News Flash: Apple to hold press event next Thursday

Comments

• Reply 101 of 210
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    integrated graphics is ok as long as they give you the option to have dedicated graphics.. Graphics card is not just for gamers.. 3d design software needs decent hardware acceleration. If apple do not include an option for dedicated graphics thats like saying "don't buy our product if you want to do 3d design buy a sony instead". I'm currently on a 1st gen mac mini (1gig of RAM and overclocked GPU) and trying to do 3d design on it is difficult with the lack of VRAM, integrated would probably be worse. To all those morons out there who think a one button mouse is insanely great, maybe if you did anything with your computer other than browse this forum you might realise that quite a few applications are crippled without scroll wheel and 3 buttons. Personally I like 5 buttons, but apple until recently enforced me to buy an overpriced 1 button mouse every time I buy a mac. With the macbook issue I hate trackpads anyway so for me this is a moot point, and actually I do like the sound of the 2 finger right click as long as there is no delay between clicking and the react time. Really I'm just annoyed at the obstinence of people who think that just because THEY don't need dedicated VRAM or extra mouse buttons, that noone else will want them, and this is a very annoying part of apples way of selling machines as well. I know for a fact that a lot of people would rather buy a mac without the crappy apple mouse then buy a better one from logitech or msoft for less money. It would be ok if apple charged less for their peripherals or made decent ones. Apple may have championed the use of the mouse but for the last 15 years their mice have been inferior to 3rd party ones, yet they still charge you an extra £50 on top for their keyboard and mouse. I can buy a wireless mouse from ebay for like £10, but an apple one is like £20-30 and it has one button!

Seriously, I am a hardcore mac user and I can promise you that mac os X is waay better with a 5 button mouse. (In finder I have left click, right click, and 3 different exposé clicks - so much better than reaching for the control and/or f9-f11 keys)
  • Reply 102 of 210
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Why are architects so fractious?
  • Reply 103 of 210
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Archstudent, you sound like you need a PowerMac G5 with a decent video card and vram. It's true that Apple does not provide "enough" sometimes but if it's not enough for you and you like the Mac you just have to bite the bullet and shell out for a better Mac so you can do what you do. Otherwise, you can do it on a PC.

I don't mean to sound mean, but just some thoughts. The Apple mouse thing, yeah, just get a Logitech or something. Sorted.
  • Reply 104 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Archstudent, you sound like you need a PowerMac G5 with a decent video card and vram. It's true that Apple does not provide "enough" sometimes but if it's not enough for you and you like the Mac you just have to bite the bullet and shell out for a better Mac so you can do what you do. Otherwise, you can do it on a PC.

I don't mean to sound mean, but just some thoughts. The Apple mouse thing, yeah, just get a Logitech or something. Sorted.

Well obviously I wld be better with a pmac, but I'm a student and a machine of that price is out of the question, plus I need something portable for when I go home in holidays. At the moment I'm thinking about a 13" macbook, but obviously it depends how it is specced and priced, and having dedicated graphics would make it a lot more attractive/feasible.
  • Reply 105 of 210
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

...To all those morons out there who think a one button mouse is insanely great, maybe if you did anything with your computer other than browse this forum you might realise that quite a few applications are crippled without scroll wheel and 3 buttons...

I'm a professional Graphic Designer, aka Moron (thanks) and I have been using a 1 button mouse quite effeciently for over 10 years. My latest computer at work has a "Mighty Mouse" and I have turned the second button off becouse of its tendency to right click when I'm trying to left click. I do enjoy the scroll wheel, and use a Microsoft 2 button mouse at home that I like. Apple's 1 button mice were of very high quality by the way and a good user can work quite effeciently with the keyboard and the mouse in unison to have all the function of a 2 button mouse. In fact that keeps one hand on the keyboard for using keyboard shortcuts which are a lot more effecient than "Mousing around" the menues or even contextual menues to get work done. But then again you have to know the programs well enough to use them.
  • Reply 106 of 210
    mighty mouse has been generally snubbed by most multi-button mouse users, because it isn't great to use at all compared with most other mice. And with regards to quality of mice... I don't understand how anyone can call this mouse "quality":

