Duo 2 all over T.V.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

That would be 7,5 months ago, not 4. Plenty of time to update.

Oh yeah, the 15" was released in January, but the 17" was released in April.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

I never checked the website...Prob should of done that, but the commercials did say Core 2 Duo now in Dell laptops, could be they are just advertising right before they come out.

I doubt they were advertising an unannounced product that they can't sell. I think you're confusing Core 2 Duo with Core Duo, or maybe you saw an ad for a Core 2 Duo desktop and mistakenly assumed these chips were available for laptops. Check the Dell TV ads here. No Core 2 Duo laptops anywhere. I checked the HP site as well. Merom should be out in a matter of days and Apple will probably get them first. Be patient.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

That's not the case - it's a simpe drop in replacement for the current chips, on the same chipset. If it's not soldered down, that is....

David

I'm sure there's a setting by which it can work as a drop in replacement, but I can't imagine that you'd want to use a 64bit chip on a 32bit system. While possible, I don't think Apple would allow this in their high-end model.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

I'm sure there's a setting by which it can work as a drop in replacement, but I can't imagine that you'd want to use a 64bit chip on a 32bit system. While possible, I don't think Apple would allow this in their high-end model.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Processor connects via the socket to the northbridge which connects to the memory.

If the socket, northbridge and memory all are built as 64bit compatible, then replacing the processor should turn the system into a 64bit system.

So... If the socket and northbridge both support 64bit, why would the northbridge to memory connection not? Could it in fact be made to not?
  • Reply 25 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito

I doubt they were advertising an unannounced product that they can't sell. I think you're confusing Core 2 Duo with Core Duo, or maybe you saw an ad for a Core 2 Duo desktop and mistakenly assumed these chips were available for laptops. Check the Dell TV ads here. No Core 2 Duo laptops anywhere. I checked the HP site as well. Merom should be out in a matter of days and Apple will probably get them first. Be patient.

Sweet mother of Murgatroyd, Intel should swap marketing know-how with Apple in exchange for... something! Their naming scheme for these chips is unnecessarily confusing and downright thick-headed.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Apple survived, and prospered in its own little way, for MANY years while being sometimes ahead of the pc performance line, and sometimes behind it.

OK, going to Intel has lost the rare chance to be ahead, but being behind in raw processor performance hasn't killed them before. You buy a Mac for the OS, not for the brand of processor.

Apple are competing with Dell no more, or less, than they were with PPC.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And you wouldn't believe the level of interest Apple's Intel switch caused with PC owners. Honestly. People I would never expect to know, now know about Apple computers. I believe the marketing/advertising term is "borrowed interest"... Apple gained from the cache Intel built up with PC owners by their constant bombardment with Intel messages. It worked. It really worked.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    Apple often delays releasing a new model to give the older model time to clear the channels. They don't like to have a bunch of extra iMacs on their hands. I like to check pcprices.net and check on the "in stock" status of the various retailers. When you see a lot of red bubbles, then a new model is coming soon! (Confirmed! )

I'm totally confused about which Intel chip is what and when, so I'm ignoring the Intel side of the equation.

-jay
  • Reply 29 of 105
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple

Apple often delays releasing a new model to give the older model time to clear the channels. They don't like to have a bunch of extra iMacs on their hands. I like to check pcprices.net and check on the "in stock" status of the various retailers. When you see a lot of red bubbles, then a new model is coming soon! (Confirmed! )

I'm totally confused about which Intel chip is what and when, so I'm ignoring the Intel side of the equation.

-jay

Dammit! iMac is mostly green bubbles!
  • Reply 30 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

Dammit! iMac is mostly green bubbles!

As a matter of fact, all the computers are. (EXCEPT THE MAC PRO!!! THEY'RE ABOUT TO UPDATE THE MAC PRO OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!! J/K)

<Puts on the pointy Predicto!! Hat>

Core2Duo MBP and iMac will be available by the 5th of September. Those bubbles indicate to me that Apple either has already, or will very soon start silently shipping the computers with updated Core2Duo processors, enabling them via a software update on the 5th, along with the official announcement.

