Briefly: "Teams" in Leopard, Mac Pro, Photo Booth

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on one of its Web sites has revealed plans to include a web-based calendar client with Leopard. Meanwhile, some new Mac Pro information is trickling in. And Apple has expanded its online Leopard preview with more details on the next-generation of iCal and Photo Booth.

Apple Teams

Over the last couple of days, about a half dozen readers have pointed out this Calendar Server compatibility page at Apple's new open source Mac OS Forge development community Web site. Amongst the listed products that are compatible with Leopard Server's new Calendar Server are "Apple's iCal" and "Apple's Teams."

"Teams is a feature of Mac OS X Server, slated for Leopard (10.5)," reads a brief description. "Among its features, it includes a web-based calendar client which works with the Calendar Server."

Mac Pro

Several readers have also begun to receive their new Mac Pros, however those who have configured their orders with the optional AirPort Extreme wireless card are being quoted wait times of between 2 and 4 weeks.

Meanwhile, Apple has posted a Mac Pro developer note which includes a block diagram of the computer's new Intel architecture. It also reveals that the first Mac Pros are recognized by the identifier string "MacPro1,1."

iCal and Photo Booth 2.0 features added

Over at Apple.com, some new information appears to be turning up on what Leopard holds for iCal and Photo Booth.

On iCal:

"Make things happen with group scheduling in iCal for Leopard. Forget the guesswork and send meeting or activity invitations when you know people can attend. With iCal, you can view attendees? availability before you schedule a meeting. Of course, if you?d rather let iCal do the legwork for you, a new Auto Schedule feature finds the best time for everyone."

"iCal for Leopard introduces a new way to share the files and information you need to carry off a successful meeting or event. With the event dropbox, anyone attending an event can share documents, contacts ? even video ? by simply dragging them into an event. Not using a iCal to schedule your event? You can still stay organized by dropping files into your events and sharing them by sending invitations that contain your dropbox contents."

On Photo Booth:

"Say cheese. Photo Booth is the easy way to take fun self portraits. Just choose an effect, pick a backdrop, and mug for the camera. From there, you can share via friendly integration with iChat and iPhoto."

Apple is also offering a rundown of new features in Xcode 3.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Awesome. It seems we're going to learn more about Leopard piece by piece, bit by bit.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    And this Photobooth page can be found where?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Bheh. Too much information on a little unuseful gadget called Photobooth. A shame Steve mentioned this in his Keynote. It's for children.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

Bheh. Too much information on a little unuseful gadget called Photobooth. A shame Steve mentioned this in his Keynote. It's for children.

I bet the Photobooth app was given more coverage because Steve (at the last moment) decided to pull some of the cooler (now "secret") features.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
  • Reply 6 of 23
    While iCal is somewhat useful, I never used it and never cared. I always thought that it needed network capabilities beyond 'publish' and now it seems that it will. The auto-schedule feature sounds really cool. This could be a huge improvement over my FileMaker solution that I've never quite had the time to polish as nice as iCal.

Waiting anxiously for our Quad 3Ghz / 4GB / 1TB MacPro to arrive...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Has anyone been able to locate information about RAID-5 support on the new Mac Pro?

In addition to the 4 SATA connections that go to the 4 drive trays, there seems to be 2 more SATA sockets on the motherboard according to the architecture diagram. I am slightly disappointed that Apple did not bring at least one of them to an eSATA connector on the back. The external enclosure market appears to be moving in eSATA direction...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    thetoethetoe Posts: 84member
    Teams is described here:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/l...ikiserver.html

They don't capitalize the T, but obviously this is it. It's more than just a Wiki server because it also integrates with the calendar and mail services.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

Sounds perfect for you.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I've checked it out, and maybe I'm wrong, but macosforge.com does NOT seem to be owned OR operated by Apple, or affiliated with Apple in any way.

Why is it being touted as a site run by Apple?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It is a project launched by Apple, and many of its contributors are Apple employees.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Teams

Over the last couple of days, about a half dozen readers have pointed out this Calendar Server compatibility page at Apple's new open source Mac OS Forge development community Web site. Amongst the listed products that are compatible with Leopard Server's new Calendar Server are "Apple's iCal" and "Apple's Teams."

Has it really been "about a half dozen readers" pointing this out "over the last couple of days" ...

OR has it in reality been one reader pointing it out soon after. I mean jeez, the keynote wasn't even 24 hours past when you posted this.

Edit: I did not realize this was just posted today. It seems my profile options have gone all whack and changed the time display for me. Not sure how that happened.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold

OR has it in reality been one reader pointing it out about 22 hours ago. I mean jeez, the keynote wasn't even 24 hours past when you posted this.

Close to 48 hours, actually.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    We used to have a series of custom applications, in-house at NeXT, and one in particular, RoomZ, that reserved your room schedules/boardrooms was constantly used. Looks like iCal has integrated its features.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    thetoethetoe Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

We used to have a series of custom applications, in-house at NeXT, and one in particular, RoomZ, that reserved your room schedules/boardrooms was constantly used. Looks like iCal has integrated its features.

If one is looking for that sort of functionality, this product has been around for ever:

http://www.quickeys.com/products/iot.html

We used to use it constantly until we moved to OS X before it did.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Is Apple Teams/Wiki Server done with PHP, WebObjects or Ruby on Rails?

I'm curious what Apple's plans are for WebObjects and if they are going to try to promote it or let it wither on the vine.

Most open source content management systems are built with PHP so this seems like the obvious choice if they are repurposing an existing project like they did Blojsom. (Actually Blojsom is not the best example since its Java.)

Or will Apple choose to use the new hotness on the block...Ruby on Rails?

If you haven't seen it already, check out 37signals web based calandar for Backpack.

Puts iCal web publishing to shame.

http://www.backpackit.com/calendar
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Sounds perfect for you.

LOL

But seriously, although I can see his point of view that PhotoBooth is quite gimmicky and elementary, it doesn't change the fact that last night my friends and I spent close to an hour in front of my buddies MacBook Pro using PhotoBooth and having a blast.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It is a project launched by Apple, and many of its contributors are Apple employees.

yep. Domain registered by Dr. Ernie who works for Apple. He's their marketing guy for Darwin and Open Source.

http://whois.domaintools.com/macosforge.com
  • Reply 19 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark

Has anyone been able to locate information about RAID-5 support on the new Mac Pro?

In addition to the 4 SATA connections that go to the 4 drive trays, there seems to be 2 more SATA sockets on the motherboard according to the architecture diagram. I am slightly disappointed that Apple did not bring at least one of them to an eSATA connector on the back. The external enclosure market appears to be moving in eSATA direction...

I haven't looked at it yet, so I don't know if its true. But if it is, you can get, inexpensively, an external SATA cable/connector module that fits into one of the slot cover spaces. Cyberguys.com sells them.

One item #202 0259, has a SATA connector, a 4 pin Molex power, and a 3 pin fan power connector for $5.49.

They have had, and still might have, a bracket with just two SATA connectors, but I don't see it right now.

Ther also have SATA cables. You might need a shielded one.

I hate losing a slot, but if you need it, it's possible, assuming the computer does have those connectors inside.

Apple has no direct support for RAID 5, but others do.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy

LOL

But seriously, although I can see his point of view that PhotoBooth is quite gimmicky and elementary, it doesn't change the fact that last night my friends and I spent close to an hour in front of my buddies MacBook Pro using PhotoBooth and having a blast.

Not everything has to be serious!