia because that looks to me like graphics powerhouses coming from DELL in the near future with an all AMD lineup. Now that DELL has Alienware they could be coming very strong in the near future. Better designers, better hardware - This could be an all new DELL.
  • Reply 875 of 946
    Quote:

Lets hope Apple has a handbag full of good news from intel, and Nvidia because that looks to me like graphics powerhouses coming from DELL in the near future with an all AMD lineup. Now that DELL has Alienware they could be coming very strong in the near future. Better designers, better hardware - This could be an all new DELL.

Please, don't make me shudder.

An interesting event happened to me last week.

I received a call from AmEx telling me that there was fraud on my card. Someone bought three pairs of Gucci loafers from Saks 5th Ave, and had them sent to a third party's address. That didn't bother me too much. But, I was also told that that same someone also had sent to another address $3,000 dollars worth of equipment bought from Dell.

When I asked how they knew it was fraud, in addition to the third party address, I was told that they didn't think that it was me, because I'm always buying from Apple and other Mac related sites.

Amazing.

p.s. they caught it in time, so the stuff didn't get delivered, and I now have a new card number memorized!
  • Reply 876 of 946
    DELL can't change. Dell's main competition is Gateway and HP for all the low-end stuff that make up the majority of it's sales. Dell needs that for the market share advantages. Granted, high-end systems are the most profitable, but Dell can't change on the low-end because low-end Windows x86 computers are commodities now. There is barely any difference between the Dell one and the Gateway one (unless it's an AMD model vs a Intel model). Dell has to deal with the fact that of it's huge (sort of) marketshare, most of it is in the no-profit sub-$800 computer range. By contrast, Apple has a market share of 3% or whatever, but it's the good 3% (mostly computers over $1000, which have a higher margin).

Dell would have to accept a major marketshare cut to do any real re-inventing. And shareholders would balk at that.

Speaking of this, are there marketshare numbers broken down by computer price? Because I can't find them, just overall numbers.
  • Reply 877 of 946
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

When I asked how they knew it was fraud, in addition to the third party address, I was told that they didn't think that it was me, because I'm always buying from Apple and other Mac related sites.

That's awesome.
  • Reply 878 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

That's awesome.

Yeah, pretty amazing. AmEx is good about that.
  • Reply 879 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

AMD has nothing planned in hardware that is likely to worry Intel. Intel's LG771(Dempsey/Woodcrest) is up to the challenge.

Dell is an interesting subject. I personally feel that the Alienware acquisiton doesn't help Dell at all. Man if guys could only see the grief that HP and IBM are putting on Dell you would laugh. Both cought up additional funds if the deal is against Dell. Thus you have an understanding why Dell isn't putting up the same numbers.

Apple will compete fine in this space because the margins are better and Apple has a a more narrow focus on workstation centered around A/V work.
  • Reply 880 of 946
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

AMD has nothing planned in hardware that is likely to worry Intel.

How do you know that?