Briefly: WWDC info, .Mac file-sharing, PowerMac clone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by backtomac

I jokingly alluded to this earlier, but doesn't that look like Dell's vision of a 'Mac'? If Dell were ever to make a 'Mac', that's how I envision it would look. Kinda crappy, but inexpensive.

Dell could never make a 'Mac' even if they held a gun to Steve's head and got him to reveal all the secrets of Macness. Muuahhhahhhhhhahhhah

These's a big article on Dell's approach vs hp's, in the business section of the NYT today. Very interesting reading.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I jokingly alluded to this earlier, but doesn't that look like Dell's vision of a 'Mac'? If Dell were ever to make a 'Mac', that's how I envision it would look. Kinda crappy, but inexpensive.

Dell's current systems have more to them, appearance-wise, they are usually visually distinct from the generic off the shelf enclosures.

Keep in mind that the closest Mac equivalent is an acquired taste for a lot of people as well, it's often been poked fun of as an aluminum cheese grater.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Dell's current systems have more to them, appearance-wise, they are usually visually distinct from the generic off the shelf enclosures.

Keep in mind that the closest Mac equivalent is an acquired taste for a lot of people as well, it's often been poked fun of as an aluminum cheese grater.

I heard that as well, but it's unfair.

Most servers have that look. Dell's certainly do, as do IBM's.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

These's a big article on Dell's approach vs hp's, in the business section of the NYT today. Very interesting reading.

I assume you mean this:

NYT Story

There is not as much detail as I hoped.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:

I heard that as well, but it's unfair.

Most servers have that look. Dell's certainly do, as do IBM's.

I really don't see what's unfair about it, it really does look like a large cheese grater. If a duck can't be called a duck, then I don't see the point in trying to describe it.

The difference is that servers are usually kept hidden in a server room, the honeycomb doesn't dominate the enclosure appearance, and they don't try to position it as the avant-garde of aesthetics. Similar features do appear on my Compaqs and my old DEC Alpha, it's only visible on the rear, they have a bezel on the front to obscure that honeycomb inlet. I think the reason for using it is that it allows high volume low velocity air flow while still controlling RFI.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

I assume you mean this:

NYT Story

There is not as much detail as I hoped.

I don't know what that article is from. It's not the one I meant.

Sorry. I made a mistake in the attribution. It's in the WSJ. I have it here in front of me now. Sometimes when I read the papers with breakfast, I go from one to the other.

You would have to either have an online subscription to see the article (which is why people can't always supply links when others demand them, as subscribed databases don't show up in searches), or go out and buy the WSJ for today.

The title of it is

"As Dell's Growth Slows, Investors Turn to H-P"

Part of the thrust of the article is that as consumers buy a larger share of computers, store sales are up, and phone, or web based sales, are down. Unlike business, which knows what it needs, and is getting, consumers want to see, feel, and try out models, particularly when it comes to laptops.

That's why Dell's method of heavy discounting isn't working the way it used to. Dell's efficiencies are no longer that much greater than anyone else's, so the price differential isn't as great. Couple that with the fact that consumers feel more comfortable in going to a store, with the right to return it there, and Dell has a problem. Heavy discounting is now just losing them money in that space, rather than racking up more marketshare.

In the article, Dell doesn't seem to be aware of the problem, as witness this quote from spokesman Bob Pearson:

"It is clear that out model is being embraced throughout the world. We are confident that we are best positioned to grow and gain an even larger share of our $1.4 trillion industry in the years ahead."

But, the article says that:

"Now the business model is looking a bit winded."

There's a lot more, but I can't keep quoting.

You should get the idea though.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

I really don't see what's unfair about it, it really does look like a large cheese grater. If a duck can't be called a duck, then I don't see the point in trying to describe it.

The difference is that servers are usually kept hidden in a server room, the honeycomb doesn't dominate the enclosure appearance, and they don't try to position it as the avant-garde of aesthetics. Similar features do appear on my Compaqs and my old DEC Alpha, it's only visible on the rear, they have a bezel on the front to obscure that honeycomb inlet. I think the reason for using it is that it allows high volume low velocity air flow while still controlling RFI.

While I agree that those servers are usually in the server room, they always aren't, the grill is on the front of the devices, and dominates the look. The look isn't for beauty, it is for ventilation. Form follows function. That's the way a computer should be designed, especially when it is a professional machine. The Powermac has an industrial design, and look. I don't see what the problem is, and don't even see why people would comment about it.

