Briefly: WWDC info, .Mac file-sharing, PowerMac clone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple offers more WWDC details

At 10:00 PM eastern time on Tuesday, Apple updated its World Wide Developer's Conference Web site with details on more than 130 sessions planned for the annual developer expo.

All of the session listings include a brief description with the exception of "Mac OS X State of the Union," which is completely blank. Apple is expected to fill this gap when it unveils Mac OS X 10.5, currently code-named Leopard, during chief executive Steve Jobs' inaugural keynote address on August 7, 2006.

"More than 130 sessions are planned, as well as dozens of hands-on labs, so stay tuned, weÂ?ll be adding many more details over the next few weeks," the company wrote. It's offering $300 off the cost of attendance until June 23 when the price of admission will return to $1,595.

New easy iDisk Public folder web address

In a message on the .Mac blog today, Apple announced a new simpler way to access iDisk Public folders with a browser. Subscribers of the Internet service may now enter the URL idisk.mac.com/membername-Public to produce a page that automatically includes download links for whatever's currently in membername's Public folder. Â*

"All you need to do is give the URL for your iDisk Public folder to the friends and colleagues you share with," Apple said. "They'll see and be able to download whatever you put in there, whenever they visit the page."

User may also let friends and colleagues use their iDisk Public folder page to upload and share files themselves. To do so, select the iDisk pane in .Mac System Preferences and pick the Read/Write option for your Public Folder.

"You can even add password-protection if you want to limit access only to those you give the password to," Apple said. "If you add password-protection, your visitors will be prompted for a password when they first visit your Public folder."

The company notes that visitors should enter "public" (without the quotes) in the Name field when prompted for the Name and Password by Safari.

Illegal PowerMac clones surface

First iPods, now Macs. The guys over at the OSx86 Project caught wind of this unauthorized Intel-based PowerMac clone for sale on a South American Web site.

The $500 "PowerPC G6 Macintosh", an "Apple G6 Macintosh-Clone Computer" with a 3.8GHz Pentium 4, comes pre-loaded with something the seller calls "Mac OSX-86 Apple MacOS X Tiger 10.4.3."

Apple's legal department has apparently overlooked the illegal operation, which appears to have been going on for a while with the help of manufacturing facilities in China and South America. The seller lists its current "supply ability" of the machines at 10,000 units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    opuscroakusopuscroakus Posts: 317member
    Fuuuuuuuuuugly.

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10895...Macintosh.html

PowerPC G6 Macintosh

$499

Apple MacOS X86

Apple Mac Compatible Computer.

Apple G6 Macintosh-Clone Computer

G6 CPU:90nm 3800MHz SSE3 Central Processing Unit Intel Pentium4 3.8GHz SSE3 Prescott 64-bit PowerPC-G6 Processor Intel Inside 284KB Memory On-Chip

800MHz Express i915GV System Bus Mainboard

512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM Dual-Channel System Memory (6.4GBps)

250GB Maxtor NCQ 16MB 7200RPM SATAII-300 Hard Disk Drive (300MBps: Fastest System Storage Available! ) Intel ICH6 Quad-Channel Serial ATA Hardware Controller

Fastest 16X PCI Express 256-bit Graphics! Intel Extreme Graphics3 400MHz DDR 224MB VRAM PixelShaders2.0 DirectX9 GPU QuartzExtreme-CoreImage 3D Graphics PCI-Express Card PCI-E X16 & AGP 8X PRO SlotsPCIe16X/AGP8X PRO Graphics Bus

Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! Environmental Audio Extensions 2.0 Realtek ALC850 EAX2 Audio Eight-Speaker A3D Surround Sound

Pioneer DVR-110D 16X DVD+/-R & 8X Dual-Layer 9GB DVD+/-R-DL & 8X DVD+RW & 6X DVD-RW & 40X CD-R & 32X CD-RW Burner Optical Compact Digital Versatile Disc Ultra-Speed Combo-Drive

VGA-out 480Mbps Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Peripherals 6-ports High-Speed USB2.0 Fast Ethernet LAN Network 7.1 Audio Jacks 2-Serial 1-Parallel PS/2 3-button Scroll-Wheel Mouse, Keyboard

Thermaltake CL-P0071 Ultra-Quiet 120mm Copper CPU Cooler

12-DriveBay Aluminum 0.7mm ATX Case 550W Power Supply Dual Front USB2.0/Audio 16.2"(H) x 7.9"(W) x 16.9"(D) TriColor-Lighted Case Window Temperature Readout LCD Thermometer Display

Operating System: Mac OSX-86 Apple MacOS X Tiger 10.4.3

Software: Office2004 & PhotoShop9 CS2

• Reply 2 of 59
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    not only fugly, but it's total vaporware.

Those specs @ that price indicate total BS.

I wonder if Adobe & MS have noticed those people are *clearly* selling pirated versions of CS2 & Office?

• Reply 3 of 59
    opuscroakusopuscroakus Posts: 317member
    They are also selling a decked out quad core G5 with a 23" cinema display for $2200.

Yeah right...
  • Reply 4 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

not only fugly, but it's total vaporware.

Those specs @ that price indicate total BS.

I wonder if Adobe & MS have noticed those people are *clearly* selling pirated versions of CS2 & Office?

edit: But, oooh, that LCD monitor is too hard to pass up, I'm gonna' get me one, maybe three.