Anyway, graphic design doesn't require scroll wheel or extra buttons in the same way as CAD programs do. I do keep my left hand on the keyboard, but sometimes you need the extra mouse buttons as well as the keyboard. Scroll wheel is more or less indispensible for me.
  • Reply 107 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I'm feeling confused about the press event on Thursday. IMO what would be best for Apple this Thursday and best for the press is:

1. preview new Apple store

2. new iPod product announcement

3. new MacBook

4. possibly some other new thing

5. some "strategic innovation fun iLife etc" soundbite from Steve

Sorted. That's just my view of this Thursday, I'm not making any statements of how Apple should handle things outside of this Thursday in this post. To me, it would seem completely bizarre to get the press together just to show off "here is the cool new cube store. go nuts".

While I largely agree with your list, I think there are two other items that might be discussed on Thursday -

6. Strategic Partnership with The Shriner's Burn Instutute AND Levi's Jeans to develop "iLevi 451 Macbook Compatible Button Fly Jeans". These dungarees are a blend of flame retartdent cotton with Teflon/Kevlar thigh panels containing thermal pipes and heat sinks to move the excess heat of the MacBook Pro from your lap to to a heatsink and fan built into a ceramic beltbuckle (buckle is also a 4 gig iPod). 10% of each purchase will be donated to the Shriner's Burn Institute.

7. Announcement of an internal training initiative named iPaste to correctly instruct the assembly line teams to properly apply thermal paste to processors and heat pipes.
  • Reply 108 of 210
    Quote:

mighty mouse has been generally snubbed by most multi-button mouse users, because it isn't great to use at all compared with most other mice. And with regards to quality of mice... I don't understand how anyone can call this mouse "quality":

Anyway, graphic design doesn't require scroll wheel or extra buttons in the same way as CAD programs do. I do keep my left hand on the keyboard, but sometimes you need the extra mouse buttons as well as the keyboard. Scroll wheel is more or less indispensible for me.

No recognition of the insult, thanks again from a Moron (for future reference that is with a CAPITAL M, show at least a minimum of respect). I notice that you had to pull up a design that is relatively old to prove your point. The mouse 1 generation after that, or t he Apple Pro Mouse was an excellent design, the one before that was good for it's day. When you are inovating then sometimes you come up with a dud, though I'm suprised that one made it past the human interface designers at Apple, it looks like something that Marketing came up with to "Minic" the look of the original iMac, but having used one they are more than useless.

As for CAD programs, they are better suported on PC's than they are on Macs, and more accepted in industry on PC's than on Macs. As a student in Archetecture you would be well advised to get a PC for your CAD work so that you are ready for that reality when you enter the job market. Also, Graphic tablets, aka. digitizers, used to be prefered for CAD work for thier precision over mice. The "Pucks" or mice that they come with also offer more functionality than even a 4 button mouse, and when you add on the programable "menue" at the top of the tablet you have even more function. CalComp used to be one of the big CAD digitizer producers (they made small ones, but also some the size of drawing tables) and their products were a lot less expensive than Wacom tablets.
  • Reply 109 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

No recognition of the insult, thanks again from a Moron. The mouse 1 generation after that, or t he Apple Pro Mouse was an excellent design, the one before that was good for it's day. When you are inovating then sometimes you come up with a dud, though I'm suprised that one made it past the human interface designers at Apple, it looks like something that Marketing came up with to "Minic" the look of the original iMac, but having used one they are more than useless.

