News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 210
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I could give a crap about a MacBook, unless it doubled as a tablet, I was more interested in Mossbergs (and Steve Jobs') mentioning of this home media thing. My wet dream here is a Mac(Book)-tablet, and a home media device at this press event. Maybe a new iPod. I'm in the market for a new one anyway.

I have no idea about this phone, but the press event could just be for the store. That actually wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • Reply 82 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Asus are producing the MacBooks for Apple.

Asus has a premium on their notebooks even higher than Apples.
  • Reply 83 of 210
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If Apple's sales depend upon events to build anticipation, then Apple is in big trouble. Apple's products should speak for themselves. no event is going to sell a bland, or poorly conceived product ? like the Cube.

Or the mini?

Who said Apple depended on an event to build anticipation? Just that a large event can help a product launch make a splash. That Apple seems to time product launches around key Mac events builds anticipation for new product just like major conferences/events in every industry (like say CES and CEDIA for home entertainment product launches).

Quote:

I see a few people say that. But, it's never been shown to be true. If fact, MS's mis-prediction, and component shortages have been universally criticised. It hasn't helped anything. what it has done, is the same thing that happens to Apple every time they do it. Those wanting to buy the product are angered. Some decide not to buy it at all.

No matter what you do folks will criticize you.

For example you are criticizing Apple for both holding off product launches (to "wait" for an event) and launching too quickly (before there is sufficient inventory in the channel) in the same post.

I hardly think many folks are going to decide that they will buy a PC because the Mac they want is in so much demand that the lead times are too high.

Quote:

Cute!

But true. Some number of InFocus (INFS) projectors were rumored to have ended up in a landfill because they overestimated demand and they didn't want to cannibalize sales of their new projector lines by putting the older model into the B stock channel.

In any case they did have to write down $15M worth of inventory in '03 and a similar amount in '02.

Then of course, there's the classic Atari story where they buried 14 truckloads of cartridges (after running over them with a bull dozer) in the desert.

That's not to say that you don't want sufficient inventory to capitalize on a hot launch but it seems to be the lesser of two potential mistakes.

Vinea
  • Reply 84 of 210
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

I haven't seen this around anywhere on these boards, but don't skewer me if I'm overlapping someone's post:

Do we know who's manufacturing the MacBooks? Because ASUS just released a 13.3" computer with webcam and Core Duo processors, and IIRC, aren't they Asustek (which manufactures some Apple products) as well? Specs are impressive w/ non-IG, but priced at $1900, which we know won't be anywhere near the price of the new MBs. That said, is ASUS' design similar to Apple's?

Oh, and did I mention they come in two colors?

Edit: linkage

Haha it's funny the people at Engadget in the comments are all talking about the same thing -- what this means for the Apple MacBook/iBook. Yes this is the Asus/Asustek that one of the contract manufacturers for Apple.

nVidia Go 7400 with 256mb ram. Nice. No way it will be in the MacBook though, looking at the rest of the specs at that price.
  • Reply 85 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinea

[B]Or the mini?

Who said Apple depended on an event to build anticipation? Just that a large event can help a product launch make a splash. That Apple seems to time product launches around key Mac events builds anticipation for new product just like major conferences/events in every industry (like say CES and CEDIA for home entertainment product launches).

If Apple is going to wait for, or arrange,events to release their products, then they become dependant upon them to do do, because their potential customers are forced to wait as well.

I'm not saying that they should never release a product at an industry event. I'm saying that they shouldn't arrange their own little events, like the last two, which went off poorly. That's very different. And, of course, there is the dev conf, and the Jan Macworld. New products are expected then as well.

But, let's say that Apple has a newly upgraded iPod model. Shouldn't they release it as soon as it is ready? Yes!

And, do they really need a special press event to unveil it? No!

Apple used to have four computer upgrade schedules during the year, when cpu's were still being speeded up on a regular basic, in the '90's, and through 2000.

Nerw machines were intro'd during Jan Macworld, the biggest one.

Then in Aprili, aroundbouts, there would be a speed bump, with other upgrades as well, such as memory, HD's, graphics card, etc.

Then in the July Macworld, other new machines would be intro'd, with the first machins getting another speed bump.

