Apple's Mac Pro to sport modified Power Mac enclosure

Comments

• Reply 181 of 300
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Looks like you actually have an Intel Core Solo chip in there instead of a Quad G5 Seriously though, you got Liquid Cooling, so......
  • Reply 182 of 300
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Except that the G5's are pretty quiet. quieter than most every equivalent PC or workstation I've seen (or heard).

I don't have a significant noise problems with Compaqs. They aren't noticeable unless the optical drive spun up. OK, at idle, the G5 isn't so bad, but any time the load exceeds 30% the fans spin up and that happens even for very short load bursts. I think it's irritating that the fans ramp up and down so often.

Quote:

The fan speeds vary as well, so they usually aren't running at the highest speeds. Apple uses the number of fans it does because as we know, it cools each zone in the machine seperately. That contributes to the quietness.

It doesn't need four small fans for two CPUs when they could have used two larger fans so they don't have to spin so fast to get the same flow. On my dual 2.5, they spin up to a pretty annoying high frequency.
  • Reply 183 of 300
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

Mel,

My Quad G5 fans at the rear of the case next to all the ports NEVER spin, even during the Apple Hardware Test. Yet, the CPU temps hover around 50 degree celcius. Does this seem normal to you?

Thanks, Billy

Yes. That's why Apple has devoted so much space to cooling. Unless you are hardboiling the machine with constant rendering tasks that need all four cores, and are in a not so cool enviornment, cooling is simply not an issue.
  • Reply 184 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Looks like you actually have an Intel Core Solo chip in there instead of a Quad G5 Seriously though, you got Liquid Cooling, so......

Don't forget that the G5 dual cores don't use much more power than the 51xx's do.

The original G5 chips used more power than the current ones. There's plenty of cooling capacity to spare.

That's why companies can offer these drive units that put two (or more) large capacity fast HD's right in front of the chip cooling path, and the reports are that the fans hardly go on more that they did without them.

With that being true, and I can attest that it is, it's too bad that Apple hasn't done this themselves.
  • Reply 185 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

[B]I don't have a significant noise problems with Compaqs. They aren't noticeable unless the optical drive spun up. OK, at idle, the G5 isn't so bad, but any time the load exceeds 30% the fans spin up and that happens even for very short load bursts. I think it's irritating that the fans ramp up and down so often.

It doesn't need four small fans for two CPUs when they could have used two larger fans so they don't have to spin so fast to get the same flow. On my dual 2.5, they spin up to a pretty annoying high frequency.

Do you have a Compac with dual dual cores? Come back after you do, and report on the sound. I can tell you that the BOXX sounds like a tornado.

If you read my post, you would see that only two of those fans are involved in cooling the chips and memory. The other fans are for the HD's and power supply.

Two big fans wouldn't work in this design.

Fans are supposed to ramp up and down. Thet do that in properly designed PC's as well. It does cost more to use those sensing circuits and variable power supplies, but it's better. Most PC's don't use them. Either the fans are on full blast all the time when they aren't needed, ot they just go off, and then on at full speed.

I haven't found the fans to be a problem at 30%, 60% is when they start to stay on for more time.
  • Reply 186 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Do you have a Compac with dual dual cores? Come back after you do, and report on the sound. I can tell you that the BOXX sounds like a tornado.

I don't have a quad, but this is with comparing a two processor unit with another two processor unit. The Compaq does have a thermal control, but it doesn't call attention to itself by ramping up at a second's notice.

If the quads did change to two fans for the CPU area, then that is a change over previous models.
  • Reply 187 of 300
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Maybe not, but that's what the source says.

While it's possible that the power connector could still be on the bottom (with a cable inside the case), when it came to drawing the mockups I decided to put the connector on top. The information received only specifed that the power supply was relocated to the top of the case.

Replacing the power supply in a current Power Mac G5 requires the technician to remove:

Front and rear fans

Front speaker

All PCI Express cards

Airport and Bluetooth card

Front panel board

Processor

Logic board

On a G5 Quad system, this comes to nearly 50 screws! Yes, you read that right. 50 screws just to replace a damn power supply, not to mention the time and space required to remove all those other parts and then to put them all back in.

8 years ago, I used to laugh at those beige PC boxes for having everything screwed in and requiring several dozen screws in order to take those PCs apart. But now the joke is on Apple, considering the difficulty of taking apart the latest iMac and Power Mac G5. I don't care which side of the case Apple puts the power supply in, as long as it doesn't require technicians to totally strip apart the damn computer in order to replace internal components.
  • Reply 188 of 300
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Haggar

Replacing the power supply in a current Power Mac G5 requires the technician to remove:

Front and rear fans

Front speaker

All PCI Express cards

Airport and Bluetooth card

Front panel board

Processor

Logic board

On a G5 Quad system, this comes to nearly 50 screws!