<Dives into bomb shelter. You hear the sound of dice being rolled.>
  • Reply 31 of 105
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Apple is selling MacBooks faster than they can make them, so I don't think Apple is having any problems selling MacBooks (or even Mac Book Pros for that matter), so why advertise and why upgrade?

Maybe when demand slows down, Apple will look at upgrading...
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

As a matter of fact, all the computers are. (EXCEPT THE MAC PRO!!! THEY'RE ABOUT TO UPDATE THE MAC PRO OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!! J/K)

<Puts on the pointy Predicto!! Hat>

Core2Duo MBP and iMac will be available by the 5th of September. Those bubbles indicate to me that Apple either has already, or will very soon start silently shipping the computers with updated Core2Duo processors, enabling them via a software update on the 5th, along with the official announcement.

<Dives into bomb shelter. You hear the sound of dice being rolled.>

Where do I get me one of these "Predicto!! Hats"?
  • Reply 33 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

Where do I get me one of these "Predicto!! Hats"?

The Ministry of Silly Hats today issued a statement regarding the mysterious 'Predicto' who has been causing rampant speculation and rumor mongering on Apple related forums recently. Said Minister Joseph Brightling, "While we have yet to clearly identify this individual, or the legitimacy of his claims of inside knowlege of the computer industry, we are not taking these seamingly random appearances lightly. Persons such as this 'Predicto' who abuse otherwise respectable Silly Hats are considered by this administration to be terrorists, and we are exerting our full efforts to find and incarcerate such perpetrators. For more information on 'Predicto', including eye witness reports of his appearnce, please refer to http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=65570&page=15, post number 593. We must strongly caution the public that Predicto is believed to be mentally instable, should be considered armed and dangerous, and should under no circumstances be approached. In particular, beware of the Silly Hat, as it is very pointy, and could easily put your eye out. Upright citizens are requested and expected to report to the local constabulary should they see Predicto or come to possess any knowledge of his current whereabouts. Your cooperation is appreciated."
  • Reply 34 of 105
    <Appears in a Puff of Smoke, wearing a Pointy Hat and Flame Retardant Merlin Robes!>

Predicto sayeth: Apple to introduce two new models, the Mac Tablet and the Mac Tablet Pro, convertable tablet variations built on the MacBook and MacBook Pro models.

<Waves his hand and with a flash and a puff of smoke, is GONE!!! sorta. You can see his robe caught in the trap door...>

<Ripping sound>

<Tattered robe remnants disappear and the trap door shuts tight. You can swear you hear cursing...>
  • Reply 35 of 105
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    I would think they would make a big deal out of it being their first 64-bit laptop (just for marketing, for-go the "tiger isn't full 64-bit", "64-bit only makes a difference in some apps" arguement). I'd imagine they'd make as bid a deal about the merom MBP (forget about the MB getting it for a while, they can't keep up with the B2S demand!) as they did about the PM G5 when it was introduced. Also, kinda makes sense now (at least to me) why the MBP enclosure didn't change from G4 to Core Duo, it was still a 32-bit machine. Maybe with merom we'll get a new design too, just guessing though. Either way, I don't care how long it takes. I don't NEED 64-bit, I just like the overall increase in performance. As long as it's out by January next year I'm happy.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Processor connects via the socket to the northbridge which connects to the memory.

If the socket, northbridge and memory all are built as 64bit compatible, then replacing the processor should turn the system into a 64bit system.

So... If the socket and northbridge both support 64bit, why would the northbridge to memory connection not? Could it in fact be made to not?

The only thing that needs to be 64bit compatible is the processor and the drivers. EM64T was drop-in compatible on all existing motherboards that supported Prescott.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    Am I the only one that read the topic title and thought:

"Holy snikies! Am I so out of it that secret plans of a Powerbook Duo 2 leaked out, and I missed it?"

