Intel hurries next-generation chips

Comments

• Reply 141 of 175
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

No way, he looks like a dork.

Who looks like a dork, Bill Gates or the Windows strawman in the ad?
  • Reply 142 of 175
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Who looks like a dork, Bill Gates or the Windows strawman in the ad?

That guy on the right, with the stupid sneakers, the one who makes funny sucking sounds to that chinese girl.
  • Reply 143 of 175
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

That guy on the right, with the stupid sneakers, the one who makes funny sucking sounds to that chinese girl.

Japanese. They were talking in Japanese.
  • Reply 144 of 175
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

No way, he looks like a dork.

There's a difference?
  • Reply 145 of 175
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

And you saw the ads? That is truely a Mac-centric position.

Of course, I use Macs by choice, but must use some windows at work, now.

I just don't understand your position that the ads are in any way condescending to people who use PC's. Everyone I know use Windows(re: and I mean everyone) and not a single one considers these commercials bad. In fact those that have actually seen them, consider them clever and chuckle, to out right belly laughs, when discussing them. They are not computer experts and at home experience the exact symptoms expressed in the commercials.

But since you do feel that way and perception is everything, I will concede that some people will in fact consider the ads in bad taste.
  • Reply 146 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Of course, I use Macs by choice, but must use some windows at work, now.

I just don't understand your position that the ads are in any way condescending to people who use PC's. Everyone I know use Windows(re: and I mean everyone) and not a single one considers these commercials bad. In fact those that have actually seen them, consider them clever and chuckle, to out right belly laughs, when discussing them. They are not computer experts and at home experience the exact symptoms expressed in the commercials.

But since you do feel that way and perception is everything, I will concede that some people will in fact consider the ads in bad taste.

I'm not the only one in this very thread who feels this way.

There have also been articles about that. So, obviously, there are others who feel it.
  • Reply 147 of 175
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I would say the Apple ads are only insulting to those who have some emotional attachment to their computer. Many of the people I know with PC's have no attachment at all. For them its just a computer, they don't particularly love it or hate it.

I've shown a couple of the ads to some friends who have PC's. They had no idea of those differences between the Mac and PC. They did not take the ads as calling them a PC person vs being a Mac person.

Many people buy computers based on price more than functionality so I don't know if the ads will convince them to buy a Mac but it certainly taught them something they did not previously know, which could influence their choice the next time they want to buy a computer.
  • Reply 148 of 175
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Basically I'm saying a person has to make some associating that my computer represents and is a reflection of me. Most of the people I know with PC's do not do that. The same as their toaster is no reflection of them as a person.

So they would not be insulted by calling a PC inferior.

Plus many of my friends are having problems with their PC so its not too difficult to raise their curiosity about something else that works better.
  • Reply 149 of 175
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    bumped up CPU introduced Penitum D 960 - 3.6GHz ...
  • Reply 150 of 175
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Plus many of my friends are having problems with their PC so its not too difficult to raise their curiosity about something else that works better.

We should probably also consider that, if we're on this forum discussing Apple rumors, we're not Apple's target market with this ad campaign. That would be, as one commentary said, "preaching to the choir." As you said, I do think they'll be effective with the people who don't post on AppleInsider, because most people that I've come into contact with don't really have strong feelings about it one way or another--besides complaining about Windows, that is.
  • Reply 151 of 175
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    So many forces will need to coincide if Apple is to break the single digit worldwide user base. The iPod phenomenon has been helpful, but the company cannot bank on that halo alone, and they know it.

As many of you have said, Apple must do more to break into the enterprise realm and keep pushing X and XP/Vista interoperability a la Boot Camp.

Additionally, they must continue to upgrade "common man" applications like Keynote, in all of its pristine simplicity. Keynote is an example of software which is already so much more elegant than its rival (Powerpoint) that it could become a key reason to switch to OS X. I can't tell you how many Windows users have seen Keynote presentations that I've given and said afterwards, "How can I do that stuff on my PC?"

iWeb has been a clunker so far, but the web remains a place in which the non-geek, non-coding graphic artist has been hamstrung by increasingly powerful but overly complex applications. If Adobe is smart, they will create a Flash for Designers ? an application with all of the whiz-bang power of Flash ... concealed UNDER THE HOOD.

