Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer plans to release a wireless Bluetooth version of its popular mutli-button computer mouse, a recent filing with the Federal Communications Commission has revealed.

In the May 6th filing, Apple provided both interior and exterior photos of the device, which it referred to as both "M6" and the "Apple Bluetooth Mouse" in accompanying documents.

Based on the photos, M6 is aesthetically equivalent to Apple's current USB Mighty Mouse peripheral, sans the USB cable. It requires a Bluetooth enabled Mac, Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later and a USB mouse and keyboard (which are used for setup purposes), according to a draft of a user manual also made available through the FCC.

The mouse will also function as a multi-button scrolling mouse with versions of Mac OS X earlier than 10.4.6, the documents state, though other features will be disabled.

"The Apple Bluetooth Mouse, model number A1197, operates in the 2.4 GHz unlicensed Industrial, Scientific and Medical band and uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum," Apple wrote in the filing. "This device uses the CSR BC417143B BlueCore4 External which is a single chip radio and baseband IC for Bluetooth 2.4 GHz system. Technical Information on the Apple Bluetooth Mouse is provided in the table below."

Along with the filing, the traditionally tight-lipped Apple made a request for confidentiality to the FCC, asking that certain documents such as schematics and block diagrams not be published.

"These documents contain detailed system and equipment description and related information about the product that Apple Computer, Inc. considers to be proprietary, confidential, and a custom design and, otherwise would not release to the general public," Apple EMC and wireless engineer Mike Kreige wrote.

"Since this design is a basis from which future technological products will evolve, Apple Computer, Inc. considers that this information would be of benefit to its competitors, and that disclosure of the information in these documents would give competitors an unfair advantage in the market."

Apple introduced its wired USB Mighty Mouse nearly a year ago, calling it a solution for power users that offers up to four independently programmable buttons, without compromising simplicity for users who prefer just a single-button mouse. It also features a "Scroll Ball" that lets users scroll in any direction -- vertically, horizontally and even diagonally.

Word of the latest Bluetooth Mighty Mouse filing first appeared on the technology Web site DailyTech.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Digg the lab
  • Reply 2 of 112
    craigb6craigb6 Posts: 16member
    I think that most people have been expecting this. The Mighty Mouse has been out for almost a year now, Bluetooth seems the logical next step for the mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Great news!

I'll still be using my MX900 for a while, since I tend to play games, too. My only questionis, what took them so long to go from USB to BT? They should have done so from the start.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Great news!

I'll still be using my MX900 for a while, since I tend to play games, too. My only questionis, what took them so long to go from USB to BT? They should have done so from the start.

Maybe just for profit sake?
  • Reply 5 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It looks like pictures from that alien autopsy video.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Fire in the Sky
  • Reply 7 of 112
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Roswell?
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

Roswell?

News Flash: Steve Jobs is an alien.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Now if only they redesigned the mouse itself.

And why not have two modes: USB and BT? When using USB, the mouse doesn't use the batteries at all. Now that would be innovative.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

And why not have two modes: USB and BT? When using USB, the mouse doesn't use the batteries at all. Now that would be innovative.

I saw a mouse like that, can't remember where. The battery was rechargable and when the batt died, you plugged in the USB cord which recharges the battery. Pretty smart.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    kerrumkerrum Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdcfsu

I saw a mouse like that, can't remember where. The battery was rechargable and when the batt died, you plugged in the USB cord which recharges the battery. Pretty smart.

As long as the cord could disconnect on both ends. The beauty of a wireless mouse is that it is wireless. If it just had a little magnet at the tip (for the mouse end) like the new power cords. As long as the magnet was strong enough, this would be great!

-Kerrum

P.S. Why isn't it August 7th already?
  • Reply 12 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdcfsu

I think you're thinking of the Radtech BT510. I believe the Bluetake BT510 is also the same model. It come in white or black, and sells for $50 +/- $5.

This is fairly useless unless theyve made some other changes. The performance in the mouse accuracy and trackball clogging seem to be plagues with the Mighty Mouse.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kerrum

As long as the cord could disconnect on both ends. The beauty of a wireless mouse is that it is wireless.

P.S. Why isn't it August 7th already?

Yeah, it could disconnect on both ends. The idea was that it was BlueTooth wireless until the battery died. Then it because USB corded while it charged the battery.

Yeah, that's the one. Linkage
  • Reply 14 of 112
    whoop-dee-freakin-doo. a wireless, battery-powered Bluetooth mouse.

i've had one (non Apple) attached to my Mac for a year.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah Apple has the most retarded mouses. I mean seriously. How come Microsoft can beat them at this? Didn't they freakin invent the thing!? How embarassing. It's just so... WRONG. And frankly, puzzling.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    meh, my vote is fake. Those are photoshopped images.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    westwest Posts: 34member
    Am I the only one that noticed that the little user manual says its a laser mouse, not optical? That?s a good improvement.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    My Mighty Mouse is held together by sellotape I've cracked it open so many times to get the crud off the scroll ball wheels. Really bad design. Good idea if you wear latex gloves on your mouse hand.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Digg the lab

My thoughts exactly!

I was wondering though - Didnt SteveO say something about batteries being a stupid thing that they wanted to overcome? Might have been on KeyNoteCrack though...
  • Reply 20 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

meh, my vote is fake. Those are photoshopped images.

Frankly, I suspect this little leak... those photos are nowhere NEAR good enough to be submitted for patent protection, and they are also non-instructive. My vote is: TIB (This Is Bullshit)