Briefly: WWDC info, .Mac file-sharing, PowerMac clone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GamoGuy

Many Amigas used/use PowerPC accelerator chips in addition to their own 68K CPUs, also.

And for that matter you could also stick an x86 Bridgeboard in too. And someone did an Alpha board at one point. You name it and it's probably been crammed into an Amiga at some point.

Back to the topic though, the Alibaba site points to the actual vendor of these G6 Macs...

http://www.redpcs.com which is now saying 'Server Down' and it's in California, not South America or China..

http://whois.domaintools.com/redpcs.com
  • Reply 22 of 59
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eatrains

The "picture" of it looks to be CG. But not even good CG. Looks like it was made in Paint.

Wow. That enlarged picture is hi-larious!. It must've taken someone...oh, i don't know...at least 10 minutes to create that picture. The jaggies are real nice too!
  • Reply 23 of 59
    afalknerafalkner Posts: 74member
    Is this the right spot to say how excited I am to see the new look of the PowerMac (MacTower?)!!!!! I hope they take the look now and shrink it down a bit to the size of the old G4. Actually i hope they come up with something totally new! the G5s are HUGE. I hope with the use of the Intel Chips they can cut back on the size a bit.

CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!

anyone think well see them in August? This is the machine I'm saving my money for!!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 59
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    A friend of mine has OSX running on his AMD 3000, 1.5gb ram and an nvidia 6600, he tells me it is just as fast as any single proc G5 unit out there, and will only get faster as more BSD drivers are re-compiled and optimized by the "under ground"

MANY of my power-user friends have the same complaints that I do with the Apple "pro" hardware: no bays so no fast-swap internal storage, no 2nd optical drives, sound I/O... 2 HDDs MAX? and...this is for...power users?!?!?!?!? no HW raid?

Basicly, with a Power Mac (or the forthcoming macpro? promac?) I should be able to have one drive with the OS and APPS, 2 internal drives in RAID mirroring for data, and the ability to add a (hot or cold) swappable HDD bay for other disks: think one disk with the source media for each of three or four huge projects...for those of us on too pultry a budget to get a X-raid...

Give me all of that and good solid specs, and I will write a check for $2500+
  • Reply 26 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

Is this the right spot to say how excited I am to see the new look of the PowerMac (MacTower?)!!!!! I hope they take the look now and shrink it down a bit to the size of the old G4. Actually i hope they come up with something totally new! the G5s are HUGE. I hope with the use of the Intel Chips they can cut back on the size a bit.

They may seem big, but that is about the same general size as many other dual processor (as in dual socket) workstations. I have several (4yrs) old Compaq W8000 units that are a little shorter but a little longer too.

Maybe the current non-quads probably don't need to be as large but maybe Apple doesn't see a need to make two different tower case sizes.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In some ways the clone computers may not matter for Apple. These may be people who would not have or could not have bought a Mac under other circumstances.

As long as they are stuck at 10.4.3 and never update to a more current OS, it may be ok to let them have a taste of the Kool-Aid, some of them are likely to become legitimate paying Apple customers.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

MANY of my power-user friends have the same complaints that I do with the Apple "pro" hardware: no bays so no fast-swap internal storage, no 2nd optical drives, sound I/O... 2 HDDs MAX? and...this is for...power users?!?!?!?!? no HW raid?

It comes down to sales. Apple has sold millions of PowerMac G5's. If the PM had all of that functionality would there have been any significant increase sales?

The G5 has been around for nearly three years, I hope if a significant portion of the potential Apple customer base passed on the G5 for another tower because of features it lacked Apple would have made changes by this point.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

It comes down to sales. Apple has sold millions of PowerMac G5's. If the PM had all of that functionality would there have been any significant increase sales?

The G5 has been around for nearly three years, I hope if a significant portion of the potential Apple customer base passed on the G5 for another tower because of features it lacked Apple would have made changes by this point.

sadly, you are absolutly right.

I just wish that the $3000 powermac could have the same features as a $1600 custom-build...
  • Reply 30 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I just wish that the $3000 powermac could have the same features as a $1600 custom-build...

I do too. Those features may very well be coming, but a year or so from now.

It just seems like Apple is a little slow in the workstation market. It wasn't until the dual core units that they supported ECC memory and a single model Quadro video card. Up until that point they were about 10 months behind on the PCIe bus before they switched. While having four good sized PCIe slots is nice if you wanted to stock up on an eight-head display arrangement, Apple's implementation meant leaving behind all of the old PCI-X cards, it appears there are still more PCI-X I/O cards than the PCIe type.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Mac: Hello I'm a Mac

PeeMac: And I'm a PeeMac G6

Mac: Oh, what are you reading?

PeeMac: That Interweb thing

Mac: Some reviews of you?

PeeMac: Yeah, today I'm featured at osx86project.org, theinquirer.net, osopinion.com, osnews.com, arstechnica.com, macobserver.com, macnn.com, appleinsider.com, macfixit.com and macdailynews.com!

Mac: Well done mate
  • Reply 32 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

What kills them is all of the customization the do.

Expensive custom case made out of expensive industrial materials. Custom power supply. Custom Mobo's. Custom memory controller. They even make their own graphics cards.

This all costs a fortune.

Years ago, in my place, I had bought a Dell for the graphics department. We needed one PC because of the infamous incompatibility of Powerpoint presentations between Mac and PC (as well as version to version).

I also decided to try out a SuperMac. Except for the swing cover on the SuperMac, the cases were almost exactly the same. The only difference was in the plastics.

That's the reason why Mac's are more expensive. The fact that they do their own OS doesn't help either, but I think it's mostly in the expense of customizing almost everything.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Ah, but a Ford hot rod still isn't a BMW. 8)
  • Reply 34 of 59
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

In some ways the clone computers may not matter for Apple. These may be people who would not have or could not have bought a Mac under other circumstances.

As long as they are stuck at 10.4.3 and never update to a more current OS, it may be ok to let them have a taste of the Kool-Aid, some of them are likely to become legitimate paying Apple customers.

And some of them may be left with a bad taste in their mouth as their non-standard thrown together boxes don't work reliably and they blame it on Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

This rocks I like how it says "United States" PowerPC G6 Macintosh to give it some sense of credibility.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

This rocks I like how it says "United States" PowerPC G6 Macintosh to give it some sense of credibility.

I jokingly alluded to this earlier, but doesn't that look like Dell's vision of a 'Mac'? If Dell were ever to make a 'Mac', that's how I envision it would look. Kinda crappy, but inexpensive.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

umm...the underground (think Asian IRC relays) had 10.4.6 for beige boxen within 24 hrs of its release.

(edited to correct typo in version number)
  • Reply 38 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

umm...the underground (think Asian IRC relays) had 10.6 for beige boxen within 24 hrs of its release.

Wow! I really do hope you meant 10.4.6, or now I'm REALLY disappointed.

I may go and buy one of those Asian boxes myself!

I wonder if the OS would work with Apple's now, older Intel boxes?
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Wow! I really do hope you meant 10.4.6, or now I'm REALLY disappointed.

I may go and buy one of those Asian boxes myself!

I wonder if the OS would work with Apple's now, older Intel boxes?

oops
  • Reply 40 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by backtomac

I jokingly alluded to this earlier, but doesn't that look like Dell's vision of a 'Mac'? If Dell were ever to make a 'Mac', that's how I envision it would look. Kinda crappy, but inexpensive.

Dell could never make a 'Mac' even if they held a gun to Steve's head and got him to reveal all the secrets of Macness. Muuahhhahhhhhhahhhah