As for CAD programs, they are better suported on PC's than they are on Macs, and more accepted in industry on PC's than on Macs. As a student in Archetecture you would be well advised to get a PC for your CAD work so that you are ready for that reality when you enter the job market. Also, Graphic tablets, aka. digitizers, used to be prefered for CAD work for thier precision over mice. The "Pucks" or mice that they come with also offer more functionality than even a 4 button mouse, and when you add on the programable "menue" at the top of the tablet you have even more function. CalComp used to be one of the big CAD digitizer producers and their products were a lot less expensive than Wacom tablets.

man are you really so insecure that you take a comment like the one I made as an insult? Jesus lighten up a bit mate. Anyway are you saying that, because I use CAD I should buy a PC? As far as the tablet thing goes I'm not too bothered I'd rather just use a functional mouse.
  • Reply 110 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

While I largely agree with your list, I think there are two other items that might be discussed on Thursday -

6. Strategic Partnership with The Shriner's Burn Instutute AND Levi's Jeans to develop "iLevi 451 Macbook Compatible Button Fly Jeans". These dungarees are a blend of flame retartdent cotton with Teflon/Kevlar thigh panels containing thermal pipes and heat sinks to move the excess heat of the MacBook Pro from your lap to to a heatsink and fan built into a ceramic beltbuckle (buckle is also a 4 gig iPod). 10% of each purchase will be donated to the Shriner's Burn Institute.

7. Announcement of an internal training initiative named iPaste to correctly instruct the assembly line teams to properly apply thermal paste to processors and heat pipes.

ROFLMAO iPaste will also need to train teams for correct thermal paste application to the iLevi 451 MacBook Button Fly Jeans.
  • Reply 111 of 210
    Quote:

man are you really so insecure that you take a comment like the one I made as an insult? Jesus lighten up a bit mate. Anyway are you saying that, because I use CAD I should buy a PC? As far as the tablet thing goes I'm not too bothered I'd rather just use a functional mouse.

Not insecure at all, and I did't really take it personal. Just trying to make a point, it is best not to make statements that could be perceived as personal attacks, especially when there is no need for it and you are stating your preference and or opinion. There are obviously a lot of smart capable professionals that will have one that is different from yours. There have been long pages on this forum written for and against the multi-button mouse, and some of the statements against them were well written and backed up my ergonomics as well as standards of good programing. In the end it all comes down to personal preference in the way you work.

I'm suggestion that you get a PC and a copy of the most industry standard software for your future profession. I think that is would be beneficial for you both in the long and short term. If I were a student in a field that was dominated by software on one platform I would have a computer and the appropriate software at home so that I was always using that and became as proficient and knowledgeable as I could on that platform and software before I entered the job market. That doesnt mean that I wouldnt own a second computer, and today I would buy an iMac Core Duo so that I could dual boot into whatever OS I needed at the time.
  • Reply 112 of 210
    Maybe the press event is Steve saying:

"Look, we f**d up. We're going to think different and act different. We went nuts with the thermal paste and it's come back to burn us in the balls. We're admitting it, and we're going to fix it. We've got great processors, great heatsinks and great heatpipes and fans in the MacBook line. We're going to follow what every PC overclocker does and apply the thermal paste right, and fix your MacBooks."

"As for the whine issue, go f*** yourself...!!"

As you can see I'm going insane here waiting for the bloody announcement of the Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook MacbookMacbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook Macbook <ctrl-c>
  • Reply 113 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Not insecure at all, and I did't really take it personal. Just trying to make a point, it is best not to make statements that could be perceived as personal attacks, especially when there is no need for it and you are stating your preference and or opinion. There are obviously a lot of smart capable professionals that will have one that is different from yours. There have been long pages on this forum written for and against the multi-button mouse, and some of the statements against them were well written and backed up my ergonomics as well as standards of good programing. In the end it all comes down to personal preference in the way you work.

I'm suggestion that you get a PC and a copy of the most industry standard software for your future profession. I think that is would be beneficial for you both in the long and short term. If I were a student in a field that was dominated by software on one platform I would have a computer and the appropriate software at home so that I was always using that and became as proficient and knowledgeable as I could on that platform and software before I entered the job market. That doesnt mean that I wouldnt own a second computer, and today I would buy an iMac Core Duo so that I could dual boot into whatever OS I needed at the time.

