Intel hurries next-generation chips

Comments

• Reply 101 of 175
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    TomsHardware did a good review on Core Duo whippin' everyone's butt. They used an AOpen i975Xa-YDG motherboard...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/...ow/page18.html

Looks like it's Socket 479 which is what's used for Pentium M.

The Asus one I mentioned above uses Intel's 945GT chipset while the TomsHardware benches uses the Intel 975X chipset.

I wonder what chipset is used in the Intel Mac Mini, iMac, and Macbook Pro... hmmm
  • Reply 102 of 175
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Apple's iMac Core Duo is well-designed, ahead of the market, looks great, runs cool, has a great OS, even runs Windows, you can play Windows games on it. Pity lotsa people don't know about it "It's too expensive...I can get a Dell for $etc"

Ever stop and consider that just because the works for you doesn't mean it works everyone else?
  • Reply 103 of 175
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

TomsHardware did a good review on Core Duo whippin' everyone's butt. They used an AOpen i975Xa-YDG motherboard...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/...ow/page18.html

Looks like it's Socket 479 which is what's used for Pentium M.

The Asus one I mentioned above uses Intel's 945GT chipset while the TomsHardware benches uses the Intel 975X chipset.

I wonder what chipset is used in the Intel Mac Mini, iMac, and Macbook Pro... hmmm

Yeah, it was one or the other of those, maybe both
  • Reply 104 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Ever stop and consider that just because the works for you doesn't mean it works everyone else?

Ben, he didn't say it was perfect for everyone.

But, you would be surprised at just how many people don't know about it.

We sometimes think that the publicity is so great that everyone knows all about Apple's products. Not so. Apple doesn't advertise it's computers in mass media outlets. Supposedly starting today, we will see some tv ads for them.

I just hope that they aren't the same type of crappy ads Apple slways seems to allow it agencies to come up with. If their computer ads were as good as their iPod/iTunes ads, they might actually sell some machines.
  • Reply 105 of 175
    Originally posted by BenRoethig

At the moment I'm actually using an overclocked AMD64 system My parents mostly use the iBook now, after 10 years of nightmares trying to help them out when they were using PCs.

It's just frustrating that the *awareness* of Macs is not there. Awareness of what it is, what it can do, and whether it's suitable for a computer buyer from home or business. More awareness = a computer buyer to making a more informed decision.

edit: speak of the devil, downloading all the new Mac ads now. AWARENESS is the key.
  • Reply 106 of 175
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Apple doesn't advertise it's computers in mass media outlets. Supposedly starting today, we will see some tv ads for them.

I think that ad is on the Apple.com opening page right now. They did advertise the Intel iMac on TV a little bit though not enough, and probably not the right kind of ad because it seemed to assume that people knew what the product was before the transition.
  • Reply 107 of 175

I just hope that they aren't the same type of crappy ads Apple slways seems to allow it agencies to come up with. If their computer ads were as good as their iPod/iTunes ads, they might actually sell some machines.

Mel, they're hideous. Arrogant, insulting to PC users, reinforces stereotypes that do not focus on growing market share, way too abstract, and cater mostly to the existing Mac fan base rather than potential "switchers". I am very, very dissapointed with these ads. Finally Apple takes the PC head on with TV ads but it's a hell of a waste of marketing budget. Freakin' bollocks ads.
  • Reply 108 of 175
    I think they're funny.
  • Reply 109 of 175
    Quote:

Mel, they're hideous. Arrogant, insulting to PC users, reinforces stereotypes that do not focus on growing market share, way too abstract, and cater mostly to the existing Mac fan base rather than potential "switchers". I am very, very dissapointed with these ads. Finally Apple takes the PC head on with TV ads but it's a hell of a waste of marketing budget. Freakin' bollocks ads.

I haven't watched any tv today, so I haven't seen them. They describe them on AR's, though. Didn't sound very impressive.

Being in advertising early on, and having a business that dealt with it for over 25 years, I think that I could come up with some pretty good ads. Too bad it'll never happen.

I don't understand what their problem is.
  • Reply 110 of 175
    Quote:

I like them a lot. How would you design the ads?
  • Reply 111 of 175
    Originally posted by gregmightdothat

The viruses one:

I would show a beige box PC and a counter running up the number of viruses it's susceptible to. Then next show stylish shots of different Mac products (so the viewer would know clearly, "oh this is this Mac thing they are talking about.. oh, they're computers...) with the virus counter running up to... zero. Close with Apple logo, "Mac" and Apple.com. Voice over throughout, talking about PC viruses and Mac viruses(none).
  • Reply 112 of 175
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

The viruses one:

I would show a beige box PC and a counter running up the number of viruses it's susceptible to. Then next show stylish shots of different Mac products (so the viewer would know clearly, "oh this is this Mac thing they are talking about.. oh, they're computers...) with the virus counter running up to... zero. Close with Apple logo, "Mac" and Apple.com. Voice over throughout, talking about PC viruses and Mac viruses(none).

