(mac Os-x) (10.4.8) (update)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Stephen have you used any speech-to-text apps? That's something I always thought Apple should add--if they have have text to speech, why not speech to text? They have voice recognition, and now it's more accurate, and will constantly improve, so they should definitely add dictation. Hopefully to 10.5 but if not then 10.6. That would help a ton of people in terms of Universal Access. And perhaps people like would even use it sometimes.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

95% cruft is right. The maturity index is especially low today.

I feel like a junior high hall monitor.

EDIT: Decruftification completed.

Hey, thanks lundy. It was embarassing having those clueless posts of mine around....
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Done That Already In The Past, But It Didn't Help. Anymore Suggestions?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Cruft... interesting.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    What Are You Thinking Now Boss?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    He's like our own Owen Meany!

Now that I'm done being snide, I can tell you, Steven, that:

-We have no idea what is and isn't going to be fixed through the next software update.

-Your problems do not seem to be universally experienced and thus aren't prime candidates for being fixed in an update.

-Even when something is a definite issue that everybody experiences, it isn't necessarily fixed in an update.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I would say archive and reinstall your current OS from the disks you got with the machine. The archive is for that rare case where all your stuff gets messed up, but you should be in good shape with everything staying where it was before.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    WHO'S Owen Meany? I'M SORRY DUDE, BUT IF YOU CHECKOUT APPLE'S DICUSSION PAGE, THEN YOU'LL SEE THERE'S NEED FOR ANOTHER UPDATE REAL QUICK. ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT (10.4.7) IS FLAWLESS?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Anyone who says 10.4.7 is flawless is a fool...and NO ONE here is saying 10.4.7 is flawless. My point earlier in comparing 10.4.7 to 10.0 is that the more recent is a much better OS than it used to be.

What we are also saying is that it's likely your problems are NOT universal and likely not going to be fixed by a 10.4.8 update. We're trying to offer help and if you aren't willing to take it then that's your problem.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Owen Meany is a character from the John Irving novel "A Prayer For Owen Meany" and Irving makes Owen Meany always speak in capital letters.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    COSMO NUT,

DON'T EVER CALL ME A FOOL, ALRIGHT!!! SECOND, I DON'T DARE TO TRY THAT UNTIL MY BUDDY COMES BACK HOME FROM GUATEMALA BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO RISK LOSING ANYTHING. ANYMORE IDEAS THAT IS LESS RISKY? ALSO, YOU'RE NUTS IF YOU WANT APPLE TO QUIT DEVELOPING TIGER BECAUSE I BELIVE THAT THERE'S ALOT MORE WORK TO BE DONE BEFORE "LEOPARD" GETS OUT!!!
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL

COSMO NUT,

DON'T EVER CALL ME A FOOL, ALRIGHT!!! SECOND, I DON'T DARE TO TRY THAT UNTIL MY BUDDY COMES BACK HOME FROM GUATEMALA BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO RISK LOSING ANYTHING. ANYMORE IDEAS THAT IS LESS RISKY? ALSO, YOU'RE NUTS IF YOU WANT APPLE TO QUIT DEVELOPING TIGER BECAUSE I BELIVE THAT THERE'S ALOT MORE WORK TO BE DONE BEFORE "LEOPARD" GETS OUT!!!

Ok, calm down for a moment. No one has suggested that Apple is going to stop development of Tiger. Not at all. All the he is saying is that the problems that you are facing may be more specific to your situation, and may not be fixed with future updates.

Now, if you want to elaborate as to what is going on, I am certain that the kind people here would be more than willing to help you.

Also, as a side note. Apple probably is focusing all of their energy into making Leopard ready for Prime Time right now. So the frequency in which updates come out will probably lessen as we get closer to Leopard release. That normally happens in any development process; it happened with Panther when Tiger was about to come out, and it will happen with Tiger the closer we get to Leopard.

Now, all that being said, what seems to be the issue? We might be able to help out, especially since this is your friend's machine (if I understand you correctly).

