Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Comments

• Reply 21 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Macworld is in January.

Yeah. I was thinking about the dev conv.
  • Reply 22 of 190
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    (January)

"What, no ultra portable??!! Apple sucks! They let us down again! They never come through with the products that other people tell them they're making!"
  • Reply 23 of 190
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I would go macbook thin if it had a dedicated gpu and a good display, which it probably won't have neither of. I would consider a macbook if it had a dedicated gpu and a good display too. MacBookPro 15 is too heavy, but I need that gpu since I'm working with gfx and video all the time. My line, powerbook 12, is ended and not replaced. Just when I need to update. Dang...
  • Reply 24 of 190
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

MacBookPro 15 is too heavy, but I need that gpu since I'm working with gfx and video all the time. My line, powerbook 12, is ended and not replaced. Just when I need to update. Dang...

Check the specs. MacBook Pro 15" is only very slightly heavier than MacBook, the difference is less than 10%.
  • Reply 25 of 190
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Some of you all are nuts. If you have a 10" ultra portable, you don't want a dedicated power sucking GPU that kills your battery. I want 1.5 GHz speed with 10+ hours battery life.

PS I don't need an optical drive built in either.

Signed,

Hardcore MacThin dude
  • Reply 26 of 190
    faederafaedera Posts: 9member
    Something like this?
  • Reply 27 of 190
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faedera

Something like this?

I don't need the rotatable screen thing, but the 7 hour battery life I could live with (10 would be better though and I would sacrifice speed for battery life).

I like the size, 8.9 doesn't sound so bad and I don't need a touch sensitive screen.

So, yeah, like that.
  • Reply 28 of 190
    ogun7ogun7 Posts: 6member
    I dub thee MacBook mini
  • Reply 29 of 190
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ogun7

I dub thee MacBook mini

Make mine a FlashBook

Seriously, I'm sticking a few gigs of flash into my trusty 12" PB in anticipation. Trusty and Rev. A ... what were Apple thinking?!?!
  • Reply 30 of 190
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

"We need to have devices that boot up very rapidly," Sean Maloney, the head of Intel's mobility group, told developers at the conference. "The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

.....because the 25 seconds it takes my MacBook to boot up is just waaaayyyyyy too slow, when i restart once every two or three weeks.....let's add a cool grand to the purchase price to (what?)- cut boot in half? [25 seconds x 25 times per year]= ~12 minutes per year now vs. 6 minutes spent restarting with flash?
  • Reply 31 of 190
    *Cries because he just bought a MacBook a month ago*
  • Reply 32 of 190
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I don't need the rotatable screen thing, but the 7 hour battery life I could live with (10 would be better though and I would sacrifice speed for battery life).

I like the size, 8.9 doesn't sound so bad and I don't need a touch sensitive screen.

So, yeah, like that.

I've two of these machines running XP. Must have the 3 cell battery because I don't get 7 hrs of life out ofa charged battery. Otherwise they're pretty nice so far.
  • Reply 33 of 190
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by natec

.....because the 25 seconds it takes my MacBook to boot up is just waaaayyyyyy too slow, when i restart once every two or three weeks.....let's add a cool grand to the purchase price to (what?)- cut boot in half? [25 seconds x 25 times per year]= ~12 minutes per year now vs. 6 minutes spent restarting with flash?

I doubt it'll add $1000 to the price. They'll probably add 4-8GB of flash RAM, which won't cost that much. Remember that the 4GB iPod Nano is only $250. Figure closer to $150 for the RAM alone. And Apple's been reportedly preparing to double the memory in Nanos for the same price. Keep a 2.5" hard drive for regular storage. 1.8" drives are smaller but are slower, cost more and don't save much weight.

You reboot every few weeks? My 12" PB's uptime counter currently says 162 days. Okay, I never bothered updating it with the latest security updates, but still. If you really wanted to mock the article, you should note that Mac laptops reliably sleep and wake from sleep, unlike Windows laptops, so they're already good to go the moment you step off the plane.
  • Reply 34 of 190
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Huh, reminds me of the 8" Mac tablet I have been going on about for the last four months or so?

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.0GHz ULV Core Solo CPU

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

Mac OS X 10.5

iLife '06

iWork '06

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

[/deadhorse mode]

specs may change, four months is almost an eternity in microprocessor time?

Huh?
  • Reply 35 of 190
    Here are some small ones looked at by PC Magazine:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1976109,00.asp

They may not match the ideal desired here, but they are as close as they get right now. Perhaps Apple could better them.
  • Reply 36 of 190
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    I think this would be totally cool.... I can't wait! I love small and light laptops. Although, it would be nice to have some kind of optical drive in it just for convenience. But, I do think the most important feature of it should be having a long battery life. My dream batt life would be 8 hours but anything close to that number would be great. Man, sounds like MacWorld is going to be exciting. Almost can't wait, but i'm enjoying the BlackBook in the meantime.
  • Reply 37 of 190
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Before switching I used an IBM X-Series ThinkPad - about 3 pounds. It's an excellent form factor and I would not be surprised to see Apple deliver a MacBook mini within the year. I loved the ThinkPad, but wasn't impressed with Windows and the associated malware - hence the switch. A MacBook mini would do very well - especially with university students - if it was done well.
  • Reply 38 of 190
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's interesting because I just read an article today as to how poorly the Robeson technology is working in Vista beta 2, as this is the MS OS that will support it.

Is it Robeson working poorly in Vista or is it Vista working poorly on Robeson?
  • Reply 39 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Huh, reminds me of the 8" Mac tablet I have been going on about for the last four months or so?

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.0GHz ULV Core Solo CPU

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

Mac OS X 10.5

iLife '06

iWork '06

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

[/deadhorse mode]

specs may change, four months is almost an eternity in microprocessor time?

Huh?

That sounds a little similar to the Nokia 770 internet tablet... only good. I have a 770 and it is a very impressive device and meets most every requirement of an adjunct tablet that I would want from Apple (minus the userfriendliness and insane price tag... this was $300..)
  • Reply 40 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Is it Robeson working poorly in Vista or is it Vista working poorly on Robeson?

Well, that sounds a bit semantic. It worked ok in beta 1.