The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 841 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

The "apple premium" I refer to is the perceived expensiveness of apple hardware. You see, average computer buyers don't really look at "similar parts" they just look at the price for a complete system (being computer + screen + Keyb. + mouse). Now i could have gotten a complete system from dell for ?763 including a 19" monitor (average joe remark: "and it has a faster processor too!" -P4 2.8 GHz)

Apple doesn't build that shit. They could care less about a sale or two to nitpickers that can easily build their own if they feeel their hardware is too much. They would rather make quality products.

Hey I could take a shit in a box, and throw a guaranteed sticker on the box and sell it to you, but then all you'd really have a guaranteed piece of shit.

-Chris Farley

It's like going to the store and buying what appears to be a can of mushrooms, but you open it, and it's actually a can of shit. If I were planting a flower bed that can of shit might be real handy, but I was trying to make mushroom soup, and my mushroom soup recipe does not call for shit.

Sure, some mushrooms grow on shit, so there is a slight relation, but I still by no means need shit in my soup.

~onlooker
  • Reply 842 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No, you're under the misconception that Apple somehow means extraordinary build quality deserving of a $300+ premium. Frankly, lately build quality hasn't been too great. And second of all, the failure rate of home-built PCs is extraordinarily low in my experience.
  • Reply 843 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

T;ftfy.

Mind translating your noteworthy thoughts? What I meant is, if somebody has to pay an extra $500 for a Mac over a PC (yes I know Macs run Windows hurrrrrr), they're going to buy a PC that runs Windows exclusively.
  • Reply 844 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

No, you're under the misconception that Apple somehow means extraordinary build quality deserving of a $300+ premium. Frankly, lately build quality hasn't been too great.

I agree (and it's hard to disagree) that Apple's build quality in the past few years has been comparably bad.

Quote:

And second of all, the failure rate of home-built PCs is extraordinarily low in my experience.

It's hard to statistically prove or disprove that, seeing as home-built PCs are inherently custom, and particular configurations are thus rare, but in my experience (that being hundreds of computers that I built and/or maintained), the rate is significantly higher than that of decent brands.

Quote:

Mind translating your noteworthy thoughts? What I meant is, if somebody has to pay an extra $500 for a Mac over a PC (yes I know Macs run Windows hurrrrrr), they're going to buy a PC that runs Windows exclusively.

And what I meant is, if somebody has been considering Macs for a while already, but always worried that they might end up preferring Windows anyway, they now have the chance to keep going back and forth without changing machines, thanks to Mactels / Boot Camp / Parallels / etc.

Even if the premium for that is $500, which I'd disagree with, it may be a worthwhile compromise.
  • Reply 845 of 946
    Why the premium?
  • Reply 846 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Why the premium?

What?
  • Reply 847 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm sorry but unless you work for a full service reseller and have access to returns, defective info and the whole gamut any statement you make regarding build quality is tantamount to hearsay.

While Apple has had some highly publicized issues the majority of their computers are indeed a cut above what we see on the PC side.

#1 for Mac issues tends to be memory. We have very little issues with the LCD screens. Very few motherboards issues.

I find it odd that I'm still spending $2000 on PC laptops and getting VGA ports instead of DVI. I'm still getting 4-pin firewire instead of 6 pin powered.

Apple is not a Diet Computer Company. You get world class design and you do pay a premium. Some people see value in this and buy in others don't. More power to them.
  • Reply 848 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What?

Why do Apple products cost more?
  • Reply 849 of 946
    Quote:

No, you're under the misconception that Apple somehow means extraordinary build quality deserving of a $300+ premium. Frankly, lately build quality hasn't been too great. And second of all, the failure rate of home-built PCs is extraordinarily low in my experience.

I'm not sure who you were talking to, or exactly what your getting at, but what I was originally referring to was that there is no premium. If you configure component to equal component the price is almost identical, and in the past 3 years I have been watching this I've seen Apples price less than DELL in that respect on a few occasions. So IMO the premium does not exist. But, the person I was quoting was talking about any machine with lesser quality, and/or lesser performing parts, that has a faster processor then can state "why is this one faster, but cheaper than a Mac?". My response was - Apple doesn't build machines like that. You always get a quality product. I don't see that as a premium. It's a correct value - part to part wise.
  • Reply 850 of 946
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

What is this "Apple premium"? I hope this is just the premium you spend for not building your own, because unless you compared an Apple branded machine to a DELL, HP, or any other manufacturers computers with similar parts you should before you make such a statement. Because we have done this in here many times before, and in the past 3 years that I have noticed people doing it I have not seen any real escalated prices from Apple on anything they produce. It's a toss up IMO. Because some times they even had better prices than DELL comparatively.

Agreed. Apple being overpriced or higher priced is a very very tiresome argument. And it is often cited by otherwise knowledgeable people that should know better.
  • Reply 851 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's not what I was talking about, so I guess you missed it.

If you look in this thread you'll see the first post I am on top with ZachPruckowski below me. THe thread was started by AppleInsider

Kasper's Automated Slave, who should have the top position because he started it, but for some reason I jumped all the way ahead of him in the order. I have the post was quoting in a quote which was the last post posted at the time. THat post is about #20, or so, so mine should haver been #21, but for strange reasons I was thrown up to spot #1. It did that to me all night.