Most radical of all, Apple could set out to give Flash a run for its money. The undertaking might be Herculean at the outset, but imagine Apple creating a user-friendly application for interactive animated Web design with QuickTime as the output format. Sound crazy? Crazier things have been.

In the meantime, advertising that disses Windows users as "uncool" may stoke Steve's ego as well as that of the Mac faithful, but it does little to attract buyers. Apple's greatest strength is the "it just works" elegance of its products. That's a big reason why the iPod has sold so well. The product caught fire largely because it sold itself.

And did I mention net safety and viruses? A key selling point could become a momentary nightmare if Apple lets down its guard on vulnerability.
  • Reply 152 of 175
    Back to topic for a bit.

Here's another pushed speed chip test. Merom at 3.4GHz ? cooled. With, well, read it.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,3794.html
  • Reply 153 of 175
    Nope off again.!

I just hope that they aren't the same type of crappy ads Apple slways seems to allow it agencies to come up with. If their computer ads were as good as their iPod/iTunes ads, they might actually sell some machines.

-

Ok they did those adds - they were perceived differently in different peoples eyes (personally I with the crap vote!). Hopefuly they didn't spend more than a few pennies on devising/shooting them. Fine on to the next lot...

..It's so simple.. Put an iMac or a iBook in the room with the go-go dancer silhouettes from the iPod adds .. simple connective imagery. Show them carrying their iBooks to school whilst having a bop - or whatever. It's time to make a real halo effect not analyse a theoretical one.
  • Reply 154 of 175
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

..It's so simple.. Put an iMac or a iBook in the room with the go-go dancer silhouettes from the iPod adds .. simple connective imagery. Show them carrying their iBooks to school whilst having a bop - or whatever. It's time to make a real halo effect not analyse a theoretical one.

I gotta say, I really like that idea.
  • Reply 155 of 175
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Can't Apple just advertise their products like Dell in a way that makes sense, shows the hardware, and tells the customer what the hell it is?
  • Reply 156 of 175
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Can't Apple just advertise their products like Dell in a way that makes sense, shows the hardware, and tells the customer what the hell it is?

They CAN. but, that doesn't mean they will.

They always have to be different. even when it doesn't do them any good.

Don't we all know someone who thinks that their being different makes them better in some way?

Being different simply for the purpose of being different serves no purpose.
  • Reply 157 of 175
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Back to topic for a bit.

Here's another pushed speed chip test. Merom at 3.4GHz ? cooled. With, well, read it.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,3794.html

What the hell? Is that an overclocked version? What is 60,000 points? They sure seem impressed but I've no reason why.
  • Reply 158 of 175
    3DMark01 is a very processor-intensive benchmark that adds some stuff together and you get a number of how many 3DMarks. 60,000 is well...amazing.
  • Reply 159 of 175
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

3DMark01 is a very processor-intensive benchmark that adds some stuff together and you get a number of how many 3DMarks. 60,000 is well...amazing.

Do you know of any reference scores? How does this compare to an Athlon or Pent D?
  • Reply 160 of 175
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I'm not sure how necessary Linux is on a Mac, but I suppose that claim should be best left to the people that do use both Linux and OS X a lot. I run most or all of the Unix and open source software that I want under OS X.

Yes, and you either are a complete generation behind (GNOME 2.12 vs 2.14, KDE 3.4 vs 3.5) or it involves running them through X11 which means that there's no support for native services and other goods.

You may also run those open source apps that have decided to offer a OS X version, but those are nothing compared to the whole arsenal of apps available to any Linux/Open Source user. Of course, one may only need to run 1 or 2 apps anyway, and running Linux just for those is overkill (in which case, your position makes a lot of sense) but sometimes people need to run more than one app or need that app which is not available through some type of open source mechanism (Fink or DarwinPorts).

In short, I see the need and purpose of running Linux/Open Source, if not only for the fact that they provide an alternative to OSX/Windows.