• Reply 38 of 105
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

I was watching TV last night, and I must of seen 4 or 5 duo 2 commercials, I think they were all Dell. What the hell takes Apple so long? Why does Dell have laptops out now with the new chips and we're still stuck with the old ones? I think this means that we could see the Merom chips in the new MBP before Sept. 12th....I hope...Does anyone else think this, now being that other companies are selling laptops with the new chip?

I watch a LOT of TV and I am 100% Certain they were NOT Core 2 Duo commercials. They were Core Duo commercials. I have recordings of them and NONE of them say "Core 2 Duo" nor display the Core 2 Duo logo. You were halucinating sir. So this thread is FAKE, Phoney and has no basis in FACT.
    Quote:

I never checked the website...Prob should of done that, but the commercials did say Core 2 Duo now in Dell laptops, could be they are just advertising right before they come out. In any event, Apple should be doing the same thing, because now people that see these commercials are going to go straight to Dell because they are advertising first. Especially with this back to school stuff that's going on, Apple definitly should of tried something here, but you don't even see commercials for Apple/B2S sales at all. The only way you'll know you get a discount on anything from Apple is through there website. A little off topic, but Apple really needs to jump on opportunities like this to try to get ahead. They should really be advertising the sh!t out of the fact you can dual boot OS x and Windows too, but they're quiet about everything.

I am challenging your assertion any of them said Core 2 Duo or displayed the Core 2 Duo Logo. I have the recordings and none say Core 2 Duo. They all show the plain old Core Duo logo at the end.

As for Apple not advertising for MacBooks etc, they can't make them fast enough to meet demand. Are you DAFT man? Any advertising would exacerbate the current demand exceeds supply situation. Apple is in the process of trying to find a third contractor to make more of them at once. You are looking to criticize something that is an illusion in your head man.

As for the idea Apple will not upgrade their processors to Core 2 Duo ASAP, this is an absurd assumption-unsubstantiated worry that also has no basis in fact. They are already shipping Core 2 Mac Pros. If everyone would just please BREATHE and give the Intel enough time to deliver Merom Core 2 Duo processors to the Apple manufacturing plants in accordance with Apple's longstanding Just-In-Time inventory practices, the Core 2 Duo transition will be complete by October.

Some of you "The Sky Is Falling" types here need to take a chill pill or lay off the caffeine for a few weeks. The first shipment of Merom Core 2 Duo processors to Apple plants isn't even scheduled until the first or second week of September. Give it a rest and I think you'll see Merom inside a newly designed black anodized aluminum MBP by mid-September at the latest.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia

I watch a LOT of TV and I am 100% Certain they were NOT Core 2 Duo commercials. They were Core Duo commercials. I have recordings of them and NONE of them say "Core 2 Duo" nor display the Core 2 Duo logo. You were halucinating sir. So this thread is FAKE, Phoney and has no basis in FACT.

Whoa! A TV Professional. And passionate about TV.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard

Apple is selling MacBooks faster than they can make them, so I don't think Apple is having any problems selling MacBooks (or even Mac Book Pros for that matter), so why advertise and why upgrade?

Maybe when demand slows down, Apple will look at upgrading...

Because new chips at the price point for the model of computer have been released and to hold off too long will show the consumer and the market that Apple is not serious about competing with the newest technology available to them at a given price point. Apple has a bit of leeway, but if they are 3 month behind Dell and Company in upgrading their computers at a given price point to the latest technology then they will get a reputation of lagging behind the industry, I don't think this is something that a company that prides itself on innovation would want.

Apple used to be a trend setter in adopting new technology, I understand their caution on releasing new models with the Conroe and Morem till they have a supply of these chips that can keep up with projected demand. However, I don't think that they want to get too far behind the other hardware companies. If they do then one must question their commitment to compete in a given market segment or the stability of their relationship with Intel, if the delay is caused by constricted supply lines while other customers (competition) is receiving enough of the chips to ship computers early on while Apple's more meager needs are not able to be filled for weeks after the competition begins shipping computers using these chips.

Bottom line: to compete on price/performance in hardware Apple is going to have to keep up with the competition a little better than they have in the past. This is especially true since they are using the same chips as the competition is today.