Intel unleashes Mac-bound "Woodcrest" server chip

Comments

• Reply 61 of 565
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    What Apple really needs to do with the MacPro is make it short enough to flop over on it's side and stuff into a rack?

Or they could just suck it up and release a 3 or 4U rackmount workstation with some serious spec-whore goodness?!

Worse thing about the fracken' PowerMac G5 tower is those stupid handles?

What? Did they think a PowerMac with rackmount dims would cut into Xserve sales??!?

Oy?
  • Reply 62 of 565
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

What Apple really needs to do with the MacPro is make it short enough to flop over on it's side and stuff into a rack?

Or they could just suck it up and release a 3 or 4U rackmount workstation with some serious spec-whore goodness?!

Worse thing about the fracken' PowerMac G5 tower is those stupid handles?

What? Did they think a PowerMac with rackmount dims would cut into Xserve sales??!?

Oy?

Even though I don't think Apple is ready for that yet. That is a great idea who's time is about to come, and I think Apple could actually use it now. Order a Mac Pro and in your BTO options is 4U rack, or Standard Workstation case. It will probably be too tough to get all the same options into the 4U unit so there will probably be some sacrifices, but I think it could be a possibility.

Maybe next generation when Leopard is running at full blast, and the PC x86 world has seen, and heard the masses of bootcamp users. It could be a highly requested item.

You used to be able to get a G4 in a Rack from a 3rd party developer.

But those handles are actually pretty useful if you prefer the regular boxed machine. There was a time I couldn't live without them. I can't pick up, and move my Alienware anywhere like I did with my G4. If your in the Music industry, and you want to bring your own studio equipment, it's either in a Rack, or you carry it, and moving a computer up, and down flights of stairs, or anywhere for that matter without those handles is no picnic. Moving a computer anywhere is no picnic without those handles.

Think about this for a second. Hypothetically of course. What if a bunch of guy's were having a Unreal Tournament LAN party, or now with bootcamp - any game, and you were invited and wanted to go. Those handles just became your best friend. Personally I think the majority of users have used the handles, and appreciate their usefulness, but you know everybody is entitled to their opinion. I think they are part of the Pro Macintosh style, and in the end it's an ease of use thing that serves a function. Just as the Mac OS has an uncanny ease of use in many ways that we Mac users for get about everyday.
  • Reply 63 of 565
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Even though I don't think Apple is ready for that yet. That is a great idea who's time is about to come, and I think Apple could actually use it now. Order a Mac Pro and in your BTO options is 4U rack, or Standard Workstation case. It will probably be too tough to get all the same options into the 4U unit so there will probably be some sacrifices, but I think it could be a possibility.

Maybe next generation when Leopard is running at full blast, and the PC x86 world has seen, and heard the masses of bootcamp users. It could be a highly requested item.

But those handles are actually pretty useful if you prefer the regular boxed machine. There was a time I couldn't live without them. I can't pick up, and move my Alienware anywhere like I did with my G4. If your in the Music industry, and you want to bring your own studio equipment, it's either in a Rack, or you carry it, and moving a computer up, and down flights of stairs, or anywhere for that matter without those handles is no picnic. Moving a computer anywhere is no picnic without those handles.

Think about this for a second. Hypothetically of course. What if a bunch of guy's were having a Unreal Tournament LAN party, or now with bootcamp - any game, and you were invited and wanted to go. Those handles just became your best friend. Personally I think the majority of users have used the handles, and appreciate their usefulness, but you know everybody is entitled to their opinion. I think they are part of the Pro Macintosh style, and in the end it's an ease of use thing that serves a function. Just as the Mac OS has an uncanny ease of use in many ways that we Mac users for get about everyday.

There is (was?) a company that had a rack mount for the B/W's and G4's. They mounted sideways. They are smaller than the G5's though, and the handles come off. If Apple designed the G5 with removable handles (and feet, of course) It could have worked.
  • Reply 64 of 565
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am Pro-Handle?!

But I am against the size of the tower being too tall to flip on it's side and rackmount?

As for LAN parties, that is where the iMac would come into play? The iMac has carrying cases available which also protect the unit? And it packs everything in one bag, rather than a chassis, a (hopefully) flat-panel monitor & a bag of keyboard/mouse/etc. slowing one down?

"Would you look at that dork lugging his CRT to the LAN party??!? Loser?!"

;^p
  • Reply 65 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

There is (was?) a company that had a rack mount for the B/W's and G4's. They mounted sideways. They are smaller than the G5's though, and the handles come off. If Apple designed the G5 with removable handles (and feet, of course) It could have worked.

The G5 handles (and feet) ARE removable?

With a Sawzall?!

;^p
  • Reply 66 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

The G5 handles (and feet) ARE removable?

With a Sawzall?!

;^p

If you have one, and want me to take the handles off, I'll do it on my milling machine.
  • Reply 67 of 565
    I have a Dremel.
  • Reply 68 of 565
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Heh. Makes me think of that dodgy horror movie "Saw" and it's parody clip in "Scary Movie 4". Imagine some psycho chained you up somehow to your iMac, MacPro, MacBook or MacBookPro or G5 or whatever... Your choice would be either cut your Mac in half or cut your foot off to save your life... Don't answer too quickly, my friends... muah aha hahh ahaha hah ha ha ahha
  • Reply 69 of 565
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by onlooker

There was some handle discussion on the Mac Pro Mockups thread. There was quite a number of anti-handle people there. I remain pro-handle. Speaking of rackmounts, the XServe has not been updated in 288days, longer than the G5 which has not been updated in 252days.