My original point was that it is irritating when people assume that noone else needs a multi button scrolling mouse or dedicated VRAM, just because they themselves do not need/like them. I also pointed out that apple are slightly guilty of this because they do not always give you enough options when buying a mac. In that respect your argument above seems to agree with mine. It is not single button mice themselves that annoys me, OR people who use them, but it is when ppl assure me that we don't need things like functional mice or dedicated VRAM and that therefore Apple shouldn't give us options because we don't need them. That was the point of my original post I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.

As regards platforms I am personally highly flexible and I learn how to use software very quickly, therefore, I will continue to use a mac using the mac software that I'm currently finding very productive until I have a reason to do otherwise. In any case, any time I need to use windows XP, it would almost certainly involve using an intel mac, but I'm waiting for the mac software to go intel native before I do this. What I'm really setting my eyes on for future is a intel ibook or whatever they decide to call it once it comes out.
  • Reply 114 of 210
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

[B What I'm really setting my eyes on for future is a intel ibook or whatever they decide to call it once it comes out. [/B]

If your notebook requirements demand dedicated graphics you better start looking at a MBP. The concensus is that the Macbook will sport intel IG with perhaps a BTO option of a video card but even that is iffy.
  • Reply 115 of 210
    1)mbp is 15"

2)mbp is too expensive for students

3)you are speculating about the spec of this machine

4)in any case I will wait and see what is available if and when I get a new machine
  • Reply 116 of 210
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    None of the current Apple mice are worth a crap ergonomically. They do not support the wrist or the ball of the hand. Are they pretty? Yes. Are their innards technically good at mousing? With the exception of the Mighty Mouse right-click fiasco, yes.

But they do not help the body avoid repetitive stress.
  • Reply 117 of 210
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

My original point was that it is irritating when people assume that noone else needs a multi button scrolling mouse or dedicated VRAM, just because they themselves do not need/like them. I also pointed out that apple are slightly guilty of this because they do not always give you enough options when buying a mac. In that respect your argument above seems to agree with mine. It is not single button mice themselves that annoys me, OR people who use them, but it is when ppl assure me that we don't need things like functional mice or dedicated VRAM and that therefore Apple shouldn't give us options because we don't need them. That was the point of my original post I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.

Apple held onto the one button mouse for so long for very good reasons, it was part of their design standards built into the OS, and the philosophy of the OS having standard interface options so that software operates in a coherent and predictable manner. Thus there are certain modifier keys that work with the keyboard and mouse to add functionality. If you need something more get it, there are drivers that give you extra function and customization. However, that personal customization adds a level of complexity and unreliability in how the program and mouse interact which you did not have with the standard one button mouse option from Apple. I'm sure there is someone else on the boards here that can put it more concisely and coherently than I have, but suffice it to say that it was part of the software interface and philosophy of the OS that Apple avoided the multi-button mouse for so long.
  • Reply 118 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

None of the current Apple mice are worth a crap ergonomically. They do not support the wrist or the ball of the hand. Are they pretty? Yes. Are their innards technically good at mousing? With the exception of the Mighty Mouse right-click fiasco, yes.

But they do not help the body avoid repetitive stress.

I think you raise a good point, but there are certain advantages, for one, a middle click on most scroll wheels requires about twice the force as a standard button click, on the Mighty Mouse, it is the same force. I middle click a lot and I think the mighty mouse has made a difference. That and the scroll ball are the reasons why I didn't return it.
  • Reply 119 of 210
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

1)mbp is 15"

2)mbp is too expensive for students

3)you are speculating about the spec of this machine

4)in any case I will wait and see what is available if and when I get a new machine

I feel for you as a student. I was a student once as well, living la vida poor. However, as an architechure student your requirements are a bit different than the average student. They can easily get by with integrated graphics. While it pushes you to a higher price you really need a MBP. If you look at it as an investment, it isn't so bad. You will probably get 4-5 years of good service out of it, maybe more.
  • Reply 120 of 210
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

If you look at it as an investment, it isn't so bad. You will probably get 4-5 years of good service out of it, maybe more.

4 years = 2010

5 years = 2011

uh, no way man. the world will be exponentially different than it is today. go read kurtzweil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_kurtzweil