Here, check this out:

http://www.dell.com/

and this (though I can't get a bigger image, look at the bottom, under the drive bays):

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserve...ardware/tower/

Which machines are the most attractive, since you sre commenting on that aspect?
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:

Which machines are the most attractive, since you sre commenting on that aspect?

BTW: the image on the Dell front page changes on every load, so linking to it is a toss-up if you were trying to highlight a specific unit, I got the HDTV image.

Personally, I like the IBM appearance. Apple does do well by using a different material and some different shapes, but it's again, that matter of taste. The Dell enterprise hardware has a different look that isn't bad but not ot my taste, I'm trying to remember what they are trying to evoke.

But this has gone a bit off track, I was commenting on how someone thought that a Dell "Mac" would certainly look ugly, when there is quite a bit of personal tastes involved as well.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Those IBM black boxes look hideous. Like a crappy PC casing you could buy for $35 off the shelf for building your own system. Black and boring.

The Dell desktops, *current* XPS, and servers look a bit better IMO.

These "concept designs for the future" look like total bollocks though. Check out the notebook design with the two curved thingys connecting the screen to the main unit. WTF The laptop on the far left looks half decent though. And the middle "jet engine" design... heh, I'll take a [cheese grater] over a [pasta maker] anyday.

(Hopefully image shows up below: )

• Reply 50 of 59

But this has gone a bit off track...

A common occurence here, nothing to worry about Threads frequently derail and go off on weird and wonderful tangents. For a while I thought we were in the "Dell losing business" thread. Then I checked this thread title. Heh.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

Those IBM black boxes look hideous. Like a crappy PC casing you could buy for $35 off the shelf for building your own system. Black and boring.

Again, a matter of taste, but they are hit and miss. I think some of the workstations look nice, or at least convey that they mean business and not intereted in gimmicks. I'm pretty sure that in person, the IBM units would prove to be better made than anything with off the shelf components. Still, the pricing of the POWER units make the G5 Quad look sensibly priced.

The thing I usually ask people that say they build computers how they liked doing the soldering work.

Quote:

These "concept designs for the future" look like total bollocks though. Check out the notebook design with the two curved thingys connecting the screen to the main unit. WTF The laptop on the far left looks half decent though. And the middle "jet engine" design... heh, I'll take a [cheese grater] over a [pasta maker] anyday.

I'm not sure what that was. It has lights, but that unfortunately doesn't have spoilers or fins, so it's not cool. The unit on the right might be a nifty, though proprietery desktop, but it doesn't look like a practical mobile unit.
  • Reply 52 of 59

...The unit on the right might be a nifty desktop, but it doesn't look like a practical mobile unit...

Yeah, there's something very weird about it...
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:

...The unit on the right might be a nifty desktop, but it doesn't look like a practical mobile unit...

Yeah, there's something very weird about it...

They are "concept" designs. They don't have to look real, because they aren't.

by the way Jeff, I tried Dells site several times. It always comes up with the pics of the servers on the top. I don't know what happened when you tried it.

Try this page instead, if that doesn't work.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...555&l=en&s=biz

I'm not leaving you out Sunil. You can look too.
  • Reply 54 of 59

http://www.dell.com/content/products...555&l=en&s=biz

I'm not leaving you out Sunil. You can look too.

Yeah as I see it(the Dell servers) they look better than the IBM servers. But like JeffDM says, the IBM ones are all business, no mucking around. And, umm... don't be so nice to me on the forums. People will start to, you know, get the wrong idea and stuff.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

by the way Jeff, I tried Dells site several times. It always comes up with the pics of the servers on the top. I don't know what happened when you tried it.

I know what you mean for the images. Jjust so you know, it does rotate images, just like the Apple and HP front pages do. It shows banners for X-Men, some server stuff, a 26" HDTV, some Inspirons. I've even tried it on my fall-back, Safari. It just takes one or two refreshes for me to see the next splash image.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

The laptop on the far left looks half decent though.

That's because it's pretty much a Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Originally posted by Placebo

Umm... but it has red on the top...
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Umm... but it has red on the top...

Yes. It looks as though they took an MBP, and added the red to the top.
  • Reply 59 of 59

Yes. It looks as though they took an MBP, and added the red to the top.