It would be a juicy treat for sometime in July or WWDC for MacPros and XServes to come out simultaneously, all featuring Woodcrests, of course. Not a foreign idea to the Mac enthusiasts

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...14080502.shtml

Quote: "we need a hapta-core powermac. (5 cores)"

Reply: "hepta means 7. penta is 5."
  • Reply 70 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Heh. Makes me think of that dodgy horror movie "Saw" and it's parody clip in "Scary Movie 4". Imagine some psycho chained you up somehow to your iMac, MacPro, MacBook or MacBookPro or G5 or whatever... Your choice would be either cut your Mac in half or cut your foot off to save your life... Don't answer too quickly, my friends... muah aha hahh ahaha hah ha ha ahha

You're sick, sick! That's what you are! Our tender flesh is not to be flayed!
  • Reply 71 of 565

By "tender flesh" I assume you are referring to your Macs.
  • Reply 72 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

By "tender flesh" I assume you are referring to your Macs.

Oh, you are sick!
  • Reply 73 of 565
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I realise that there's always a faster computer around the corner, but I'm planning to get a new mac around Christmas/January Macworld time. Any idea if the Kentsfield/Clovertown processor is going to be pin compatible with Conroe/Woodcrest? In this new world of upgradeable Intel macs, with people putting Meroms into Mac mini's etc, it would be good if the Kentsfield/Clovertown processor would drop into a Conroe/Woodcrest Mac to upgrade the Mac in the future.
  • Reply 74 of 565
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'd much rather it be an option, such as removing them and put on rack mount tracks or to not have them on it at all. I do own an old DEC Alpha workstation that did have an available rack-mount option. The early CPLANT cluster used that specific machine. For the time, it was a relatively compact and even sleek unit.

As they are now, their usefulness to me is null. The sharp corners of the edges of the "handles" make carrying them more than a few steps pretty painful without augmentation. The curved corners of the "feet" make them less stable on carpet such that I've needed to augment them. Their weight and size would suggest that I'm better off using a two-wheel luggage cart to move it any farther than the next room. I'm going to be bringing in my PMG5 to the Apple store for service soon and I'm not certainly carrying it through a parking lot.
  • Reply 75 of 565
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Actually their could still be Woodcrest but Apple wouldn't use it in the iMac and here's why.

Woodcrest only makes sense to use over Conroe if

A) You need Dual Socket motherboards

B) You need as much FSB bandwidth as possible.

In a year we'll have Kenstfield and Covertown( Dual Conroe and Dual Woodcrest).

So if Apple wants a quad core system they'll just use Kenstfield or Clovertown. If they want a dual core system they'll us Conroe.

I'm not sure which is which, but not knowing how hot the consumer version of the Kentsfield/Clovertown gets (one is server/workstation, and the other is desktop, just like Woodcrest and Conroe) there should still be a second lower wattage version of the desktop model just like conroe has that will probably run cool enough to go into an iMac. I also believe that intel is going to be using ODMC on those processors as well if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 76 of 565
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Kentsfield is the Desktop Quad Core Proc. Clovertown is the Server Quad Core proc. The difference should mirror today's Conroe/Woodcrest strategy.

Kentsfield should not be SMP, Clovertown should be SMP with a faster bus. Oops saw you already got that down.

Well...

Yeah I think Kenstfield is a possibiliy ad I don't think heat will be all that bad. Apple can surely design around the inevitable extra heat.

Intel doesn't have any ODMC planned for a while. Rumor has it their CSI bus(hypertransport like bus) isn't a given.
  • Reply 77 of 565
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Kentsfield is the Desktop Quad Core Proc. Clovertown is the Server Quad Core proc. The difference should mirror today's Conroe/Woodcrest strategy.

Kentsfield should not be SMP, Clovertown should be SMP with a faster bus. Oops saw you already got that down.

Well...

Yeah I think Kenstfield is a possibiliy ad I don't think heat will be all that bad. Apple can surely design around the inevitable extra heat.

Intel doesn't have any ODMC planned for a while. Rumor has it their CSI bus(hypertransport like bus) isn't a given.

When will hyperthreading be resurrected. Seems like a good way to enhance performance without increasing power requirements or heat.
  • Reply 78 of 565
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

Any idea if the Kentsfield/Clovertown processor is going to be pin compatible with Conroe/Woodcrest?

The Bensley platform from Intel is designed for Dempsey (Xeon 5000 series), Woodcrest (Xeon 5100 series) and Clovertown (Xeon 5200 series??), so Clovertown should be compatible with Woodcrest motherboards. I believe same is true of Conroe/Kentfield.

See the article "Intel's Woodcrest processor previewed" on Tech Report.

• Reply 79 of 565
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

When will hyperthreading be resurrected. Seems like a good way to enhance performance without increasing power requirements or heat.

Hyperthreading on a Core Architecture processor is going ot be much harder. That's because we've taken the pipeline stages of the Netburst architecture down from a long 31 pipes to about 14 in the Conroe/Merom/Woodcrest core. That doesn't leave Intel a lot of room to utilize pipes that aren't being used (which is what HT technology does).

I think we'll see HT come back but it may take a bit of work.
  • Reply 80 of 565
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

When will hyperthreading be resurrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperThreading

Quote:

Hyper-Threading is a specialized form of simultaneous multithreading, which has been said to be on Intel roadmaps for the generation after Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest.