Apple re-releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 for Intel?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer forgot to include some files with its Intel distribution of Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update and is issuing a revised updater, the company said in an email on Thursday.



"The install package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system is being revised," the company said. "The revision is to provide several files related to OpenGL performance that were missing.



Only the package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system to Mac OS X v10.4.7 (Intel) is being changed, Apple said. All other Mac OS X v10.4.7 install packages remain unchanged.



So far, the revised updater has not appeared on Apple's Web site or through Software Update. The company said the new package will bear the name MacOSXUpd10.4.7Intel.dmg and carry an SHA1 checksum of "10aa57dfccd63accb0939a894cea202a8910fb45."



It's currently unclear whether those users who have already installed Mac OS X 10.4.7 on their Intel Macs will need to re-update or if they will be issued a patch with the missing files.



Apple did state that the change being made to the install package does not affect the security fixes provided in the package.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,180member
    Scary installing "the latest" update on G3 iBook... upon restart it looked like the admin functions had been zeroed out (erased). Then, re-restarting it seemed to address whatever bug occurred. Needless to say, it shook this investor's confidence...
  • Reply 2 of 51
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SpamSandwich

    Scary installing this update on G3 iBook...



    vs.



    Quote:

    Only the package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system to Mac OS X v10.4.7 (Intel) is being changed



  • Reply 3 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,180member
    Oh, Chuck.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    they...... forgot?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Getting kinda sloppy as of late.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    As far as I can tell, this only affects the delta update and not the combo.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Have they already updated the delta update on Software Update? I had waited (glad I did now!) and I'll wait until it's changed. I used to do these things right off the bat, but I became more cautious after the snafu that was 10.2.8.



    I started using Super Duper! to create a "sandbox" volume on my hd so that I can install updates to see if they break. If they do, I do a smart update from my master volume. It's saved my ass twice already, and it's cheap money too (under $30). I recommend it highly.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SpamSandwich

    Oh, Chuck.



    Point being: your report has nothing to do with the topic.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,614member
    Still nowhere to be seen. \
  • Reply 10 of 51
    I just d/l'd the standalone updater and re-installed 10.4.7



    Just to see if there is a difference, this is the build number: 8J2135a



    Can someone who previously applied 10.4.7 post their build number?
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Wondering

    I just d/l'd the standalone updater and re-installed 10.4.7



    Just to see if there is a difference, this is the build number: 8J2135a



    Can someone who previously applied 10.4.7 post their build number?




    I upgraded using the combo updater yesterday. My build number is 8J2135.



    Tonight, did you download the standalone delta or standalone combo update?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

    Originally posted by audiopollution

    I upgraded using the combo updater yesterday. My build number is 8J2135.



    Tonight, did you download the standalone delta or standalone combo update?




    The standalone delta... to be had from http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1047intel.html



    So your build lacked the "a" at the end?



    Just as a note... it took me several tries to download a file that would actually mount. Not sure why.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Wondering

    The standalone delta... to be had from http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1047intel.html



    So your build lacked the "a" at the end?



    Just as a note... it took me several tries to download a file that would actually mount. Not sure why.




    There is no 'a' at the end of my build number of the standalone combo update from yesterday.



    In the pursuit of knowledge, I'm re-downloading the combo update right now. I'll reinstall and see if I'm still at the same build number.



    As I mentioned earlier, I believe this issue only involves files missing in the delta upgrade. I don't expect to see any change in my build number after re-applying the combo.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Xool

    Getting kinda sloppy as of late.



    Yes indeed.



    Steve needs to fire a whole bunch of people at Apple Q&A. From hardware problems to sloppy mistakes like this, things are getting pretty bad at Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Alright. I applied the re-downloaded combo update and my build number still lacks the 'a'.



    Could anyone who updated yesterday to 10.4.7, via software update or by downloading the delta upgrade, please post your build number?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

    Originally posted by audiopollution

    Alright. I applied the re-downloaded combo update and my build number still lacks the 'a'.



    Could anyone who updated yesterday to 10.4.7, via software update or by downloading the delta upgrade, please post your build number?




    I just downloaded from the link at macfixit.com (delta) and it gave me the

    "Build 8J2135a" I checked the Checksum and it was correct for the new build.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,796member
    God Bless the Guinea Pigs. We love you guys.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

    Originally posted by audiopollution

    Alright. I applied the re-downloaded combo update and my build number still lacks the 'a'.



    Could anyone who updated yesterday to 10.4.7, via software update or by downloading the delta upgrade, please post your build number?




    I upgraded at about 5:30pm pacific the day of the release, and my build number is 8J2135.



    (for a MacBook Pro).
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

    Originally posted by canadianmacguy

    I upgraded at about 5:30pm pacific the day of the release, and my build number is 8J2135.



    (for a MacBook Pro).




    Thanks.



    So, it is only those who updated via software update or by downloading the delta update that are affected.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    The aritcle provided the new checksum... so use that instead of build numbers.



    Per Apple's instructions at: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n75510

    open Terminal and type:

    /usr/bin/openssl sha1 [full path to file]

    where [full path to file] is pointing at the installer dmg file in question



    You have the OLD updater if the result is:

    2a25ed61d586b71ba7282fb896b2c910785ff358



    You have the NEW updater if the result is:

    10aa57dfccd63accb0939a894cea202a8910fb45



    The Combo updater is fine, it has not changed. (The result should be 15b186d5f3a2314a060df3502eda190ad31a354d)



    The link on the Software Update page now goes to the NEW updater even though it isn't mentioned on the page. Go to: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1047intel.html to get it.
Sign In or Register to comment.