$429

World's Fastest 2ms LCD Beautifully-Crisp 1.31MegaPixel Display 650:1 Contrast 270cdm Brightness 1280x1024@75Hz Flat-Panel

better than using dell stackable coupons!

That doesn't sound as though it can't be done at that price. Remember, it's Chinese equipment, which is really cheap to build, and they are not paying Apple for the OS, or anthing else. It's also in South America where other costs are low as well. Other parts could be clones as well.

Also, in the PC world, you can get a six slot case and piower supplt for $30, new. Mobo's can go for as little as $50, depending on what features you need, and even a $150 board is getting close to the high end. Also, who knows where they are getting the chips, etc.

I just don't understand why Apple is apparently ignoring it, as it would seem to be unlikely that they aren't aware of it.

Unless they are curious about whether it will sell, and at that price, before they do anything.

It's also possible that international agreements won't allow Apple do do anything there.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    PowerPC AND x86. Wonder how they pulled THAT off.

But that begs the question: Could you make a Mac with BOTH PowerPC and Intel chips in it? The PowerPC software could run natively and the Universal/Intel software could run on Intel. So long as the OS is Universal, you're set, yes? No?

Probably wouldn't work, but an interesting posit.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Cheap components, falsified details, pirated OS, pirated apps, no support, and you're sending money to criminals in the hopes that they'll actually supply a product back to you.

Sign me up!
  • Reply 7 of 59
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That doesn't sound as though it can't be done at that price. Remember, it's Chinese equipment, which is really cheap to build, and they are not paying Apple for the OS, or anthing else. It's also in South America where other costs are low as well. Other parts could be clones as well.

Also, in the PC world, you can get a six slot case and piower supplt for $30, new. Mobo's can go for as little as $50, depending on what features you need, and even a $150 board is getting close to the high end. Also, who knows where they are getting the chips, etc.

I just don't understand why Apple is apparently ignoring it, as it would seem to be unlikely that they aren't aware of it.

Unless they are curious about whether it will sell, and at that price, before they do anything.

It's also possible that international agreements won't allow Apple do do anything there.

Interesting perspective. I still believe it's total vaporware. I've always held that if something seems to be too good to believe, it usually is.

Even given inexpensive (or shall I say cheap) Chinese parts & pirated OS, etc. - it's just way too low a price point to hassle with assembling, shipping & handling & all the risk that arises from selling something like this. Then again, who knows what, if any, laws they are subject to.

imho, they'd be better off just trying to sell pirated versions of the Mac OS & the Adobe/MS stuff....Lower overhead & far less work at the end of the day.

edit: Guess we can only speculate until someone admits they actually purchased & received one.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    The Pentium 4 processor is dirt cheap, and you can get a dirt cheap mobo for $50. Yeah, it will suck, but it's cheap.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    eatrainseatrains Posts: 5member
    The "picture" of it looks to be CG. But not even good CG. Looks like it was made in Paint.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    The specs include things like a Creative sound card with surround sound capabilities, which is silly in a Mac that includes 5.1 optical outputs.

It looks like what they basically did is take a $500 PC (worth about $350 in parts) off the shelf and load a hacked MacOS X on it.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    When did Dell get a license to sell computers with OSX?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

PowerPC AND x86. Wonder how they pulled THAT off.

But that begs the question: Could you make a Mac with BOTH PowerPC and Intel chips in it? The PowerPC software could run natively and the Universal/Intel software could run on Intel. So long as the OS is Universal, you're set, yes? No?

Probably wouldn't work, but an interesting posit.

Before this post just gets thrown out as n00b trolling, I thought I'd reply that it has been tried before. Sun used to have a board you could put in an UltraSPARC system (called something witty like "PCi"). The board had an x86 processor on it (I believe they even had an AthlonFX at one point) with some RAM. There was then software that would allow you to run Windows (or any other x86 OS, presumably) on this board while you were running Solaris on your UltraSPARC. The software also provided such niceties as drive sharing, keyboard/mouse sharing ... and video sharing, IIRC.

Kind of interesting - not exactly what you were dreaming about, I'm sure - but kind of interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    And Apple used to make a computer that had both 68k and x86. A client of mine owned one. It let you seamlessly switch between MS DOS and Windows 3.1 and Mac OS 7.5, and shared the same keyboard, mouse, everything. I believe it also shared the same hard drive, though the RAM might have been separate.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    macduffmacduff Posts: 30member
    Nice to see Alibaba putting his forty thieves back to work!
  • Reply 15 of 59
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacDuff

Nice to see Alibaba putting his forty thieves back to work!

Criminals, enough said.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Criminals, enough said.

Bullshit. Enough said.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    macduffmacduff Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Criminals, enough said.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Bullshit. Enough said.

A criminal amount of bullshit. 'Nuff said.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrazyWingman

Before this post just gets thrown out as n00b trolling,...

If you're calling ME a "n00b," check out the info below my name.

<------------

• Reply 19 of 59
    gamoguygamoguy Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

But that begs the question: Could you make a Mac with BOTH PowerPC and Intel chips in it?

Many Amigas used/use PowerPC accelerator chips in addition to their own 68K CPUs, also.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think it is impossible at that price, I mean, it claims to use the Intel Graphics, not some advanced ATI or nV hardware.

Still, if they are willing to infringe copyrights so blatantly, I wouldn't put it past them to commit fraud too.

The Creative Labs item seems odd, I know they had supported some of their hardware on the Mac, but I thought that was some time ago. With only the PowerMacs supporting PCI, I thought that only niche pro products supported high end sound on the Mac.