Apple's iBook successor may sport fashionable hues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 208
  • Reply 22 of 208
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

ok, so if its iPod white, how COULD it be alluminum?

I don't know. Anodizing?
  • Reply 23 of 208
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

However, since sources have reported that the notebooks will be standardized around a 13-inch widescreen display and Intel's Core Duo processors,

My biggest complaint with Apple's product selection is their tying together sizes, capacities, and processing power. Let's hope there's the option of the highest-end processor with the smallest screen, and vice-versa.
  • Reply 24 of 208
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    My guess is that they'll have two colours, black and white...but both accented by brushed aluminum edges.
  • Reply 25 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

My guess is that they'll have two colours, black and white...but both accented by brushed aluminum edges.

eew, in my mind that looks really gross.
  • Reply 26 of 208
    It's hard to imagine gadgets nowadays not looking disgustingly 1999 with colors, but we're talking about Apple here.

I'm confident that if they returned to using colored exteriors, they'd do it like most others wouldn't.

However, it's pretty hard to imagine the use of color without it looking horribly dated 2 weeks after the gadgets' introduction.

I look forward to eyeballing whatever they release, but until then, I'm still smitten with my 12" Powerbook. I think this form will still look appealing 5 years from now, because of how minimalistic and well-designed it is.

Thanks.
  • Reply 27 of 208
    Apple keeps reminding me of an updated 70s approach to design. Not always, but...

I could see strong colors that look really rich with the clear polycarbonate over the paint. Playful, but strong. Then again, my imagination is always much keener and more interesting than the actual thing I'm thinking of!
  • Reply 28 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by geo06

A black MacBook Pro???

I think that would be an ingenious plan...

Anodized black aluminum? That would look incredible with the Apple logo glowing in the middle...would look very professional.
  • Reply 29 of 208
    Quote:

eew, in my mind that looks really gross.

"Pimp My Mac"?
  • Reply 30 of 208
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naraa Haras

Doesn't Apple have a patent for a case design that can change color? That was rumored to be part of a future iMac (now past), but I wonder if the iBook could have a feature like that...

I think the patent you're talking about is for light to be shined under the plastic to make it glow different colours. Apparently (this was way before I was a Mac user) everyone thought Apple was going to roll out glowing computers but it ended up just being the on/off/sleep light under the plastic on iMacs and laptops.

I don't think the colours will look dated or "1999esq". This is going to be done differently. The old iMacs were coloured and translucent and the plastic was slighty frosted. The Macbooks will be glossy with solid colours. It will look dated in a few years when there are new trends in design but I think it will look good while it's "in style".

This will be a huge boost for Apple. People love the minimalist look of the iBooks but I have heard people complain about them only coming in white. There are many people who buy based on look alone and now that people can run windows, this will be an awesome looking computer with a superior OS without the risk (not being able to run programs that are Windows only).

This will be a good move.
  • Reply 31 of 208
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    If they do colours they will do:

STRAWBERRY

and

GRAPHITE

Solid versions of the colours used for the old iMacs.

That's my bet.

And whoa I said they'd look similar to the MacBook Pro!

Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Look at the names MacBook and MacBook Pro are that simliar for a reason, they're sister systems and will probably sport similar designs only being separated by specs and MacBook being plastic.

Score one for me!

But I Still see 3 configurations. Like I said before:

Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

$999 MackBook

13.3" Widescreen

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

512MB memory (Expandable to 2GB)

40GB 4200rpm HD

Combo Drive

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$1299 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

60GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

$1499 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

80GB 5400rpm HD

SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Built in iSight

Apple Remote

So I"m seeing this:

- All models offered in white(obviously)

- The $999 and $1299 models being the only one offered in a solid shade of iMac Strawberry

- The $1499 model being the only model offered in a solid shade of iMac Graphite

That'd be too sick.

That said I'd probably still buy the white one.

But my girlfriend would probably want the strawberry one.

I think that would appeal to regular people, women, and professionals/business who are looking for a small MacBook Pro.

If not I see them using the silver and pink mini(2nd gen) colours.

If it happens you heard it here first!
  • Reply 32 of 208
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
  • Reply 33 of 208
    Doesn't look any less badass.
  • Reply 34 of 208
    Quote:

I'll guess, white, black, pink, and blue maybe.

Three colors only: white, black and pink. Just like the Moto RAZR.

White for the traditional consumer, black for the guys/geeks and pink for the chicks.

Two models, three colors, six SKUs. More than that and it becomes an inventory nightmare.
  • Reply 35 of 208
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I think Apple left coloured computing was for inventory reasons. What if you have made a great computer and made millions of each of three colours before the introduction, if Graphite and Snow are flying of the shelves but one million flower powers are sitting there forever?
  • Reply 36 of 208
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    I don't know about that black MacBook picture.. It's pretty ugly.. It looks like a leather briefcase or portfolio..
  • Reply 37 of 208
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

A 13.3-inch model wouldn't have as much (if any) space to the sides of the keyboard. I also don't see ExpressCard appearing on the MacBook, although that would certainly be a welcome surprise. I like the strong black on the outside, but the glossy black on the inside could be too distracting.
  • Reply 38 of 208
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Hmm.. What's "fashionable"? Heh. Only Apple knows. Yes, for those that have seen my mockup before, it's a blatant re-post. But feel free to comment.

Chucker: "I like the strong black on the outside, but the glossy black on the inside could be too distracting."

Interesting point... There are a hell of a lot of black-on-the-inside Toshibas and Acers... I wonder what they are like.
  • Reply 39 of 208
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Back in the day, certain iMac configurations were limtited by color. The low-end model came in Sage, Ruby, and Indigo whereas the high-end model came in Graphite, Snow, and Indigo. While I don't think Apple really wants to offer this many stock models, this type of stratification can help keep the total number of units down and tailor towards different market segments.

And who is to say that with modern BTO we couldn't permit any color case with any specs inside? You can already customize a mini with a core solo or duo, and I don't see that changing when the MacBooks ship.
  • Reply 40 of 208
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Chucker: "I like the strong black on the outside, but the glossy black on the inside could be too distracting."

Interesting point... There are a hell of a lot of black-on-the-inside Toshibas and Acers... I wonder what they are like.

And on the inside of all pre G4 Powerbooks. I loved my Pismo. No problem with the black insides that beast 8)