In Sept, all machines would get another speed bump.

In Jan. the cycle would start over again.

But the April and Sept speed bumps would never get more than a press release. That's as it should be.

New monitors, scanners, printers, would usually be released during the year, with, again, press releases. The magazines would be given pre-production models of ALL of Apple's new devices to test, and to prepare stories on for the release date. Ofter, they were allowed to write stories on those same un-released products before they came out.

Apple used to come to my Mac User Group, here in NYC, several times a year to show us new products before they were released.

Things were much more restricted when Jobs was running Apple back when, and after he came back.

There's no evidence that these restrictions and press events have helped sales at all. In fact, After Jobs came back, sales plummeted. It's really only recently that things have gotten so much better, and it's the products that are responsible for that, not these press events. He did the same thing before sales went up.

Quote:

No matter what you do folks will criticize you.

For example you are criticizing Apple for both holding off product launches (to "wait" for an event) and launching too quickly (before there is sufficient inventory in the channel) in the same post.

You may want to think I'm saying both things, but I'm clearly not. What I've been saying, is that Apple should release them when ready, not before, and not after. That was pretty clear.

[QUOTE[

I hardly think many folks are going to decide that they will buy a PC because the Mac they want is in so much demand that the lead times are too high.[/QUOTE]

You're wrong about that too. People, and companies, especially companies, have failed to Buy Apple's products because they are are on a schedule, and Apple is well behind on delivery. Apple has even acknowledged that in the past. This was a major problem for them for a long time.

Mostly, people who buy machines are not "fans", who will put up with a lot. They walk into a store, and if what they want isn't there, they will buy something else. Once Apple loses a potential customer, it's difficult to get them back.

Quote:

But true. Some number of InFocus (INFS) projectors were rumored to have ended up in a landfill because they overestimated demand and they didn't want to cannibalize sales of their new projector lines by putting the older model into the B stock channel.

In any case they did have to write down $15M worth of inventory in '03 and a similar amount in '02.

Then of course, there's the classic Atari story where they buried 14 truckloads of cartridges (after running over them with a bull dozer) in the desert.

That's not to say that you don't want sufficient inventory to capitalize on a hot launch but it seems to be the lesser of two potential mistakes.

Apple dumped a million computers into the ocean in 1996, after Spindler screwed up during the holiday buying season in 1995, and came out with older 68040 machines, when people wanted the new PPC models. That is what started Apple's major slide.

But, you can't point to a few screw-ups. They're meaningless. If more are produced, in the beginning, they will be sold through next month, while production is cut back a bit to accommodate it. If the product is a good one, it will sell well. If not, then production levels aren't at fault, the conception of the product is.
  • Reply 86 of 210
    I'm feeling confused about the press event on Thursday. IMO what would be best for Apple this Thursday and best for the press is:

1. preview new Apple store

2. new iPod product announcement

3. new MacBook

4. possibly some other new thing

5. some "strategic innovation fun iLife etc" soundbite from Steve

Sorted. That's just my view of this Thursday, I'm not making any statements of how Apple should handle things outside of this Thursday in this post. To me, it would seem completely bizarre to get the press together just to show off "here is the cool new cube store. go nuts".
  • Reply 87 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I'm feeling confused about the press event on Thursday. IMO what would be best for Apple this Thursday and best for the press is:

1. preview new Apple store

2. new iPod product announcement

3. new MacBook

4. possibly some other new thing

5. some "strategic innovation fun iLife etc" soundbite from Steve

Sorted. That's just my view of this Thursday, I'm not making any statements of how Apple should handle things outside of this Thursday in this post. To me, it would seem completely bizarre to get the press together just to show off "here is the cool new cube store. go nuts".