Oh my! Well that just pleads my case that the case needs to be more user friendly. They had a good thing going with the original iMac G5, then they really fucked it up with the newer design. These types of designs must cost Apple lots of time and money for labor replacing parts for warranty work.
  • Reply 189 of 300
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro

I like the idea of the second optical drive bay for future upgrading. I wish / hope that they can find a way to increase the internal HD bays to at least 3 instead of just 2. Also I wish / hope that there are 2 FW400 ports on the back + the one on the front.

jbcaro

I want 4! They have more room in this one, they may as well add more bays.
  • Reply 190 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

I want 4! They have more room in this one, they may as well add more bays.

I keep reminding people that third parties have been adding the ability to add two ot even three more drives to the G5 Powermac ever since it first came out, with no ill effects.

Apple may have their reasons not to, but it can be done even now.
  • Reply 191 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I keep reminding people that third parties have been adding the ability to add two ot even three more drives to the G5 Powermac ever since it first came out, with no ill effects.

Apple may have their reasons not to, but it can be done even now.

The issue I have with those is that they are pretty expensive. The cheapest I have seen is $99, and that's not including the drives or the (S)ATA card.
  • Reply 192 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The issue I have with those is that they are pretty expensive. The cheapest I have seen is $99, and that's not including the drives or the (S)ATA card.

Some have. But to anyone who can spend what it takes to buy a tower, a seperate monitor, plenty of RAM, and the extra HD's, the $99 for the cradle, and another $79 for the SATA card isn't much to add.

For a business, it's just pennies. For a hobbyest it's addiction. For someone just going on the web, well, they're better off with an iMac, or a Mini anyway.
  • Reply 193 of 300
    back to the hard drive bays again [sigh]

edit: this comment not directed at anyone in particular
  • Reply 194 of 300
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I don't think the enclosures will change appearance-wise because the banner hasn't shown them differently.
  • Reply 195 of 300
    Yeah dude, the banner shows the same ol' boring PowerMaco G5 enclosure
  • Reply 196 of 300
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Yeah dude, the banner shows the same ol' boring PowerMaco G5 enclosure

That doesn't matter. When they introduced the G5 there were G4's on banners. 8)

But I don't think they are going to change it until the next ones anyway. They have not changed anything else yet. Which s where that modified enclosure story comes from. Some common sense, considering the odds of the rest of the lineup, and a little bullshit thrown on top for good measures.
  • Reply 197 of 300
    Heh. We'll see. The suspense is already fracking killing me. Good thing I'm going to go for a short run before lunch to clear my mind. Placebo, I am a new member of OMG WWDC OMG!!

Re: Enclosures: Yes, we may see a slightly re-jigged enclosure. I have been too harsh on Jon Ives and team, yesteday for the first fracking time I finally saw a MacBook black and white. It has been subtly refined and rejigged for widescreen and it is sexy and trendy. Let's see a little bit of Ives' fairy dust on the Mac Pros, yeah? Just some subtle rejigging, all I ask. Just a bit of fairy dust. Just a bit.
  • Reply 198 of 300
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Can we please complain about the hard drive bays here? I need at least 4 in this thing. I think I'm gonna cry if there's only two.. AGAIN
  • Reply 199 of 300
    Keeping the same enclosure doesn't mean keeping it the same internally. Apple should be able to cut down on cooling, and PC boards tend to have 4+ SATA (or SATA II) connectors built-in.
  • Reply 200 of 300
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Heh. We'll see. The suspense is already fracking killing me. Good thing I'm going to go for a short run before lunch to clear my mind. Placebo, I am a new member of OMG WWDC OMG!!

Re: Enclosures: Yes, we may see a slightly re-jigged enclosure. I have been too harsh on Jon Ives and team, yesteday for the first fracking time I finally saw a MacBook black and white. It has been subtly refined and rejigged for widescreen and it is sexy and trendy. Let's see a little bit of Ives' fairy dust on the Mac Pros, yeah? Just some subtle rejigging, all I ask. Just a bit of fairy dust. Just a bit.

I think the Power Mac G5 case is practically perfect, that's just my opinion. Some slight adjustments to polish it a bit would be nice though.

And welcome to the cult! Induct more followers!