-- EDIT --

Ok, obviously I need to read more. The Safari issue may be something that we can fix. Have you tried running "Repair Permissions" yet? I have noticed that when funky things start to go weird on me, this helps a lot. It is in Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Select the hard drive, and then click on "Verify Disk Permissions". Then do a "Repair Disk Permissions" This can help a lot. This might also help with your Software Update issue.

Mail -- This is a new one on me. However, if I had to guess, I would say that Apple put the space in there intentionally, so when you reply to someone, your signature doesn't get pressed up against the prior message.

A couple of questions though? How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Also, how much ram is installed into the machine?
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

COSMO NUT,

DON'T EVER CALL ME A FOOL, ALRIGHT!!!

I didn't. Read the first sentence of my earlier post again:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Anyone who says 10.4.7 is flawless is a fool...and NO ONE here is saying 10.4.7 is flawless.

Quote:

ALSO, YOU'RE NUTS IF YOU WANT APPLE TO QUIT DEVELOPING TIGER BECAUSE I BELIVE THAT THERE'S ALOT MORE WORK TO BE DONE BEFORE "LEOPARD" GETS OUT!!!

I never said that Apple should quit developing Tiger. I was only comparing today's Mac OS to what it used to be. Today's is much better...though not without flaws.

It's all good, baby.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    I can vouch for 10.0 being an absolute bear (putting it kindly). It was unstable, not really usable, Classic was an absolute joke, and SLOW AS HELL

10.4.7 is vastly superior in my minds eye.

To put it another way 10.0 vs 10.4 is like comparing Windows 3.1 to Windows XP. Albeit, Windows XP isn't exactly a "crown jewel", it is still vastly superior to Windows 3.1; then again, so is paper machete, but that's just splitting hairs....
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Well My Mail Is Acting-up. When I Try To Delete The Extra Space At The Bottom Of My Signature It'll Just Delete My Whole Entire Signature. Also, Safari Is The Worst Since "tiger" Came Out Because Everytime I Quit Safari It'll Come-up With This Unexpectly Quit Message Everytime That I Quit My Safari Or If A Second Window Overlapping And When I Close It, Then It'll Shut-off The Entire Program Completely. Also, Let Me Remind You That Apple Came Out With Mac Os-x (10.3.9) Panther Update Just (2 Weeks) Before They've Released "tiger" Out. So, There's Plenty Of Time For Them To Do 2 More Updates Since Apple's Got 'til Spring Time To Rollout The Red Carpet On "leopard".
  • Reply 56 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Well My Mail Is Acting-up. When I Try To Delete The Extra Space At The Bottom Of My Signature It'll Just Delete My Whole Entire Signature. Also, Safari Is The Worst Since "tiger" Came Out Because Everytime I Quit Safari It'll Come-up With This Unexpectly Quit Message Everytime That I Quit My Safari Or If A Second Window Overlapping And When I Close It, Then It'll Shut-off The Entire Program Completely. Also, Let Me Remind You That Apple Came Out With Mac Os-x (10.3.9) Panther Update Just (2 Weeks) Before They've Released "tiger" Out. So, There's Plenty Of Time For Them To Do 2 More Updates Since Apple's Got 'til Spring Time To Rollout The Red Carpet On "leopard".

I was having a similar problem with my G3 iBook and Mail. Almost every time it would freeze up on close or shutdown.

Having said that, the problem was fixed with the last two updates from Apple, so I have no suggestions that would specifically apply to your sitch.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Stephen,

People have made specific suggestions for specific problems that you have noticed with your Mac.

Please either try the suggestions or say why you can't.

Continuous pleading for a non-existent "10.4.8" is unproductive and any further posts of that nature will be unceremoniously deleted.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    PEOPLE, I HAVE BEFORE TRIED BEFORE ON THESE THINGS. FACE FACTS, WE NEED AN UPDATE. NOBODY'S TRYING TO MAKE YOU UPDATE YOU GUYS, BUT FOR SOME PEOPLE IT'LL HELP ALOT!!!
  • Reply 59 of 64
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

PEOPLE, I HAVE BEFORE TRIED BEFORE ON THESE THINGS.

Have you? What specifically? What what results?
  • Reply 60 of 64
    I'VE TRIED DISK REPAIR A FEW MONTHS AGO, BUT IT DIDN'T HELP A BIT.