You know MacDonalds has adds built around their theme " MacDonalds, I'm loving it". Apple's theme should be "Macs, they just work" or something along those lines IMO.
  • Reply 113 of 175
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:

Gotta go with the sterotypical images on this one. A shame. Jobs ain't 22 anymore, and neither are a lot of us. I got the 17" PB because it was so damn sexy (like a Ferrari, sexy)--couldn't resist. iBooks never did it for me (not that I don't respect their design), but I'm not a college kid bumming around Europe; when I bum around Europe, the accomadations are a little better now (even if I did have my PB in an apple backpack). I see where they're coming from, but it does seem like the past. Could have been more unique. But... at least it's a powerful message: Macs are great, PC's suck. Gotta love that.
  • Reply 114 of 175
    Quote:

I would have several different ads, each showing in a somewhat lighthearted way just how someone would enjoy doing something that they might shy away from because they think it's too difficult.

iPhoto, iWork, iMovieHD, etc. Show in 30 seconds (We did storylines like that all of the time. You still see ads like that.) what can be done. When finished, have the person move themselves, and their computer chair off to the side. At the end of that movement, mention the program, like:

"iMovie ? Only on a Mac!"

At the same time, show a 360 degree rotation of the iMac, or of a laptop, with the cover opening and closing while it is going around. The Mini could be illustrated by not showing it during the first part, but then zooming in afterwards, to give an idea of its size.

For business, slightly more serious themes could be used within that same context. Ending with a statement such as:

"Security, reliability, versatility ? all there to help keep your business running, consistently, and profitably!"

Windows shouldn't even be mentioned!

One of the most important premises of advertising is that you should NOT mention your competitor! When you do that, you are simply giving them advertising time, even if you put them down. Many times, people will forget the ad itself, and remember the names. That includes the name of your competitor.

Advertising should NEVER be negative.
  • Reply 115 of 175

...For business, slightly more serious themes could be used within that same context. Ending with a statement such as:

"Security, reliability, versatility ? all there to help keep your business running, consistently, and profitably!"

That's assuming Apple is interested in any way in the regular IT market and the things IT buyers care about

Totally. I'm sorry but Apple is too cool to actually market or advertise in any sensible sort of way But the weird thing is all the iPod ads really hit it off and is the clear case where Apple cool resonated with the people. But with the Mac they just can't freakin' get the Mac ads done properly for whatever reason.
  • Reply 116 of 175

...Windows shouldn't even be mentioned!...

It's number 6 on the right hand side under "All those reasons you never bought a Mac? Not true anymore." on http://www.apple.com/getamac/
  • Reply 117 of 175
    Quote:

...For business, slightly more serious themes could be used within that same context. Ending with a statement such as:

That's assuming Apple is interested in any way in the regular IT market and the things IT buyers care about

Totally. I'm sorry but Apple is too cool to actually market or advertise in any sensible sort of way But the weird thing is all the iPod ads really hit it off and is the clear case where Apple cool resonated with the people. But with the Mac they just can't freakin' get the Mac ads done properly for whatever reason.

Apple had damn well better be interested in what they need!

Whether or not, Apple, or even fanboi users of the platform like it or not, it is the enterprise customer that drives PC purchasing.

I can't say just how many times parents get up in meetings to say that they don't want Mac's in schools because they use PC's at work, and therefore that's what they want their kids to use in school.

If kids use Mac's in school, they will have a greater desire to continue using them. but, if they aren't exposed to them, they become just another PC user.

And, it's kids in school, using Mac's, that convince their parents to get a Mac at home. I've seen this many times over the years.

If Apple wants a significant increase in marketshare that is also lasting, and not subject to the whims of public fads, they MUST get back into the corporate world in a bigger way.

With the problems that MS is having with Vista, there is no better time to take advantage. It isn't just the software, it's the way Apple has to change its beliefs in cooperating with corporations, and bending to their will, in some areas.

It won't break the company to do so.
  • Reply 118 of 175
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    IMO, Macs should be marketed to schools as being multi platform capable. Therefore students can learn Windows, OS X and, through VM software, Linux on one machine. That seems like a strong competitve advantage to me.
  • Reply 119 of 175
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

IMO, Macs should be marketed to schools as being multi platform capable. Therefore students can learn Windows, OS X and, through VM software, Linux on one machine. That seems like a strong competitve advantage to me.

or just use a VM and do windows and linux. I'm not sure why you make a distinction to running Linux in a VM, as it can run natively on the hardware as well. You can triple boot intel based macs to boot up in OSX, Linux, or Windows.
  • Reply 120 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by doh123

or just use a VM and do windows and linux. I'm not sure why you make a distinction to running Linux in a VM, as it can run natively on the hardware as well. You can triple boot intel based macs to boot up in OSX, Linux, or Windows.

Right now, triple booting into Linux is more of a pain than double booting into X and XP. If, and when, Apple directly supports that, it will be different.