Magic Is Real

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How can consciousness be "debunked" when I'm experiencing it right now?

Here's Freeman Dyson talking about it.

There are a lot of academic papers on these internets about it. Little evidence yet, though.

--B
  • Reply 42 of 62
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Unfortunately, the few people that want to actually explore/develop ID are drowned out by all the rabid "can't-have-my-dogma-threatened" boneheads who just see it as a convenient vehicle to protect their ignorance and foist it on others.

So yeah...plenty of people seem to thrive on remaining stupid.

Yep, those stupid people have built a whole industry around overthrowing scientific theory by replacing it with pseudoscientific hyphothesis based on a literal reading of astrology. And then only manage to pull it off because average-joe doesn't know the difference between an allele from an Apollonius. Boneheads indeed, throw 'em to the lions - perhaps thats a metaphor for the constellation Leo!
  • Reply 43 of 62
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Sometime ago I read some books on QM, and following on from previous quirky ideas I have had about the universe - I propose an answer to the question of why time always seems to flow forward when the equasions of time are symettric forward and backwards, its the problem of entropy, why do eggs fall from the counter and smash on the floor, and not from a smashed egg on the floor rebuilding itself on the counter.

MarcUK crazy theory #117

Time doesn't flow in either direction. Time is a 'static' we flow through. We exist permanently in each slice of time as a feature of the universe while we are alive- and the reason it always appears to flow forwards is because we have experienced some of these slices of time we belong to and our memories of previous 'timeslices' do not allow us to revisit those time slices (although we are permanently existing as part of that slice) , because we do not recognise them as anything new once we have experienced them once and have memory of that slice.

It is the passage from constructed memories of events to new events we have not experienced that gives us the impression that time flows forward.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

Pick up a copy of "What The Bleep Do We Know?"

I will bid you gentlemen adieu.

Ah, yes, you're so bored to tears over our sad, narrow-minded inability to see the magic you so clearly see with your wise and open mind, you must quickly escape this place!

If Bleep is where you're getting your ideas from, no wonder you're confused. The movie is flashy special effects, wrapped around wishful thinking and fantasy, woven around a tiny kernel of truth, with a lot of misunderstanding of that kernel of truth and outright misrepresentation thrown into the mix.

From the Wikipedia article: (emphasis mine)

Quote:

...The film has received widespread criticism from physicists. Physicists claim that the movie grossly misrepresents the meaning of quantum mechanics, and in fact is pseudoscience...

...David Albert, a philosopher of physics and professor at Columbia University, speaks frequently throughout the movie. While it may appear as though he supports the ideas that are presented in the movie, according to a Popular Science article, he is "outraged at the final product." [6] The article states that Albert granted the filmmakers a near-four hour interview about quantum mechanics being unrelated to consciousness or spirituality. His interview was then edited and incorporated into the film in a way that misrepresented his views. In the article, Albert also expresses his feelings of gullibility after having been "taken" by the filmmakers.

I'm sorry, QM doesn't "explain", nor make any less a hoax, things like, oh, "channeling" the alledged spirits of 35,000 year-old warrior sages from the age of Atlantis so that they can speak to us through white American women using perfect English, albeit in comic opera accents, for the grand purpose of spreading banal platitudes as "wisdom".
  • Reply 45 of 62
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Yeah, although it's depiction of the double-slit experiment concerning the particle/wave duality was well done. . .

Being an electrical engineer by degree, I don't see how there's anything mystical about the slit experiments. You get similar phenomena when you take any kind of bounded, real-world entity and pass energy through it (take, for example, a gated transistor). The mathematics behind it are in fact very sensical.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Pick up a copy of "What The Bleep Do We Know?"

I will bid you gentlemen adieu.

I'd rather not witness a largely speculative branch of science be compressed into sensationalistic animation featuring anthropomorphized hormones, among other atrocities, a second time.

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Being an electrical engineer by degree, I don't see how there's anything mystical about the slit experiments. You get similar phenomena when you take any kind of bounded, real-world entity and pass energy through it (take, for example, a gated transistor). The mathematics behind it are in fact very sensical.

NO IT'S BECAUSE THE ELECTRONS ARE SELF-CONSCIOUS
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Placebo is an excelent example of Q P in action. Is he a Mac-head? Is he a PC-drone? Stop! He's both AT THE SAME TIME!!

--B
  • Reply 48 of 62
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I was just pointing out that they did a good job explaining/depicting the experiment itself (i.e. showed how simple it really was), but then got all bizarro at the end with electrons "perceiving" the observer and other foolishness.

Quote:

NO IT'S BECAUSE THE ELECTRONS ARE SELF-CONSCIOUS

That explains it all!
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Placebo is an excelent example of Q P in action. Is he a Mac-head? Is he a PC-drone? Stop! He's both AT THE SAME TIME!!

--B

I treat my computers like I treat my women: indiscriminately.

Oh god, I thought that would make sense...
  • Reply 50 of 62
    rufusswanrufusswan Posts: 132member
    I just got home, and as I was turning off the road into my driveway, I felt some sort of a 'thump' under a tire. My neighbor's cat likes to chase fireflies at dusk.

I hope I didn't run over Schroedinger's cat tomorrow when I might go to town the other day.

Paz
  • Reply 51 of 62
    I don't understand why people find Schroedinger's cat so thought provoking.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

I don't understand why people find Schroedinger's cat so thought provoking.

One word: metastate.

It's like the word "quark". If you're smooth, you come across sounding like a genius. If not, you just sound like an idiot.

Everybody likes to be profound.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Everybody likes to be profound.

Everybody wants a rock to tie a piece of string around.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Everybody wants a rock to tie a piece of string around.

I believe "prosthetic foreheads" is more germane.

--B
  • Reply 55 of 62
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

In the shadow one, doesn't he just tap her as soon as the other woman picks the card?

The one where the woman splits in half was f-ing hilarious. It was a midget I guess?? Notice how he picked someone else first and then said she was too short.

Good things DO come in little packages.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but faith can be a good thing, and some things in life can't be rationally explained.

Why not?

Even if they can not be rationally explains, there are other ways to explain.

Saying that it's magic is not rational, nor irrational explanation since "magic", by definition, means that one doesn't know how something works and can't explain... be it rational or not.

This is very cheap magic... yet many people fall for it.

Consider, for example, the ability to fit 100+ million discrete parts into an area of less than a square inch (aka the microchip in your PC)... how many people can explain exactly how that is possible or even comprehend how the electron tunnels through a P-N junction in a transistor and yet not many consider it magic sitting behind their PCs?

Strange...
  • Reply 57 of 62
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

If science governs everything, can anyone here explain or describe Quantum Physics?

Science doesn't govern anything. Science is a method for going about trying to build a model based on physical observation and interaction with the natural world in order to take advantage of it for the betterment of life for humans. Nothing more than that.

Quantum physics is the study of interactions and laws that govern the behavior very small things. Incidently we find more and more that similar laws govern very large things as well.

Quote:

Sorry, but I like to think outside the box.

While one may like to be able to do that, in order to be able to think outside of the box effectively, one must have a good idea of what constitutes this "box" in the first place. This is why it doesn't hurt to study physical sciences when you're young.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Good things DO come in little packages.

It's not the size of the package, it's how many legs it has.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Some of those are disturbing on some fundamental level...