Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    I sure hope my PowerBook falls under the recal.

God I need a new battery.

Can't wait to get home and check
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

I sure hope my PowerBook falls under the recal.

God I need a new battery.

Can't wait to get home and check

If its not blown up yet!
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caboose

If its not blown up yet!

hmmm, I left if on the couch... so does that mean if it blows up I get a new couch too?

Thank god I did a full backup last night...
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Warbrain

Yes, but different how? The only noticeable difference is the size of the battery between the two models.

Also N.B. it's not all the 12" iBook batteries, I've got 2 and they don't have those magic numbers.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    sony probably never made any batts for the 14"
  • Reply 26 of 63
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm really curious to see if mine's involved. One more hour.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

hmmm, I left if on the couch... so does that mean if it blows up I get a new couch too?

If you read the fine print, you'll see this: "...not responsible for blow'd up couches..."
  • Reply 28 of 63
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    doh... at least one of my batteries is involved.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    I just tried to apply for the replacement online, and even though my battery does fall within the affected range, the online form says it?s not a valid number. I called Apple about it. They told me that the online form is wrong. They are experiencing technical difficulties with the servers (probably too much traffic). They asked me to try again later? they weren?t able to do it over the phone. If you?re having trouble with the form, don?t bother calling Apple just yet? try the form again later tonight or tomorrow.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    tinktink Posts: 395member

I think my 867Mhz Tibook may be in this recall? I'm at work now so I can't check the serial # but I purchased it late 2003???

Of course I finally bought a new battery this morning after procrastinating for months..\
  • Reply 31 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The recall, as far as I can tell, only affects Aluminum PowerBooks, not Titanium ones.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    bauchbauch Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leisuremonkey

I just tried to apply for the replacement online, and even though my battery does fall within the affected range, the online form says it?s not a valid number. I called Apple about it. They told me that the online form is wrong. They are experiencing technical difficulties with the servers (probably too much traffic). They asked me to try again later? they weren?t able to do it over the phone. If you?re having trouble with the form, don?t bother calling Apple just yet? try the form again later tonight or tomorrow.

I called them because I wasn't able to get through on the website. The guy typed in my information and it too said I wasn't elligible even though my battery met all the criteria. He was able to override the system and order me a replacement battery through the exchange program.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Mine's not affected.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Ugh. My 12" PBG4 batt. is ZZ427...just below the beginning of the recall at ZZ428. I may call and see how lenient they are. This is my fucking third dead battery from them. It's been dead for months. Like a few months after I bought this thing the battery died, then I got a new one, and it died after a few months, then again with a THIRD one. Apple has shitty batteries. Always has. Why don't they pick a company that can actually make a battery that doesn't suck ass.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Nope: just a love-seat, the cost of the third cusion is eaten up in legal fees.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

Ugh. My 12" PBG4 batt. is ZZ427...just below the beginning of the recall at ZZ428. I may call and see how lenient they are. This is my fucking third dead battery from them. It's been dead for months. Like a few months after I bought this thing the battery died, then I got a new one, and it died after a few months, then again with a THIRD one. Apple has shitty batteries. Always has. Why don't they pick a company that can actually make a battery that doesn't suck ass.

Why don't you try and learn how to calibrate?
  • Reply 37 of 63
    I typed in my serial number and my computer clears, but my battery does not and it is within the range (it is a 12" PB G4 w/ battery serial number 3K5203). What is up, is the site not working just yet.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Why is nobody commenting that this is yet another battery recall by Apple. Sure they use Sony batts, but the headline on CNN reads Apple recalls ....

How many batt recalls are they going to face? My PB had its batt recalled once, now again I qualify..for the replacement batt, and the same machine had two replacement power bricks. Why can they not get this right?
  • Reply 39 of 63
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Chucker thanks for calling me a retard. I am like a calibration expert by now. I probably know more about it than you. Apple's batteries Suck™. On the other hand, my ORIGINAL iPod battery still works great. Granted I haven't used it much in a year or two but still.. wow!
  • Reply 40 of 63
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

The recall, as far as I can tell, only affects Aluminum PowerBooks, not Titanium ones.

Anyone recall the lead-acid batteries in the PowerBook 100s?