I wasn't looking at that. The problem I had was that when I posted, it told me that I couldn't post less than 30 seconds apart, even though I hadn't posted for hours. Later, when I came back again,in addition to still having that problem, the time listed on the page was for 1.0.9 PM, even though it was actually 1.0.9 AM. Besides that, there were a lot of posts in my mailbox that weren't in the thread. That remained true today, even after I was able to post again. I then posted the reply that should have been posted yesterday.

This could have been part of the same problem.
  • Reply 852 of 946
    Both Macnn and AI forums are having "time" issues that are jumbling the posts.
  • Reply 853 of 946
    Apple's machines can cost more. But Apple has custom cases that are very expensive compared to PC cases. PC cases are basically off the shelf, except for the plastics, whick don't cost too much more to make. Apple's cases are entirely designed, and made for Apple. Each model has its own custom design. Apple also uses expensive materials in the manufacture of those cases. Polycarbonate costs several times the butylate, or other plastics commonly used. The heavy anodized aluminum Apple uses for the towers is several gauges heavier than the aluminum cases others use, and the handles and feet add to that cost.

Use cheaper cases, and $100 to $200 could come off the top.

And that's just the start.

Sadly, Apple has had some problems, but they are more of the nature of design than quality. When they try to make the thinnest, and lightest machines (portables), there are bound to be problems, such as heat. Other problems come because some area in the design doesn't perform in the field, with many machines, the way the few engineering samples did. That's not too uncommon. But Apple's fanatical secrecy prevents them from putting more samples into the hands of users before they go to production, so they don't catch everything.
  • Reply 854 of 946
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Apple's machines can cost more. But Apple has custom cases that are very expensive compared to PC cases. PC cases are basically off the shelf, except for the plastics, whick don't cost too much more to make. Apple's cases are entirely designed, and made for Apple. Each model has its own custom design. Apple also uses expensive materials in the manufacture of those cases. Polycarbonate costs several times the butylate, or other plastics commonly used. The heavy anodized aluminum Apple uses for the towers is several gauges heavier than the aluminum cases others use, and the handles and feet add to that cost.

Use cheaper cases, and $100 to $200 could come off the top.

And that's just the start.

Sadly, Apple has had some problems, but they are more of the nature of design than quality. When they try to make the thinnest, and lightest machines (portables), there are bound to be problems, such as heat. Other problems come because some area in the design doesn't perform in the field, with many machines, the way the few engineering samples did. That's not too uncommon. But Apple's fanatical secrecy prevents them from putting more samples into the hands of users before they go to production, so they don't catch everything.

They more than make up for it with cheap labor, just joking.

I've seen too many price comparisons between Apple and other manufacturers. When compared feature for feature Apple is more than competitive and some times cheaper, as is the case with the mini and it's only close competition from AOpen(re: which in the case with AOpen the mini is/was? $100 cheaper)
  • Reply 855 of 946
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Mac Pro

--------

Dual 2.33 Ghz Mac Pro - $1999

Dual 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro - $2499

Dual 3.00 Ghz Mac Pro - $2999

apart from this any chances of

Mac Cube

--------

Dual/Single 2.33 LV

250 GB -

512 MB - two slots

128 MB ATI Radeon XXX

Super Drive

$1699

possible?
  • Reply 856 of 946
    I think dual-2.33 in the low end is out. Apple wants a reason to upgrade each step. With the current PMs, the first jump up gets you 250 GB more HDD, .3 GHz speed, and a non-crippled (but still subpar) video card. The next jump adds another dual-core processor.

In the Mac Pros, the first jump (from 2.0 to 2.33) can add a better video card (maybe a 7900GT versus 7800GT or 7800GT versus 7600). The second jump adds a lot of speed if it goes from 2.33 GHz to 3.0 GHz. I also don't think you can get quad 3.0 in $3000. Each 3.0 GHz processor will run about $800 or so.
  • Reply 857 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

Mac Pro

--------

Dual 2.33 Ghz Mac Pro - $1999

Dual 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro - $2499

Dual 3.00 Ghz Mac Pro - $2999

apart from this any chances of

Close but your prices are too low. I'd say you're prices may be feasible with a 2/2.33/2.66 span of speeds.

A dual Xeon 5160 would be $3499 at the very least. We're talking about $1600 of processors alone here.
  • Reply 858 of 946
    I agree. Your prices were too low. Mac Cube is unguessable because AFAIK it's been discontinued.
  • Reply 859 of 946
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Close but your prices are too low. I'd say you're prices may be feasible with a 2/2.33/2.66 span of speeds.

A dual Xeon 5160 would be $3499 at the very least. We're talking about $1600 of processors alone here.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...060626comp.htm

$851 Retail price rite, APPLE may be getting better discounts.

Dual 3.00 Ghz Mac Pro - $3299 - may be the high end remains same. I remember PM price increased when apple introduced Quad Machine, previously was it $2999?

When Dual core is new normal, i see the price doable or i could be wrong. More over apple like to show atleast one machine @ 3.0 Ghz
  • Reply 860 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I wonder what Apple actually pays. The prices we always see is for one bin ? 1,000 chips. Prices go down again for ten bins, and then again for 100. After that, I don't know. But Intel did say that they were dropping the manufacturer by manufacturer pricing they were using. I imagine that's because of the lawsuit.

While this isn't a Powermac/Conroe tidbit, I though it might be of interest. The next to last paragraph is what interests us.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32628