Yes, I agree. If they DO have a press event, then it should have something to hold the presses interest, or the next time, they might not show. That's one of the problems with these press events lately.
  • Reply 88 of 210
    Hey Mel and other NYC folks... What does the cube look like at the moment? Is it completely covered in black or what? Send us some pics if you happen to pass by 5th Ave, you know, if you're in that part of the city blowing cash on expensive fashion and/or whatever 5th ave is famous for ... Also Apple's dedicated "opening" page in case people haven't seen it, complete with countdown to opening: http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthave.../20060521.html
  • Reply 89 of 210
    Quote:

Hey Mel and other NYC folks... What does the cube look like at the moment? Is it completely covered in black or what? Send us some pics if you happen to pass by 5th Ave, you know, if you're in that part of the city blowing cash on expensive fashion and/or whatever 5th ave is famous for ... Also Apple's dedicated "opening" page in case people haven't seen it, complete with countdown to opening: http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthave.../20060521.html

At times, you could see the glass. but most of the time you can't. The opening is so close now, that I'm not sure it pays.

It doesn't matter even if I take a pic, because I can't upload pics here, for some reason. My page says I can't post attachments. Lundy said he tried my account, and he did temporarally post one from it, but I don't have the "browse" button, and I haven't been able to find another way to do it. If you can figure it out, I'll try.

I was going to take my daughter to the opening friday, because her high school is right behind Lincoln Center, not that far away. But, when I read that people are camping out...

There's always another day.
  • Reply 90 of 210
    bellbell Posts: 8member
    I passed 70-290 with 1000/1000 today, and I can refer a good site, pass4sure.com

I am a fresh man for the certification, and my company need employee get MCSE2003 cert in 3 month, I start with some MOC books and frustrated with huge contents. and I failed at the first try for 70-290, but I met a friend who taking 70-290 also, he passed easily, and I know from him a good site named pass4sure.com, I used 70-290 from Pass4sure, every questions WORD 4 WORD was on the test. Unlike testking where you have to read huge number of questions (which more than half will never be on the test) these were easy to read b/c only about 200 even fewer questions. They also don't change any wording or layout like testking.
  • Reply 91 of 210
    Spam alert
  • Reply 92 of 210

...I haven't been able to find another way to do it. If you can figure it out, I'll try...

You mean all along you haven't been able to post pics? Use www.photobucket.com Not the prettiest site, but very functional and not annoying. Upload your pics to it. Then, in the My Album, you can just cut and paste the [img] tagline into the appleinsider forum.

So images are just served out of the photobucket servers using [img] tags in here forums. Easy peasy
  • Reply 93 of 210

But, when I read that people are camping out...

Heh. I'd like to see pics of the massive camping out. My brother thought he'd check out the London opening but gave up as well. I bet you'd see some guys turn up fully stocked with food, water, campgear, on Wednesday evening, maybe even earlier!!
  • Reply 94 of 210
    Quote:

...I haven't been able to find another way to do it. If you can figure it out, I'll try...

You mean all along you haven't been able to post pics? Use www.photobucket.com Not the prettiest site, but very functional and not annoying. Upload your pics to it. Then, in the My Album, you can just cut and paste the [img] tagline into the appleinsider forum.

So images are just served out of the photobucket servers using [img] tags in here forums. Easy peasy

That seems to be a roundabout way of doing what is supposed to be done within the site itself.

It's worth a try though.

Don't you have the "browse button? does your page say that you can't add attachments?

The software for the forums is troublesome.

i'll try tomorrow to send a pic that way. If it works, I'll take some of the opening, if I can make it.
  • Reply 95 of 210
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Browse button? Attachments?
  • Reply 96 of 210
    Nope, these are my forum rules:

(I don't see any Browse or Attachments )

Forum Rules:

You may post new threads

You may post replies

You may not post attachments

You may edit your posts
  • Reply 97 of 210

i'll try tomorrow to send a pic that way. If it works, I'll take some of the opening, if I can make it.

Don't worry if it's too much trouble. I'm sure there'll be plenty of website coverage of the opening itself. Just curious what it looks like now. Probably just a big black cube
  • Reply 98 of 210
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Don't worry if it's too much trouble. I'm sure there'll be plenty of website coverage of the opening itself. Just curious what it looks like now. Probably just a big black cube

Actually, I think it is a transparent glass cube.
  • Reply 99 of 210
    Originally posted by netdog

I meant it's a big black cube now 'coz it's all covered up in black cloth. Can't see the glass...
  • Reply 100 of 210
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

I meant it's a big black cube now 'coz it's all covered up in black cloth. Can't see the glass...

Me dumb. So sorry.