The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 881 of 946
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

How do you know that?

Basically you don't. To assume anything else is naive. You can't just rely on what's announced or in the pipeline. Both Intel and AMD will have stuff up their sleeves. It's good to see Intel fighting back aggressively to regain market share in the server and gaming markets.

To see one example of what might be up AMD's sleeve check out "AMD's reverse Hyper-Threading". I don't know if it's workable but it's intriguing for sure. Also see rumored Intel Core Multiplexing.

As soon as AMD puts 65nm process to production, I believe we will see them try to be the first to come out with the Quad core chip. Intel seems to have Clovertown designed and ready to go in the their back pocket but, even with it's superior Core 2 architecture, because of the lack of decent processor Interconnect, it may not perform as well as a Quad core Opteron. Time will tell ......
  • Reply 882 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

How do you know that?

Other than AM2 there are no large AMD refreshes coming that contain any significant core architectural changes. Feel free to try and find some though.

Plus I have access to 90 day roadmaps from a large vendor. We're kickin' Dell's a** and I'm on the front line.
  • Reply 883 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

That's awesome.

Yeah, it really is. If I get to have a guardian angel at American Express ensuring the Mac-ness of my purchases, I don't care about privacy.
  • Reply 884 of 946
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Other than AM2 there are no large AMD refreshes coming that contain any significant core architectural changes. Feel free to try and find some though.

Plus I have access to 90 day roadmaps from a large vendor. We're kickin' Dell's a** and I'm on the front line.

I'm actually wondering what is wrong with Dell. Stock has fallen nearly in half in the last 12 months or so.

Has it got to the point that corporations just don't treat Dell as the tried-and-true "safe" buy anymore? Has HP finally caught up and is able to compete? Has the cost of computers gotten to the point that any cost savings from Dell's operational efficiency don't matter any more? All of the above?

They bought Alienware and are selling XPS computers to get margins. Going with AMD Opterons for server margins. Lastly, if the AMD mobile and desktop machine rumor is true, Dell is taking a gigantic gamble on price being the only thing that matters to sales and performance doesn't really matter anymore. Still odd, because Intel can drive the cost of their platforms very very low if need be, and that could kill Dell-AMD.

Hmm... SGI could be a good buy for Dell.
  • Reply 885 of 946
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Hell, with the tumble SGI has been taking, AppleInsdier forums members (as a collective, duh?) could buy SGI now?!
  • Reply 886 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

I'm actually wondering what is wrong with Dell. Stock has fallen nearly in half in the last 12 months or so.

Has it got to the point that corporations just don't treat Dell as the tried-and-true "safe" buy anymore? Has HP finally caught up and is able to compete? Has the cost of computers gotten to the point that any cost savings from Dell's operational efficiency don't matter any more? All of the above?

They bought Alienware and are selling XPS computers to get margins. Going with AMD Opterons for server margins. Lastly, if the AMD mobile and desktop machine rumor is true, Dell is taking a gigantic gamble on price being the only thing that matters to sales and performance doesn't really matter anymore. Still odd, because Intel can drive the cost of their platforms very very low if need be, and that could kill Dell-AMD.

I don't see the connection of performance not being something in their game plan now that they bought Alienware. Alienware will still be operational, and making gaming machines, and highend workstations. That's new for DELL.
  • Reply 887 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dell really doesn't have the software management tools to compete with IBM or HP.

They could OEM a bunch of tools but that's going to take a lot of money and time.

Incidentally Apple is in the same shoes. Even if they developed a full lineup of Server/Workstation they'd be far behind on Enterprise tools and other "glue" stuff.

That's ok for me...just get out fast computers.
  • Reply 888 of 946
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

How do they save money going with AMD? Intel are giving away processsors right now. Pent Ds and P4s are dirt.
  • Reply 889 of 946
    What's the best bet for the mac Pro release date do you all think? I think WWDC is plain stupid, but seems most likely...
  • Reply 890 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What's the best bet for the mac Pro release date do you all think? I think WWDC is plain stupid, but seems most likely...

I agree on both counts.
  • Reply 891 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

How do they save money going with AMD? Intel are giving away processsors right now. Pent Ds and P4s are dirt.

AMD will give away processors for cheaper than dirt.
  • Reply 892 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

And that's been AMD's problems for, oh so many years. Living at the edge of profitability. They've had a good run recently.
  • Reply 893 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Maybe I'm mistaken but from what I've seen at Annad, Pent Ds are way cheaper than Athlons. Maybe the Semprons are even cheaper I don't know for sure but at $100 for a 2.8 ghz Pent D I don't see how AMD competes on price per dollar.
  • Reply 894 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It's most likely at WWDC or 4 days earlier at SIGGRAPH. If they have a lot of stuff ready they would do the PM at SIG, and release something else at WWDC. If it were at SIGGRAPH they would be keynoting there, and they are not so I would say WWDC.
  • Reply 895 of 946
    Quote:

Maybe I'm mistaken but from what I've seen at Annad, Pent Ds are way cheaper than Athlons. Maybe the Semprons are even cheaper I don't know for sure but at $100 for a 2.8 ghz Pent D I don't see how AMD competes on price per dollar.

The D is an old chip now. Intel just wants to get rid of them. It'swhat happens with the current models that matters.
  • Reply 896 of 946
    Quote:

Oh, they are preparing to compete. I don't know how well, but they are trying. They've eliminated the Athlon X2 CPUs with 2 x1 MB L2 cache. They now only have 2x512 KB L2 cache Athlon X2 CPUs with the exception of an Athlon X2 3600+ with 2x256 KB of L2 cache. The 2x1 MB L2 cache K8 CPUs will either be Athlon FXs or Opterons from now on.

In effect, they are reducing die size in their dual-core mainstream parts which should increase yield and reduce the cost of manufacturing them, and in trade, take a small performance hit in order to compete. The Athlon X2 3600+ should be in the $150 range.

For Dell, AMD could be offering them CPUs at-cost or something close to it. Getting something on the order of less than 10 to 20 dollars than the competition could be all the Dell wants.
  • Reply 897 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The D is an old chip now. Intel just wants to get rid of them. It'swhat happens with the current models that matters.

From what I've read it looks like Intel plan to use Pent Ds to compete at the low end and core 2 will be the premium chip at the high end. I think I read that Intel still expects 40% of it's desktop cpu shipments to be pent ds into the first half of 07. I think it will be around a little longer.
  • Reply 898 of 946
    Okay, people, this could be it (oh please oh please oh please):

"There's recently been some talk about a potential Apple product introduction following the July 4th holiday. However, the rumors are largely unconfirmed at this time.

Specifically, the rumblings suggest a high-end hardware offering could be in the cards. Informed speculation would point to a product based on Intel's Woodcrest line of chips, which were recently introduced."

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1855
  • Reply 899 of 946
    Some sort of joke about fireworks? I mean, that Mac Pro Quad is gonna be a screamer. But the Fourth is a tuesday. Maybe on the 11th?
  • Reply 900 of 946
    Quote:

From what I've read it looks like Intel plan to use Pent Ds to compete at the low end and core 2 will be the premium chip at the high end. I think I read that Intel still expects 40% of it's desktop cpu shipments to be pent ds into the first half of 07. I think it will be around a little longer.

Yes, you are right about that. But it is still obsolete at this time already. The Yonah has replaced it. It's only being made until they get the lines up to completely produce the newer chips. I don't remember if the "D" is even a 65nm part.